Menu

Your most radical frugal/simple living tips

All ideas wanted- assuming they are legal and moral :)

We already keep a pretty tight budget as I just think it is good to live simply and we are saving for some financial goals however we need to take it up a notch. Dh received word yesterday that he is to be off every Friday for the next 3 months. I'd like to keep up our saving during this time but this obviously means we have to cut elsewhere.

As it is we do all the basic and some not so basic things. I make my own cleaners. Buy in massive bulk on whatever possible. Cook from scratch. Use cloth napkins, rags, menstrual products.

Our bills are:

house

gas(we already try to keep trips down and dh bought a 94 Civic last year and saves 50% on gas using it instead of the truck)

electricity

phone/ld/dsl(this is our splurge but at $63 a month I feel it is reasonable as we do everything online and I talk a TON on the phone- don't use a cell)

car insurance

netflix $8

I've been working harder on cutting electricity usage the past several months as well. I've brought my average down by $25 a month(I'm on budget billing some months it is just been a small decrease and others our usage was down up to 40%). I've been trying to make sure I *almost* always line dry. Conserving on using hotwater and water in general. Trying to do baking together, using the crockpot. I feel pretty adept on grocery savings, although I can always improve. We are gluten,dairy,soy free, grain lite and sugar /preservative/dye free so that limits things but with bulk buying and from scratch cooking I think I do a fair job. I'm trying to do more meal stretching and being strict about waste- fruit is the worst with the kids on wastage.

Anyway- I think those are the basic things we do. I want to hear about the not so basic things you do to see what I'm not thinking about. Ways you cut electricity usage. Ways to stretch things even more. Unconventional ideas.

Edited by soror

I started making my own laundry soap. Not only is it the best laundry detergent I have ever, ever used, it makes a HUGE batch, and it incredibly cheap. Here is the link http://feliciaawilliams.suite101.com/washing-clothes-for-pennies-a21874 and not to mention very easy. I use costco brand soap.

for christmas I made a huge batch and put it into quart jars and attached the recipe to it.

To help with fruit wastage with young / fussy kids, I liked to cut up the fruit into smaller pieces. Often times an apple would easily be a snack for all 3 of my dc when they were primary school age. Any fruit not eaten can be stewed for dessert, put in tarts, grated into muffins, etc.

Grate cheese & carrots for sandwiches & salads. This makes a little go a lot further without making you feel that you are skimping.

Some almost free meals for us are:

"clean-out-the-fridge" soup

stir-fried rice

homemade pizza topped with left-overs

toasted sandwiches (like grilled cheese) filled with left-overs

A fun lunch for littlies (& bigger kids, too ;) ) Make a homemade "lunchable" by putting little bits of this & that into a cupcake pan or similar divided dish. This makes good use of all those little bits. An icecube tray could possibly work as well for fruit or veggie sticks, dip, cheese cut into sticks, etc.

HTH,

When I was a child, my mother would make meat stretch for two meals, if she was having a roast chook ( chicken) she would carefully roast it, keep all pan juices, and calve up the chook leaving all bones unsaved, then make chicken soup from the bones and pan juice. It wasn't very meaty soup, but did us for another meal. You can do this with chop bones as well.

Look into changing the W-4 so that less tax is withheld from each paycheck. You can be earning interest on that money instead of lending it to the government for free.

Not sure how much laundry you do, but I find that many people do a lot more than is really necessary. Bedding, pjs, towels, jeans, etc. - give some thought to whether it's feasible to hang them up and re-use them more than you currently do.

Another area to save if you have kids in diapers is to start (or finish) potty training earlier than the popular norm. Even for kids unready to be independent, cutting down the diapers by half (say) is significant, especially if you use disposables.

Don't buy any edibles that aren't actual "food" (or vitamins). Nobody needs treats, juices, soda, alcohol, and the like; treats are nice, but they are even nicer if they are rare.

Drive about 55mph whenever feasible. It saves a LOT of gas compared to driving either faster or slower.

Car insurance: have you looked up Geico.com? It saved me a lot of money. Warning, though - if you switch in the middle of your current policy, your current insurer may charge you a penalty, so look into that first.

As far as electricity, it sounds like you are already looking out for savings. Aside from the obvious (turn lights off when you leave, etc.), here are some ideas. Don't leave computers on all night - that eats a lot of energy. Don't leave electronics on but dormant (e.g., the LED is on and it's ready to go once you push "play"); turn them all the way off when not in use. During the day, use natural light where possible. For example, I work in front of a window and don't use electric light until the sun goes down. Use the lowest energy light bulbs that still give sufficient light to complete your tasks, and if you have light fixtures/lamps with multiple bulbs, consider replacing only some of the bulbs the next time they burn out.

I started making my own laundry soap.

I've been doing this as well. I do need to try homemade dishwasher soap again though- thanks for the reminder!

wow!

I don't have any tips...just super impressed! WTG!!

thanks!

To help with fruit wastage with young / fussy kids, I liked to cut up the fruit into smaller pieces. Often times an apple would easily be a snack for all 3 of my dc when they were primary school age. Any fruit not eaten can be stewed for dessert, put in tarts, grated into muffins, etc.

Grate cheese & carrots for sandwiches & salads. This makes a little go a lot further without making you feel that you are skimping.

Some almost free meals for us are:

"clean-out-the-fridge" soup

stir-fried rice

homemade pizza topped with left-overs

toasted sandwiches (like grilled cheese) filled with left-overs

A fun lunch for littlies (& bigger kids, too ;) ) Make a homemade "lunchable" by putting little bits of this & that into a cupcake pan or similar divided dish. This makes good use of all those little bits. An icecube tray could possibly work as well for fruit or veggie sticks, dip, cheese cut into sticks, etc.

HTH,

Good tips! The kids would love those kind of meals!

