Menu

Do you do any of these things?

Do you. . .  

1. 1. Do you. . .

• look in the backseat of your car before you get in?
    • hold your keys like a weapon in the parking lot?
    • have a panic button on your key chain?
    • lock the car door while you are driving to prevent carjacking?
    • Other

I almost always have at least one child that is climbing into the backseat so I never actually look back there I would see someone when I open the door.

I do hold my keys as a weapon in a dark parking light. As well as park near an entrance or right under a lamp if I can.

I walk like I have a purpose looking people right in the eye.

I do lock the car doors while driving, not because I am afraid of car jacking but because I am afraid fo teh door flying open. It happened when I was a kid. My sister and I had been playing with the door and when my mom went to turn a corner the door flew open and my sister and I nearly fell out (this was of course in the days before seatbelts were the law). I have been terrified of that happening to my kids so the doors are almost always locked (they do not unlock just by pulling the handle). In rough areas I do double check them though.

I have a panic button, but only because it came with my remote. :-)

I *of course* always hold my keys like a weapon. A woman who fumbles for her keys while standing at the locked car is just silly. I take my keys out of my purse before I even leave the building, the instant my mind starts thinking "I'm going to the car, now."

I never lock my car doors when I'm driving. Once Mr. Ellie and his father were driving out in the country and came upon a car that had just crashed and was burning. The occupants were still alive in there. Mr. Ellie's father tried to get them out, but the doors were locked. Yeah. We never lock our doors.

Gosh, sometimes I don't even lock my car when I leave it.

I do take my keys out of my purse or pocket before I get into the parking lot, most of the time.

I do none of those things deliberately. My keychain came with a panic button, and I hate when I accidentally press it. Scares the heck out of me.

I do have my keys in my hand by the time I reach my car, but not as a weapon - I just hate wasting time looking for them, and I'm usually carrying other things so it's just easier.

After reading this thread, I don't know if I am naive or stupid! :tongue_smilie:

I never lock my car doors when I'm driving. Once Mr. Ellie and his father were driving out in the country and came upon a car that had just crashed and was burning. The occupants were still alive in there. Mr. Ellie's father tried to get them out, but the doors were locked. Yeah. We never lock our doors.

Oh, how awful! That's actually the only thing on the list that I do occasionally do, especially if I'm downtown. I also have been known to either call a real person or pretend to be on the phone when it's later and I'm a bit uncomfortable walking to my car.

I live in a safe rural area. I observe all of the precautions listed on the survey, plus check under my car and whether windowless vans are parked in the driver's side adjacent spot. I will soon be testing for my purple belt in combative martial arts (including hand-to-hand and knife/gun disarms).

I do not live in fear - I actually feel the opposite, very empowered by the precautions I take. I am currently in the process of getting certified to teach women's self defense.

We have guns at home, mostly for defending our livestock from predators and for hunting wild game for food. I do not have a cc permit, due to the fact that so many places I go (library, court house, university) have banned firearms. I wouldn't use one in a crowded situation due to the liklihood of hitting an innocent bystander. If I am in an isolated location, I just carry - no concealment involved.

Everyone has their own stand on this issue. In the words of my martial arts instructor, I am a quiet warrior. I will not start a fight, but I will defend myself and my loved ones. I would suggest that even those who live in "safe" neighborhoods take a few moments to contact local law enforcement to determine frequency and types of crimes that have occurred in your community. If it is low or nonexistent, then great, nothing to worry about. However, if it is high enough or serious enough to be a concern, do something about it. Don't depend on the old "knee to groin" method to save you. All the criminals know that plan and have countermeasures in mind.

Edited by hillfarm

No to the looking in the backseat-car is alarmed so if they get in they will have to have set it off

Yes to the keys in hand thing if I am alone in the parking lot

The car came with the panic button which I will also hold poised to hit if I am in an unlit area at night by myself

The car autolocks the doors at 5 mph so I don't need to think of that one

I do all of those things and more. I was explaining to my dd12 a while ago about this and it was an interesting conversation because my dh was there and was like :confused:. He had no idea I did all of that and he's never once thought of it. Just another difference between the sexes, I think. As a female, yes, I do worry more about that kind of thing than I think I would if I were male.

I have done all of these things at some point in time, but I don't regularly do them all. At night, I check the back seat before I get into the car. If I'm driving through an unfamiliar or "unfriendly" area, I lock the car doors. A few times, I have held my keys between my fingers like a weapon. I do have a panic button on my keychain.

We live in a very small town in northern Wisconsin. We leave the car doors unlocked, sitting in the driveway all the time. We also leave the house unlocked all the time. (Glad my address isn't listed anywhere! :) ) We actually haven't even known where the house key is for the last 9 years. We're pretty sure the house came with one, but don't know where it is. When we leave town (average of once a year?)we'll lock the house up and leave a "secret" way open to get back inside. Yeah, we're a robber's dream place. It only takes one time for something bad to happen, so we should be a little more careful. Hopefully we'll get a little smarter and you won't hear about the grisly killing of the family in the northwoods of Wisconsin some day. :)

Oh, and before moving here we lived in a small town in northern MN where on REALLY cold days, people would leave their cars RUNNING and UNLOCKED in the grocery store parking lot. The baggers there KNEW which cars were yours (very small town) and would load your groceries into your running car while you were paying. I wonder if they still do that?

