Menu

If you sew, knit, crochet, or anything else I've missed...

what do you make? The only sewing type craft I have ever done is cross-stitch and I made a few things. I sort of enjoyed it, but I didn't develop a passion for it. That was years ago. I would like to learn something, but I'm not sure what. My aunt does everything under the sun, including belonging to a spinning guild. She lives about 1.5 hours away but I could make a day trip out of it. But I need to decide what I want to learn. I love the idea of quilting but I'm afraid that will be too ambitious. But what would I make with other types of sewing projects?

And what do you call crochet and knitting? Is that technically still sewing?

signed,

sew clueless :tongue_smilie:

I knit & crochet hats, fingerless gloves, dishrags, and small projects. Things that I will actually complete. I have made baby blankets but they usually sit around forever.

Quilts are nice but they take a lot of time and a lot of room. Lots of measuring and cutting, ironing and sewing. Not my idea of fun.

I do all the fiber crafts. Sewing for clothes for dd, household, and gifts. Knit and Crochet for fun but also for functional things. Cross stitch is usually done small and on a gift (I am not a fan of constantly looking at a pattern). Quilting for functional things and decorative touches.

Of these I like quilting and knitting best because you can do them with minimal time looking at a pattern so they are easy to do while watching tv, talking with friends, or taking to the park. Of the two, quilting is the easiest to learn.

A lot of people consider all types of sewing "needle crafts" and then work with fiber, i.e. any type of yarn, to be fiber crafts or textile crafts like spinning, weaving, knitting, crochet, felting. At least that is how people in my spinning guild refer to their different hobbies. I'm not sure this is technically accurate and I'm sure a tailor would bristle to be in the same category as cross-stitch.

I weave, spin, knit and I used to do French hand-sewing. I've also quilted. If you are looking for a hobby try taking a few different sort of classes. Try out a guild meeting or two. Consider your space at home and your budget and how social you want your hobby to be. Then think about what types of finished project would really motivate you. Knitting and crochet take up the least amount of space. Well, unless you develop a yarn buying habit.

I sew and just started knitting and crochet.

If you want to start with quilting, you can make small things like placemats.

Knitting is very neat, but crochet goes faster (at least for a beginner) but with either one, you only need to learn 1-2 stitches and you can create something.

Im crocheting an ugly blanket (really ugly and mismatched colors) and only using a single crochet for the whole thing.

I love to knit. I've made tons of things, all kinds of hats, scarves, blankets, mittens and my new favorite thing because my daughters love them, are fingerless mitts. Just got a new pattern off Ravelry the other day and it's driving me bonkers but I love a challenge.

I don't think it is considered sewing though. I despise sewing.

I've done needlepoint and cross stitch in the past, my eyes are too old now to deal with it.

Crochet- cotton dishclothes and potholders, baby blankets and other baby things, hats, scarves, handbags, doilies.

Sew-dresses, skirts, sleep pants, pillow cases, curtains, potholders, recieving blankets, bibs, burp cloths.

I also do regular embroidery, mostly for embellishments, not cross stich (it is too rigid for me, one mistake and your whole project is off kilter)

My latest project was a dress similar to this for my grown daughter. She requested it for her birthday.

http://store.vivcore.com/products/daisy-cutter-sundress

Edited by Onceuponatime

I've been making small rag quilts for my friends who are having babies this month. Look it up on the internet. Easy to do and they look really cute when they're done. We are going to attempt larger ones for my sons this summer :o)

Jodie

A lot of people consider all types of sewing "needle crafts" and then work with fiber, i.e. any type of yarn, to be fiber crafts or textile crafts like spinning, weaving, knitting, crochet, felting. At least that is how people in my spinning guild refer to their different hobbies. I'm not sure this is technically accurate and I'm sure a tailor would bristle to be in the same category as cross-stitch.

:iagree:

I crochet and knit, which are portable, so I can drag them along to various places where I'm waiting for kids. It's a great way to fill time productively. I make functional stuff like sweaters, hats, socks, mittens. I make silly stuff like amigurumi toys. I've had people pay me to make them stuff, like making all the lace collars for dds' Irish Dance school. I also do some needle felting, and am generally willing to try pretty much any fiber art. I stink at wet felting. I'd love to take up weaving.

Sewing is fun because it's faster. I mostly make clothing, plus things like seasonal pillowcases for the kids bed, and curtains. I'm just finishing up helping make costumes for a Shakespeare play that my kids are in (Much Ado About Nothing -- I was in charge of 9.5 costumes out of 14, all done in about 2 weeks -- it took about 10 hours a day, and I'm sort of sick of sewing at the moment).

Next up I'll be trying my hand at making swimsuits. Younger dd is pretty much impossible to buy off-the-rack swimsuits and pants for -- tall and skinny. I can't imagine what people do when they can't sew and are forced to make do with whatever the stores have.

Re-fashioning is a fun spinoff of sewing -- taking stuff you find at Goodwill or yard sales, and making it into something more usable.

I tried crocheting but it didn't click with me. I always wanted to learn to weave. Two years ago I took lessons and eventually found a used loom. I love it! But, it isn't for everyone. I'm certainly not the best weaver in the world. Most weavers do lots of other fiber arts (and been doing them for years) and seem to know just how yarn types and colors work together. I'm completely lost, but I still love it.

I didn't really like the way most crocheted items looked and don't wear crocheted things. I'm practical. I like that I can weave practical things (tea towels, wash clothes) as well as pretty things (baby blankets, shawls).

I think the thing to do is try many different types of crafts and see which one sticks. I have a friend who didn't do much sewing or fiber crafts and she took up quilting. She loved it.

I weave, spin, knit and I used to do French hand-sewing. I've also quilted. If you are looking for a hobby try taking a few different sort of classes. Try out a guild meeting or two. Consider your space at home and your budget and how social you want your hobby to be. Then think about what types of finished project would really motivate you. Knitting and crochet take up the least amount of space. Well, unless you develop a yarn buying habit.

Yay! Another weaver on the board. Are you a member of Weavolution?

I am a beginning/intermediate quilter. I have completed one quilt -- I made the top, someone else quilted it, I did the binding. It's "couch throw" sized. A bit bigger than lap, but not bed sized at all.

I've also made a few small wall hanging quilts for gifts, as well as crafty items -- wine glass slippers (a coaster that slips onto the base of a wine stem), kindle covers, ipad sleeves/covers, things like that. I'm working on a few other quilts right now. Slow going, all by hand, until I get my new machine later this summer.

Once I get my machine I plan to do at least one Linus Project (or similar) quilt per year, but it's just too slow by hand.

what do you make? The only sewing type craft I have ever done is cross-stitch and I made a few things. I sort of enjoyed it, but I didn't develop a passion for it. That was years ago. I would like to learn something, but I'm not sure what. My aunt does everything under the sun, including belonging to a spinning guild. She lives about 1.5 hours away but I could make a day trip out of it. But I need to decide what I want to learn. I love the idea of quilting but I'm afraid that will be too ambitious. But what would I make with other types of sewing projects?

signed,

Quilting isn't too ambitious, really. Start with a simple pattern that is just straight seams and go for it! I started because a friend needed "just one square" made and so I made that for her -- it was painfully difficult for me at first! -- and then an aunt was working on a project I loved the sound of (a diary quilt, where each block represents something, and so you just do one block at a time....) and I liked that and it was my first project, sort of. I started it and another quilt at the same time, finished the other, still working on the Diary Quilt but doing a quilt of 25 different blocks was a great way to learn and still wind up with something that means something to me.

There are tons of good videos, tutorials, etc. out there. go for it!

I despise sewing. I can hem a pair of pants, sew on a button (and endless karate badges it seems), make a pillow cover. Just the basics and I only do it when I have to.

My grandmother taught me to crochet and I enjoy it if only because I can't pick up a crochet hook without thinking of her. However, I'm not a fan of the finished look of crochet, so I rarely do it.