When I was a child, my mother would make meat stretch for two meals, if she was having a roast chook ( chicken) she would carefully roast it, keep all pan juices, and calve up the chook leaving all bones unsaved, then make chicken soup from the bones and pan juice. It wasn't very meaty soup, but did us for another meal. You can do this with chop bones as well.
I need to stretch meat more. I usually get about 2 meals out of a chicken, maybe I could make it to 3.

Look into changing the W-4 so that less tax is withheld from each paycheck. You can be earning interest on that money instead of lending it to the government for free.

Not sure how much laundry you do, but I find that many people do a lot more than is really necessary. Bedding, pjs, towels, jeans, etc. - give some thought to whether it's feasible to hang them up and re-use them more than you currently do.

I think we do pretty good here. I won't say how many days ds wears the same pjs. We reuse towels and other clothes as well. I need to examine that more closely with my daughter though, she is more of a problem

Another area to save if you have kids in diapers is to start (or finish) potty training earlier than the popular norm. Even for kids unready to be independent, cutting down the diapers by half (say) is significant, especially if you use disposables.

I pt'd dd at 18 months and used cd's with all of them- definitely a huge savings!!!

Don't buy any edibles that aren't actual "food" (or vitamins). Nobody needs treats, juices, soda, alcohol, and the like; treats are nice, but they are even nicer if they are rare.

Yes, I'd been buying some treats here and there- but have cut it out again it can add up fast. I'm still deciding if some chocolate is medicinal :)

Drive about 55mph whenever feasible. It saves a LOT of gas compared to driving either faster or slower.

Good reminder- I've not been watching as closely on my driving habits lately.

Car insurance: have you looked up Geico.com? It saved me a lot of money. Warning, though - if you switch in the middle of your current policy, your current insurer may charge you a penalty, so look into that first.

As far as electricity, it sounds like you are already looking out for savings. Aside from the obvious (turn lights off when you leave, etc.), here are some ideas. Don't leave computers on all night - that eats a lot of energy. Don't leave electronics on but dormant (e.g., the LED is on and it's ready to go once you push "play"); turn them all the way off when not in use. During the day, use natural light where possible. For example, I work in front of a window and don't use electric light until the sun goes down. Use the lowest energy light bulbs that still give sufficient light to complete your tasks, and if you have light fixtures/lamps with multiple bulbs, consider replacing only some of the bulbs the next time they burn out.

I go back and forth on the electronics. I like to get on the computer whenever I want but I know it saves time and energy to keep it completely off. We are pretty good about lights but I think can still improve.

Oh another thing my mother did was add rolled oats to the evening meal, they are a bulky and fill up hungry tummies. She put them in hamburger patties, casseroles, and stews.
We don't do oats but I could add lentils and other beans for filler more.

Have you read the Tightwad Gazette?
I have but it has been a while I need to check it out again, tons of crazy tips in there!

I think you are doing great. Way to go.

I don't have much specific help in the grocery dep't since I'm not up on food allergies. However, have you considered serving you and dh less? This is assuming that neither of you have any special health concerns that would make this dangerous. We did this during a rough financial patch and it saved a surprising amount of money. I made a regular (frugal) meal and served everyone. Dh and I both got a slightly smaller serving than usual and then I put all leftovers in the fridge. Kids were allowed to get more, though usually did not. Dh and I could get more if we were really hungry but usually just having to take the extra steps of taking it out, reheating, etc. stopped us. We ended up having enough leftovers that we didn't have to make any lunches for anyone the whole week. We also go close to vegetarian when we need to save a little more - lots o' cheap beans, lentils, etc. You could also use TVP as filler to stretch meals (or not. I have no idea if TVP has gluten or any other allergens for you.)

Does your dh take a lunch to work? That's an easy place to save if he doesn't.

Can you pick up extra money elsewhere? If he has Fridays off, could he do some handyman help or something else like that? Obviously is less immediate, but it could be something to look into. You or he could also see about picking up a housekeeping/organizing job. Some people only want someone to come in and thoroughly clean for them and can't afford a monthly cleaning service. You could offer that through your community. (What a great Valentine's present that would be!) Radical thought - you could start a Friday "mom's morning out" in your neighborhood. DH would be there for the first 3 months while you see what it is like and you can stop after those 3 months if it's awful. With any of these jobs, I'd start in your own network - house of worship, neighborhood, etc. Places where some people already know you and could vouch for you.

We put that hideous shrink wrap plastic on our windows in the winter.

I can't quote specific savings b/c our rates have changed multiple times, but the house definitely feels warmer and less drafty. I'll have to try to look up our usage numbers later.

The way our house is set up, I almost never turn the heat on upstairs. (It's just the master suite, and our main vaulted ceiling directs the heat right into it.)

Our electric bill is our biggest nemesis. I'm dreaming about an instant hot water heater.

Since it is winter and we live in New England, winter heating in on my mind.

What type of heat/hot water do you have? We have an oil-burning boiler for both heat/hot water. But this suggestion would work for any type heat.

There are six in the family (the youngest is 11) and an old (1870) house.

A programmable thermostat is wonderful. It is set for 63F from 5AM-11PM, then for 58F from 11PM to 5AM.

So need need to remember to turn the heat up or down. This has reduced our oil use significantly.

But we have always kept the temp. low in all our places of residence every since we were married. Even when the kids starting arriving, we kept the temperature similar to those ranges. It we are chilly we put on another layer or make some hot tea. No problem.

Actually my kids walk around barefoot with short sleeve shirts on!

What type of heat/hot water do you have? We have an oil-burning boiler for both heat/hot water. But this suggestion would work for any type heat.

There are six in the family (the youngest is 11) and an old (1870) house.

A programmable thermostat is wonderful. It is set for 63F from 5AM-11PM, then for 58F from 11PM to 5AM.

So need need to remember to turn the heat up or down. This has reduced our oil use significantly.

