Menu

Mars vs. Venus and I feel hurt

Excuse my while I vent and have a mini pity party. Thank you. :)

This morning at 8:10 my car wouldn't start. I think I need a jumpstart. I call my husband, who is ten minutes away at a gas station, about to get on the highway to head to an 11:00 meeting a two hours away in another part of the state. He declines/refuses to come home, saying that he is "cutting it close" for his meeting already. I remind him that I am taking DD to an appt @ 9:00 for which we will be charged $80 if we don't give 24 hrs notice for not coming. He says he's sorry, but that he has to go, and rattles off a list of folks to call before he hangs up.

So I try to call all whom he suggested....

-- AAA. My first inclination. On hold a long, long time. Turns out, the membership lapsed for non payment. He pays the bills. I specifically remember AAA calling last year asking us to renew, and DH told me he had already done so.

-- My insurance co, which does offer roadside help. Just not our particular type of policy.

-- My mother in law, DHs stepmom, who was going to watch the other kids while DD is at her appointment. She says she's sorry about my car and sorry that she won't see us today. No offer of help.

-- My neighbor, who isn't home.

-- The car dealership - no such service offered

Finally, I call a friend who graciously drops her plans, comes over, gives me a jump, then watches my kids while I drive to Auto Zone to get the battery tested.

I don't know....I guess I'm just hurt that DH was willing to let his wife and kids sit at home when he is 10 mins away, knowing that it would cost $$ to miss the appt. And that we don't have AAA, when he told me we did. And, I am getting over the flu and feel like crap. :)

Thanks for letting me vent.

:grouphug: Unless this was an extremely important meeting, I would be upset too. I would also call and renew the AAA membership today since you can't count on him.

I think I would be *more* irritated about the wild goose chases he sent you on than if he had just said "you're on your own." the dealership?? lol.

Thank you all. I didn't realize this was potentially a rule breaker. Honestly, I'm trying to process my feelings before he comes home from work. Yes, he definitely gets in "work mode." I think the 10 min thing, then the AAA thing, are def bothersome. In his defense, we weren't in any danger.

Perhaps this will cheer you up.

WHY MEN SHOULDN'T WRITE ADVICE COLUMNS

Dear Peter:

I hope you can help me. The other day I set off for work leaving my husband in the house watching the TV, as usual. I hadn't gone more than a mile down the road when my engine conked out and the car shuddered to a halt. I walked back home to get my husband's help. When I got home I couldn't believe my eyes. He was in the bedroom with a neighbor making mad passionate love to her. I am 32, my husband is 34 and we have been married for twelve years. When I confronted him, he broke down and admitted that he'd been having an affair for the past six months. I told him to stop or I would leave him. I love him very much, but ever since I gave him the ultimatum he has become increasingly distant. I don't feel I can get through to him anymore. Can you please help?

Sincerely,

Mrs. Sheila Usk

Dear Sheila:

A car stalling after being driven a short distance can be caused by a variety of faults with the engine. Start by checking that there is no debris in the fuel line. If it is clear, check the jubilee clips holding the vacuum pipes onto the inlet manifold. If none of these approaches solves the problem, it could be that the fuel pump itself is faulty, causing low delivery pressure to the carburetor float chamber. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Peter

Well, hmmm. I guess I have a different take on this one.

He sincerely thought you still had AAA, right? And since you pay for that service, I would expect that I would plan to use it in these types of situations.

So, I guess I could be irked that he didn't renew it, but it doesn't sound like he did it on purpose. I have never had a AAA call take more than a couple of minutes and they were there within 15. I am guessing that it was just an odd occurrence, likely due to the lapsed membership.

I wouldn't have expected my husband to turn around and rescue me. I do realize every family is different so I am not saying how you should feel about it.

But if you reminded him that it could cost you $80 to miss an appointment, and he was willing to accept that, I would assume that the meeting was very important to him (or at least he didn't want to stand out as being late).

