Menu

My dd's friend who goes to the local high school...

My dd was talking to a friend recently who goes to the local high school. They were talking about government and my dd asked her friend if she knew who the President was when she was born. She answered "Abraham Lincoln?":001_huh:

I insisted she must be joking. She insisted she wasn't. Dd said, "No. He was President in the 19th century." Friend answers, "Oh. What century are we in now?" :001_huh:

Dd asked her if she knew what Abraham Lincoln had abolished. Friend said, "The Constitution?":001_huh:

Then friend said, "I'm not even taking history right now! How would I know this stuff?"

Sigh...

OOOO! google "Lunch Scholars" (an in-school take-off, all real of Jay Leno's man-on-the-street gig).

My kids were in utter shock. Spun off about an hour of discussing WHY we study, and WHY it's important. I don't think my 8yo has worked that hard on school for awhile. :lol:

one of my kids said, "1771" when I asked when the Amercian Civil War began. Right after we studied it and dc watched Ken Burns. I'm not proud, but it happens.

:D

The other thing? I've lost thousands in my own home answering Jeopardy questions not phrased as a question.

Edited by LibraryLover

When 9/11 happened, we had an employee who had just graduated from high school working one of our sales counters.

Remember when we went to war and Great Britain stepped right up with us? Well, this employee was watching TV and said, "Wow. Why do the British always back us up first?" And I chuckled and said, "Pretty cool considering that 200 years ago, we were fighting the British to the death, eh?"

His response was, "We did? Why?"

Really? Revolutionary War? Nope. He had no clue. And he had just graduated from high school a few months prior to that conversation.

*sigh*

I'm not terribly surprised. My niece who is also in high school had never heard of Stonehenge and couldn't tell me the name of the CURRENT Vice President.

My 7yo was SUPER excited to find a Stonehenge background for the laptop - he was flipping through them & exclaimed "WOW Mom, look!! It's Stonehenge!!". I must say - it was one of those "aw, I love homeschooling" moments... :D

The VP is a wash, though - I have to work really hard to come up with this one's name, and I actually follow politics (to a point)... ;)

Well, my daughter got 2 out of 3. She didn't know who the president was when she was born. She told me the one she remembered first, Bush. She was born during the Clinton years. And she had heard of Joe Biden but didn't know who he was. Oh well, she is not exactly keen on things of a historical nature. She also wishes she could vote this year. It would be exciting.

Dd asked her if she knew what Abraham Lincoln had abolished. Friend said, "The Constitution?":001_huh:

This is sad because I'm an Aussie who never took a history class at school ever and I know the answer to this. Even if she never took a history class does she not watch t.v or read?

When 9/11 happened, we had an employee who had just graduated from high school working one of our sales counters.

Remember when we went to war and Great Britain stepped right up with us? Well, this employee was watching TV and said, "Wow. Why do the British always back us up first?" And I chuckled and said, "Pretty cool considering that 200 years ago, we were fighting the British to the death, eh?"

His response was, "We did? Why?"

Really? Revolutionary War? Nope. He had no clue. And he had just graduated from high school a few months prior to that conversation.

Oh help us all. Scary isn't it!

There are plenty of American history questions I know I can't answer.:)

I'm thinking it should be pretty common knowledge that Lincoln lived a long time ago even if one doesn't even know there was a civil war or that he was the president during it. I mean, don't the schools celebrate President's Day every year and isn't he one of the presidents they focus on?;)

And, the Constitution? Shouldn't all Americans know that that is our foundational document and that it is still in effect?:)

After reading threads like this, I am becoming more and more convinced that if they work together, some day homeschool kids could rule the world.

You may be right. But whatever would the world do with all those mummified chickens? I guess they can hash out the details (in Latin, natch) when the time comes.

