Menu

How many crockpots do you have?

How many crockpots do you have?  

1. 1. How many crockpots do you have?

• Two or more.
    • One plus the "little dipper" small one
    • One
    • None

I'm going to try and add a poll to this, but since I've never done this before....I'm not sure I'll get it right - Hey, look! It worked!

Here's my reason for the poll. I'm trying to justify the purchase of a smaller crockpot. DH asks why should we get another one and I'm thinking it'll be easier to use for just me and the kids while dh is gone on deployment. Plus, I saw a really yummy chocolate fudge cake recipe that calls for a 3 qt crockpot (ours is either 6 or 7 qts) :tongue_smilie::D.

I have a large oval one (gift from mom) that cooks really slow but I can fit a large roast and veggies in it. I have a medium one that is my go to for just about everything else. And then I have a little one I got free from a friend, so far it has only been used to warm compresses during labor and make an herbal soak.

I voted 'None'. Am I really missing something? Having read about crockpots here I decided a while ago to find out a little more about them, and couldn't really see the point. I can understand how, if I were out working all day, it would be great to come home to something that had been slowly cooking all day. But I'm here most of the day, most days. I can easily put a casserole in the oven. Isn't a crockpot just another piece of equipment to clutter up my kitchen, without really making my life any easier.

I would love someone to enlighten me, to tell me that I've got it all completely wrong, and how a crockpot is really the answer to all my prayers :tongue_smilie:.

Best wishes

Cassy

I have....none

I did have a BIG one, DH broke it (lesson learned, don't let DH near my kitchen babies :tongue_smilie: )

I am hoping to get two, big family sized stew/roast one, and a little/med one. When I had the big one I noticed a lot of recipes I planned to use would barely cover the bottom of the pot (these were for soups, stews etc) so a smaller one is definitely needed for me, but you also need a large one that will fit a leg /rack of something or a chicken etc.

I voted 'None'. Am I really missing something?

I would love someone to enlighten me, to tell me that I've got it all completely wrong, and how a crockpot is really the answer to all my prayers :tongue_smilie:.

Best wishes

Cassy

1. I like to slow cook large batches of various types of beans. 12- 15 hours worth, but I can't stand the smell for that long. I have a covered porch with a gate. I put the crock pot outside to cook. Often overnight.

2. We eat a lot of venison. But heating my oven to slow roast venison heats my whole house. Unless it's January or February the crock pot is more economical in terms of energy. Actually, even in January or February I use the crock pot for venison, it makes it more tender- I don't have to add any fat, just wine.

I voted 'None'. Am I really missing something? Having read about crockpots here I decided a while ago to find out a little more about them, and couldn't really see the point. I can understand how, if I were out working all day, it would be great to come home to something that had been slowly cooking all day. But I'm here most of the day, most days. I can easily put a casserole in the oven. Isn't a crockpot just another piece of equipment to clutter up my kitchen, without really making my life any easier.

Best wishes

Cassy

Not exactly the answer to all your prayers, but I find my crockpot extremely convenient when I'm out in the afternoon and don't want to have to start a meal at 6:30 or 7pm. I used to use it every week when ds had late swimming lessons. Dh can't cook much, but if I had a crockpot meal in, he could make rice and a frozen veg and have dinner on the table when we got home. I don't use it as often now, but still find it extremely convenient on occasion. And there are a few favorite meals that I use it for even if I'm at home.

Not exactly the answer to all your prayers, but I find my crockpot extremely convenient when I'm out in the afternoon and don't want to have to start a meal at 6:30 or 7pm. I used to use it every week when ds had late swimming lessons. Dh can't cook much, but if I had a crockpot meal in, he could make rice and a frozen veg and have dinner on the table when we got home. I don't use it as often now, but still find it extremely convenient on occasion. And there are a few favorite meals that I use it for even if I'm at home.

1. I like to slow cook large batches of various types of beans. 12- 15 hours worth, but I can't stand the smell for that long. I have a covered porch with a gate. I put the crock pot outside to cook. Often overnight.

2. We eat a lot of venison. But heating my oven to slow roast venison heats my whole house. Unless it's January or February the crock pot is more economical in terms of energy. Actually, even in January or February I use the crock pot for venison, it makes it more tender- I don't have to add any fat, just wine.

You are right, a crockpot isn't the answer to all your prayers...that would be your own chef along with a Zojirushi rice maker and a cast iron covered pot for those days when the chef is off.

The crock can make your life easier by freeing you up to not monitor the stove...you've got to go outside and tend your garden and collect your Vit. D sometime. It's also handy when nondriving teens have late afternoon/evening activities....you can safely leave or cook dinner in crock. Another use is pot lucks....can keep the food at a non-bacteria- happy temperature.

OK, I'm beginning to get sold on the idea :001_smile:. I do love cooking, and I do love kitchen gadgets. And, Heigh Ho, I've also heard other people sing the praises of the rice maker (most famously here, Nigella Lawson), so you've now got me really interested. We've just started a two week break, so this afternoon I just might revisit crockpot shopping. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread too, it seems size really matters ;).

Many thanks

Cassy

A few years ago, I got this http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33135-6-Quart-Stainless/dp/B000R8A1OK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333113214&sr=8-2 (well, in boring white because I got it when it first came out! -- I paid $40 for it).

It answers the size question.

And I could get by with just that one BUT I also have a big old one whose knob is frozen in HIGH and the little dipper one that came with the big old one. The big old one sits in the garage, wrapped in a plastic bag, and I get it out whenever we have a crowd over after church -- maybe I make red chili in one and white chili in the other.

