Menu

Accidentally bought cabbage, now how to fix it

before it goes bad?

Tonight we're having Thai. Tomorrow is a green chili chicken casserole, then a beef stew.

I have 2 heads of green cabbage.

Stir fried with a bit of soy sauce and ginger and served on the side for Tai night.

Baked with a bit of salt, cream and butter then topped with cheddar. You'll essentially have two casseroles.

Add it shredded to the beef stew or make cole slaw for a side.

Stir fried with a bit of soy sauce and ginger and served on the side for Thai night.

Add it shredded to the beef stew or make cole slaw for a side.

:iagree: Both these ideas were what I thought of as well.

When did you buy it? Cabbage keeps in the fridge a long time.

Also, how does one accidentally buy cabbage?

:iagree: and :bigear:

"Cabbage Roll" soup.

Throw these in a pot, in whatever amounts pleases you:

Ground beef

Tomato Sauce or Paste

Chopped bell peppers

chopped onion

Shredded cabbage

cooked brown rice (put in last, after cabbage has cooked)

Salt pepper and garlic to taste.

I will usually cook the onions and peppers with the beef before draining and throwing it all in a pot. Cook until the cabbage is as soft as you like, then toss in the rice.

Shredded cabbage sauted with butter, salt and red pepper flakes is also delish.

Coleslaw

Stir Fry

Fry up about 1/2 lb of bacon, and drain off some of the grease (depending on how greasy it is). When the bacon is about 1/2 done, toss in a sliced onion, then when almost done toss in the chopped cabbage. I use one whole one. Cook about 35-40 minutes with a lid on. Some salt and pepper too.

Serve with cornbread. Would probably serve 6. :drool:

I also did a similar dish but instead of bacon I used ground beef (1/2 lb) fully cooked, with onion, and Worcestershire sauce dashed in. This time with crunchy french bread.

Cabbage is delicious and SUPER economical! The above dishes really help me stretch the meat budget.

Here's a bunch of recipes that are quite creative!

Roasted cabbage. You can google for specifics, but basically, cut cabbage through core into wedges. Drizzle with oil. Roast in oven. Top with balsamic vinegar if desired.

Frizzled cabbage. I don't know why the photo shows cole slaw; it's wrong. Cabbage is thinly sliced and sauteed in a bit of butter until browned. It's my family's favorite. And it's easy on the cook, as long as you don't heat it up too high.

When did you buy it? Cabbage keeps in the fridge a long time.

Also, how does one accidentally buy cabbage?

I really think someone put it in the place the lettuce goes. I know I checked it before I put it in the cart. Maybe I didn't check the one in my hand though.

Fry up about 1/2 lb of bacon, and drain off some of the grease (depending on how greasy it is). When the bacon is about 1/2 done, toss in a sliced onion, then when almost done toss in the chopped cabbage. I use one whole one. Cook about 35-40 minutes with a lid on. Some salt and pepper too.

:iagree: This is gooooood.

If you make this, you can also add some apple cider, pork chops (browned in the bacon grease before you put the cider and cabbage in) and apple slices. So yummy.

You could make a gratin. You can shred the cabbage and saute it, if you have carrots you could grate a couple and add, also onions or green onions would go well. When the veggies are soft, put them in a baking dish and pour an egg-milk-cheese combo over everything (It's about 1/2 cup of milk and 2 tbsp of cheese to one egg--this would be enough for about 3 cups of vegetables) and then grate some cheese to sprinkle on top and bake for around 25 mins.

I love it added to stew. Sounds wierd but it's delicious.

Here's another recipe I used to make when all my kiddoes were home.

Tarragon Hotdish ( one pot meal)

Brown 1 # hamburger with some onion

Add 2 cups water and 2 beef bouillon cube (I would use beef stock in the box these days..don't like bouillon)

1 cup rice

2 tsp tarragon

cook til the rice is done

Add 3 cups shredded cabbage

1 cup sour cream

1 cup monteray jack cheese

Cook a few more minutes til the cabbage is wilted and the cheese is melted.

Thinly sliced cabbage, onion, cilantro, julienne sliced carrots, lemon juice, and salt. My family loves it when I throw these ingredients together.

Here too! That salad is REALLY good on tacos. :)

My version has cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, oil and salt.

Edited by alpidarkomama

I stir fried it last night with soy sauce. All of it which looked like too much. The Thai stuff was a "roll-up" - marinated chicken in a tortilla with cream cheese. One dd had the thought to put the cabbage on the tortilla - it was awesome! All the cabbage is gone.

Thanks!