Menu

What is your, "What's The Big Deal?" curriculum?

WIS0320

Well, I have typically used Sonlight, so I may have a different bent than you do, but can I ask what you use for vocabulary?

My kids need it. They don't care for WW, but they don't really care for much!

Dawn

I use our read alouds and anything else we read to teach vocabulary. It is the best way for my kids to retain the definitions and just makes so much sense for us. Before this year I used different vocabulary programs, but this year they learned twice as much simply by context. I ask them what a word means, reread the sentence in context and see if they can figure it out. Usually they can and if not I give them a working definition.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAS

Seriously, English is so full of exceptions - I'm not sure it is worth spending +$300 for a set of rules I can download from the internet, for free. I'm sure I can find a list of exceptions too.

It also does not take accents into account. To bad if you are not an American or Canadian English as first language speaker.

Maybe I'm just annoyed that I'm unable to find something which will work for ME, never mind my kiddos. Luckily for my son, he seems to be a natural speller, unlike his momma.

Spelling Power- 10 years ago this book was supposed to teach a child and bring about world peace whilst ending world hunger.

My oldest two made 100's on all the tests yet would consistently misspell spelling words in any papers they wrote.

MUS. Ugh. I hated how it taught multi-digit multiplication.

Powerglide. Rosseta Stone.

I am so happy that in over 20 pages of post, Teaching Textbooks is not once mentioned (other than a few pages back someone mentioning that it hasn't been mentioned):001_smile::001_smile: Now, the tide will probably turn:001_huh: Oh well.:lol:

There are a few mentioned that I can see where/why they work for other families, they are just not right for us. The ones that I just don't get are

HOD

MM

CC

I didn't get LOF or MCT until we borrowed them and used them. Now I get them, and they really work for us.

Nicole

Edited by Northwest_Mama
bad spelling

Spelling Workout-- pointless busy work

FLL- dull, dull, dull

WWE- I don't like the layout or the lessons. Sorry SWB. I'd rather do copywork/dictation/narration from lit and history.

R&S English- It's thorough, mind-numbingly thorough. So much so that DS could only retain it for the duration of that particular lesson and would forget it once we closed the book.

AAS

Seriously, English is so full of exceptions - I'm not sure it is worth spending +$300 for a set of rules I can download from the internet, for free. I'm sure I can find a list of exceptions too.

I thought that, too, until I read Uncovering the Logic of English last year and found out how many phonics rules I simply was never taught in elementary school that take care of many of the "exceptions." I have been using Reading Reflex, but I am thinking about switching to LOE next year (and, quite frankly, while I love RR concepts, their methodology is D-R-Y). AAS looks interesting, but it also looks like a lot of "stuff" and since we already use RS for math, there are only so many manipulatives I'm willing to try to keep up with!

I'm so happy I read through every page of this thread. I JUST got my Handbook of Nature Study in the mail the other day and felt completely disappointed. Now I feel confident in my choice to return the darn thing before it's too late! I also recently bought a bunch of field guides (used, on the cheap), and i think those will be perfectly sufficient for us.

My contributions have already been mentioned a few times:

FIAR--I was so excited about this because I think the concept is really interesting and I like the idea of learning multiple subjects all in one context. But ultimately I tend to think in a very organized, linear fashion, and all the jumping around just doesn't work for ME. It may have worked for dd, but we'll never know because I bought two volumes, looked through them, and realized it wasn't going to happen. (Incidentally, I have volumes 2 and 3 to sell if anyone is interested. ;))

ETC--I guess I don't find this completely useless. I actually think it's great, just way too much repetition. I feel like it really beats phonics to death. 100+ pages JUST for CVC words??? No, thanks. I find myself wanting to skip a lot, but that's always hard for me because 1) See my above comment about thoroughness--I just hate skipping, and 2) I paid for those blasted pages!

AAS/AAR--I must confess, I haven't used them, but I have looked at them and they just feel like overkill. I'm glad that they exist, in the event that I ever have a child who needs something so intense, but for me, if a regular phonics program gets my kid reading well, why spend the money, time, and energy on something like these programs?

