Menu

Okay, last year, I had dinner with an attorney friend of dh's and when she was asking about our bedtime routine, I said that I read the kids picture books and a chapter book. She asked me what picture books were, and I said books with pictures in them. I mentioned this on some thread last year, and was chastised for being a little snotty about it in expecting a grown woman with young children to know what a picture book is.

We just got home from our annual dinner with this woman and her husband. I've been gluten-free since May, and when the bread came to the table I declined and she asked me if I wasn't hungry. I explained that I no longer eat gluten, and she asked what that meant, and I said, well, I can't eat certain grains like wheat, barley, and rye. So, later on in the dinner she asked me about the gluten thing again, and again I explained that I couldn't eat wheat. Then she said, "But you can still eat white bread, right?" I said, "Well, no, not if it's made from wheat flour." She said, "Why would white bread be made with wheat flour?" I said, "Well most of the bread sold in stores, and these rolls, for example, are made with wheat flour.", and then proceeded to explain about the various parts of a grain of wheat and the difference between white flour and whole wheat flour.

I'm asking seriously here- is this not general knowledge? Am I being snotty in my opinion that this lady needs to shut down her texting and start reading a book or something? Really. She's an attorney, for crying out loud. I wouldn't want her to represent me if she's that clueless about general knowledge. Am I out of line in thinking that an adult should know what bread is made from?

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it. I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me the exact same thing. Then there are the people who tell me that dh, who is allergic to dairy, can have ice cream because "it's not milk" and they're not talking about non-dairy ice creams either. Or those who tell me that my dh can't have eggs because "that's dairy". No, it's just kept on the dairy aisle at the grocery store but doesn't come from a cow!

I believe it. I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me the exact same thing. Then there are the people who tell me that dh, who is allergic to dairy, can have ice cream because "it's not milk" and they're not talking about non-dairy ice creams either. Or those who tell me that my dh can't have eggs because "that's dairy". No, it's just kept on the dairy aisle at the grocery store but doesn't come from a cow!

:svengo:

People are really dumb sometimes...

:svengo:

I came out of the kitchen to read this story (and the other one) to DH. DS10, who is in another room, overheard and said, "Really?!:001_huh:"

I hear the egg one all. the. time.

Or those who tell me that my dh can't have eggs because "that's dairy". No, it's just kept on the dairy aisle at the grocery store but doesn't come from a cow!

I think of dairy as milk, eggs, cheese & butter, so I might make the mistake if all I knew was that he couldn't have dairy--it would be a ~duh~ moment, and I'd smack myself on the forehead when corrected. But I would have made the mistake (not now ;) ) just because eggs come to mind when I hear "dairy."

Are you being for real, scrappy???

I can only wish that I was kidding. I just don't know how to respond sometimes to the stupidity. She does employment law, and I'm sure she's good at what she does, but I just don't understand people who don't know basic information about things that I'd consider to be common knowledge. I mean, when you're in grade school, don't you learn that bread is made from grain? Haven't most people heard the story of the Little Red Hen? Or even buying a bag of flour at the grocery store- can't you see that it says wheat flour on it?

The picture book thing threw me for a loop last year. I can only imagine what my face looked like when she asked me how white bread could be made from wheat flour. Egads!

It is sad and funny. But a few years back I had the same conversation with my sister. She was thinking of cutting out wheat (because of various medical issues), but didn't realize that meant "white" flour too. :tongue_smilie: It was hard for me not to laugh (ok, I did a little). The real issue is that most people do not think about food at all. They don't understand what things are made of, or where the ingredients come from. My sister is a smart person, but she also tends to either eat out or eat prepackaged stuff.

And it is funny how many people think eggs are dairy but butter is not. I nursed 3 boys allergic to dairy, and when I would ask if there was dairy in something I would always laugh when the person replied, "No, there isn't any dairy, just butter." Or, "Yes, there is diary, there's eggs in it." :D

… but I just don't understand people who don't know basic information about things that I'd consider to be common knowledge. I mean, when you're in grade school, don't you learn that bread is made from grain? …

I did not learn this in grade school, and not much of anything else. Also, both my parents worked and spent very.little.time with me as I was growing up. Remember, we are born not knowing any common knowledge, it must be taught and learned. If no one takes the time to teach "common knowledge", it won't be known.

I'm not suprised really and I think it's kind of sad. It proves how far removed our society is from the production of food. I read a survey once -of second graders - some didn't even know milk came from a cow :confused:

My 5yo knows bread is made from wheat as well as cookies, cakes, pasta etc. She had to have a crash course after being put on a gluten free diet so maybe that doesn't count - but honestly if she could learn it in a couple weeks - how come an adult has never come across this in her many years of life? :confused:

Lets hope your friend was having a brain freeze and when she got home she smacked herself on the forehead and thought "Duh, how could I be so stupid for saying that" :lol:

What kind of an attorney is she? how can someone with so much education be so stupid?

:iagree: Not a big fan of the word stupid either, but if the shoe fits!? This isn't an early April Fool's right? Did she pay someone to take the bar exam for her? I take it she doesn't read food labels with any regularity. Or maybe she just likes to hear herself talk.

Stupid should hurt.

I disagree, Imp, and I don't think this phrase sounds like you at all.