A few years ago I was talking with my DH's niece who was in high school at the time. I don't remember what we were talking about, but I mentioned "JFK." She looked at me funny so I said, "John F. Kennedy." Again, blank stare. I started slowly stating facts about him and she said she never heard of him and she must not have learned about him yet. Um, wow. :001_huh:

I'm not really sure this is a homeschooling/ public school thing, I think it's just the parents. Whether your kid learns it in school or not, how could a parent let their kid get to 15 without knowing basic things like that.

My 8 year old, public schooled, Canadian daughter knew those.

I'm not really sure this is a homeschooling/ public school thing, I think it's just the parents. Whether your kid learns it in school or not, how could a parent let their kid get to 15 without knowing basic things like that. ..

I agree with your comments, but many of the parents in my area would not:

A neighbor once told me that as a parent, it is her job to make sure her kids are happy; it is the school's responsibility to educate them.

I'm not really sure this is a homeschooling/ public school thing, I think it's just the parents. Whether your kid learns it in school or not, how could a parent let their kid get to 15 without knowing basic things like that.

My 8 year old, public schooled, Canadian daughter knew those.

:iagree: I don't think of my kids as superior because we homeschool. I was public schooled through college and I'm no dolt. ;)

No, they couldn't, b/c without having been in ps, they won't know how to do group projects!

*runs like heck*

That and they run around like chickens with their heads cut off during fire drills because they don't know how to line up.

(Seriously. This was one of my father's fears... lol)

:iagree: I don't think of my kids as superior because we homeschool. I was public schooled through college and I'm no dolt. ;)

I agree only that I ps also, however, the ps system we were in and the one now...vastly different. I remember memorizing dates, wars, and people. I was not very good at it, but my dad MADE me do it.

My 7yo was SUPER excited to find a Stonehenge background for the laptop - he was flipping through them & exclaimed "WOW Mom, look!! It's Stonehenge!!". I must say - it was one of those "aw, I love homeschooling" moments... :D

The VP is a wash, though - I have to work really hard to come up with this one's name, and I actually follow politics (to a point)... ;)

In Natural Bridge, Va, there is a life size replica of Stonehenge made out of STYROFOAM! Really. It's great. We stopped there on our way home from a trip to my mom's house last year. It's called "Foamhenge." :D

After reading threads like this, I am becoming more and more convinced that if they work together, some day homeschool kids could rule the world.

I thought this same thing when I was sitting in a lecture by Michael Clay Thompson at the Cincinnati convention last year and he was talking about the importance of understanding grammar. I know from teaching college French that the majority my college students couldn't identify basic components of the English language, let alone French. MCT was saying that in order to use language well in written form, you need to understand how the pieces fit together. I thought to myself right then, "Homeschoolers are going to save the world from utter stupidity!"

No, they couldn't, b/c without having been in ps, they won't know how to do group projects!

*runs like heck*

I wouldn't worry too much about the group project issue. I personally think group projects are a misnomer. They should be called "Let's get the smartest kid in the group to do all the work, then we'll sign our names" project. Homeschoolers will do fine. They just won't let the slackers sign their names. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about the group project issue. I personally think group projects are a misnomer. They should be called "Let's get the smartest kid in the group to do all the work, then we'll sign our names" project. Homeschoolers will do fine. They just won't let the slackers sign their names. ;)

:lol::iagree:

:confused: And you know some schools require 1-2 years of American History to graduate. Those .99 placemats with the Presidents on them were a mighty worthy investment around here. Maybe they should issue one with history class.

:iagree: We have those kind of placemats, too. DH is particularly concerned with politics and regularly quizzes the kids at dinner. We use placemats, but he also makes up a bunch of government questions on the fly and teaches them. He is very determined that they will not be one of the dolts on those "Man on the Street" clips where they can identify Snookie but not the Vice President. :D

Sadly, my 12 year old could tell you what year WWI ended, but he didn't know who the VP was (although he'd heard of Biden) and he didn't know how many Supreme Court Justices there are. Now my seven year old immediately piped up with 9 for that last one, so my book strewing has had an effect on someone. Phew.