Menu

Pls share your favorite lentil recipes -- Thanks!

Lentils, onion, celery, bell pepper (any color), smoked sausage and water. Enough water to make a soup. Oh, and salt. Enough salt that it tastes good. That might be more than you would think healthy.

Sorry I can't be more specific on the amounts. I don't measure anything when I make this.

Mulligatawny Soup (I usually use fresh garlic and ginger, but this is the super-easy version. As long as you don't scorch the spices it'll be wonderful.)

2 cups red lentils

5 cups broth (chicken or veggie)

5 cups water

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 tablespoons salt

2 medium potatoes (pared and cut up)

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

3 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Lemon juice

plain yogurt

Put lentils, water, 2 tablespoons of salt, and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer for another 30 minutes. Remove from pot and puree mixture in blender. To the pot, add the olive oil and garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and cayenne (I put all of the spices together in bowl so that I can add them at once.) Toast the spices in the heated olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Keep them moving and don't let them scorch or your soup will be bitter. Return the pureed soup to the pot and mix well with the spices. Simmer for about 5 minutes more. Add water to thin if necessary, or simmer longer to thicken.

Serve soup with a dollop of yogurt and a splash of lemon juice.

Enjoy :-)

We eat lentils all the time. I also have several other recipes for Indian-style dals that I could type (one with lime and tamarind, two with coconut milk, another with shallots, and another basic dal).

Kichree

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 tsp cumin seed

1 cup rice, washed

1 cup red lentils, washed

1 tsp salt

Crushed red pepper

2 Tbsp tomato paste

4 cups water

Yogurt

Heat the oil in a qazan or a wok or a pot, then add the garlic and stir briefly. Add the rice and lentils and stir, then add the rest of the ingredients up to and including the tomato paste. Cover with 4 cups boiling water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, adding water if necessary. Serve with plain yogurt. Serves four.

Red Lentil Soup

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

5-6 c beef broth or chicken broth or vegetable broth or water

2 c red lentils, rinsed

16 oz can crushed tomatoes, or use fresh

1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp coriander

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a large pot and saute the onions for a few minutes. Add everything else, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40-50 minutes, adding more broth or water if needed. Serve with plain yogurt, if desired. Serves 6.

Koshari

1/2 cup each brown lentils, pasta, and rice (wash the rice and lentils)

Sauce:

1-2 pounds fresh tomatoes, or use canned

Lots of garlic

Lots of crushed red pepper

Vinegar

Salt

The easiest way to cook the lentils, rice and pasta is to boil water in a big pot, then add 1/2 cup of lentils. Cook for 20 minutes, then add 1/2 cup of rice. Cook for 12 more minutes, then add the pasta. Cook for 8 more minutes and everything should be done. Change the proportions as desired.

Saute the garlic briefly in oil, then add the tomatoes. Cook them down, then add the red pepper and the vinegar and salt. This is a sharp and spicy sauce that needs more vinegar than you might think.

Serve the lentils/rice/pasta in individual bowls topped with tomato sauce. If you like, you can cook the lentils, rice, and pasta separately and serve them in layers as is done in Cairo.

These are two we eat regularly.

Sloppy Lentils (adapted from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker)

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 large, sweet onions, diced

1 bell pepper, preferably red, diced

1 bag of brown lentils

1 small can of tomato paste or 1 16-oz can petite diced tomatoes

3 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons sugar (We use Florida Crystals, usually.)

1.5 tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 cups of water

Rinse and drain the lentils.

Saute the onion and bell pepper in the olive oil until softened.

Add the chili powder, and stir to coat the veggies.

Transfer the mix to a slow cooker.

Add remaining ingredients and stir.

Cook on low heat for six to eight hours.

We eat this served over rolls or hamburger-type buns. I usually serve mashed sweet potatoes or baked french fries on the side.

Curried Lentils (adapted from Linda McCartney's cookbook)

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 large onions, diced

3 cloves garlic, diced

2 tablespoons curry powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

3 tablespoons lemon juice

.5 teaspoon salt

.25 teaspoon ground black pepper

.5 teaspoon ground cinammon

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 bag lentils (You can use plain old brown ones, but we also like yellow.)

.25 cup margarine

4 cups water

Rinse and drain the lentils.