It definitely sounds like a very frustrating day. I am sorry so many people let you down today, that does hurt. :grouphug:

This thread might be deleted, but I do know how you feel. I was 5 minutes away and my battery was dead on a Sunday morning. My friend and I had stayed overnight at a hotel to scrapbook and dh had the kids. I called him to come give me a jump, since the jumper cables were in his car. He told me to call AAA because he didn't want to get the kids in the car. They were 5 & 6, not like babies he had to strap in carseats. :glare: I told him that if he didn't come up there immediately, he would definitely regret it! He came, and I jumped my battery, but he still had to suffer my wrath a little for even suggesting that I call AAA in the first place!

:grouphug:

It really depends on how important this meeting was - and, if he's driving 2 hours for it, it sounds like it might have been important. I get what your saying about the appointment, but most offices are understanding if you call and say, "I am literally in my car, unable to start it." I once got a bill for not cancelling, I didn't remember even after the fact, but when I explained that the flu had hit my house hard, they were fine with waiving it.

And I kind of think you both might have missed the obvious - why not call a taxi?

I'd be more annoyed at the MIL. I mean I'd be annoyed at the husband for not coming home, but if he has to make the meeting, he has to make the meeting. If he's blowing off hte $80, then I wouldn't worry about that. The meeting is worth more than the $80 I'd guess.

But if the MIL was already supposed to help, I would be super annoyed and think she looked at it as 'oh good, now I don't have to watch all those kids'.

Or else she is just super clueless.

It really depends on how important this meeting was - and, if he's driving 2 hours for it, it sounds like it might have been important. I get what your saying about the appointment, but most offices are understanding if you call and say, "I am literally in my car, unable to start it." I once got a bill for not cancelling, I didn't remember even after the fact, but when I explained that the flu had hit my house hard, they were fine with waiving it.

And I kind of think you both might have missed the obvious - why not call a taxi?

:iagree:

One suggestion--get a portable car-jumping-battery-thingey. (Sorry--I really don't know what it's called.) We keep one in the back of the van to jump the battery when it dies.

Ugh... we all react and deal with things differently. I probably wouldn't have even called my husband. He's next to impossible to reach at work (they can't have their cell phones in the building, past the front security, if there is a camera on the phone, and he's usually not at his desk). If he has an in-house meeting, they are flexible. If it's out at the main office, it needs to be a major emergency (someone VERY sick, dieing, something like), primarily because if it's at the main office, someone has flown in to meet with him/his team.

Also it depends on what traffic is like where he is going. Around here, 3 hours of time to make a 2 hour trip can be cutting it close. All it takes is one idiot on the road or in the toll booth to screw it up for EVERYONE on the road. If we need to be somewhere in Jersey at a very specific time, not a just come around 2 we'll eat whenever, we leave about 2 hours early just to make sure we make it. The last kid party we had to go to, we spent the night in Jersey to make sure we didn't miss the party. Kid parties book for a certain amount of time. I could easily miss the whole thing if something happens on the way there. And "there", on a no traffic day should only take 50 minutes. So yeah, I understand where he's coming from.

He just called to say he was sorry, but that it was a very important meeting and he was in charge.

I have no problem calling AAA....but it was frustrating to have to wait on hold for a while and then learn that he did not pay the bill. This is not the first time DH has done such things (like once I was at the airport and my flight got canceled and he was too tired to pick me up...).

There are few taxis in the area (and no public transportation until the next county) and getting any taxi to carry me and three kids would take a while....directions to my house include "turn left at the cows."

I think this is very much a difference of opinion between us, and I thank all of you for sharing your thoughts and letting me vent here first. I am the sort who would drop anything to help him or our kids (and I do work, but very part time)...and he thinks differently. Not wrongly, just differently.

One suggestion--get a portable car-jumping-battery-thingey. (Sorry--I really don't know what it's called.) We keep one in the back of the van to jump the battery when it dies.

We use to have one. It's a great thing to have in a one call family. Now we just live literally next door to a car repair shop.