I do not live in fear - I actually feel the opposite, very empowered by the precautions I take.

Everyone has their own stand on this issue. In the words of my martial arts instructor, I am a quiet warrior. I will not start a fight, but I will defend myself and my loved ones. I would suggest that even those who live in "safe" neighborhoods take a few moments to contact local law enforcement to determine frequence and types of crimes that have occurred in your community. If it is low or nonexistent, then great, nothing to worry about. However, if it is high enough or serious enough to be a concern, do something about it. Don't depend on the old "knee to groin" method to save you. All the criminals know that plan and have countermeasures in mind.

I used to be very relaxed about my own safety. Growing up overseas had meant that it wasn't even on my radar. Then I was r*ped (not in a car). I am not in fear now because of it but I am very aware.

I like your suggestions in the last paragraph I quoted.

I do the first two when I am in the city. My car locks the doors automatically once you start moving, so I didn't check that one because, technically, I'm not really the one locking the doors.

i admit i've become more slack since moving out of a city. i live in such a small rural town that i am probably becoming too comfortable in feeling safe. (very small town and very rural... i hear gun shots everyday from neighbors out hunting).

out of habit, i do still look at my surroundings when going to my car at a public place. if it's dark, i will glance in my backseat when getting in. i also will notice if the same car is behind me for too long and i'll keep an eye on them to see if their following me. my car automatically locks when i put it in drive, so i don't worry about that.

i no longer carry my keys as a weapon. i also have become slack about keeping my doors locked when i'm at home in the daytime. i used to always lock them religiously, and now i often keep my front door open with just the screen door closed.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I don't check the backseat of my car when I get in; I never have.

I always have my keys in hand before I go out to the parking lot so I'm not digging through my purse out there.

I have a panic button on my keychain because it came that way.

I always have the doors locked while I'm driving and even if I'm sitting in the car for some reason.

I never do any of those things and while working 16 years in inner-city Los Angeles, I never did them there either.

I am quite a trusting soul actually.

I do lock the car in a parking lot because I did have my purse stolen once, but other than that, I just don't bother and really don't live in fear.

I do tbe safety checks and have my CCW and I don't live in fear, either. I see it the opposite way. My prep allows me peace of mind.

All of the above plus a few extra things like:

Driving around a few times before opening our gate if here are cars parked on the road that we do not know or suspicious people.

Checking around when getting or out the car anywhere for possible attackers.

But the I live in Gauteng, South Africa, gangster paradise where highjacking is a popular sport.

We live behind nine foot walls with palisades. Our entire house as alarms even in the garage and we set it for stay at night... I cannot tell you how many times my husband has been up in the middle of the night and set the larm off by mistake.

We have neighbours that have eletrical fencing around the house and laser detector in the garden...

Our windows have burglar proofing everywhere and we have burglar gates in all doors or French doors. To this day nothing makes me panic more than a fire. I have been in this country for 18 years and still cannot handle these bars.

I do regular fire drills and sleep with the sets of keys right next to me.

The kids also have their own set in a special place in case they need to escape.

We live in our own 'prison' but then on the other hand you do not have to worry about your teenager sneaking in and out. :lol: Too hard...

I'm a bit paranoid. I think from growing up in the 80's and hearing everyone talking about people driving around in vans picking up kids. I also make sure to look around as I walk across the parking lot. I look under the van as I approach it to make sure no one is hiding underneath. I lock the doors to the van as soon as I get in.

I also keep all windows and doors locked all the time at home as well. And many more things. I try very hard not to let this rub off onto my kids though. I don't want them to be as paranoid as me.

I do these things, but I also try to make sure I am alert when I am out. I look over my shoulder constantly. I have my kids paired up and the hold hands in parking lots. This frees me up a lot to be constantly looking around.

My pastor who teaches self defense courses always says a good defense is a good offense. He says if you look like you are alert a would be attacker will usually pick another victim.

When it's dark, I check the backseat & carry my keys like a weapon. I always drive with my doors locked but not because I think about it, I have automatic locks. When it's dark, I do lock the door as soon as I get in the car. I don't have a panic button. I also chose other because when it's dark, I also: park in a well lighted area, as close to the store as possible; have extra awareness when walking toward my car; put my groceries in the trunk and get into the car as quickly as possible, or if it's just one arm load of bag or package I just hop in the car with it and lock the door immediately before stowing it. I'm not paranoid and do these things as habit.

Uh, I think you forgot the None of the above box. You can tell I live in the country. Now, if I'm in the city at night or in a scary part of town, I might lock my doors and when I lived in the city, I did some of the above once in a while.

None of the above, UNLESS I'm walking in a scary/dark parking lot or I'm driving in a dicey part of the city, which isn't often. (And I'm in the country in Ontario, too. :) ) I do look alert, look around, and use my instincts. Once in a while, they tell me I need to act differently or more cautiously, and I follow them.