Knitting is my passion. Love it! I've made hats, scarves, sweaters, blankets, bookmarks, socks, mittens, cowls, dishcloths, bags etc etc. I love the various looks of finished knitted items, and it's my favorite creative outlet.

I love quilting. I have downsized my ideas though. Instead of bed quilts I do table runners, wall hangings, throw size quilts, etc. I simply don't have the time for the big ones.:tongue_smilie:

I would look at things you enjoy having or would like for others to have that you have done.

I also have done hang applique and hand piecing and LOVE doing both of them. Right now I am doing the piecing for the small quilt projects on the machine and hand quilting them. I simply can't bring myself to do the machine quilting. I tried it but I never like the finished result. It always looks like.......it is machine quilted. ;)

I'm still a pretty new knitter, but I have knit scarves, hats and a couple of shawls. I LOVE my shawl for the porch...much nicer than a jacket.

I am DETERMINED to teach myself socks. Not sure where to start right now. I'm finishing two scarves and a shawl and then I'm going to tackle them.

I love knitting on circular needles. I prefer wood or bamboo, but a friend gifted me with the Knitpics acrylic interchangeables and it has been great having all those sizes available at one time.

That said, I can't decide if I want to try socks on DPNs, two circs or magic loop! TOO MANY CHOICES!

I sew, knit, and crochet.

Sewing: I do mostly home dec stuff (throw pillows, curtains, etc). I recently did a hang-from-the-doorway puppet theater for my 4yo's bday. I also have sewn several mei tai baby carriers for friends lately.

Knit and crochet: I do mostly baby gifts for people and knitwear for my kids. Lots and lots of hats. :tongue_smilie: Today my daughter and I are taking a pile of preemie hats to the NICU at our children's hospital. I'm working on the sweater-that-will-never-end for my mother. She might get it for her bday in November. Maybe.

I have a craft blog, if you want to some of the things I work on. http://lookwhaterinmade.blogspot.com/

I knit and crochet--mostly knit. I learned the basics of both as a kid but didn't really pick it up again until about 8-9 years ago. I make mostly small items--hats, socks, mittens, fingerless mitts, cowls. I have never knit a sweater. I am currently in the middle of knitting a shawl, a monster, a hat and a bathmat (this from recycled tshirts--just because). Oh, and a dishcloth. I usually have several projects going on at once. I would like to try weaving someday. I have no inclination to spin at this time. But I do enjoy dyeing wool with koolaid and food dye.

I can sew simple things but find that sewing garments stresses me out. I thought I'd be interested in quilting, but it never grabbed me.

My first foray into needle crafting was with cross-stitch and it was good for a bit but I put it down for a time and just couldn't figure out where I was when I tried to pick it back up and lost interest after that.

I did rubber stamping for awhile, but that gets expensive quickly.

I'm lousy at jewelry making. I can't "see" how things go together.

Give yourself time to try a couple new things. You might discover a new love. Or you might discover that these things are not for you. A friend recently discovered she loves horseback riding. She took it up on a whim, as something to do with her dd. Turns out she loves it. Good luck finding your hobby!

I spin and knit. I took up spinning as a way to use the bags and bags of combings I get from my shelties. And I love it. Something about spinning is just so soothing, especially when you're working with a super-soft fiber like alpaca. 99% of the time, I use my wheel, but I'm working on my drop-spindling, and would like to learn to spin lace-weight silk that way.

I'm sure your aunt would be happy to teach you to spin. Spinners are always happy to get someone else addicted....er, that is, share their craft!:D

What do I do with all the yarn? Christmas gifts and donations, mostly. And I keep my fashionista daughter supplied with the accessories she finds on Ravelry!

That said, I can't decide if I want to try socks on DPNs, two circs or magic loop! TOO MANY CHOICES!

