Menu

How much would you give?

I'm with my mom visiting relatives and was surprised by the answers given to the following question. My twenty-five-year-old cousin and his friend, both in grad school on tight budgets, are going to a wedding reception (not invited to the actual wedding ceremony of close family only) of a college roomate today. It's a 400-mile, seven-hour drive each way and the reception is at 5pm, making an overnight hotel stay in a large city necessary. Apparently, the couple will be moving long distance soon and so didn't want to register for a lot of "stuff," and said that all they want is to celebrate with their friends. They feel like they should give something and asked what an appropriate amount was. I was shocked by the range of opinions of those of us in the room. So, given the information outlined, what would you say is an appropriate amount?

Edited by kebg11
Clarification of relationship

$25

ETA: is this your cousin, not the cousin of the bride or groom? (a college roommate, no relation to bride & groom, right?)

Yes, my cousin. He and his friend were roomates of the groom in college. And, yes, they are both now working their way through grad programs (both living in large, expensive Northeast cities).

When I got married we were moving across country within two weeks of the wedding. We didn't register for anything. I would have been very happy with just receiving a card (no thank you to write!). Cash or gift certificates were also very nice. I considered a gift of $100 to be an extravagant gift. This was 18 years ago... but situations sound similar. I think the travel itself to celebrate can be viewed as the gift (and it's how I'd have viewed it as the bride).

If I were in their shoes, and could afford $20 or $25, then that's what I'd give. If I couldn't, then I would give them a nice card congratulating them and not worry about it. Most students barely have enough money to live on , so I wouldn't expect them to give anything necessarily.

If I were in their shoes, and could afford $20 or $25, then that's what I'd give. If I couldn't, then I would give them a nice card congratulating them and not worry about it. Most students barely have enough money to live on , so I wouldn't expect them to give anything necessarily.

Exactly. The trip alone is expensive.

I agree.

:iagree: But really, it comes down to what they can give. I've had times in my life when I could be more generous and times (even recently) when I couldn't. It wasn't a measure of my inner generosity or kindness.

Exactly.

The number that came to my mind, given the situation, was $20 or $25 and a thoughtful card/note.

Thanks everyone. I, five years out of grad school, suggested $25 if they felt they had to give something. I was surprised that the generation older than me suggested $50 and even $100 and wondered if that might have to do with how far removed they were from those days.

I'm with my mom visiting relatives and was surprised by the answers given to the following question. My twenty-five-year-old cousin and his friend, both in grad school on tight budgets, are going to a wedding reception (not invited to the actual wedding ceremony of close family only) of a college roomate today. It's a 400-mile, seven-hour drive each way and the reception is at 5pm, making an overnight hotel stay in a large city necessary. Apparently, the couple will be moving long distance soon and so didn't want to register for a lot of "stuff," and said that all they want is to celebrate with their friends. They feel like they should give something and asked what an appropriate amount was. I was shocked by the range of opinions of those of us in the room. So, given the information outlined, what would you say is an appropriate amount?

Personally I would not drive 800 miles round trip and incur lodging cost to attend a reception. On a grad school budget, a card or better yet a personal note and $25 should suffice.

:iagree: But really, it comes down to what they can give. I've had times in my life when I could be more generous and times (even recently) when I couldn't. It wasn't a measure of my inner generosity or kindness.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: the point is - this is a GIFT. it's what they feel they can comfortably afford for this couple. if the couple receiving it has a problem with the amount because they see it as "too small" - there is a problem with the friendship.

I think the typical wedding gift is about $100, but I'd say that is for the well established giver. Not a student. Many younger guests at our wedding (9 years ago) never gave us a gift and I didn't bat an eyelash at it. I was just glad they came. If they want to give a gift, then any amount they can afford is appropriate. If they can't afford a gift, I think that is fine too :)

:iagree:

$0 to $50 for tight budget grad students. When I was working FT and invited to weddings or baby showers and did not give a material gift, I would give anywhere from $35-300+ depending on my connection to the couple. Now, while not on a grad school budget, we are on a budget with me working from home only PT. I would give between $25-100.

:iagree:

whatever their budget allows-whether it be large or small.....