(I feel like the male advice columnist in the above post. :001_huh: )

I find myself siding with your husband. What if he were out of town? What if you were travelling and he was back home? The triple AAA thing is annoying, but that sounds like a symptom of a larger issue...maybe you depend on your husband too much? An adult should be expected to solve these issues on her own and while calling my husband would have been my first line of defense as well, I would never expect him to drop everything and rescue me in the circumstances you describe.

Barb

Dear Peter:

I hope you can help me. The other day I set off for work leaving my husband in the house watching the TV, as usual. I hadn't gone more than a mile down the road when my engine conked out and the car shuddered to a halt. I walked back home to get my husband's help. When I got home I couldn't believe my eyes. He was in the bedroom with a neighbor making mad passionate love to her. I am 32, my husband is 34 and we have been married for twelve years. When I confronted him, he broke down and admitted that he'd been having an affair for the past six months. I told him to stop or I would leave him. I love him very much, but ever since I gave him the ultimatum he has become increasingly distant. I don't feel I can get through to him anymore. Can you please help?

Sincerely,

Mrs. Sheila Usk

Dear Sheila:

A car stalling after being driven a short distance can be caused by a variety of faults with the engine. Start by checking that there is no debris in the fuel line. If it is clear, check the jubilee clips holding the vacuum pipes onto the inlet manifold. If none of these approaches solves the problem, it could be that the fuel pump itself is faulty, causing low delivery pressure to the carburetor float chamber. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Peter

Okay, I don't get it. His advice sounds reasonable to me.

It really depends on how important this meeting was - and, if he's driving 2 hours for it, it sounds like it might have been important.

This issue of the meeting and being late for it will never be resolved. Making an argument over it will only cause the husband to be more defensive, IMO.

I get what your saying about the appointment, but most offices are understanding if you call and say, "I am literally in my car, unable to start it." I once got a bill for not cancelling, I didn't remember even after the fact, but when I explained that the flu had hit my house hard, they were fine with waiving it.

I thought of the same thing. Or asking a friend for a ride.

And in my 25 years of marriage, I have never been charged a late fee by a doctor. Many offices are very understanding if you call them and explain why you are cancelling or rescheduling the appointment. That line of defense with the OP may be moot.

After all has been said, I guess my only bone to pick would be the MIL who did not help? Like, was she not supposed to be there that morning to watch the kiddos? Some help she was. :glare:

Great idea. Thank you!!!

Thanks for helping me process this before talking w/DH. Thanks to all who added their opinion.

Each family and dynamic is different. I can -- and have -- handled things when DH was out of town. But this time felt different for some reason. I realize that I was disappointed -- unreasonably so -- but that verbal tone and other support (AAA, family) meant a lot in this situation as well.

Blessings!

I expect my husband to rescue me. That's in the prenup.

He is out of town more than he is in town, that's why my best friend calls herself my "husband-in-law". When he is gone, she gets to change flat tires and shoot snakes for me.

If my husband had left me and the kids for a meeting, he'd have to beg me to move back into the bedroom.

At least I've grown up a tiny bit, and no longer get mad at him for the things he does wrong in my dreams.

I knew he was getting the short end of the stick when we got married, but fortunately, he hasn't noticed that yet.

When I went back to work after my C section, I left my poor hubby at home alone, for the first time, with a 3 week old baby and an infected V. I mean red softball. He was getting care. I left him on the bed, V elevated on rolled up socks, with baby in arms.

"You're not going back to work are you?" He looked almost wobbly-lipped.

"Yes, I HAVE to. Many people are depending on me."

Sometimes our jobs depend on being reliable. (Hubby did fine, too.)

as much as a working/not working thing. He is stressed about being on time. He knows if he drives where you are, he will inconvenience however many people will be at that meeting. Depending on what the meeting is and who is going to be there, I totally understand his point. He figured you had other options, and you did, though they weren't great.

What would you do in this case if he were out of town? He's thinking, that is what you should do.