Some people will never be the sharpest knife in the drawer. That's fine. My beef is how we place dull knives in charge of the most important carving jobs these days.

If you're an Eversharp, be an Eversharp. Goodness knows, there's enough on the table that needs cuttin' fit for an Eversharp. If you're nothing but a putty knife we still can't get along without you. But don't try to do the work of a Wusthof.

~TD, who is not even drinking, but should be to come up with an analogy like that

Some people will never be the sharpest knife in the drawer. That's fine. My beef is how we place dull knives in charge of the most important carving jobs these days.

If you're an Eversharp, be an Eversharp. Goodness knows, there's enough on the table that needs cuttin' fit for an Eversharp. If you're nothing but a putty knife we still can't get along without you. But don't try to do the work of a Wusthof.

~TD, who is not even drinking, but should be to come up with an analogy like that

:lol: Now I want to know what kind of knife I am. Seems to me there should be a quiz for that :lol:

When it appears to be a complete lack of common sense, then yeah, it should hurt...like an ice cream headache, or jolt from a training collar. Let ppl know, that uh, better rethink that...

Maybe if there was some sort of electric shock innate w/a complete lack of common sense, governments world wide would be better run.

Then again, I'm cranky, so maybe I'm looking at it wrong today.

I didn't read the responses beyond the first page but I once knew a person who was HIGHLY educated who would ask really simply questions like your friend just to see how people answered. He knew, he just wanted to see if you did.

My Dad is like that, minus the highly educated part.

To me, it's rude. A way of playing and testing ppl to confirm their own superiority.

I didn't read the responses beyond the first page but I once knew a person who was HIGHLY educated who would ask really simply questions like your friend just to see how people answered. He knew, he just wanted to see if you did.

:iagree:

One of my thoughts was that maybe, knowing you homeschool, she was checking to see just how stupid you were.

My sister once said the same thing to me. And my dh, who is VERY smart normally, once tried to give my son yogurt because he didn't realize it had milk. When I asked him what on earth he thought yogurt was made of he said "yogurt". When I asked again he said that he heard you used yogurt to make yogurt:lol:. I had to explain that you add a little yogurt to MILK to make more yogurt. sigh.

Just goes to show how far removed we really are from our food and where it comes from. :glare:

Attorney = someone good at memorizing a great deal of information and barfing it back out on a test

I think this is what the problem is.

One of my thoughts was that maybe, knowing you homeschool, she was checking to see just how stupid you were.

Pretty sure this isn't it. She used to work in the firm where I was the office manager, and she left to have her own practice. After I decided to stay home with the kids, she repeatedly asked me to come work for her, so I think she considers me to be intelligent. I really like her. She is a good hearted person, so I feel kind of like a heel for posting this. It just stuns me that someone who has managed to make it as far as she has in this world can get through it without knowing some basic stuff.

:lol: Now I want to know what kind of knife I am. Seems to me there should be a quiz for that :lol:

Maybe I don't want to know, though. :tongue_smilie:

As a funny aside, my 5 yo son was preparing his presentation for CC (show and tell surprise) and he had to come up with hints for the 'mystery' in his bag. It was a chocolate bar. He said it was a rectangle, tasted yummy, and was gluten free. :lol: He read the ingredients and came up with that one on his own. And we aren't even gf (though his grandma is).

Sounds like someone needs a dose of the real world.

Yes, she must have been hsed to have lived such a sheltered, unsocialized life. Oh wait, but most hsers learn to bake and know where flour comes from, hmm...

Honestly, it is shocking on the one hand that a successful adult wouldn't know these things, but at the same time, I would not be at all surprised to find school kids, even teens who are ignorant of this "common knowledge". I guess if such teens make their way through college without studying children's lit. or baking, these are the adults we end up with :tongue_smilie:.

Fortunately, I seem to have a knack for quickly determining the root of a person's misunderstanding, and addressing it before the situation becomes embarrassing. I probably would have said, "Oh, you're thinking of whole wheat bread, but since white flour is still wheat flour just with the bran removed, I can't eat that either."

As far as the picture book thing.....I've never referred to books with pictures in them as "picture books". We just say it's time to read a book or it's time for a story. To me, I would think a picture book is a book with just pictures in it and no words. We never called them picture books when I was a kid. So, I wonder if this has to do with what part of the United States a person grows up in.

If she doesn't cook and has no allergies in her family, she may honestly not be familiar with this information.

And you said she's a nice person....it really seems mean to post this so other people can call her 'stupid'. I wonder how she would feel if she read this thread...

anyways, I'm sure I have some pretty weird gaps in my knowledge too. It sounds like you took the time to explain to her about wheat etc and that was nice. It sounds like she's not afraid to ask you 'stupid' questions....I always appreciate the people who answer my silly questions (like my kids music teachers)

Guest submarines

People have different priorities and different interests. If cooking and nutrition is not one's priority, it doesn't really make that person stupid, does it? :confused:

As long as she is comfortable with asking questions and knows who to ask, and how to research, she has nothing to worry about. In fact, it seems that when she wanted to learn something new, she used the opportunity and asked a knowledgeable person.

There are many people who are too afraid to appear stupid, and they'd rather not know, than ask a question.

This thread is full of really bizarre judgment. :confused: