Menu

whatcha think of this?

Tonight, I got a text that said

I hid the body in the sewer by the park

I laughed and showed hubby and dd. I figured it was a prank.

Then I reply: K

The texter responds:

Remember don't tell anyone. Want to meet me over there later? ;)

Quite a bit later, I reply: Who I gonna tell?

No answer.

Anyway, so I think it is a prank.

However, *if* my family member was in a sewer by the park......

BTW, I drove by the police station after picking DS up from work.

Seems the police station is only open 8-5. I texted my friend that.

She responds, "that's reassuring." LOL

I figure this is not 911 worthy so we didn't push the button by the door.

Whatcha think?

I think it's probably a prank. Or an idiot murderer. :lol:

I would call the non-emergency police number because they might want to follow-up whether it is a prank or a murder.

Because I'm me, I would also get sucked into worrying that it really was a murder, which would cause obsessive (and maybe unrealistic) fear about my number being traceable somehow.

Lock your doors and windows and sleep with one eye open for a while. ;)

I would call the non emergency #, and tell them. It's nothing for them to do a quick check, and, heaven forbid, if something IS there, they would find it, and confiscate your phone so don't erase anything.

And keep us updated.

:iagree:

And if you are going to call, you should do it ASAP so they don't have time to move the body. :w00t:

:lol: (I hope...)

I would call the police. Even though it is likely a kid playing a prank, it is best to inform them. In the event that it is a really dumb criminal, which there are plenty of those, and he is caught, they would trace all his calls. They would be interrogating you, because your number would be on the criminal's phone records, as to where you were and alibis. Clearly you can prove you are innocent but why go through that ordeal. Better safe than being annoyed with it later.

I would call the police. Even though it is likely a kid playing a prank, it is best to inform them. In the event that it is a really dumb criminal, which there are plenty of those, and he is caught, they would trace all his calls. They would be interrogating you, because your number would be on the criminal's phone records, as to where you were and alibis. Clearly you can prove you are innocent but why go through that ordeal. Better safe than being annoyed with it later.

:iagree:

I would probably call the non-emergency number. If it's a prank, it's stupid. They might be able to trace the number and show the caller how stupid it is by making them spend the rest of the evening explaining themselves.

In the event it's not a prank, well, I would hope they were just nervous and pressed the wrong key because their hands were shaking. :glare::tongue_smilie: In that event they need to be hassled and arrested.

Tonight, I got a text that said

I laughed and showed hubby and dd. I figured it was a prank.

Then I reply: K

The texter responds:

Quite a bit later, I reply: Who I gonna tell?

No answer.

Anyway, so I think it is a prank.

However, *if* my family member was in a sewer by the park......

OK, Pamela, I have to ask you -- Why did you respond to a text from someone you didn't know?

Update:

DS found out person's cell phone carrier, name, and address.

Person texted back, "the cops" which I accidentally texted back, "LOL" because I thought it was my friend, not the murderer/prankster.

Okay, finding non-emergency number....but I probably have to wait til morning just cuz they aren't open. Why is our police station only open 8-5? LOL

Oh, Kristina, I most certainly have already worried they were going to track me down and kill me next.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Update:

DS found out person's cell phone carrier, name, and address.

Person texted back, "the cops" which I accidentally texted back, "LOL" because I thought it was my friend, not the murderer/prankster.

Okay, finding non-emergency number....but I probably have to wait til morning just cuz they aren't open. Why is our police station only open 8-5? LOL

Oh, Kristina, I most certainly have already worried they were going to track me down and kill me next.

This is cool. You're like a Homeschooling Private Eye. :D

Let me know when it's time for the Big Car Chase. I'd like to ride along.

Uh, yeah, except if she can get all that info about the perp, what's to say he can't get all that info about her? :001_huh:

Kristina, I would prefer if you didn't have me killed off by morning! LOL

Me too, Pamela! :lol:

Texter says, "hahaha who is this?"

I responded, "some old lady in the metroplex"

DS ran his own phone. It says my name, that it's a landline, and that we use a carrier we don't use. No address. Only says we're in central time zone.

That's good news. :)

BTW, I *so* needed this sillyness and "private eyeing" in a way.

I have been down for a few days, overwhelmed, tired.

The texts have gotten silly now. Hopefully that is more proof of a prank, not murder. I have re-texted everythign to a friend with commentary so if I end up dead....

I'm so thankful for a laugh or two...seriously.

Seems the police station is only open 8-5.

This is good information to have, in case you're planning a big heist or something. Definitely do it at night, which is more practical anyway, because your Evil Minions won't even have to take the day off from work on the day of the crime.

Do you have to pay your accomplices time-and-a-half for working after 5pm, or is it considered more of a "graveyard shift" kind of thing and they just get their regular salary?

Just wondering. It's not like I'm planning anything.

And yes. That is the story I'll be sticking to.

I thought maybe I could get some more information? to prove it was a prank or murder?

Ooooh, girl!

You trying to be like a Jane Marple or Stephanie Plum???? ;)

Um, I think letting the officer at the non-emergency # know what was texted. Most likely it was a 21st century version of crank calls like we did as kiddos. But the thunderhead behind it forgot texts nowadays can be traced.

So, like I said, the texts got funny.

I did mention, "so you're in ______ (town nearby)" He claimed no.

I said, "Oh, I thought you lived on XYZ street." He said no and told me another (well-known) street.

I figured that he probably *did* have that address at some point, if not now and that he probably will think twice before he kills someone and texts a wrong number :)

Well if they're going out of their way to be funny, I would think the opposite, that they've realized they texted the wrong person and want to throw you and the police off the trail. Egads!

For real? I'm surprised that anyone is taking this seriously. My first thought if it isn't just a prank was that it's related to a role playing game of some kind. It's not unusual at all for my BIL to text my DH and tell him to meet him in such and such a place, which exists only in the virtual world where they're currently playing.

Edited by WordGirl

Word, Oh, I never thought of that. That kinda makes sense.

My kids text each other things like that all the time.

Okay, first guess was prank

Second was murderer who texted the wrong number

Third that it was a prank

Fourth that Trish is right that they are just trying to joke out of it

Fifth that it was a prank

:)

Well if they're going out of their way to be funny, I would think the opposite, that they've realized they texted the wrong person and want to throw you and the police off the trail. Egads!

No, they should have just thrown away the phone.

Pamela you are dealing with pranksters or idiot criminals.

Guest submarines
For real? I'm surprised that anyone is taking this seriously. My first thought if it isn't just a prank was that it's related to a role playing game of some kind. It's not unusual at all for my BIL to text my DH and tell him to meet him in such and such a place, which exists only in the virtual world where they're currently playing.

:iagree:My first thought was that it was a wrong number, and the "body in the sewer" was an inside joke / code word between friends / family.

It wouldn't occur to me to call police. :confused:

Well maybe. But why wouldn't they milk it further, since she sent a response? Why wait a few hours and then ask who this is?

I won't be happy until,

A) the body is found, or

B) the police say either they'll follow up, or that this happens all the time, just ignore it.