In a pot, saute the onion in olive oil until softened.

Add the garlic and spices, and cook for another two minutes.

Add the lentils, and cook another two or three minutes.

Add the water, lemon juice and margarine, and bring to a boil.

Cover, reduce heat, and cook until the lentils are soft, 20 to 30 minutes, adding extra water if necessary.

I serve this with basmati rice and whatever other Indian sides I fell like making that day.

(I think I'm making the curry thing for dinner tonight, in fact.)

We eat LOTS of lentils.

I sautee a bunch of onions.

Throw in some garlic.

Once they're slightly caramelized, I throw in the lentils and give them a bit of a sautee with the onions and garlic.

Throw in a bunch of chopped tomatoes.

Let the tomatoes fry a bit with the rest.

Then put in enough water to just cover everything in the pot.

Once the lentils start to soften (about 30 mins), throw in some chopped up potatoes and carrots.

Let cook for another 45 mins.

Mix in a little olive oil, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

We like to eat them over rice, with a dollop of sour cream.

Snobby Joes (from theppk.com)

1 cup uncooked green lentils

4 cups water

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, diced small

1 green pepper, diced small

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 Tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons oregano

1 teaspoon salt

8 oz can tomato sauce

1/4 cup tomato paste

3 tablespoons maple syrup

1 tablespoon yellow mustard

4 to 6 kaiser rolls or sesame buns (optional Ă¢â‚¬â€œ for serving)

Put the lentils in a small sauce pot and pour in 4 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.

About 10 minutes before the lentils are done boiling, preheat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute a minute more. Add the cooked lentils, the chili powder, oregano and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can meld, or go ahead and eat immediately if you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t wait.

Honey Baked Lentils

1 cup lentils (any kind)

2 cups water

2 cloves minced garlic

2 tsp ground or fresh ginger

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce

2 Tbsp honey

1 small onion, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients and bake for 45-60 minutes. You can add in extras like carrots, butternut squash, or sweet potatoes.

Serve over quinoa or rice.

This is a family favorite. It isn't pretty (especially as leftovers!) but very hearty and tasty.

Lentil Stew with Sausage and Potatoes

Serves 4

3 tbsp olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp curry powder

4 cups chicken or vegetable broth

1 bay leaf

2 cups brown lentils, picked over and rinsed

10 small red-skinned potatoes, quartered

1/2 lb turkey kielbasa, sliced

1 small bunch arugula or watercress leaves

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 c crumbled feta cheese

Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant. Add broth, bay leaf, and lentils and bring to boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add potatoes, cover, and cook until potatoes and lentils are tender but not mush (~10-15 min longer).

While lentils are cooking, place kielbasa in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown on both sides, set aside, and keep warm. Remove tough stems from arugula or watercress and coarsely chop. When stew is cooked, toss with remaining tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, and arugula. Season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with kielbasa and feta.

Jane Brody's Lentil Rice Soup. I don't want to violate copyright, so here's how I make it:

10 cups of water/chicken broth

1 cup of lentils, picked over and washed

1 cup brown rice

big can of diced tomatoes

stalk or two of chopped celery

3 -5 carrots (wash and put in soup whole. When cooked, take them out, chop them , and put them back. I find raw carrots a pain to chop. cooked ones are a breeze.)

1 chopped onion

3 cloves or more of minced garlic

1 heaping t each of dried oregano, thyme, basil

Salt and pepper to taste.

Put everything in a pot and cook it. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese . You can also add plain yogurt or sour cream as a topping. This cooks up kind of stew like. I cook it after I've made a turkey, using the carcass to make broth, and leaving in little bits of turkey meat. Super yummy.

This is a recipe that I got from Cooking Light mag. I love it! Whenever I make it I like to double the recipe so that I am sure to have leftovers for lunch! :)

Black Lentil and Couscous

1/2 cup dried black lentils

5 cups water, divided

3/4 cup uncooked couscous

3/4 teaspoon salt, divided

1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered

1/3 cup golden raisins

1/3 cup finely chopped red onion

1/3 cup finely chopped cucumber

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint

1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation

1. Rinse lentils with cold water; drain. Place lentils and 4 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.

2. Bring remaining 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Combine lentils, couscous, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.