But we have always kept the temp. low in all our places of residence every since we were married. Even when the kids starting arriving, we kept the temperature similar to those ranges. It we are chilly we put on another layer or make some hot tea. No problem.

Actually my kids walk around barefoot with short sleeve shirts on!

Wow, I am impressed. That seems mightly chilly to me.

I cut our electricity by line drying most things. I also wash all the clothes on the same day. The items that do go in the dryer sit in there until all the loads are done and then I run the dryer once instead of after each load. I also wash everything in cold water.

Look for those energy trickles. Unplug appliances that are not being used. Make sure there are no chargers plugged in not charging anything. My dh constantly leaves charges plugged in.

Once a week I have scavenger night for dinner. The kids can go use whatever they find in the fridge/pantry and make themselves dinner. I find this helps use up what we have rather than it going to waste.

Re: Entertainment, if you live near a college look into its events. We live 10 minutes from two colleges and they often have free sporting events, lectures and events. If it is a smaller college, call the athletic coach directly and ask if they give out free tickets. At the lower tier programs, they are not making a lot of money off of the tickets like the big programs and they like to get more fans in the stands. Even if you are not a big sports fan, there is something fun about going to cheer on a team with your family.

I think you are doing great. Way to go.

I don't have much specific help in the grocery dep't since I'm not up on food allergies. However, have you considered serving you and dh less?

Does your dh take a lunch to work? That's an easy place to save if he doesn't.

Can you pick up extra money elsewhere?

Oh, good ideas. I do already portion out servings. I try to do smaller servings of more expensive foods(like our good meat) and have unlimited amts on veggies. It is something to keep in mind. I don't have much weight to lose but dh does have some extra, although I try to make sure he doesn't go hungry either. I do need to stretch more. I have to watch what to stretch with w/ the food intolerances and the fact that grains are the best for me. He does take his lunch, leftovers every day, he is good about that.

I was thinking about extra work or such. I'm undecided about this but those are great ideas, thanks for the brainstorming. I was trying to think of things myself that I could reasonably do. My brother does construction and it might be an option for dh to work for him, which I didn't think about. I don't know how dh would feel about it though.

We put that hideous shrink wrap plastic on our windows in the winter.

I was reading some about this can you tell me some more? I have thermal curtains and blinds on most of the curtains and try to shut them up at night and open to day in the sun but I wonder how much that film would help. I know we need to put new seals on the door, that was supposed to be done this fall but was inadvertently pushed to next fall.

!

You are a better woman than me ! We have ours set at 65-68 during the day(warmer on the weekend when dh is home and 62-64 at night. I'm working on adjusting it now. I've taken to wearing a sweater all the time and am comfy. So far we've been lucky as the weather has been mild, a few days last week we didn't run the heat at all.

Yes, this. This book changed the way I think about providing for our needs and wants. It taught me how to think through financial decisions.
Yes, I love that book, in case you ever think you are frugal you can read that see what else you could be doing!

Call and ask what the insurance can do for you.

In home energy, you could audit the house and make the appropriate changes. The next step is to switch to a heating system that costs less..most folks around here have switched away from heating oil and are burning wood. Don't heat the bedrooms. After that, replace the refrigerator if it is cost effective (if it is ten years old it will be cost effective). Take a close look at the water heater and see what can be done to lower the cost - either less usage or a more efficient system.

Transporation is easy..stay home. If the grocery store is on the way home from work, do the grocery shopping then instead of making a seperate trip. Same for library. Everything else is walk or bike.

Definitely one of you pick up a side job for Friday or Sat.

We have electric heat and a heat pump, which is energy efficient and the super duper insulation. Our cost to heat for the year is about $300-$600, I've talked to dh about wood heat but it would take years for a payoff so it is low on our list of things to change. We have newer(4.5yo) appliances that are all energy efficient, so good there. The windows and doors though are the biggest problems though. We should have went for more expensive ones.

I've been enjoying staying home after a busy December. I was figuring how much gas I could save by just doing Sat church and Mon night Boy Scouts and skipping co-op. As it is I think we will go 1x a month. We already do grocery shopping Sat after church, that is just for everyone's sanity :)

I do need to reexamine insurance again.

I cut our electricity by line drying most things. I also wash all the clothes on the same day. The items that do go in the dryer sit in there until all the loads are done and then I run the dryer once instead of after each load. I also wash everything in cold water.

Look for those energy trickles. Unplug appliances that are not being used. Make sure there are no chargers plugged in not charging anything. My dh constantly leaves charges plugged in.

Once a week I have scavenger night for dinner. The kids can go use whatever they find in the fridge/pantry and make themselves dinner. I find this helps use up what we have rather than it going to waste.

Dh is always leaving in his charger as well. OH, I need to be watching ds w/ his new Nintendo- thanks for the reminder. I try to do leftover night once a week but we've been using all our leftovers during the week. I need to be more mindful of watching and stretching everything though.

I am linedrying most of the time but I generally just do a load every few days as my washer has a super capacity and that is all I can fit on the line at a time. I do wash in cold water as well.

Check out the Hillbilly Housewife. I have learned many frugal tips there (especially stretching food).

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

Thanks! I haven't looked at that site in ages, I'm sure she'll have some tips! Edited by soror

Lots of my favorite tips are already on this thread. One more, adopt an "it can wait" attitude. It won't make huge savings but it does erode down the spending just a little. The "less on the plate" is one way to do this (mentioned by PP).

Here are some others:

1) Hang up clothes that can get one more wear (I know, I have a teenage boy -- it doesn't always work). Be sure things get washed now and then though! If you have a little girl that changes her outfit, just for fun, three times a day and puts the worn-two-hour clothes in the laundry, then this might help. Wash clothes when they need it or before storing for the season (if you store...)