You will have to try them all, of course! And then there's toe-up or cuff-down. And heel flap or short rows. One-at-a-time or two-at-a-time. :tongue_smilie:

After much trial I've discovered that I prefer dpn's, cuff-down and heel flap and one-at-a-time. I hope you get a chance to figure out all those options!

I used this book as my first crochet project. I learned enough stitches that I am able to follow most patterns. Still have trouble with thread crochet.

I've made a number of afghans and baby blankets.

I've also started dishcloths. They work really well, but I did have to do enough larger projects that I was willing to have a project get used up.

I've also done a stuffed tiger for my son. Adapted an amigurumi pattern.

I did cross stitch for a number of years but just kept ending up with wall hangings. Crochet gives me things that are more useful.

I sew lots of things. I actually have an Etsy store in the works that I hope to have up this summer. I make a lot of sock monkeys. I was doing it for a Craft Hope project and spent a lot of time making them at dance while I was waiting for DD. People kept buying them from me. I sold about 10 of them and sent 10 or 12 to Craft Hope. They're fun to make!

I've made pjs for my kids, Halloween costumes, doll clothes, baby blankets, and a gorgeous fleece jacket & hat for DD. Right now I'm working on making them quilted, animal-shaped throws for Christmas. I'm making this fish for DS in blue, yellow and black http://www.simplicity.com/p-2068-crafts.aspx and the butterfly (but in different colors -- lots of pinks and she wanted it to have a green body) for DD http://www.simplicity.com/p-1841-crafts.aspx

It's easier to make things for DD than it is for DS. What really makes me happy is when I make them something as a gift and it ends up being one of their favorite things -- much more than the store-bought items. Some of the doll clothes I've made DD are on her dolls a lot more than the expensive American Girl clothes I've bought for her.

I was taught tatting while on bedrest with my first pregnancy. I love it because it's fairly mindless. You learn a couple of knots and you're off! Also string and shuttles are relatively cheap. You don't end up with terribly practical items though:tongue_smilie:

Crochet/Knitting would give a higher yield of useful items!

You will have to try them all, of course! And then there's toe-up or cuff-down. And heel flap or short rows. One-at-a-time or two-at-a-time. :tongue_smilie:

After much trial I've discovered that I prefer dpn's, cuff-down and heel flap and one-at-a-time. I hope you get a chance to figure out all those options!

:willy_nilly: Do you smell smoke? I think that just overloaded my brain! I don't even know where to start!

Someone told me to try the Thuja from Ravelry. What do you think about that?

Another knitter here. I love that I can take it with me and there can also be a meditative effect to knitting because of the repetitive movement with your hands. Knitting is my stress buster! :001_smile:

If you want to see the different types of things that can be made either knitting or crocheting and find a TON of free patterns, check out Ravelry.

Brenda

signed,

Fiber Arts! :)

I learned to sew as an adult. And knit. And, well, everything else because I was an un-enthusiastic kid. :P

I sew clothing, dolls, baby carriers, bags, and anything else that I want done custom but is out of my price range, lol.

Oldest DD can sew (some), knit fairly well (but doesn't enjoy it) but what she truly enjoys is embroidery. Peek at this:

Doodle Stitching

Second DD loves all things YARN and she is learning to spin on a drop spindle. Eventually I see us spinning because yarn is my thing too.

Third DD loves yarn and drawing. I think her "thing" will be sewing as I can see her doing a lot of applique and fabric artwork.

Do something that inspires you. If that's quilting, do that. If you put all the effort into something, learning it, mastering it, time, money, energy... You should LOVE the finished project.

Mastering soapmaking and herbalism took about six years, lol. Soapmaking is therapeutic for me.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/10796557

Edited by BlsdMama

I knit, crochet, and sew. My sewing is usually in the form of a skirt or dress for my daughter (which she wears once and then decides she doesn't like :glare:) or a Halloween costume. I have done some theater related sewing in the past year for a show my son was in and that was fun. I could definitely see myself doing that more in the future. Theater costume sewing tends to be quick and dirty and doesn't need to be finished super nice, so I like that.

