Menu

MIL is close to home. Please pray for DH

cin

Dh got 'the' call this morning. He went to his mom's bedside and will remain there until she goes home. Please pray for him, as he is there by himself. He wanted me to stay home with the girls. I know I'm doing what is right, but I still feel like I am not doing what I should be doing. KWIM?

TIA

thank you all so much. I am feeling SO ALONE right now. He's with her, and I'm home with the kids, who have no idea, and are outside playing and running around like crazy. I am alone in my grief right now. And it is SO. HARD.

Being alone is horrible, isn't it? We were doing this last week. And you know what? I think you should find a babysitter if at all possible and go sit with them.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Rosie

I keep thinking about you and your family today. I'm so sorry for everything your going through. I wish there was something I could do to help. :grouphug: Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be happy to have your girls over to play with Little Librarian for the afternoon.

Being alone is horrible, isn't it? We were doing this last week. And you know what? I think you should find a babysitter if at all possible and go sit with them.

Rosie

I agree. Went through this last month. When it was over, DH said he was so grateful I moved heaven and earth to be there with him.

Praying for your family. :grouphug:

Rosie

I agree. Went through this last month. When it was over, DH said he was so grateful I moved heaven and earth to be there with him.

Praying for your family. :grouphug:

spoken from two people in the know.

Is there anyone who cold sit with the girls?

thank you all so much. I am feeling SO ALONE right now. He's with her, and I'm home with the kids, who have no idea, and are outside playing and running around like crazy. I am alone in my grief right now. And it is SO. HARD.

Praying or all of you, a special thing for him to be with her!

A few years ago when my grandpa was dying, my sister brought her daughter along as she had no where else to leave her. My niece was 8 at the time. My sister told her they were there because grandpa was dying but we had no idea how long it would be. Mostly niece stayed out of the room he was in because it was so emotionally draining to be in there. However, as the rest of us drifted in and out of the room grandpa was in, Niece provided a wonderful diversion to the heaviness we all felt. Niece was very happy she has a chance to say goodbye and we were thankful she was there because she went and got us drinks snacks, kleenex, more kleenex, and even more kleenex as the night progressed.

My sister hadn't wanted to bring her daughter but afterward everyone was very glad she did.

While your husband might think he doesn't want them there, I would probably drop in and at least give him that temporary diversion. Somehow it made the waiting so much easier.

:grouphug: for this difficult time no matter what you decide.

Thank you all so much. Part of our problem with me not going, is that we don't want to tell our girls yet. They know that grandma is sick and dying, but my oldest has horrible anxiety and depression (yeah, at age 10). We would prefer not to tell her until we are pretty much leaving for the memorial service, but I know we have to tell her before then. He actually took his backpack with him this morning and left a note for them that he had to go to work.

I had thought about somehow sneaking out to go over, but DH pointedly did not tell MIL's dear friend about the phone call, so he could have time with mom. I was rather surprised by that, but he told me he wanted to be alone. I also realized that I have a horrific cold, and probably shouldn't even walk into the building. I know it wouldn't affect his mom, but the other residents don't need my germs.

After spending almost 9 hours there today, he did leave. His mom actually sort of stabilized. She didn't come back, but she stabilized, as he put it, near death's door. We aren't surprised by this. She was always healthy as a horse, constantly exercising, walking 2-3 miles a day AND doing aerobics, mowing the neighbors' lawns in the summer, etc. Her heart is probably healthier than that of a 25 yr old. The hospice nurse actually told him it was ok to go home. He's had time to say whatever he needed to say. His children (and wife) need him. They are incredible. I could SO not do that job. The only job harder than that, would be to work for a pediatric hospice. DH plans to go back tomorrow, if she is still with us.

Again, thank you all so much. I so appreciate the hugs and prayers. It has kept me going today. You guys are the bestest!

Praying for your dh and your MIL, Cin, as well as for you and your kids.

And please don't beat yourself up for not being able to be there. I know others have suggested that you should get a babysitter and go, but I was in the same situation you're in when my MIL was dying, and I felt awful that my dh was there alone with her, but it turned out that he felt better that I was home with our ds, rather than being at the hospital, because it kept things "normal" for ds for as long as possible. He truly never resented it that I wasn't there -- although I felt terribly guilty about it at the time, and even for quite a while afterward.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Praying. It is so hard to be the waiter......and alone. Do you have a girlfriend who can come sit with you...and distract you, or make you tea??

Faithe