:iagree: Those things are awesome! Have saved me on many occasions. It's great peace of mind having one of those - because whenever my battery dies, I'm always already late to something, and even if dh or AAA were available to help, I still wouldn't be able to get wherever in time.

And :grouphug:.

Honestly, I'd be most annoyed about the AAA renewal issue. AAA should have been the simple go-to fall back for that situation. I've had to use it when my DH has been out of town or detained at work. I get being annoyed. But when my DH has customer meetings set up via skype from over seas there's not too much to be done about scheduling. If it was just a co-worker meeting, he'd probably reschedule for something like that.

Dear Peter:

Sincerely,

Mrs. Sheila Usk

Dear Sheila:

Best regards,

Peter

:lol::lol::lol:

Kinda harsh, but maybe we just see this differently. My husband would have called me if it happened to him. I have no doubt about that. And I would have called him.

Granted, I try to do all I can to prepare for these possible emergencies (even pay extra for emergency services) because I have no nearby family so I'd be up shi** creek without some help.

So long as I wasn't calling him for every little thing all the time, I don't see the big deal.

I didn't mean for it to sound harsh. While I would have totally asked my husband to come give me a hand, I would have reacted differently than the OP if the answer had been no. Although come to think of it, if the situation were reversed, my husband would probably would have been the one to get upset if I didn't drop everything. Just a different dynamic.

Well, he was heading to a meeting for work a good two-hours away, and probably had to factor in time for parking, possible traffic, etc. Turning around 10 minutes away from you plus the jump plus the ten minutes back to where he was about to get on the roadway - I'd not have gone back, either. That would have been cutting it too close. Calling the place YOU were going to say you were waiting on AAA as your car wouldn't stop, then calling around, was your best bet.

And I agree with the others, renew AAA yourself. And yell at the man when he gets home!

My husband gets mad when I don't call him (first) for help, but his job kept him away for such long periods of time that I grew used to fixing things out on my own. My husband is the last person I'd think of to call.

If we had the dynamic that the OP has/wants, I'd be as upset as she is. The morning commute is the perfect reason or excuse to be a few minutes late, assuming time couldn't be made up during the drive. Random accidents, construction on the roads, ... we've all BDTD. Most people would be empathetic, if not sympathetic, to someone arriving late due to a dead battery; it's not something he'd be able to ignore if it were his own car, after all.

But as someone who does work outside of the house, and has a 4+ hour commute to work in a different state, I can also relate to his side. You've gotten into Work Mode, and if it was as important a meeting as it sounds it was and he already felt he was running behind (and during the aforementioned morning commute!) ... your adrenaline kicks in, and absolutely will override any sense you may usually have. You weren't stranded on the side of the road, you weren't with any young children (?), it wasn't 10 or 1000 degrees outside (?), and in his mind you were all set with AAA and a host of other options.

It sounds like a run of bad luck that not one of your options panned out ((((hugs)))) sorry for a rough start to your morning, and your understandably hurt feelings. I'm sure once the stress of your respective mornings passes, you'll each have some understanding of where the other was coming from.

It sounds like a run of bad luck that not one of your options panned out ((((hugs)))) sorry for a rough start to your morning, and your understandably hurt feelings. I'm sure once the stress of your respective mornings passes, you'll each have some understanding of where the other was coming from.

Yes, I do feel better having time and perspective (and a chance to vent here - thanks). It was a pain in the a&^ morning, and while I wish that things had been different, neither am I helpless. Deep breath. Making a nice dinner for my DH, because I love him, no matter what.

OP~sounds like you are feeling a bit better tonight :grouphug:. It sounds like a very frustrating morning.

I think my response in that circumstance would have been to renew AAA immediately. Over the phone. "Oh, we didn't renew? Well, here's my cc# now, will you please send a truck?" :). IDK, maybe it doesn't work like that. But I'd have tried it :).

OP~sounds like you are feeling a bit better tonight :grouphug:. It sounds like a very frustrating morning.

I think my response in that circumstance would have been to renew AAA immediately. Over the phone. "Oh, we didn't renew? Well, here's my cc# now, will you please send a truck?" :). IDK, maybe it doesn't work like that. But I'd have tried it :).