2) Wash the bed linens and bath towels a lot less often. Each wash takes water and detergent. I have a daughter with acne so she changes her pillowcase nightly (got a bunch of pillowcases for a quarter each at the thrift store -- some are ugly). The sheets, however, can go longer.

4) See if you can wait another day before grocery shopping, bathroom cleaning etc. Often you can pull together one more meal from the pantry. If you cut out 10 bathroom cleanings in a year, you've saved a lot of cleaner (even if its homemade) and "earned" 10 cleanings for the next year!

5) Use the backside of papers for shopping lists and memos. Reuse paper.

You can also fine your kids for leaving lights (or music) on, wearing socks outside (destroying them), etc. I have a friend who fined her son for a tooth cavity (he hated brushing so it was more than "bad genetics" that caused the decay).

Re: Entertainment, if you live near a college look into its events. We live 10 minutes from two colleges and they often have free sporting events, lectures and events. If it is a smaller college, call the athletic coach directly and ask if they give out free tickets. At the lower tier programs, they are not making a lot of money off of the tickets like the big programs and they like to get more fans in the stands. Even if you are not a big sports fan, there is something fun about going to cheer on a team with your family.

Neat idea. Our entertainment has generally been free events, enjoying State parks and I win tickets on the radio. They give out tickets all the time and I can win once a month, I won 4x this fall. It is amazing how many free events there are around!

When we were on a super-tight budget, we used the library for entertainment and even internet. These days it might affect your phone service if you get voice over IP, though, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

If you have a library close by, you could use get movies there instead of netflix. Eight bucks is not much but as long as the library trip does not make you splurge on gas and the movies go back on time, it may be a little bit of savings.

We wash all of our laundry with cold water, I cut my dc and dh hair, and try to consolidate errands so that one outing will take care of all of them and thereby cutting down on gas costs. We also have a small garden and we try to can as much as we can.

Not sure if this helps you, but sometimes lots of little things can add up. :tongue_smilie:

Lots of my favorite tips are already on this thread. One more, adopt an "it can wait" attitude. It won't make huge savings but it does erode down the spending just a little. The "less on the plate" is one way to do this (mentioned by PP).

Here are some others:

1) Hang up clothes that can get one more wear (I know, I have a teenage boy -- it doesn't always work). Be sure things get washed now and then though! If you have a little girl that changes her outfit, just for fun, three times a day and puts the worn-two-hour clothes in the laundry, then this might help. Wash clothes when they need it or before storing for the season (if you store...)

2) Wash the bed linens and bath towels a lot less often. Each wash takes water and detergent. I have a daughter with acne so she changes her pillowcase nightly (got a bunch of pillowcases for a quarter each at the thrift store -- some are ugly). The sheets, however, can go longer.

4) See if you can wait another day before grocery shopping, bathroom cleaning etc. Often you can pull together one more meal from the pantry. If you cut out 10 bathroom cleanings in a year, you've saved a lot of cleaner (even if its homemade) and "earned" 10 cleanings for the next year!

5) Use the backside of papers for shopping lists and memos. Reuse paper.

You can also fine your kids for leaving lights (or music) on, wearing socks outside (destroying them), etc. I have a friend who fined her son for a tooth cavity (he hated brushing so it was more than "bad genetics" that caused the decay).

Oh, I like your thinking! My dear kids would love it to cut the cleaning :)

Good thoughts on the clothes, as I said earlier dd1 can be bad with changing, thankfully she is getting much better. Often I've thrown the clothes back in the drawer. I think I stretch the sheets and the towels as long as is good. I'd guess the towels get washed about once a week and the sheets, when I think of it, ds maybe once a month and dd and ours every other week I'd guess. I rehang most of our clothes, except the baby and the kids play clothes, or if they get something on them. I go by the rule that as long as it smells fresh and there are no spots it is safe to rehang :)

I do need to conserve paper better. Dd1 just loves paper and is always using it. If nothing else I need to give scrap paper to her to keep her from using new stuff. I need something to store the partially used paper though as I keep it to the side and if it isn't used soon I get tired of looking at it.

When we were on a super-tight budget, we used the library for entertainment and even internet. These days it might affect your phone service if you get voice over IP, though, so I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

If you have a library close by, you could use get movies there instead of netflix. Eight bucks is not much but as long as the library trip does not make you splurge on gas and the movies go back on time, it may be a little bit of savings.

We wash all of our laundry with cold water, I cut my dc and dh hair, and try to consolidate errands so that one outing will take care of all of them and thereby cutting down on gas costs. We also have a small garden and we try to can as much as we can.

Not sure if this helps you, but sometimes lots of little things can add up. :tongue_smilie:

I was considering maybe dropping Netflix for a bit. We bought a Prime membership last year so we have some free streaming with them. We have done everyone's haircut at home except mine, however I haven't had one in 10 months. I've gave myself a trim a few times though and have actually really been liking my hair so I was thinking I'd save the money and keep doing it myself. Perhaps real hairdressers are looking at my hair and thinking it looks crazy though :) I have crazy thick and long hair though so it helps.

I do hope the garden does good this year, it is on the plans, one can hope!

Make a price book, which is a notebook listing the prices of grocery items that your family tends to purchase and use. Indicate the regular price from each of your favorite grocery stores (just use receipts; no need to walk through the store recording prices unless you want to).

When sales flyers go out, prepare your menu based on good deals from the various flyers. Shop at different stores if necessary. The price book will help you determine if something is a good deal. For example, if the sale item is 8 for $10.00 is that really better than the normal price? Make your menu for the month or at least for two weeks. If chicken is on sale, freeze chicken for a dinner on the next week. Keep track of what is in the freezer and label/date things well. Having a menu keeps you from having to make multiple trips to the grocery store, which usually result in the purchase on unintended items.

I make my own liquid laundry detergent and liquid handwashing dish detergent. I usually keep a small bottle of Dawn around for greasy dishes/pots, but I dilute it.

