Menu

Do I want a Kindle or a Nook?

I noticed a lot of people here have Kindle. Haven't noticed any mentions of Nook. I was wondering if there *are* any Nook owners here, or if those who decided on Kindle looked at each and what made them go with Kindle.

I *only* want something to read on, nothing else needed. This would be a birthday present for myself.

~coffee~

I have a Nook, and my ds has a Kindle.

I much prefer the Nook. It is much more user friendly and the interface is much nicer.

The only reason we got him a Kindle is because it has the text to speech option.....which he never uses. :tongue_smilie:

I like that Nook is pdf format although I think you can convert files so that Kindle can read it too.

I will say that loaning books from the library is easier with a Kindle. It straightforward as it's mostly done for you by Amazon, and you just click "download"

The Nook you do have to download Adobe Reader to your computer, and get the library book from there. It's not hard but it's more steps and not as simple as the Kindle. That's the *only* thing I like about the Kindle better than Nook.

It's not enough for me to rather have a Kindle over my Nook though. The Nook itself is easier to navigate, and do things on such as bookmark etc. Plus, it displays your books by pretty covers on shelves. :)

I have a Kindle, my sister had the Nook (now she has the Nook tablet). I did compare them both. I went to Best Buy to look at them side by side, and I read a few chapters of a book on hers. I like how the Kindle looked better. The e-ink seemed easier to my eyes. I couldn't say why. I just liked it better. My Kindle is lighter than her Nook and seems easier to manage.

both devices are nice, I just prefered the Kindle over the Nook. If you can get to Best Buy, or somewhere that has both, it would be good to look for yourself.

I looked at both for a long time but went with the Kindle.

I liked that the Nook could be in color. But then I got to thinking about what I read isn't color so I wouldn't need color.

The biggest seller to me for the Kindle was the "no glare" and it looked like a regular book. I read outside alot and didn't want to deal with glare. Dh bought me one of the lighted covers so if I am in a low light/dark place I can still read.

I love my Kindle.

Plus, it displays your books by pretty covers on shelves. :)

Yes, that is one thing I really liked on the Nook. I had got used to my sister's Nook and I didn't realize the Kindle didn't display that way. I only looked at the print. Still, I'm happy with my Kindle. And I still think both are nice. :001_smile:

I looked at both for a long time but went with the Kindle.

I liked that the Nook could be in color. But then I got to thinking about what I read isn't color so I wouldn't need color.

The biggest seller to me for the Kindle was the "no glare" and it looked like a regular book. I read outside alot and didn't want to deal with glare. Dh bought me one of the lighted covers so if I am in a low light/dark place I can still read.

I love my Kindle.

You're comparing the Kindle Touch with the Nook Color. The Nook Color is not e-ink. The Nook Simple Touch is e-ink, and it doesn't have glare and you can read it outside.

The NOOK Color would have to be compared to the Kindle Fire.

Does Kindle still offer that wonderful Audible.com deal? I chose a Kindle because (a) I ❤ Amazon and (b) when I registered for the Audible.com deal I received $100 off the Kindle.

(Nothing is free, of course. It was $14.95 per month for Audible. You get a free book, your choice, every month and the $100 off. I have really enjoyed the subscription.)

Yes, that is one thing I really liked on the Nook. I had got used to my sister's Nook and I didn't realize the Kindle didn't display that way.

I also don't like that the library books you're done with don't disappear from the book list on the Kindle.

On my Nook the book is no longer displayed once the loan is over. It goes away on its own; I don't have to do it.

I cannot figure out how to do this on my ds's Kindle. He reads a lot of library ebooks and his book list on his Kindle is getting cluttered with books he can't actually access anymore.

I've even gone into the Kindle account on Amazon and manually deleted the books, and it says they have been deleted. Yet, the book titles are still displayed on his Kindle as "Expired loan" and I can't delete them. :glare: Is it possible to do?

Again, my Nook updates and cleans up my little book shelves of expired ebooks on its own.

Does Kindle still offer that wonderful Audible.com deal? I chose a Kindle because (a) I ❤ Amazon and (b) when I registered for the Audible.com deal I received $100 off the Kindle.

(Nothing is free, of course. It was $14.95 per month for Audible. You get a free book, your choice, every month and the $100 off. I have really enjoyed the subscription.)