I knit and crochet gift things oftens, and I prefer to do smaller items that can be finished in a reasonable amount of time like socks, mittens, hats, scarves, bags. I'm not a huge fan of making big blankets, adult sweaters, etc just because it takes me forever to finish them and I have a short attention span. :D

(ETA - I prefer top down, 1 at a time, dpn socks for the record!)

:willy_nilly: Do you smell smoke? I think that just overloaded my brain! I don't even know where to start!

Someone told me to try the Thuja from Ravelry. What do you think about that?

Thuja is a good basic pattern and very much like the patterns in Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks. (I love this book, btw.) It's done with worsted weight so it's fewer stitches and generally goes faster. It's cuff-down with a heel flap. All my favorites. :D

I've also heard Silver's Sock Class is supposed to be good. Can't remember if that's cuff-down or toe-up. It's not one I've done.

My passion is quilting. Love, love, love it. Since starting to homeschool, though, it has really fallen by the wayside, just because it is such an ordeal to get everything out and put away. After reading this thread, I am inspired to maybe pull it all out when my kids go to VBS...hmmm....

Started knitting last year, and I love making socks. Since I don't wear them in the summer, I haven't been real excited to make any lately.

My crafting days started with cross-stitching, but it is so "out", I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. I made an adorable teacup wall-hanging a few years ago, but it just was too outdated to hang up and I ended up giving it to Goodwill.

I am not a fan of scrapbooking. :tongue_smilie:

I sew and crochet, and used to do cross stitch (I got carpal tunnel when I was pregnant and can't do the fine handwork anymore). I sew clothes and do quilting, and crochet sweaters mainly. I've tried knitting, but just couldn't get the hang of it.

Thuja is a good basic pattern and very much like the patterns in Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks. (I love this book, btw.) It's done with worsted weight so it's fewer stitches and generally goes faster. It's cuff-down with a heel flap. All my favorites. :D

Great book, that is where I got started!

I sew, knit, and crochet. I've also done quilting, smocking and cross-stitch. My favorite is crochet and knitting. I do not like large projects. I enjoy small projects that have a lot of shaping so that I do not get bored. :)

My favorite thing to crochet is play food for my girls. Sadly they are just about too old for it now. Here are some pics:

4118582508_a67d04014c.jpg

3960708838_31a2d7b260.jpg

3776040114_27e05ea56f.jpg

I like to do thread crochet too and make doilies and such. With knitting I usually make scarves and fingerless mittens, baby things like socks and soakers, and toys.

Once you learn a few stitches you can pretty much make anything! :)

krazzy - those are awesome!! I"ve sewn such things, and it's so sad that DD is almost over that stage! She wants to keep them forever and pass them down she says :D

I am an avid quilter. By that I mean I have a room floor to ceiling stuffed with fabric and bin after bin of scraps. I absolutely love it and everyone loves that they always get a quilted/sewn item for holidays/birthdays etc. My husband bought me a DREAM sewing machine this past January and I love it so much.

Quilting is nice because it is very functional. I don't care for cuddling up with a yard craft, but cotton is very soft. I DO crochet, but just things like doilies for Christmastime or my granny square project. Basically just random granny squares that I will connect together after having enough.

I sew and knit, both for myself and for gifts. I mostly sew garments or household-y things (fabric baskets, baby burp cloths, etc.) Still trying to increase my knitting productivity; I complete a sock a month.

I'm still a pretty new knitter, but I have knit scarves, hats and a couple of shawls. I LOVE my shawl for the porch...much nicer than a jacket.

I am DETERMINED to teach myself socks. Not sure where to start right now. I'm finishing two scarves and a shawl and then I'm going to tackle them.

Learning to make socks was my New Year's resolution for 2011. I decided to take a class at the local yarn store. Great camaraderie and support.

Seconding Ann Budd's book. Great reference!