I love threads like this, for the same reasons others have mentioned, but also because, as a newbie, it's comforting to know that maybe I'm not crazy after all if I find myself scratching my head a little bit. I guess I need the license to head scratch. :D

Sonlight- I have been given 3 different cores over the years. It seems like the guides are mostly comprehension questions, which my dd does not need or appreciate. I wanted to love it, but I passed all 3 cores along to other people. I was left wondering why I didn't "get it". :001_huh: I still think there must be more to it than that- but I couldn't find it. :tongue_smilie:

I also find it amusing in my still short homeschool journey how one thing that I completely don't get will be wonderful to me just months or years later... :lol:

:iagree:

My WtBD was Miquon. I liked the idea, I read the books, I bought the books, and I couldn't get kiddo to focus on it past 20 pages. I do accept the fact some children like math manipulates, but reading here I thought ALL children liked/benefited from math manipulatives. Not true; thus my common advice here -- don't fall in love with and purchase lots of lovely math manipulatives until you know your child has interest in them in general. :)

Totally.Underwhelmed. by Artistic Pursuits.

:iagree:I wasn't happy with the quality of the prints in the book. We needed magnifying glasses.

Love her pick of art supplies, however. As a non-artist, I had no idea what was out there or would appeal to a child. She does. Dick Blick has the kit list, so you can wander through it.

Spelling Power - I can't even fathom spending the amount of time to read through the TM in order to teach this.

? I have spent a little under an hour reading, outlined the steps in doing the daily thing (took 15 minutes), Xeroxed a copy of the "look at the word" questions (although I have memorized them through use in a couple of months) and just got going. It wasn't open and go, but in the end was considerably less time than the crying-for-an-editor SWR or cutting and organizing AAS.

If you know your spelling/phonics rules, all you really need is the daily steps and the list of questions you use (some of) to investigate the word you are studying.

Kumon workbooks. Boring with a capital B.

Tried to like the older ones. So much repetition. Once they can read the clock, you don't have to bludgeon them with pages of it.

However, the early ones with mazes and cutting out, those reluctant-to-sit and hold a pencil kiddo (age 3-5) really took to.

• 1 month later...
I knew C.C. would be mentioned here a few times. Haha! We do C.C. and I'm not even sure what all the fuss is about. I know I could do the same thing at home. And there's really not a whole lot to it. I actually wish it were a four year cycle so it could cover more material. But I'll tell you the main reason why we're doing it again is b/c it's nice to meet with our group once a week, and it's nice that DD is memorizing the same thing as everyone else in the group. I think it motivates DD and I both. And while C.C. doesn't look like much in the younger grades, the upper grades look totally awesome! But its also pricier too. :(

I think you hit the nail on the head! The group support and the motivation to get it done are biggies for lots of people. For me, the two years I was in a CC community helped me get a handle on what "classical" even meant and how to implement it in our home. We do CC at home now, as there is no community where we currently live. We are moving again this summer, and there WILL be a community, but we are not joining. As you stated, the $$ is a bit too much for us, since we now have a handle on how to do this thing at home. HOWEVER, I have not ruled out putting my olders in Challenge down the road. IMPRESSIVE STUFF they are doing there!

FIAR -- Checked it out years ago from the library and was underwhelmed. Do I really need a curriculum in order to stretch out a picture book for a three year old? :confused:

BFSU -- I have tried and tried to implement this. I wonder, why did I pay for such poor editing and sloppy formatting?

MUS -- IMO, this is just bad math.

MCT -- I don't understand the fan base for this. Expensive. And the snotty attitude (translation: arrogance) of the author turns me off to his product.

IEW -- I've watched the DVDs (someone else's), but I'm not convinced this is the best way to teach a student to write. Andrew complicates it too much. I like what Susan does with WWE much, much better. If you want more creative assignments, just fold them in along with the meat & potatoes of copywork/dictation & narration.

Horizons Math -- Despise is too tame a word. :tongue_smilie:

CC -- Studied the website, studied the catalog, worked the calculator, :001_huh: went to an Open House.... Completely and irrevocably done with my curiosity over CC.

Sonlight -- I always think I'm missing something with SL. Isn't it a booklist? Why not just buy the books that you want to read, line them up on your shelves in a logical order, and read? [scratches head].

Edited by Sahamamama

This thread makes me laugh, and not just because I have seen the things I love on here as well as things that didn't work for us.

Ok, my extensive list

Things I bought twice & didn't like either time-

BFSU- bought first as Nebel

Miquon

IEW

Anything by Beautiful Feet

Other things I bought that didn't work for us-

AAS

MCT

Easy Grammar

Chalk Dust

MUS (yes for one and no for the other three)

LofFred

Anything by Dinah Zike

Writing Strands

HOD

TOG

Mystery of History

Streams of Civilization

Things that didn't work for my first set of homeschoolers but are getting a second chance with the next batch-

English From the Roots Up

HWOT

FLL

Amber in SJ

Sahamamama wrote:

MCT -- I don't understand the fan base for this. Expensive. And the snotty attitude (translation: arrogance) of the author turns me off to his product

This is a new criticism to me--what makes you say this? I am not trying to change your mind, just genuinely confused.:001_smile:

I bought into the Sonlight hype. Ordered Core D. Received it. Went through the materials and was disappointed to see that it would be taking a step back for us if we went with it. I sent it all back. We're doing BJU (still) and I'm going to teach it instead of doing the online videos.