I got a 3 qt a few months ago. I have had my 6 qt since we got married and love it, but some dishes just don't need a big one. Like bbq chicken - when I put 1 1/2 lbs of chicken in my big crockpot with a bottle of BBQ sauce, it burns. Small crockpot - nice and juicy, less mess. Small crockpots are cheap - just do it!

I have 3. Two are 7 qt and one is a 6 qt. I love my crockpots...DH just bought me the 2- 7qt ones when he got a job 2 weeks ago...my "Thanks for not going insane during my months of unemployment" gifts. :lol:

I like to keep bone broth going at all times so one pot is constantly in use for that. I also like to wake up to breakfast ready & crockpot #2 makes that possible. The 6qt doesn't have a permanent job but it's there in case I want it. :D

Two plus a little dipper. I have one that is the standard small-ish (1.5 qt? 3.5 qt??) size--I had that from before we were married. Now I also have a 6 qt. programmable crock pot. I don't use it often, but it does come in handy. There's a lot that my smaller one can't handle. I have the little dipper because I got it free when redeeming points for some online reward system. I don't really care for it because I can't control the heat and it gets too hot for a cheese sauce (which is the only thing I've used it for).

I have a 7 quart and a 4 quart. I use the smaller one when I'm just cooking for my immediate family, and the larger one if we're having company or I want a leftover meal. I also use the larger crock for making a gallon of yogurt at a time, and for doubling refried beans to last for lunch for a week.

Even though I'm home all day, I love having dinner taken care of after breakfast or by lunch time. It frees us to go out and spend gorgeous afternoons at the park and arrive home at the same time as my husband and sit down to a nice meal together.

I have 4 medium sized, 1 with three small sections, I had a dip one but never used it so I got rid of it, I had a small round one but DH ruined it, I had a very large one but lent it to someone and never got it back, and I had another medium one but DH broke it.

For some reason, for a few years I kept getting one for Christmas. I guess no one that came for Christmas dinner noticed the line of crock pots on the counter containing our whole dinner course :tongue_smilie:

I have a large one and a small one. I would love another big one and a medium one. The thought of having breakfast waiting on me in the morning makes me happy. And I could use the others to make dinner (and some sides). I use them in the winter so I don't have to worry about when everyone gets home. And in the summer I don't have to heat up my entire kitchen.

If you don't know what to cook in a crockpot or how or how long, get a slow cooker cookbook from the library. I really didn't have a clue (of what, how, how long), except for a couple of items, and cookbooks really helped.

Do you (or does anyone else) have any recommendations for good slow cooker cookbooks? Any real favourites?

TIA

Cassy

I have 3 of them. A 5.5 qt, a 3qt and a little dipper that came with one of the other ones.

I tried the hamilton beach 3 different size crock ones when the whole "is there lead in my crockpot crock" hoopla happened and I hated it. It never cooked as well as my rivals that I had gotten rid of. I went out and bought the 3 listed above (all rivals) and I love them all.

If you will be cooking smaller batches when dh is deployed (I know how this goes, mine is deployed now) then you really do need a smaller model. Trying to cook smaller amounts in a large crock doesn't always work because there isn't enough food in the crock for it to cook like it was designed to.

Best wishes

Cassy

For cooking beans, pea soup, bean soup, anything that would take an hour or more on the stove, I prefer to use the crockpot. We have a gas range and run the exhaust fan while using the oven or stovetop. I can't stand the sound of the fan, and much prefer the silence of the crockpot. And I love my quiet rice cooker for the same reason (well, I also love how wonderfully it cooks rice!).

OK, I'm beginning to get sold on the idea :001_smile:. I do love cooking, and I do love kitchen gadgets. And, Heigh Ho, I've also heard other people sing the praises of the rice maker (most famously here, Nigella Lawson), so you've now got me really interested. We've just started a two week break, so this afternoon I just might revisit crockpot shopping. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread too, it seems size really matters ;).

Many thanks

Cassy

I have a recipe for baked chicken that makes it taste JUST like it has come out of the oven. But I dont' have to heat up my whole house to do it. What I love about it is that I can throw it all in and forget about it. It won't burn, won't get too hot, my smoke alarms won't go off because of the heat, and I don't have to try and get a heavy item outof hte oven. It is also FABULOUS for cooking beans. Stick them in the morning and leave them. Don't have to worry about them burning. I have a Hamilton Beach Stay and Go and it's wonderful. Cooks perfectly. I thinkt he lock down lid makes a difference. No heat escapes. http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/products/stay-or-go-slow-cookers-stay-or-go-6-quart-slow-cooker-33263.html

You've definitely got to me :o. I've just put an order in for one of these. I now need some good recipes. Momtoamiracle, that baked chicken sounds particularly good :drool5:.

I think maybe I shouldn't have opened this thread. Hopefully in a week or so's time I'll be posting to say that I don't know how I ever lived without one.

Thanks (maybe) to those who've encouraged me. And sorry to the OP, my vote on your poll will soon be inaccurate.

Cassy

Off now to look at rice makers.

I only have 3 right now because I keep wearing them out- either the heating unit will go or the crock will get microcracks.

I like to buy the same brand and size so that I can have one heating unit with several interchangeable crocks. But, it's the set that was the same that had all the problems. So now I need to find a brand and size that I like that will hold up. :confused:

With 3 or more I can crock a large roast in one, then before it's clean and ready to re-use I can put the broth and some of the meat in another to make soup or stew. Then, the next day, I can start the next meal with the other set of crocks. (The first day's crocks still having leftovers in them and stored in the refrigerator.) I've found that if I put hot water into a crockpot it also works well for steaming brown rice- so that would take one of the 4 when I'm at full capacity. :D

Oh I have that tiny dipper one too, but I never use it. It came free with one of the others.

Edited by MomatHWTK