Menu

What math do you use?

scrapbabe

What math program do you use for K-6?  

1. 1. What math program do you use for K-6?

• Math Mammoth
    • CLE
    • Horizons
    • Saxon
    • Singapore
    • Right Start
    • MUS
    • Miquon
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • Something Else (please tell)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Singapore, since both kids are currently using it now, but we have used Math Mammoth much longer (grades 1-4), and I like that too. DS1 just prefers the presentation of Singapore, so he's using that for grades 4 and 5, then we'll use MM5/6 to fill in whatever else we need before doing the prealgebra portion of an algebra book.

I'm currently leaning toward Singapore 1 for DS2 next year, but he may do MM1. Or if he ends up needing a spiral curriculum, I'd use CLE. Just can't tell what he'll need yet. He's doing very well with Singapore EM K this year. We're into number bonds, and he uses C-rods to help him out. We're both enjoying this book.

I voted MM, since that is the bulk of our years from 1-6. We start with Horizons in first grade and somewhere in 2nd grade we segue into MM. I find that MM's first grade is difficult and somewhat confusing for my kids. Both dc had trouble with it, so I switched back to Horizons for them. With ds we did all of Horizons 2, then all of MM2 (we work math through the summer) and this year is just MM3. DD started MM1, had trouble, and is now happily plowing through Horizons I, but I will switch her to MM next year at some point. I like grades 2 and up much better.

I voted other. For each child it is a little different, but the basic breakdown is as follows:

K- Miquon, MEP, games, and lots of pre-math work,

1st- Miquon, MEP, games, and lots of fact work

2nd- Miquon, MEP, Math Mammoth, games, and fact work

3rd-6th- Saxon, Miquon, Math Mammoth,games, and fact work

We were all over the board in different grades, and for each kid.

My younger son did use MUS until he got to Zeta (we hated it at Zeta). My older DS used LoF exclusively in 7th grade for pre-algebra and did awesome in Algebra, but DS 2 didn't click with LoF as well. We used it for pre-algebra, but needed to supplement it.

We have mostly used RightStart so far, but DS10 moved on to Singapore 5 in September as there wasn't a suitable RightStart level. DS7 has been doing RS C, but was beginning to struggle at around Lesson 90, so we're now doing RS C at a slower pace, and supplementing it with Singapore 2, which he finds easier. DS4 is also doing RS A and Singapore EarlyBird at the same time. Math takes up most of the morning here :001_smile:.

Cassy

I voted Math Mammoth, and I do consider this my spine, but we use other resources for other purposes:

TT - for review and for independent work on Fridays (while I'm working)

Life of Fred - for joy, giggles, and fun, because she really likes it and it's fun snuggle on the couch reading. I also find that we learn something from almost every chapter, even if it isn't math . . . Sometimes all that gets her through that second or third page of MM is the promise of Fred at the end of Math time!

Kitchen Table Math - for ideas of how to present new material, more of a teacher resource I guess