This is a new criticism to me--what makes you say this? I am not trying to change your mind, just genuinely confused.:001_smile:

:bigear:

FIAR -- Checked it out years ago from the library and was underwhelmed. Do I really need a curriculum in order to stretch out a picture book for a three year old? :confused:

BFSU -- I have tried and tried to implement this. I wonder, why did I pay for such poor editing and sloppy formatting?

MUS -- IMO, this is just bad math.

MCT -- I don't understand the fan base for this. Expensive. And the snotty attitude (translation: arrogance) of the author turns me off to his product.

IEW -- I've watched the DVDs (someone else's), but I'm not convinced this is the best way to teach a student to write. Andrew complicates it too much. I like what Susan does with WWE much, much better. If you want more creative assignments, just fold them in along with the meat & potatoes of copywork/dictation & narration.

Horizons Math -- Despise is too tame a word. :tongue_smilie:

CC -- Studied the website, studied the catalog, worked the calculator, :001_huh: went to an Open House.... Completely and irrevocably done with my curiosity over CC.

Sonlight -- I always think I'm missing something with SL. Isn't it a booklist? Why not just buy the books that you want to read, line them up on your shelves in a logical order, and read? [scratches head].

Okay, you are the second person to mention MCT in an unfavorable light tonight. I was thinking of getting the poetry and vocabulary. Almost everything I'd read had been positive. The cost was an obvious drawback. I looked at a sample of the grammar book with R. She didn't like it. I'd heard such glowing reports about the poetry and vocabulary, though. Is there something in particular you dislike?

This thread is cracking me up, because my boys ADORE the MCT books. They love the meandering stories and they've become pros at the 4-level analysis. :D They also have worked through MUS Alpha, Beta & Gamma in 2 years, and they are big fans of Mr. Demme. I've been continually second guessing my math choice, but they seem to be thriving on it, so I'm sticking with Delta for next year.

My sister is all about CC and IEW. I personally don't get the appeal of all the out-of-context memorization, but her kids really like it and are able to make associations about something they've memorized and something they've learned or read about in another context.

My kids and I also adore SOTW. We've done books 1-3 so far and are looking forward to 4 next year.

The only thing I haven't been too excited about has been FLL.

This thread is cracking me up, because my boys ADORE the MCT books. They love the meandering stories and they've become pros at the 4-level analysis. :D They also have worked through MUS Alpha, Beta & Gamma in 2 years, and they are big fans of Mr. Demme. I've been continually second guessing my math choice, but they seem to be thriving on it, so I'm sticking with Delta for next year.

My sister is all about CC and IEW. I personally don't get the appeal of all the out-of-context memorization, but her kids really like it and are able to make associations about something they've memorized and something they've learned or read about in another context.

My kids and I also adore SOTW. We've done books 1-3 so far and are looking forward to 4 next year.

The only thing I haven't been too excited about has been FLL.

FLL is starting to become difficult for us to stay motivated about here too!

:lol:

This is my next step: admitting that I will never be CM. The first step is selling the Nature Handbook. At this time I can't even take the first step. I just KNOW that NEXT year will be the year for me! We are going to do the composer studies, and artist studies, and watercolor in our nature notebooks! And then, we will come inside and sit by the fire and do handiworks!

Now this conversation is just depressing. I'm waiting for "the change" to happen. I love AO and everything CM. I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet! I like the way my Handbook of Nature Study looks on my bookshelf. It is a reference that simply hasn't been referenced yet. :tongue_smilie:

Things bought 2nd hand that I have now given to a friend:

100 EZ lessons - Distar system does not work for my SPD child, O-G stuff works better

Miquon Math - Could not get my head around it. Kept the C-Rods.

FIAR - All three volumes and BFIAR. Hard to get the books here. I really do not like Unit Studies type of stuff that tries to integrate everything. Kept the cooking book.

** Reading Reflex - Still have it but am on the fence on that one.

Lots of things that have been thumped here seem to work for us.

