Menu

Do you glamorize where other people live?

I read a bunch of posts all the time, every day. :D I look where people are from just because I am nosy and it is interesting to see where everyone is coming from.

I will get ideas in my head about what the town looks like, or a house on a nice street. Is it sunny or rainy? I'll input something for the weather, usually sun and green grass :D. Just musings about what is there. I notice I tend to always think of them as these nice places, certainly nicer than where I live.

Anyone else do that? Or am I just being freaky? :tongue_smilie:

The flip side of it is that the places that are really nice also tend to have a super-high cost of living.

Today it's 66 degrees and sunny out where I live about 25 miles east of San Francisco. :001_smile: But a house down the street from us just sold for $580k and it's nothing special. :eek:

I don't glamorise where people live, but you're not freaky :D.

I tend to glamorise their homeschool: how organised they are; how much fun they are; how perfect their children are; how much work they get through, work that is advanced, exciting, fascinating; what delicious, nutritious meals they serve up at the drop of a hat. I guess it gives me something to aspire to :D.

Best wishes

Cassy

Edited by Cassy

I also think a lot of people have romantic ideas about living in here in Ireland.

Indeed we do. :drool5:

I have always pictured Ireland as a cozy little haven. Not sure why, but it sounds very nice.

Whoever mentioned a Georgian house in north England stirred up my imagination too.

But more than having visual imagination, I find it funny to attempt to guess with what accents people "speak" when I read their posts. I have this really vivid imagination of one Australian fellow, I can totally "turn on" her possible accent in my mind while I read her posts.

I tend to glamorise their homeschool: how organised they are; how much fun they are; how perfect their children are; how much work they get through, work that is advanced, exciting, fascinating; what delicious, nutritious meals they serve up at the drop of a hat. I guess it gives me something to aspire to :D.

Best wishes

Cassy

Oh I do that too! Imagine the kids actually paying attention, not grumbling and clean rooms to boot.

I do that. I also think a lot of people have romantic ideas about living in here in Ireland.

*sigh* I'd love to see Ireland. About those romantic ideas... people have them about the mountains too :glare:

When summer temps hit here, I read people's post from the Pacific Northwest and think about how nice it is to be living in F75 or so....or those close to the coast I picture with a gentle breeze. :D

:lol::lol::lol: The PNW gentle breeze sometimes blows us right off the beach! It's very windy, especially in summer when inland temps heat up. (Sorry to burst your daydream bubble. Perhaps I should've left well enough alone. ;) )

Of course, in winter, I dream of sunny CA, especially when it's foggy and chilly and my dear friend texts me that it's 75 degrees and sunny.

Cat

Only if it's some place I really want to live like anywhere in New England. But I married a southener and his job is, well could be in New England, but he's chosen to live here in the south where the cost of living is cheap, houses are big and the weather is not New englands.:lol:

I have this really vivid imagination of one Australian fellow, I can totally "turn on" her possible accent in my mind while I read her posts.

Fella ;) Use the dialect with the accent. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think I glamorise where other people live. I'm sitting in my MIL's house in one of the nicer parts of town, wondering why wealthy people use 1 ply toilet paper and buy the cheapest, nastiest bread. (Serves me right for going through her pantry instead of going and buying my own. I'll do that later. :) )

I might just glamorise food. I am certain people in cute houses in the countryside are eating nice bread. I am certain that people in tropical huts are eating nice flatbreads.

I need to go shopping and restock MIL's pantry.

Rosie

I love my life in the city, near the subway, near the restaurants, near the parks... but don't glamorize. I actually saw someone get jumped literally in front of my house last week from the window and had the city privilege of calling 911, running outside and being the first to see the poor neighbor with blood on his face then be interviewed by the cops. All in my pink pajama pants, of course. Sigh. It had been a really long time (over a year!) since I'd had to call 911 for a neighborhood incident though. At least our property values are holding strong?

I do sort of glamorize those who live outside the US a little. We have a few posters, like Heather, who live in Asia - and I briefly lived there and sometimes want to go back so I get a sort of ooh, envy about it.

Best wishes

Cassy

Yes, I picture this all the time!

I do that. I also think a lot of people have romantic ideas about living in here in Ireland.

I certainly do!

Only if it's some place I really want to live like anywhere in New England. But I married a southener and his job is, well could be in New England, but he's chosen to live here in the south where the cost of living is cheap, houses are big and the weather is not New englands.:lol:

I live in New England. It's not cheap that's for sure! You'll have to stay in the south for that.

Indeed we do. :drool5:

I have always pictured Ireland as a cozy little haven. Not sure why, but it sounds very nice.

Whoever mentioned a Georgian house in north England stirred up my imagination too.

But more than having visual imagination, I find it funny to attempt to guess with what accents people "speak" when I read their posts. I have this really vivid imagination of one Australian fellow, I can totally "turn on" her possible accent in my mind while I read her posts.

Yes, I too love accents. All of them. :D

well, I have to admit... It is pretty awesome living here. :D

But the traffic.... Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Hehe. I never had to drive the year I lived in China then traveled around SE Asia. It did look rather awful. I have an excellent story about a hitchhiked ride through Bangkok on the back of a motorbike that dh says I really am not allowed to tell because it terrified him so. :tongue_smilie: But see, this is why it's silly to glamorize. If I was there with the kids, I *would* have to drive!

I am sure they do. I sure do. Any of the exotic locations I daydream about. I have visions of homeschooling in the heather, or on a beach or hiking through the rainforest etc. Even better the aussies I am sure have the coolest way of life...and pet kangaroos ;) Those that even live in my own country but out on one of the coast I fantasize about all the nature studies on the beach they can do etc.