Along the lines of making things stretch, when we're pinching pennies, I wash my hair a lot less. I have very long hair, and love the feel of freshly washed, clean hair, but because I have so much hair, it takes a lot of shampoo and coniditoner to get it clean and sparkly.

It's amazing how much longer a few bottles of shampoo and conditioner last when you only wash your hair about every three days. And I don't really notice it. I wear my hair down the day it's freshly washed, and then in ponies or buns the other two days.

Also, if you haven't already, switch to bar soap instead of liquid soap for washing the rest of the body in the bath or shower. You'll go through so much less soap, and feel just as squeaky clean.

sorry about him losing the fridays. that's tough!

some things that have helped us:

carpooling:

wherever we've lived before here, we've used carpooling. here, we're rural, and even so we manage to carpool sometimes, just with me driving a few miles to meet the carpool. so you might be able to carpool to co-op and church? or dh to work? (at least you'll be saving gas money on fridays!). carpooling even one day a week to work saves 20% of commute gas costs! more extreme is car sharing. we had a great experience with that. others have had it work well and not well....

programmable thermostats: we love ours! we find it easier to set it down more at night than to go below 65 in the daytime.... i get grumpy even with a sweater! but.... we do program it to go down when we are out fo the house, and to warm back up for when we get home. we have a heat pump, too, and love it. we don't use electric heat due to cost....

meat: 4 ounces per person per day max. and flylady has a good system for making a chicken last three meals. we've adapted it a bit. we do one roast chicken night, one chicken nacho or taco or stuffed pasta night, and one soup night.

cooking: if our oven is on, we cook more than one thing.

things we drink: water, tea, coffee..... and a bit of wine.

:grouphug::grouphug: good luck!

ann

Oh another thing my mother did was add rolled oats to the evening meal, they are a bulky and fill up hungry tummies. She put them in hamburger patties, casseroles, and stews.

Red lentils are good for this too. I add them to meatballs and meatloaf, and also make lentil burgers with them.

Salvage grocery stores are great for finding "nice" things on a budget. I buy Starbucks coffee for $2 a bag there. Large bottles of Bertolli olive oil for $2 on sale there recently, too.

Meat is a very small part of our meals, as much as possible. Whatever meat I cook is usually found marked down. Look for any produce that is on sale, or that is on a markdown table. Make a large platter of roasted veggies and a pot of rice for a nutritious meal.

Find and make regular visits to your local thrift shops. I would say that about 90% of our clothes come from the thrift shop. I recently found a like-new North Face Jacket for $3, and Columbia shirts for $2. Today I'm wearing an LL Bean fleece jacket, on sale at the thrift for $2. I even buy all of my shoes there. I simply take them home and wash or spray with Lysol and let them air out in the sunshine. They are already "broken in", and much more comfortable than new shoes. I've bought Nike, Reebok, New Balance, Adidas, Merrell, Crocs, Teva, Birkenstock, to name a few brands. Last summer, all sandals were on sale for 50 cents, including Birks. Needless to say, I grabbed a few pair at that price. :D

Use your kitchen scraps to boost your soil for gardening. Save seeds or swap seeds with others who garden. Reuse newspapers for lining garden beds. Use the free and readily available bags of leaves and pine straw as mulch for your garden. These seem to be everywhere along street curbs this time of year.

2 books for you:

The Complete Tightwad Gazette

Your Money Or Your Life

Forgot to add this in my post.

I have two of the Tightwad Gazette books, and enjoy reading through them often. There are so many ideas found in those.

Another thought---

Except for a new set of cooking pots and pans (which I bought on sale), all of my dinnerware is from the thrift. I've been replacing anything I already owned (made in China) with vintage "made in the USA" dishes. I find them for anywhere from 10 cents to 50 cents for cups, plates, saucers, and bowls. I even found linens for the table during the holidays on the cheap there---tablecloths and place mats.

I decorated my entire home this Christmas, and very nicely if I say so myself, with finds from the thrift store. It is possible to live cheaply and also enjoy beauty for less money. Once you get started, it gets much easier.

Best wishes to you on your journey for a thrifty life!

Make a price book, which is a notebook listing the prices of grocery items that your family tends to purchase and use. Indicate the regular price from each of your favorite grocery stores (just use receipts; no need to walk through the store recording prices unless you want to).

I make my own liquid laundry detergent and liquid handwashing dish detergent. I usually keep a small bottle of Dawn around for greasy dishes/pots, but I dilute it.

Recipe for liquid hand soap? I'm currently using Biokleen from Azure I bought 1 gal for $12 and it is still about 1/5 full after 15 months. I thought that was pretty decent for good soap- but homemade is even cheaper.

I do have a good idea on prices most things we buy are bulk or produce. I've been trying to get deals on Azure for seconds and buying the rest from Aldi's.

Along the lines of making things stretch, when we're pinching pennies, I wash my hair a lot less. I have very long hair, and love the feel of freshly washed, clean hair, but because I have so much hair, it takes a lot of shampoo and coniditoner to get it clean and sparkly.

It's amazing how much longer a few bottles of shampoo and conditioner last when you only wash your hair about every three days. And I don't really notice it. I wear my hair down the day it's freshly washed, and then in ponies or buns the other two days.

Also, if you haven't already, switch to bar soap instead of liquid soap for washing the rest of the body in the bath or shower. You'll go through so much less soap, and feel just as squeaky clean.

I do my hair about 1x a week and it does fine. I used to do no poo but the last few times it hasn't went well. Maybe I should try again! We have bar soap but we don't use it much, mostly just scrubbing. We've cut back on baths in general though as I've realized hot water and hot air is the 2 biggest expenses. The girls and I have been bathing together and then ds right after us(that way I don't feel so bad about filling up the big tub).

You may already do this, but I always use my printer on "draft" setting to save on ink. It looks just fine. I also try to print on both sides when possible.