I'll be thrilled if/when Amazon allows Kindle owners to listen to audio books from the library for free. Once upon a time Kindle didn't allow ebook loans from libraries until Barnes and Noble released the Nook that did have that feature.

I figure it's only a matter of time before Nook takes the step and then Amazon will follow.

We listen to audio books from the library on MP3. Until my debt is paid off ala Ramsey style....no subscriptions to Audible for me.

My MIL has one of each, the nook is harder on the eyes for me, both B&W and color, but I read about 250-300 pages a day on my Keyboard Kindle so YMMV. My MIL bought each of my older DC the Kindle Touch for Christmas, they love them. MIL likes the Nook Color for magazines and games but buys most of her books on her Keyboard Kindle because she finds them to be slightly less expensive overall and easier to read.

I had the original 3G Nook and a Kindle 3 with keyboard.

I adored my Nook until I got the Kindle. Gave my Nook to a friend.

It feels better to me, I thought I would hate the keyboard but I love it.

I use Calibre to manage all my books and devices and put things onto and remove them so I have never had any problems with library books there that aren't supposed to be there.

For the record, I've used all kinds of ereaders, those two, my dd's Astek EZ Reader, my android phone with Kindle, Nook and Aldiko apps and my Vizio Android tablet with the same apps.

I wouldn't part with my Kindle for anything.

That having been said, I don't want a touch version for my ereaders so I can't speak to the newer versions.

I adore my Nook Tablet, but only because I modified it so that it's not like a Nook. If I had it to do over I'd *probably* get the Kindle Fire, but at this point wouldn't trade out. Once BN decided to do upgrades that would keep their customers from sideloading free apps, I was livid enough to learn how to root. But I wouldn't want to go through that hassle again.

I like the Kindle because I have Amazon Prime and can read a free book every month. (ok, well, I can't right now because I don't have a Kindle yet, but this is the one I would choose.)

I also like Amazon's site better than B&N.

I also don't like that the library books you're done with don't disappear from the book list on the Kindle.

On my Nook the book is no longer displayed once the loan is over. It goes away on its own; I don't have to do it.

I cannot figure out how to do this on my ds's Kindle. He reads a lot of library ebooks and his book list on his Kindle is getting cluttered with books he can't actually access anymore.

I've even gone into the Kindle account on Amazon and manually deleted the books, and it says they have been deleted. Yet, the book titles are still displayed on his Kindle as "Expired loan" and I can't delete them. :glare: Is it possible to do?

Again, my Nook updates and cleans up my little book shelves of expired ebooks on its own.

Is the wireless turned off? It sounds like it simply needs to be synced, but if wireless is off, it won't sync. You should also be able to delete directly from the Kindle by hitting the right arrow (like when you sort into collections).

With that said, I chose Kindle simply because I much prefer amazon's interface for shopping over B&N. Amazon has free books easy to find - for the same titles, B&N makes them very hard to find and the formatting is terrible. I also like amazon's suggestions for other titles. I buy almost all of my books from my computer, not my Kindle.

I have a rooted Nook Color that I love because I can use the Kindle, Kobo, B&N, and Google Books apps to read. I'm not restricted by one source.

I also have a Kindle (not Fire) that I like for the e-ink, but I've really gotten used to the Nook Color, now that I learned how to dim the back light, so it's not as big of a deal.

I got a Kindle without even looking at a Nook because I like Amazon and think Kindle will be around for the long haul. We do not have Barnes and Noble around here, and after Borders went belly up I'm not as confident they'll escape that fate.

I noticed a lot of people here have Kindle. Haven't noticed any mentions of Nook. I was wondering if there *are* any Nook owners here, or if those who decided on Kindle looked at each and what made them go with Kindle.

I *only* want something to read on, nothing else needed. This would be a birthday present for myself.

~coffee~

Get the cheap $79 Kindle -- it's great! (You don't even notice the ads -- they're not popping up as you read, or anything like that.)

It's tiny, lightweight, and I know one of the stores (Best Buy or Target, maybe?) has it on special this week, where you pay $79 for it, but get a $20 gift card for free. I know I saw it in one of the online "weekly flyers" but I can't remember which one it way. I know it was an in-store special, though.