LOL nice try :D There is a waiting period between payment and activation, so that people don't just renew when they need it.

Thank you. And thanks to ALL who responded, whether we might have felt the same way or not. This is what I love about this place. In fact, it feels better to read posts from varying views. Thanks.

LOL nice try :D There is a waiting period between payment and activation, so that people don't just renew when they need it.

Why would they care anyway? If the renewal is going to cover a year period or something and they're getting their money, they shouldn't care if people just renew when they need it, they should just be glad they got the renewal, and the payment, and say, "Yes, wife, we'll be glad to send somebody out, yes, we're sorry (not really) that your husband is on his way to work two hours away and couldn't come help you (his loss, our gain)!"

Dear Peter:

Sincerely,

Mrs. Sheila Usk

Dear Sheila:

Best regards,

Peter

:lol: That's hysterical!!!!!

OP - :grouphug:

I find myself siding with your husband. What if he were out of town? What if you were traveling and he was back home? The triple AAA thing is annoying, but that sounds like a symptom of a larger issue...maybe you depend on your husband too much? An adult should be expected to solve these issues on her own and while calling my husband would have been my first line of defense as well, I would never expect him to drop everything and rescue me in the circumstances you describe.

Barb

Whoa, Nellie! That is harsh. My husband travels 75% of the time; I solve everything on my own when he goes out of town, but when he's around we are a team. If he got stuck, he would certainly call me. If I got stuck, I'd call him. Yes, we'd drop everything (in those circumstances) and rescue each other. An adult who is married should be able to expect support from a spouse.

Okay, I don't get it. His advice sounds reasonable to me.

:lol: :iagree: I showed this to my husband and he just about died laughing.

I told him, "If I ever come home and find you in the sheets with the neighbor, I'm gonna rewire your jubilee clips to the vacuum pipes on the inlet manifold." :lol:

Edited by Sahamamama

:lol: :iagree: I showed this to my husband and he just about died laughing.

I told him, "If I ever come home and find you in the sheets with the neighbor, I'm gonna to rewire your jubilee clips to the vacuum pipes on the inlet manifold." :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I find myself siding with your husband. What if he were out of town? What if you were travelling and he was back home? The triple AAA thing is annoying, but that sounds like a symptom of a larger issue...maybe you depend on your husband too much? An adult should be expected to solve these issues on her own and while calling my husband would have been my first line of defense as well, I would never expect him to drop everything and rescue me in the circumstances you describe.

Then why have AAA? Wouldn't that be expecting some repairman to drop everything and come rescue the hapless driver? Is it ok because he's paid?

Why stop with jump starting -- we need to do it all, from generating electricity to gathering our own eggs to picking our own cotton to building our own cars!

Societies, not to mention families, are usually predicated on concern and love. That does not always mean he has to drop everything, but it doesn't mean all of us don't like help when things go awry.

Whoa, Nellie! That is harsh. My husband travels 75% of the time; I solve everything on my own when he goes out of town, but when he's around we are a team. If he got stuck, he would certainly call me. If I got stuck, I'd call him. Yes, we'd drop everything (in those circumstances) and rescue each other. An adult who is married should be able to expect support from a spouse.

I love this. If we aren't loving support and the first one to call for help, is marriage just a business arrangement?

Why would they care anyway? If the renewal is going to cover a year period or something and they're getting their money, they shouldn't care if people just renew when they need it, they should just be glad they got the renewal, and the payment, and say, "Yes, wife, we'll be glad to send somebody out, yes, we're sorry (not really) that your husband is on his way to work two hours away and couldn't come help you (his loss, our gain)!"

That sounds nice, but AAA is like an insurance company. You can't your agent after an earthquake and say "oh, remember that earthquake insurance I turned down a year ago....Yeah, well I need it, well like 2 hours ago.....Can I add that to my policy now, and have it cover my crumbled house? LOL

Nope, doesn't work that way.