I need to remember to do that. I had it set on draft but think it got changed for some reason, I'll check it.

2 books for you:

The Complete Tightwad Gazette

Your Money Or Your Life

I love both of those books. I'm rereading a old fav right now as well- Happy are You Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom. I love the crazy tips from TCTG but love the thoughts behind Your Money or Your Life part of my push for savings and such is that I have a dream of dh being able to retire early.

sorry about him losing the fridays. that's tough!

some things that have helped us:

carpooling:

wherever we've lived before here, we've used carpooling.

programmable thermostats:

meat: 4 ounces per person per day max. and flylady has a good system for making a chicken last three meals. we've adapted it a bit. we do one roast chicken night, one chicken nacho or taco or stuffed pasta night, and one soup night.

cooking: if our oven is on, we cook more than one thing.

things we drink: water, tea, coffee..... and a bit of wine.

:grouphug::grouphug: good luck!

ann

We live rurally as well, I don't think there is anyone local dh could carpool with, in fact I'm pretty sure and his hrs are variable to a degree. We live away from church as well!

I need to be stretching meat more as well, I do better higher protein though so it is a challenge to balance that out and make it with carbs that work for me.

I try to cook multiple things at once but I have room for improvement. Last night I popped in our muffins for bfast after supper was done, I need to remember to do that on muffin day. It is nice to have it ready as well and keep the kitchen mess to one time. Something I experiment as well is turning off the stove or oven a bit before the food is actually done and using residual heat to finish cooking- like w/ rice or most anything else.

We do tea, and herbal tea and homemade juice sometimes.

Red lentils are good for this too. I add them to meatballs and meatloaf, and also make lentil burgers with them.

Salvage grocery stores are great for finding "nice" things on a budget.

Meat is a very small part of our meals, as much as possible. Whatever meat I cook is usually found marked down. Look for any produce that is on sale, or that is on a markdown table. Make a large platter of roasted veggies and a pot of rice for a nutritious meal.

Find and make regular visits to your local thrift shops.

Use your kitchen scraps to boost your soil for gardening. Save seeds or swap seeds with others who garden. Reuse newspapers for lining garden beds. Use the free and readily available bags of leaves and pine straw as mulch for your garden. These seem to be everywhere along street curbs this time of year.

Good tips!!! Can you send me some your shoe finds!!! I searched for 2 years before I found a pair of brown shoes in my size! I do have good luck with clothes though. We are all good right now, so I'm trying to stay out so I don't find anything I *need*. I do need to start lists for what the kids need for yardsale season this year.

I haven't visited the Salvage stores in a while, need to check them out. It seems the last few times I wasn't finding as good as deals as used to and I have to watch that I don't end up spending money on that I shouldn't buy anyway!

I haven't visited the Salvage stores in a while, need to check them out. It seems the last few times I wasn't finding as good as deals as used to and I have to watch that I don't end up spending money on that I shouldn't buy anyway!

Just for the info, here is the link to an article in Time with many of the salvage stores listed. This might be helpful in finding one in your area.

One more thing I thought about is this. In the summer, I re-use bath water for watering the garden. I know that sounds a little "out there" (but the OP did ask for radical), and it seems so wasteful to let it all go down the drain. I had an a-ha! moment one day, and have since been using this watering trick with great success. Another source for recycling of water is the rinse water from dish washing, any leftover coffee too. The coffee grounds get buried in the garden with the rest of the kitchen waste (egg shells, veggie peelings, leftover cake, bread, fruit peels, etc.). Oh, don't forget about reusing water that potatoes, veggies, or pasta has been boiled in. It also is used to water the garden or indoor plants.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

My best friend and I were discussing this just yesterday! Both of us-- homeschooling moms, one income families, with BOTH of our husbands facing the possibility of job loss/change...

We both realized that OUR men have trouble with the concept of LOSING "comfort".

They're ok with giving up vacations (havent had one in 10 years), minimal eating out, used clothing/shoes for the kids, not having new cars, not having the cool toys (ipads, expensive computers, etc...) no excessive drinking/bars, etc...

BUT-- Them giving up their sodas (they don't drink coffee), or her husband's cigarrettes, or both of them giving up their Cable TV TOTALLY freaks them out. Also, telling our men to have less meat. wow, don't go there with them! LOL

They work hard, don't party or spend money like crazy fools, but giving up the things that make them comfortable, that they feel they deserve-- is very hard for them.

Ok, so the goal (for us) is to be frugal without making the men feel like they are losing what they love.

How to get CREATIVE when making every penny stretch, yet making the men feel like they were not being deprived...

I'm not sure what that is... still trying to figure it out.

I've just noticed that he has a hard time giving up "comforts" like cable tv, dr peppers and meat at every meal. LOL He's even admitted that giving those up means he's going backwards and not forwards in life...

To save money, we have done the common things but try not to affect hubby's "COMFORT LEVEL"--

I make alot fo things from scratch. Could do better at it, but I'm still learning. **hubby has complained because now it takes "work" for him to figure out and to make snacks. He'll have to get over that one. LOL

I try to conserve energy

I give the boys/dogs haircuts, do the yardwork myself -- ok kids help. LOL

stay home during the week as much as possible. The more I go "out', the more I spend.

Try to use leftover for lunches. I'm not that great a cook, so some meals just aren't GOOD enough to eat again. LOL But I'm trying.

Used clothing (kids resale shops) as much as possible.

I used to do coupons, but it got too much time and stress, then our local grocery store got VERY grouchy/limited on what they would allow so I just gave up on that one. I do pretty well at Aldi's and meat sales in the circulars.

Edited by joyfulheart

Suspect someone has mentioned this but I didn't read all of the replies...

Our greatest saving with electricity came from switching the breaker for the washer/dryer and using those on/off switches for all appliances so that they are not drawing electricity when not in use. HUGE savings. Remember the furnace can be switched off too in the months you are not using it.