If you only want to use it for reading, it's a perfect option. (I used to use my iPad for reading, but the little Kindle is so much better -- and my new Kindle Fire is cool, but the screen is glossy, which isn't as nice as the matte screen for reading.)

I started out with the first generation Nook (black and white) and upgraded to the Nook Simple Touch (after playing extensively with a friend's Kindle). Now both kids and my husband have the Nook Simple Touch and we absolutely love them.

My DH is a U. Professor, and their bookstore with all of their textbooks is a B&N, and many of their courses are going to ebooks available on the Nook.

I find the Simple Touch smaller and nice to handle than the Kindle, and the interface is fantastic. Unlike someone else's review on here, yes, the Nook is no-glare (I think they must have seen a color??).

I think both products are good-- you end up liking whichever one you end up buying ;).

I love my kindle touch. Very easy to use. One big plus for me every hour amazon updates their top 100 free books. I can't tell you how many books I have downloaded for free. I recently purchased my first book, only because I was impatient waiting on a library book. I highly recommend the kindle.

We have both in our house and I much prefer the Kindle, if nothing else for the customer service.

Barnes and Noble constantly mischarges me, and then makes me go through my bank to correct THEIR errors. Amazon lets you download free books with no hassle. If you have a gift card, they automatically go to the gift card first and then your credit card on file. Barnes and Noble ALWAYS charges at least a penny to my credit card BEFORE charging my gift cards. The same for free books. The charge can be anywhere from 1-5 cents. When I called customer service, they say this is allowed because there aren't REALLY free books in the world. They claim they still have to pay copyright fees to carry the free books, and that's why I see a 1cent HOLD on my card. They claim the charge should drop off because they are a great company and absorb the cost and never actually make the charge, however, my bank shows that they charge it, immediately, period. Twice I've had to file a dispute through my bank and both times Barnes and Noble had to refund me the money. Pain. in. my. patootie!

Now, if I give them and actual credit card instead of my debit card, B&N has assured me this problem will go away, but I don't want to give them my credit card. I don't want to use my credit card for frivolous book purchases! ANNOYING!!!!

As for everything else. I really like both my original Kindle reader and my Fire. The fire actually makes it easier to read cookbooks and informational books that have graphs and data etc. It also helps that I can clearly see the book covers instead of just the names on the Fire. I am turning out to be a very visual person when it comes to books :) I also like that you can change the background to sepia so it's not so backlit. I also like games and other apps, but that's just me. I use my original Kindle less and less.

HTH!

Thanks for letting me vent about B&N!:D

Dorinda

My Kindle is a 2nd Gen and I've had it almost 2 yrs. At the time I went for a Kindle because I liked the interface better and I much prefer Amazon over B&N. Plus Amazon had a much better selection and better prices. I'm a devoted Amazon groupie though, and if/when I replace my Kindle it will definitely be with another Kindle.

I've even gone into the Kindle account on Amazon and manually deleted the books, and it says they have been deleted. Yet, the book titles are still displayed on his Kindle as "Expired loan" and I can't delete them.

To delete anything off the Kindle click the right side of the 5-way controlled while that book is highlighted on the home page. Scroll down to "delete this book," click it, and you're done. I like to keep my Kindle "light" (and don't like collections) so I only leave books to be read (granted, that's 17 pages right now thanks to all the free books I've gotten) on the home page. As soon as I finish a book I delete it off my Kindle. Works the same for books that stay on my archive and books that don't.

When I decided to get an ereader, I did *not* want a Kindle (no library books back then). I wanted a Nook. I mean REALLY wanted a Nook. I went to Best Buy and Border's and played with several options. The one I liked the least? The Nook. I was so incredibly sad. It was just heavy and uncomfortable in my hands. The one I liked the most? The Kindle. I was even more sad at that. I refused to get it, though. I got a Sony eReader, which was my second choice. I still use it a little bit. A few months later Amazon announced they were adding the library book option. A few months after that I got my Kindle (Keyboard). My mom got one a couple months later. My oldest two saved up and got basic Kindles a couple weeks ago. My dad, daughter, and I also have Kindle Fires (on which I have the Nook app so I could get books from there if I felt the need... and I have gotten *one* freebie from them so far... and in the same amount of time I've gotten a couple dozen freebies from Amazon - often freebies I want are only on Amazon or are on both so I get it on my Kindle since it's more comfortable to read on than the Fire).