David Bonom, Cooking Light

OCTOBER 2008

Try Mujaddara. It is a well loved dish among Arabs (Christians and Muslims) and Jews of the Middle East. It consists of spiced lentils combined with cooked rice and topped with crispy well-caramelized onions.

It is so good that legend has it this was the dish Esau traded his birthright away to Isaac to obtain a bowl-full.

Search for recipes, but here are some tips. Cook the rice and lentils separately (even though some will suggest otherwise). Slice the onions very thinly and cross-wise into rings. They need to be really well caramelized (and crispy) to make the dish divine. Using olive oil to cook the onions is traditional, but ghee is even better.

Bill (snaking on left-over lentil soup from last night's meal as we speak.

Try Mujaddara. It is a well loved dish among Arabs (Christians and Muslims) and Jews of the Middle East. It consists of spiced lentils combined with cooked rice and topped with crispy well-caramelized onions.

It is so good that legend has it this was the dish Esau traded his birthright away to Isaac to obtain a bowl-full.

Search for recipes, but here are some tips. Cook the rice and lentils separately (even though some will suggest otherwise). Slice the onions very thinly and cross-wise into rings. They need to be really well caramelized (and crispy) to make the dish divine. Using olive oil to cook the onions is traditional, but ghee is even better.

Bill (snaking on left-over lentil soup from last night's meal as we speak.

Sounds wonderful -- fascinating legend -- ds11 would have to try it if only b/c of the story. Thank you.

And, I daresay you mean 'snacking' not 'snaking' -- the AGA does NOT do snakes!:w00t:

Here is a link to one of the many recipes listed on google -- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentils-and-rice-with-fried-onions-mujadarrah/ -- this looks amazingly easy and it gets rave reviews.

Edited by MariannNOVA
ETA: link to recipe

Pls post them here -- thank you!:D

We eat anything so don't be concerned about what you put in yours.

smileys-cooking-611983.gif

I see one recipe that's similar to the one I will share, but we love this one a lot:

This is my "remake" of the original recipe.

SAUSAGE, LENTIL AND SPINACH SOUP (crockpot version)

1LB. dried lentils

8 cups low sodium chicken broth + 4 cups of water

2 celery ribs, thinly sliced (with leafy tops)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed

3 oz. (or 1/2 the bag) baby spinach, stems removed, torn into bite-sized pieces

coarse salt and pepper, to taste

1 tsp. dried thyme

2 scallions, chopped

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

Directions:

1. In crockpot, put lentils, broth, water and celery. Set to desired heat/time (I usually use the lower settings - 8 to 10 hrs).

2. When lentils are cooked, heat oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

3. To lentils add the cooked sausage and remaining 6 ingredients. Serve the soup with bread. :)

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/sausage-lentil-and-kale-soup-401554#ixzz1bFGuiGg6

Sounds wonderful -- fascinating legend -- ds11 would have to try it if only b/c of the story. Thank you.

And, I daresay you mean 'snacking' not 'snaking' -- the AGA does NOT do snakes!:w00t:

Here is a link to one of the many recipes listed on google -- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentils-and-rice-with-fried-onions-mujadarrah/ -- this looks amazingly easy and it gets rave reviews.

Ah, yes "snacking" not "snaking." :lol:

This recipe advises cooking the rice with the lentils (after the lentils get a head start). This is done by some, but the Arab ladies who taught me to cook this dish insisted they were best cooked separately, and (after trying both ways) I agree.

I also wonder if the proportion of lentils in the linked recipe is too great? It seems so to me.

Do not overcook the lentils!

Get the onions somewhat crispy.

Bill

ETA: the linked recipe also has no spices (beyond black pepper) which is a missed opportunity and not traditional. I would consider a recipe with cumin, coriander, cardamom, turmeric, cinnamon, or other spices of this sort.

Edited by Spy Car

Ah, yes "snacking" not "snaking." :lol:

This recipe advises cooking the rice with the lentils (after the lentils get a head start). This is done by some, but the Arab ladies who taught me to cook this dish insisted they were best cooked separately, and (after trying both ways) I agree.

I noticed that in the comments, some suggest cooking the rice spearately as you did; and dh and I do prefer rice cooked separately in these kinds of dishes - so that is duly noted.