It looks like you are doing a great job already!

Do you do your schooling in one main area? We use an infrared heater for our downstairs during the day so the central heating unit (forced air electric) isn't heating the whole house unnecessarily. It also helps to use heavy window coverings. We do cover some of the windows with plastic, but heavy drapes are helpful in addition to the plastic.

Now, if only I could figure out a way to NOT spend $20/month on printer ink...

One more thing I thought about is this. In the summer, I re-use bath water for watering the garden. I know that sounds a little "out there" (but the OP did ask for radical), and it seems so wasteful to let it all go down the drain. I had an a-ha! moment one day, and have since been using this watering trick with great success. Another source for recycling of water is the rinse water from dish washing, any leftover coffee too. The coffee grounds get buried in the garden with the rest of the kitchen waste (egg shells, veggie peelings, leftover cake, bread, fruit peels, etc.). Oh, don't forget about reusing water that potatoes, veggies, or pasta has been boiled in. It also is used to water the garden or indoor plants.

No, that is the things I'm thinking about. Most of the basic stuff is easy enough to do but I'm looking to step things up and make some things routine to further save. I've been trying to severely limit water usage and was considering doing my handwashing in dishpans to save the water- I'm trying to just 2 small sinkfuls a day of water for all such things I need to do. I'll keep an eye out for any water that I'm using that perhaps can be reused. We're hoping to install some catchment as well when we are able to put a roof on the carport but lots of variables as to when that will happen.

When the weather warms up a bit I have a spot to put compost. Dh had moved my garden but after much lamenting on my part is moving it back but we are switching it up a bit, however there is some outside prepwork that needs to be done that we just haven't been able to do yet- I'm hoping within a month at least!~~

My best friend and I were discussing this just yesterday! Both of us-- homeschooling moms, one income families, with BOTH of our husbands facing the possibility of job loss/change...

We both realized that OUR men have trouble with the concept of LOSING "comfort".

They're ok with giving up vacations (havent had one in 10 years), minimal eating out, used clothing/shoes for the kids, not having new cars, not having the cool toys (ipads, expensive computers, etc...) no excessive drinking/bars, etc...

BUT-- Them giving up their sodas (they don't drink coffee), or her husband's cigarrettes, or both of them giving up their Cable TV TOTALLY freaks them out. Also, telling our men to have less meat. wow, don't go there with them! LOL

They work hard, don't party or spend money like crazy fools, but giving up the things that make them comfortable, that they feel they deserve-- is very hard for them.

Ok, so the goal (for us) is to be frugal without making the men feel like they are losing what they love.

How to get CREATIVE when making every penny stretch, yet making the men feel like they were not being deprived....

Yep, I understand that! I feel trying to save money is my way to contribute. Dh would say just don't worry about it BUT I like the challenge and think it is good to do with less, besides I think I'd much rather spend money on other things. Dh fought me on the cable but is quite used to not having it now- that seems to be a big one for guys for some reason. On the soda I don't have it in the house but dh has a small amt of blow money that he can use to buy sodas at work. I try not to nag about that although I dislike it :) I do turn up the thermostat when he comes home and being Catholic he is used to the idea of some meatless meals as penance, so that helps here :) For awhile I was turning off the hot water heater at times but a few times I forgot to turn it back on and time and he ended up with a cold shower, so I have tried not to do that again- he wasn't very happy!!! So, yep, have got to balance it without him thinking I'm totally crazy, totally understand that!!!

:iagree: There are some things I'll personally pass on, but lots of good info for us.
Like the guy who only used 1 square of TP for bms!:)

Suspect someone has mentioned this but I didn't read all of the replies...

Our greatest saving with electricity came from switching the breaker for the washer/dryer and using those on/off switches for all appliances so that they are not drawing electricity when not in use. HUGE savings. Remember the furnace can be switched off too in the months you are not using it.

Hmmm, I didn't realize that the washer and dryer would be pulling electricity when not in use, is that with all models? I watched my usage very strictly last summer and it couldn't be much for mine I think. My washer is an energy star. I'll have to look into that I hate to use electricity for phantom loads. I'll check again on my other appliances. I did have the tv and such on a cord but the router got moved and it isn't so easy to do now, to be honest it seems I mess things up when I try to turn it off I keep messing it up or something.

It looks like you are doing a great job already!

Do you do your schooling in one main area? We use an infrared heater for our downstairs during the day so the central heating unit (forced air electric) isn't heating the whole house unnecessarily. It also helps to use heavy window coverings. We do cover some of the windows with plastic, but heavy drapes are helpful in addition to the plastic.

Now, if only I could figure out a way to NOT spend $20/month on printer ink...

We have central heat/ac and our unit is really very efficient and our house insulated well. I'm not sure that I'd save w/ a space heater here as then I'd have to reheat the house on dh coming home. I do need to think if there is a way to close of some of the rooms downstairs especially. Or if we move schooling in the basement it might make the temps tolerable even lower, although when the sun is shining we get a lot of warmth in the great room and natural light. I do try to turn it entirely off when I can though. That seems to start sometime in March here, from previous years. From past bills Jan is generally our highest usage month, but this month we're on track to use 500-100 kwH less. Part of that is the milder weather and a lot to do with me tracking better. Also, last year dd was taking tons of baths, which really drain the hot water!

Yet again we need to look at the plastic or film for the windows, I think it would really help and they won't be opened for at least a few months anyway

I invested in a printer last year and the cartridges are $5 for 500 pages, it is awesome!!!! But of course some money up front!

We used to always keep the house at 64-66 during the day, but the past couple of years I've wimped out on that and really like to keep it more like 66-68. But now at night we can keep it mighty low, and as long as we have warm blankets you don't even notice. We turn it down to 58, and I'd be glad to turn it down further but I worry that ds6 won't keep his covers on. I remember in high school my 3rd floor bedroom was so cold that I wore a hat to bed! Just like the pioneer days, right?!