Like a pp I also fantasize about how wonderful their homeschool is. YOu know the fact they are always cheerful and the children complete all their work 4 grades ahead with a smile and the home is ready for company at any second, and everyone gets along without ever bickering or growling at each other. THat mom is dressed for the day, hair and make up perfect etc. Basically the June cleaver of the homeschool world.

It gets really bad when I picture the 2 together. :lol: My imagination can run away with me at times ;)

I think it depends on my mood. I can glamorize other people's houses, children, homeschool, marriage, town, etc.

Sometimes I live more in reality, though......:001_smile:

I spent way too many years wishing I lived somewhere else (usually the Pacific Northwest) but I finally made my peace with the fact that my life is right here, so I try not to dream about better places...... Even though I know they exist........ particularly in small towns near the coast .....in Oregon ....or Washington.

I do this with homeschool A LOT.

There's been a pertinent quote floating around pinterest lately that I need to put on my fridge:

“The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.â€

:lol::lol::lol: The PNW gentle breeze sometimes blows us right off the beach! It's very windy, especially in summer when inland temps heat up. (Sorry to burst your daydream bubble. Perhaps I should've left well enough alone. ;) )

Of course, in winter, I dream of sunny CA, especially when it's foggy and chilly and my dear friend texts me that it's 75 degrees and sunny.

Cat

:D It's always good to get a dose of reality! Thank you. I will endeavor to remember this when I see F104 on my thermometer in a few months. ;)

The PNW, Ireland, and Dorset England, yes. :D But other than that, I'm a New England girl, through and through. I need my 4 seasons.

But I do romanticize things about other people's lives. :001_smile:

Is this a girl thing? I cannot imagine the guys sitting around doing this. :D:D:D

I do this with homeschool A LOT.

There's been a pertinent quote floating around pinterest lately that I need to put on my fridge:

“The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.â€

How true! I Love this quote!

I am in Michigan. The winter has not been that bad so far, but when it gets cold I do fantasize about the t-shirt/short wearing homeschooling families soaking up the sun, splashing in the waves at the beach...you get the point!

The PNW, Ireland, and Dorset England, yes. :D But other than that, I'm a New England girl, through and through. I need my 4 seasons.

But I do romanticize things about other people's lives. :001_smile:

See, if I didn't live in Ireland, my fantasy places are New England (I have visions of miles of autumn colour, buttermilk yellow houses with white picket fences and neighbours baking muffins for each other.:lol:) and Dorset, where we spent our summer holidays as kids. My dad is a big Thomas Hardy fan and he made us do the tours every year. It's really beautiful there.:001_smile:

Edited by lorrainejmc

I do that. I also think a lot of people have romantic ideas about living in Ireland.

My sister lives in a smallish town in Ireland. As a foreigner she will always be regarded as a 'blow-in' and even though she is married to an Irishman it has taken her years to make friends and settle into the community. The weather is horrible too, so no romantic ideas for me.

I used to want to live anywhere but here. After our very advanced emigration plans fell through a few years ago due to health reasons, I had to make peace with staying. As it turns out, it was a good thing as the economy tanked and the industry dh is in was hit hard. We would probably have been in another country and without a job within a few months.

I've learned to appreciate what we have here. Nowhere is perfect. I have siblings living on four continents and there are things to complain about everywhere.

I don't. Even in the nicest locations, there are imperfections -- litter everywhere, or rude people, or terrible bus service, or something. Nothing is perfect. I'd rather create my own reality -- a clean, pretty home, healthy meals served attractively, interesting books to read, and fun, polite people all around me. If you have those things, it doesn't matter all that much what location you're in.

My sister lives in a smallish town in Ireland. As a foreigner she will always be regarded as a 'blow-in' and even though she is married to an Irishman it has taken her years to make friends and settle into the community. The weather is horrible too, so no romantic ideas for me.

I used to want to live anywhere but here. After our very advanced emigration plans fell through a few years ago due to health reasons, I had to make peace with staying. As it turns out, it was a good thing as the economy tanked and the industry dh is in was hit hard. We would probably have been in another country and without a job within a few months.

I've learned to appreciate what we have here. Nowhere is perfect. I have siblings living on four continents and there are things to complain about everywhere.

I can see that happening in many parts of Ireland. I'm up north and we now have so many "blow-ins" from Eastern Europe that it is no longer as much of a problem. OTOH, my sil is from Kyrgyzstan but it is her who has resisted integrating with the community. She expects us to know and acknowledge her ways but makes no effort to know and acknowledge ours.

As for the climate, I like it.:tongue_smilie:

Nowhere is perfect but for me this is home and I can't imagine living permanently anywhere else. I think sometimes some folk can imagine life would be better somewhere else when really it's a state of mind.

I don't. Even in the nicest locations, there are imperfections -- litter everywhere, or rude people, or terrible bus service, or something. Nothing is perfect. I'd rather create my own reality -- a clean, pretty home, healthy meals served attractively, interesting books to read, and fun, polite people all around me. If you have those things, it doesn't matter all that much what location you're in.

:iagree: That's what I meant by "a state of mind" in my post above. You can have the best life almost anywhere with the right attitude.:D

ETA: Obviously, (I hope) I am referring to the developed world and to people without extreme circumstances.

Edited by lorrainejmc

Not really. I know where I would like to live and have lived there for many years already so I know what it is like.

However, I am content here now. We are approaching 7 years of living here which floors me, I never thought we would even live here 2 years! But it is home to my boys and they love it and have no desire to move. DH has a great job that he loves and that means a lot. It is also a great place to homeschool. There are so many here.

Dawn