I also wonder if the proportion of lentils in the linked recipe is too great? It seems so to me. I will do some comparisons. thanks for that tip.

Do not overcook the lentils! Got it. Mush is not a favorite here.

Get the onions somewhat crispy. I'm hungry already.:D

Bill

Thanks -- a plethora of recipes for Mujadarrah out there -- I LOVE to read recipes.:D

I see one recipe that's similar to the one I will share, but we love this one a lot:

This is my "remake" of the original recipe.

SAUSAGE, LENTIL AND SPINACH SOUP (crockpot version)

1LB. dried lentils

8 cups low sodium chicken broth + 4 cups of water

2 celery ribs, thinly sliced (with leafy tops)

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil

8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed

3 oz. (or 1/2 the bag) baby spinach, stems removed, torn into bite-sized pieces

coarse salt and pepper, to taste

1 tsp. dried thyme

2 scallions, chopped

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

Directions:

1. In crockpot, put lentils, broth, water and celery. Set to desired heat/time (I usually use the lower settings - 8 to 10 hrs).

2. When lentils are cooked, heat oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

3. To lentils add the cooked sausage and remaining 6 ingredients. Serve the soup with bread. :)

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/sausage-lentil-and-kale-soup-401554#ixzz1bFGuiGg6

I love sausage and spinach so this is one I will have to try -- in fact, all of you had shared recipes that look fabulous. Thank you!

Thanks -- a plethora of recipes for Mujadarrah out there -- I LOVE to read recipes.:D

A nice thing about cooking the ingredients separately (especially the first times) is that you can control the proportions as you combine the elements. There should be a nice balance of lentils and rice. IMO it should lean slightly more in the direction of rice studded with lentils rather than lentils studded with rice.

Follow your bliss :D

Bill

A nice thing about cooking the ingredients separately (especially the first times) is that you can control the proportions as you combine the elements. There should be a nice balance of lentils and rice. IMO it should lean slightly more in the direction of rice studded with lentils rather than lentils studded with rice.

Follow your bliss :D

Bill

:001_smile: Dh will prefer rice studded with lentils. As for me, well, above in red sums it up.......I can do that.:D

Love, LOVE mujadarrah. Even when accidentally overcooked (not naming names), the dish is frighteningly good.

We love chicken posole here and I was craving it the other day--but didn't have chicken, so subbed lentils. Wow!! A new favorite dish! Lots of room for imagination, but here's how I did it:

1 can yellow or white hominy, drained (or corn)

1 can Mexican-style diced tomatoes

1 can medium red enchilada sauce

2 carrots, diced

1 med onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 tsp cumin (who are we kidding--I use a lot more than that)

2 cups lentils, with veggie or chicken stock/broth to match

Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, lime wedges, tortilla chips, pickled jalapenos

Saute carrots and onion for a couple minutes in canola oil. Add garlic and cumin. When it smells so good you can't stand it anymore, add everything else and let it simmer forever until the lentils are done (ok, really that's only like half an hour, depending on the type of lentil).

Top with yummy stuff. Add salt if you want. Serve with warm whole wheat tortillas.

The legend is new to me! :001_smile:

Hill Country Classical Academy previously posted a mujadarah recipe here. We enjoyed it but then we are fans of caramelized onions. Yesterday I made pissaladiere!

Another signaure dish that I make is a lentil salad. People who know me often demand I bring this dish to pot-lucks or other group meals.

For a good lentil salad you need either black "beluga" lentils or French "Du Puy" green lentils, as these will hold their tooth (which is essential). After they are cooked "al dente" they are rinsed, drained and cooled. Then combined with colorful stuff, like diced red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, diced Italian parsley, diced red onion, diced Persian cucumber, and/or any vegetable or fruit that will add color, flavor, and textural interest. It can even include dried fruits and nuts/seeds (as you will).

A simple dressing of extra-virgin olive oil, industrial balsamic vinegar, salt, and lots of smashed garlic pulls it all together.

It is a favorite salad. The only tricky part is sourcing the right lentils.

Bill

Another signaure dish that I make is a lentil salad. People who know me often demand I bring this dish to pot-lucks or other group meals.

