Menu

Turbo Tax--would you/did you use it?

We have used Turbo Tax for the past few years. Just wondering if it is still a good program for basic taxes?

We don't itemize and have a lower/modest income.

We will though have to pay a tiny tax out of state as we got a small check for a lease for a pipeline to run through the corner of some property there.

I've used it for the last few years and it changed my life. :D Well, at least my do-the-taxes life. Love it, love it, love it.

... I remember my dad locked in the bedroom slaving over taxes for weeks before the April 15th deadline. So glad dh and I don't have to do it that way!

:iagree: only it was me that was locked in the bedroom, slaving away to the point of tears most years. Tax software, which I began using a few years ago now, was a huge GIFT in my life. Now I kinda enjoy doing them. :tongue_smilie: (I prefer TaxAct over TurboTax).

I've used it the past 10 years that I've been doing our taxes, and I don't know how many years my folks used it before that. I've never had a problem.

ETA: We do itemize and my husband works in the national guard and deploys just about every 2 years, which impacts our taxes, so our situation isn't super simple. But it doesn't ever take me but 2-3 hours to do everything.

Edited by HLDoll

I used to be an office manager at one of those tax prep places (no, I'm not saying which one) and the software they used was virtually identical to Turbo Tax. Now, occasionally someone would come in with an oddball situation where having someone experienced in tax preparation and very familiar with the tax code was useful. But for probably 98% of the clients, they would've done just as well using TT and it would've been a heck of a lot cheaper.

I do our taxes and have used it for about 10 years though not consecutively. I used H&R Block software 2 years in a row, and went back to Turbo Tax last year (for our 2010 taxes). H&R Block wasn't bad, but I found Turbo Tax to be more user friendly. I use the paid version for federal taxes only since Florida doesn't have a state income tax.

I used to be an office manager at one of those tax prep places (no, I'm not saying which one) and the software they used was virtually identical to Turbo Tax.

That's why we started using TT. We used to go to an accountant, a friend of dh's from high school. One year I watched him pull up our information from his computer, ask us about changes, and thought, "I'll bet I can do that". Dh felt bad dumping the CPA, but since it saved us over $300 he got over it pretty fast. :D

I used H&R block online, it used to be called TaxCut.

I use it because I get to use it for free through militaryonesource.com since dh is active duty military. I've used it for years now.

My mom uses TurboTax and loves it. I prefer H&R block because I find it easier, but that's probably because it's the only e-file program I've ever used so it's second nature to me.

We have used Turbo Tax for years.

Today I got a letter from the IRS stating we overpaid on our 2009 taxes. Our refund will be here in six to eight weeks. In 2009, I used Turbo Tax and paid what was due (it was a lot). I have no idea why we are getting a refund but I'm happy we don't owe.

We've used it for, I think, the past 7 years. We are in a similar position, minus the out of state money, and we are very happy with them. I do remember a part of the process asking about out of state income, so it is covered. We were annoyed with the extra cost to take the cost of the program out of our refund, but we didn't have the money to pay out of our account, so we had to do that. We did the online version, the next one up from the free/minimal one.