Sonlight although I usually read across the page. I need the schedule not so sure about its use for other people. Probably to expensive for a schedule but seeing that I am a WAH mom need something to keep me on track. Also our libraries here are really bad so having the books on hand is priceless.

OPTRG is just right for my son. He needs somehing he can focus on reading with no distractions.

AAS we use it for rules, the multi sensory helps with his reading. He has several LDs and the OPTRG and AAS combo has been the best with him so far.

FLL 1/2 with DS, most oral work and the pure repetiton seems to work. It bores me to death but it works:001_huh:

FLL 3 with DD done with work book. For a child that refused to learn grammar it seems to work. But I need lots of coffee.:lol:

We did SOTW 3/4 with Audio books and Student Pages along with SL Core D&E and the kids love it. They can listen to it for hours. We took a road trip and drove 19 hr plus both ways and all they wanted to do was re-listen to SOTW. My DD would read along on the books and my son would colour. I had to beg them to listen to something else because I was going to fall asleep.

We are doing 1st part of SL Core W with SOTW 1/2 with AG this year.

Singapore, we have used the workbooks 1-4 and CWP only. We use Horizons for our main math program. My kids hate it at times and moan but it is the only way they seem to retain their math is through boring repetition. We supplement with Singapore. It has been a great combo.

I really dislike SL Bible, seems very disjointed and also their LA. On the LA I might use the copywork/dictation and some of the assignments that are linked to our history studies but none of they recommendations seem to work.

ETC it seems to have gotten a bashing here but it works for my DS. We have been known to use the 1/2 books as well. Again boring repetition until the stuff sticks...

Edited by sandst

BSFU

Mom has to study it, and maybe plan lessons on a spreadsheet. The only activity I can remember it including is talking to your child as they brush their teeth, or was it take a bath? I am waiting for this program to go away.

What? EVERY lesson has an experiment or demonstration, and none of them revolve around tooth brushing or taking a bath. The program isn't even designed specifically for home schoolers, and includes lots of classroom activities, which means that talking to kids while they bathe or brush teeth is definitely out. I can see why some people don't like BFSU, but this is a totally inaccurate description of it! Maybe you're thinking of something else?

The What in the World cds for history by Diana Waring. She may be a very nice lady with a rich knowledge of history, but I'll never know because her voice drives me crazy! Crazy to the point that I can't finish even the first volume of her cd set. After many attempts to endure it, I finally gave up-the fact is we both want to gouge out our eyeballs when we hear her voice-don't even get me started on her laugh. :ack2:

Plus, most of the little jokes she threw in, an adult might understand but my son was perplexed.

Again, I'm sure the information is very worthwhile, but she should have stuck to creating the material and then hired a pro to read it for the cd's, imho.

This thread is so funny it has had me laughing out loud several times. My kids keep looking over at me, wondering what is so funny.

In our short time of homeschooling, the ones I did not get:

ETC - I even bought it again to give it a second try and it was still a huge flop. My sons hated it.

FIAR - This would have made me crazy and my kids very unhappy.

RS & Singapore Math - I really did not enjoy teaching either of these, even though I tried very hard to like them both. We are using MM now and, so far, it really seems to easy for me to teach and also very easy for my sons to understand.

As another poster said, I'm having a good laugh over some of the replies! Seriously, though, I love hearing what others like/dislike about certain curriculum - learning so much!

I tried BFIAR when my kiddos were 3 or 4 - didn't work. The kids either loved the recommended books and devoured it in within one sitting (not to mention "read it again, mom! read it again!") -or- they hated the book and wanted nothing to do with it. My dd went as far as hiding books she didn't like or didn't want me to read to her.

IEW: It sounded really good when one of the parents brought it up in the homeschool group in which I participate. Then she emailed me details and I just can't with the several hundreds of dollars for one subject. Between that and CC there is no way our budget wouldn't be blown and is the reason why I was like thanks but no thanks to both.

Sahamamama wrote:

We like and use MCT, but I do understand the comment about MCT being arrogant. It isn't anything obvious or pervasive, just little things here and there, and nothing I can specifically name without going through the books (and e-mail list and MCT forums) to find an example. Mainly, though, it is more a subliminal impression I got--but not strong enough for me to stop using the materials.

This thread is very, very interesting. Obviously, there are programs some love and others hate, and we shouldn't make decisions on what will work well for us because of this.

On the other hand, if you look carefully, there seems to be some trends. Certain programs seem to crop up awfully regularly together (as either love or hate). Looks to me like if our family loves a particular program that others hate, we very well may liking others that are on that hate list, too! Especially if they're listed together more than a time or two. As I said, interesting!