For a good lentil salad you need either black "beluga" lentils or French "Du Puy" green lentils, as these will hold their tooth (which is essential). After they are cooked "al dente" they are rinsed, drained and cooled. Then combined with colorful stuff, like diced red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, diced Italian parsley, diced red onion, diced Persian cucumber, and/or any vegetable or fruit that will add color, flavor, and textural interest. It can even include dried fruits and nuts/seeds (as you will).

A simple dressing of extra-virgin olive oil, industrial balsamic vinegar, salt, and lots of smashed garlic pulls it all together.

It is a favorite salad. The only tricky part is sourcing the right lentils.

Bill

FASCINATING recipe -- I prepare an orzo salad that is the same -- just uses orzo instead of lentils. Whole Foods has an impressive assortment of lentils from which to choose -- dh and I were studying them last night. Hence, my request today.

The salad sounds divine -- thank you. More printing to do.

I am printing out all the recipes you wonderful folks shared here with me. Thank you so much!

I think that THIS is the recipe I will try this evening:

http://herbivoracious.com/2007/10/recipe-mujadara.html

Thank you all again. Bon Appetit!

Sounds better!

I hope you love it. You can't have too many onions. 3 lbs makes be smile :001_smile:

I still say cut the onions as thin as you are able. I would also up the amount of cumin (and press you to toast whole cumin seeds and grind them fresh) and make the cinnamon serve in the background. But that's just me :D

Bill

Red Lentil Stew (this works with brown lentils, too--it will just be a different consistency)

2 onions, minced

6 garlic cloves, minced

2 T vegetable oil

1 T minced or grated fresh ginger

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground turmeric

1/8 tsp ground cardamom

1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

4 cups water

1 (14-oz) can coconut milk

1 lb red lentils (2 1/4 cups), picked over and rinsed

1 lb carrots (about 6), peeled and chopped medium

1 lb plum tomatoes (4 to 6), cored and chopped medium

1 cup frozen peas

salt and pepper

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

1. Microwave onions, garlic, oil, ginger, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, and red pepper flakes in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to 6-quart slow cooker.

2. Stir water, coconut milk, lentils, and carrots into slow cooker. Cover and cook until lentils are tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 5 hours on high.

3. Stir in tomatoes, cover and cook on high until heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in peas and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

FASCINATING recipe -- I prepare an orzo salad that is the same -- just uses orzo instead of lentils. Whole Foods has an impressive assortment of lentils from which to choose -- dh and I were studying them last night. Hence, my request today.

The salad sounds divine -- thank you. More printing to do.

Similar salads can also be made from boiled red wheat berries (which are nicely complemented by adding nuts and sweet elements like dried cranberries, green raisins, pomegranate seeds, even a scant amount of sugar in the dressing, other fresh fruits (or even cheeses).

The white wheat berries also make an nteresting salad, but their softer texture makes them better suited to curry-like seasonings rather than going slighty sweet as with the hard red wheat.

I've also been playing with spelt salads, as spelt has it's own thing (and is quite good). It is most like Orzo, but still different.

Bill

Similar salads can also be made from boiled red wheat berries (which are nicely complemented by adding nuts and sweet elements like dried cranberries, green raisins, pomegranate seeds, even a scant amount of sugar in the dressing, other fresh fruits (or even cheeses).

The white wheat berries also make an nteresting salad, but their softer texture makes them better suited to curry-like seasonings rather than going slighty sweet as with the hard red wheat.

I've also been playing with spelt salads, as spelt has it's own thing (and is quite good). It is most like Orzo, but still different.

Bill

Fascinating. My dd31 and her dh would love to sit and talk with you for hours about food.:) Well, dh and I would as well, but my dd and her dh would actually be able to communicate intelligently with you about it. DH and I are just commiting to cooking 'whole.'

Mexican Lentils and rice

3/4 c lentils

1/2 c brown rice

1/4 c dried onion

2 t cumin

1 t basil

1 t oregano

1 t garlic

1 t salt

3 c. broth (no salt)

cover and cook 2ish hours at 300 in oven

top with nacho toppings: cheese, olives, avocado, salsa etc.

serve with corn chips

we eat this every week.

Mexican Lentils and rice

3/4 c lentils

1/2 c brown rice

1/4 c dried onion

2 t cumin

1 t basil

1 t oregano

1 t garlic

1 t salt

3 c. broth (no salt)

cover and cook 2ish hours at 300 in oven

top with nacho toppings: cheese, olives, avocado, salsa etc.

serve with corn chips

we eat this every week.