:iagree:

I crochet and knit, which are portable, so I can drag them along to various places where I'm waiting for kids. It's a great way to fill time productively. I make functional stuff like sweaters, hats, socks, mittens. I make silly stuff like amigurumi toys. I've had people pay me to make them stuff, like making all the lace collars for dds' Irish Dance school. I also do some needle felting, and am generally willing to try pretty much any fiber art. I stink at wet felting. I'd love to take up weaving.

Sewing is fun because it's faster. I mostly make clothing, plus things like seasonal pillowcases for the kids bed, and curtains. I'm just finishing up helping make costumes for a Shakespeare play that my kids are in (Much Ado About Nothing -- I was in charge of 9.5 costumes out of 14, all done in about 2 weeks -- it took about 10 hours a day, and I'm sort of sick of sewing at the moment).

Next up I'll be trying my hand at making swimsuits. Younger dd is pretty much impossible to buy off-the-rack swimsuits and pants for -- tall and skinny. I can't imagine what people do when they can't sew and are forced to make do with whatever the stores have.

Re-fashioning is a fun spinoff of sewing -- taking stuff you find at Goodwill or yard sales, and making it into something more usable.

I want to be GailV's neighbor. :D

Ha ha, wish I could take credit, I think you were referring to Rene's pics, tho.

Those are so neat!

Doh!

After I finish my dad's b-day quilt I am starting my Christmas quilt and quilted tree skirt! I meant to make this tree skirt last year but never got around to it in time

I grew up learning how to sew as my Mother made a lot of our clothes. She is a beautiful porcelain artist and while I never will achieve that or have a desire to paint, she did give all of us a love of color and trying something new.

She learned to sew lingerie when it was a new art. I have a passion for sewing. I don't do difficult things anymore, but as a Grandma I love sewing for those babies.

Swim suits, PJ's, curtains, pillows are my mainstay, but I can and have sewn for entire wedding parties dresses.

I use to do lots of embroidery, but find it too difficult to see with bi-focals :glare:so I switched to knit and crochet. I find crochet a tad easier if you make mistakes. You can just rip it out quickly and keep on going.

I make mostly afghans and hats. I always have a full size afghan going in a neutral color and I give them for wedding gifts. (I have a large family that I don't live near anymore and I like to give them something that really lets them know I love them.)

I would suggest crochet or knitting some small projects. Investment is minimal as compared to sewing where you would need more tools and more space to set it up.

I do a variety of fiber work for my mom's gallery here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.108846362504552.13618.108843012504887&type=3

The photos do not really show the fiber work though. :tongue_smilie:

I crochet just about everything! From Arabian horse halters, jewelry, curtains, and practical stuff for the home.

I like to sew, but am not as proficient as I would like.

Knitting....my nemesis :tongue_smilie:. I have tried so many times. I can knit a simple scarf, but after constantly dropping stitches last time I tried, I have refused to pick up needles again!

I do some spinning and will most likely do more when my mothers Alpacas are shorn. I really wish I could find a fiber animal that would do well in the Houston area. :glare:

post-50054-13535086944654_thumb.jpg

post-50054-13535086944888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Juniper

I sew' date=' knit, and crochet. I've also done quilting, smocking and cross-stitch. My favorite is crochet and knitting. I do not like large projects. I enjoy small projects that have a lot of shaping so that I do not get bored. :)

My favorite thing to crochet is play food for my girls. Sadly they are just about too old for it now. Here are some pics:

[img']http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2735/4118582508_a67d04014c.jpg[/img]

3960708838_31a2d7b260.jpg

3776040114_27e05ea56f.jpg

I like to do thread crochet too and make doilies and such. With knitting I usually make scarves and fingerless mittens, baby things like socks and soakers, and toys.

Once you learn a few stitches you can pretty much make anything! :)

Those are adorable! Is that amigarumi? That's one type of crochet I really like, but have never tried.

I sew quite a bit. I tend to stick to skirts and dresses as they're easier than pants. I also cross stitch, and am working on a few of those right now as well. I knit a bit as well, right now I'm working on a scarf. I don't get as much cross stitching or knitting done in the summer because of how hot it is.