We have the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire. I prefer the functionality of the Nook Tablet, but there are soooo many more free books and apps for the Fire. I know apps won't do anything for you since you just want a reader, but if you want a huge free library, then go with the Kindle.

We have the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire. I prefer the functionality of the Nook Tablet, but there are soooo many more free books and apps for the Fire. I know apps won't do anything for you since you just want a reader, but if you want a huge free library, then go with the Kindle.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but what would make the Nook Tablet a better choice than the Kindle Fire, assuming it wasn't going to be used as an e-reader? I have been wondering about this for a while.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Can I sneak in to ask a question?

I really want a Kindle Fire, but I like the e-ink of the Kindle Touch. Does the Sepia option on the Fire make it ENOUGH like e-ink that it doesn't bother your eyes??

I'm considering a last minute Mother's Day gift to myself, LOL... :D

I really want a Kindle Fire, but I like the e-ink of the Kindle Touch. Does the Sepia option on the Fire make it ENOUGH like e-ink that it doesn't bother your eyes??

Not for me, no. The backlight just bothers me (and the Fire is pretty heavy). I actually don't use my Fire all that much (mostly use it for my scriptures). It's really a toy for me.

I love my Nook. One of the big reasons I originally went with the Nook is to support Barnes and Noble. We have one near our house and I'm really afraid of what Amazon is doing to local bookstores. They sell their books as a loss leader. Brick and mortar stores just cannot compete with that. I can't imagine a world without a bookstore around the corner.

Thank you all so very very much. You have helped me make a decision. Because of these two things: Kindle being lighter and having more free books, I've decided to go for the Kindle.

I truly really only want it for reading; I miss reading but holding books hurts my hands (I have rheumatoid arthritis).

So thank you all so much! My birthday is next week, so it won't be long.

~coffee~

Im glad you decided on the Kindle.

For me, I went to Best Buy with DH and I looked at all of them (except Kindle Fire because it wasnt out yet). I did not like Sony so that left the Nook and Kindle. I didnt care for the way the Nooks were set up and everything, so that then left the Kindles. Kindle Keyboard, touch and 5 way (i forget what its called, but its not touch or keyboard)... I picked the Keyboard because I could easily get around to the dictionary, highlight, bookmark, etc.

:)

Can I sneak in to ask a question?

I'm considering a last minute Mother's Day gift to myself, LOL... :D

For me YES!

Not for me, no. The backlight just bothers me (and the Fire is pretty heavy). I actually don't use my Fire all that much (mostly use it for my scriptures). It's really a toy for me.

You can turn the brightness of the backlighting down. My DH sets his way up, but mine is turned down.

HTH!

Dorinda

You can turn the brightness of the backlighting down. My DH sets his way up, but mine is turned down.

Yes, I know. I keep the backlight all the way down all the time. It saves battery. It still doesn't help eyestrain for me. I'm just one of those people who can't read for very long comfortably on anything backlit.

I love my Kindles but I was drooling over the Nook with the Glow Light. That light is the coolest idea! It also feels great in my hand.

Ds has a Kindle 3, I just got a Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight and love it!

I can read with one hand, it's easy on my eyes, and the glow feature is awesome.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but what would make the Nook Tablet a better choice than the Kindle Fire, assuming it wasn't going to be used as an e-reader? I have been wondering about this for a while.

Thanks! :001_smile:

I think this will vary per person, but for me, the Nook is more intuitive. Operating it feels as natural as using my iphone. The Fire's navigation system doesn't feel as natural for me to use, and that blasted power button on the bottom of the device is a pain in the rear! : ) Plus, when browsing, the Nook's screen feels very streamlined and uncluttered, but I consider the Fire's browsing mode to be somewhat busy.

I also love the parental controls available on the Nook and the password protected purchasing ability. The kids' book function (read to me/play for me) was appealing, as well, since my dd is still on the younger side.

But, as I suggested earlier, the Fire has a lot more app and book options - particularly free options. And, if you're a member of Prime, you can also partake in the free lending library which includes current popular books.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Edited by kimmie38017

Thanks, Kimmie!

I think I'll take a closer look at the Nook, since I'm still well within the 30 day return period for my Kindle Fire, to see if it might be a better choice for me (or if I should just stick with my tried-and-true iPad and little cheapie Kindle.)