That sounds wonderful! My kids would love that.

vegan friend uses them to make a meatless version of sloppy joes ---snobby joes-not sure her exact recipe but I'm sure it's based on something like the link below...I sometimes make lentils and mix with ground turkey/chicken and eat like in tacos.....

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=535984

:iagree:

This has been the most helpful thread recipe-wise. I went from being an absolute lentil-novice to having a passel of recipes that look fabulous -- starting with the Mujadarrah we had for dinner the other night.

And, if I told you how my mom made lentils when I was a kid, you would run screaming from the room. :lol::lol::lol:

And if I told you how DH's mom made lentils when he was a kid, you'd run screaming at breakneck speed. :lol::lol::lol:

Huge thank you to everyone who shared, and if you are just seeing this and have recipes to share, bring them on.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this back up and adding one of my favorites:

Lentil Chili

2 cups lentils

7 cups water or broth

1 large onion, finely chopped

2 large bell peppers (any color), finely chopped

2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes

1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce

Ă‚Â¾ cup beer

3 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)

1 Ă‚Â½ teaspoons salt

sour cream

shredded cheese

In a 6- to 8- quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the lentils and water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently. Cook the lentils until tender, about 45 minutes. Add the onion, bell peppers, tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce, beer, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and salt. Stir well. Reduce heat to low. Keep the soup at a bare simmer until the flavors meld (about 30 minutes).

Top each serving with a spoonful of sour cream and some cheese.

Two of my favorite lentil soups...

Easy Curried Lentil Soup

1 small yellow onion, finely chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups vegetable or chicken stock

1 cup dried lentils (I used the red variety)

2-3 carrots, thinly sliced in rounds

1 cup julienned greens (I used mustard greens this time)

1-2 Tbsp curry powder, or to taste

Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 can coconut milk

Saute onion & garlic until tender. Add broth, bring to a boil, and add lentils. Simmer until lentils begin to soften, then add carrots, salt, pepper & curry powder. Continue cooking until carrots & lentils are cooked through. Stir in greens - cook for about 5-8 minutes more, then stir in coconut milk & serve. If needed, during the cooking process, you can add a little water to reach your desired consistency.

Lentil Sausage Soup

1 pound lentils, any variety

2-3 carrots, sliced into rounds (or "coins" as my kids call them)

2-3 stalks celery, sliced/chopped

1 large yellow onion, chopped

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

8 cups water or broth (I think I used veggie broth)

2 bay leaves

Good dash of worcestershire sauce

2-3 cooked sausages, sliced thinly (I used mild Italian chicken sausage)

A few handfuls of chopped greens, like spinach, chard, kale, etc.

Saute the onions and garlic until transparent, then add celery and carrots, cook a few minutes more. Add broth, lentils, sausage, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the lentils are very tender. Add the greens and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Absolutely delicious with some cornbread on the side, or good toast to dip in.

My favorite is lentil tacos. I make this a lot.

Ingredients

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon oil

1 cup dried lentils, rinsed

1 tablespoon chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 cups veggie broth

1 cup salsa

12 taco shells

1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce

1 cup chopped fresh tomato

Directions

In a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until lentils are tender

We love chicken posole here and I was craving it the other day--but didn't have chicken, so subbed lentils. Wow!! A new favorite dish! Lots of room for imagination, but here's how I did it:

1 can yellow or white hominy, drained (or corn)

1 can Mexican-style diced tomatoes

1 can medium red enchilada sauce

2 carrots, diced

1 med onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 tsp cumin (who are we kidding--I use a lot more than that)

2 cups lentils, with veggie or chicken stock/broth to match

Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, lime wedges, tortilla chips, pickled jalapenos

Saute carrots and onion for a couple minutes in canola oil. Add garlic and cumin. When it smells so good you can't stand it anymore, add everything else and let it simmer forever until the lentils are done (ok, really that's only like half an hour, depending on the type of lentil).

Top with yummy stuff. Add salt if you want. Serve with warm whole wheat tortillas.

Classical Country Mama, we tried your lentil posole recipe for dinner tonight and enjoyed it very much. We topped it with sour cream and avocado and served it over rice.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Kareni