I'm not sure if you can eat potato, but that is a easy, cheap and filling meal that most kids love. Serve with a little cheese or yogurt on the side. We sometimes serve oatmeal for dinner! Obviously dried beans are crazy cheap.

:confused: What is TVP :confused:

Texture Vegetable Protein- it is soy

Oh, forgot to say that we have flannel sheets for winter and they make a HUGE difference. No more getting into icy sheets at night.

Ya, I need to keep a lookout for those I had some as a kid and they were awesome.

We used to always keep the house at 64-66 during the day, but the past couple of years I've wimped out on that and really like to keep it more like 66-68. But now at night we can keep it mighty low, and as long as we have warm blankets you don't even notice. We turn it down to 58, and I'd be glad to turn it down further but I worry that ds6 won't keep his covers on. I remember in high school my 3rd floor bedroom was so cold that I wore a hat to bed! Just like the pioneer days, right?!

I'm not sure if you can eat potato, but that is a easy, cheap and filling meal that most kids love. Serve with a little cheese or yogurt on the side. We sometimes serve oatmeal for dinner! Obviously dried beans are crazy cheap.

lol dh would not be happy if we got cold enough for a hat to bed!

I do eat potato, that is one carb that seems to do very well for me/us so we do both white/sweet.

Dh did tell me that he might have one small side job for $100, so that could help. He is working this Sat as well and the next 2. He talked to his boss today about whether he can work on any of those days doing projects- he has a list a mile long of projects he wants dh to do which are easier when no one is there(programming and such). It is looking iffy on that but he is going to work overtime now while he can.

Do you live in a can-and-bottle-redemption state? Since I pick up litter anyway, just to be a good citizen, I also always pick up aluminum cans and unbroken bottles when I find them at parks or on the street and then redeem them with the rest of our household recycling. It's not a fortune, but nickels and dimes add up to dollars eventually?

Is there anything you can sell? Maybe used homeschool or children's books on half.com or amazon or ebay? Have you had a garage sale recently? Do you craft--is there anything you could sell on etsy? As Dave Ramsey says, yes, you have to decrease your outgo, but it can also help to increase your income in whatever crazy ways possible.

BTW, I just saw this earlier today on Yahoo! Voices, which is Yahoo!'s content farm. Don't know if you're registered there, and they're looking mainly in Cali and the NY State area, but maybe you're suited?

We're Looking for Los Angeles Area 'Super Savers' to Appear on Financially Fit

Site: Yahoo! US Finance

Yahoo! Finance's web series "Financially Fit" is looking to profile some serious savers whose savvy techniques have helped them thrive despite a limited income in a tough economic time. We're putting out the call to our Yahoo! contributors to pitch themselves as model super-savers! If your pitch is selected, we will come and film you for a video profile that will appear on Yahoo! Finance.

We are looking for regular folks who not only have fantastic tips and strategies to share, but who are willing to share their personal stories! If you and your family are living life to the fullest despite a limited income ($20K-35K), we want to hear how and why! If you have experienced a substantial change in income but were able maintain your lifestyle, we want to know how you do it! If you were an out of work entrepreneur who was able to turn your passion into income, we want to hear your success story! If you have any other unique tidbits about how you are able to "make it work", we are open to all kinds of stories- don't be afraid to pitch another angle!

Please send a 400-word pitch telling us how you save, and detail your financial situation (Job loss? Unexpected quadruplets?). Be sure to include details about your income, expenses, and confirm that you and anyone relevant to your story is available to shoot during the day if given notice. Let us know what 4-5 tips you can offer that have aided you in the past.

Keep in mind this is still an article so make sure you focus your angle on "How We Survive on a Limited Income," or something along those lines, that would be appropriate for the site.

If we like what we see, we'll be in touch. If not, you'll still be able to earn performance payments on your content.

Be sure to read and follow the new Finance style guide, and focus on your own personal story. First-person stories ONLY.

Please edit your profile (if you haven't done so already) to ensure your relevant professional, academic, and personal experiences are outlined in your bio. This will help qualify you for future opportunities.

Word Count: 400

-Use best search optimization practices and use keywords and search tags throughout your content.

-Create a unique, searchable title incorporating the search tags given.

-Ensure proper spelling and grammar; poor quality submissions will not be accepted.

As always, please cite your sources and be sure your content abides by our submission guidelines.

Recipe for liquid hand soap?

My "recipe" is 1 Tbsp or two of Dr. Bronner's...then dilute with water to fill your existing container, LOL.

You are already doing such an amazing job cutting back, but you might want to check out the Zero Waste Home lady:

http://www.sunset.com/home/natural-home/zero-waste-home-0111-00418000069984/

Edited by kubiac

Oh, thanks for the link. I had read about them before but totally forgot. I've been lax about waste lately and that is a good reminder. I need to work on that more. We don't have bottle or can redemption here, I can recycle paper, newspaper, and plastic but no glass- which is a real shame.

We had a HUGE MONSTER garage sale this past Spring. I do have some curriculum that I need to sort and list but not too much. I'm not crafty kind of person. I'm still thinking if there is a reasonable way I could make money that wouldn't alter our life too much and would be a good fit, but haven't thought of much yet. I think I have plenty I can do to prepare us for this cut, what we need to decide and discuss is longer term goals and see what we need to accomplish them. That has been on my mind anyway, if we can make these cuts can we make them longer term? Some yes, others no. I'm sure we'll have to put off buying some things that we will eventually need but I'm interested in finding ways to eliminate spending and not just forestall it.

I don't live in those areas and really don't think I qualify, still so much I could do and so much we waste. The things I do are things that are easy because I've made them automatic but there is lots more on the list to consider.

Edited by soror