I'm really not feeling the love for the browser on the Fire -- and even shopping on Amazon is a nuisance compared with using my iPad, so I'm wondering if I made a poor choice is buying the Fire. (I thought it would be more compact and easier to lug around than my iPad, but if it's more of a pain to use, I can live without the smaller size.)

Thanks again! :001_smile:

so I picked up the $79 Kindle for taking to the beach, and reading in the tub (I LOVE to read in the tub). What I love is that since you click to turn pages vs touching, I can just drop my Kindle into a Ziplock bag, seal it, and I don't have to worry about my Kindle getting wet.

We are headed to the beach Sunday, and I am planning to do the same thing there. It was well worth $80.

so I picked up the $79 Kindle for taking to the beach, and reading in the tub (I LOVE to read in the tub). What I love is that since you click to turn pages vs touching, I can just drop my Kindle into a Ziplock bag, seal it, and I don't have to worry about my Kindle getting wet.

We are headed to the beach Sunday, and I am planning to do the same thing there. It was well worth $80.

The Nook Simple Touch also has click buttons on the side, so although I cannot recommend taking any electronic device not the tub, I have to point out that the Nook works just as well as Kindle here.

Kindle actually has a Water Resistant cover!

http://www.amazon.com/KlearKase-Kindle-Keyboard-Transparent-Protective/dp/B005DO4374/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1336970678&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/OCTOVO-Splashproof-Outdoor-Kindle-Keyboard/dp/B004FUU54C/ref=sr_1_23?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1336970635&sr=1-23

** I have this one and I like how my Kindle fits all the way in it and I can open a cookbook on it and I dont have to worry about spilling flour, water, etc on my kindle!

We have both in our house and I much prefer the Kindle, if nothing else for the customer service.

Barnes and Noble constantly mischarges me, and then makes me go through my bank to correct THEIR errors. Amazon lets you download free books with no hassle. If you have a gift card, they automatically go to the gift card first and then your credit card on file. Barnes and Noble ALWAYS charges at least a penny to my credit card BEFORE charging my gift cards. The same for free books. The charge can be anywhere from 1-5 cents. When I called customer service, they say this is allowed because there aren't REALLY free books in the world. They claim they still have to pay copyright fees to carry the free books, and that's why I see a 1cent HOLD on my card. They claim the charge should drop off because they are a great company and absorb the cost and never actually make the charge, however, my bank shows that they charge it, immediately, period. Twice I've had to file a dispute through my bank and both times Barnes and Noble had to refund me the money. Pain. in. my. patootie!

Now, if I give them and actual credit card instead of my debit card, B&N has assured me this problem will go away, but I don't want to give them my credit card. I don't want to use my credit card for frivolous book purchases! ANNOYING!!!!

As for everything else. I really like both my original Kindle reader and my Fire. The fire actually makes it easier to read cookbooks and informational books that have graphs and data etc. It also helps that I can clearly see the book covers instead of just the names on the Fire. I am turning out to be a very visual person when it comes to books :) I also like that you can change the background to sepia so it's not so backlit. I also like games and other apps, but that's just me. I use my original Kindle less and less.

HTH!

Thanks for letting me vent about B&N!:D

Dorinda

I have a Nook, and I monitor my credit card statements every few days. I have NEVER had this happen in the nearly 2 years I've owned my Nook. Never. They charge any gift cards first, then my credit card. I've never been charged even a penny for free books, and I've never been charged the wrong price. The customer service is excellent. They also offer free, in-store classes on a weekly basis to learn how to use the Nook. My mom and I both have e-readers (not the Simple Touch, but I do want to upgrade to the new Glowlight Nook) and my kids both have Nook Tablets.

• 2 months later...

I know this is older, but I just wanted to give a warning for those considering Nook colors. Three of my kids have one. They've had them since Christmas. All three have had the cords die already. The ac adapters buzz and make me scared of house fires.

Before you get one, I highly suggest you read the cord reviews:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/reviews/NOOK-Color-NOOK-Tablet-Charging-Cable-in-Asphalt/23055743?startat=41

They are expensive to replace, do not last long, and you can NOT use anything else to charge the nc. So buyer beware. If I would have known this, my kids would have gotten Fires.

Edited by mommymilkies
Autocorrect