Menu

Wow. Have you seen this?

What amazes me is that police didn't show up for 21 minutes.

My understanding is that this time frame is a lot more common than most of us realize.

What I don't get is that she clearly has a full size German Shepherd. Those two idiots were going to face down the dog??

Or kill it with the knife?? I have to admit: I wouldn't think they'd barge in with a massive dog barking at them. (Although I've known very docile German Shephers so maybe this one was huddled behind a chair.)

Alley

Well, I pretty much would have done the same thing but I don't know that I would have had the presence of mind to call 911. I once had someone trying to break into my home in Norman, OK when he knew there were only two young women at home and I drove him off at the point of my thirty ought six. I didn't even have a young child at the time but based on statistics alone you think that people would know not to poke a mama bear when she is protecting her young.

:iagree: The courts have also ruled that the police are under no obligation to help you (a rape victim tried to sue them and lost.)

WHAT??? :svengo: If the police are under no obligation to help, what are they for?? :001_huh:

My understanding is that this time frame is a lot more common than most of us realize.

What I don't get is that she clearly has a full size German Shepherd. Those two idiots were going to face down the dog??

Or kill it with the knife?? I have to admit: I wouldn't think they'd barge in with a massive dog barking at them. (Although I've known very docile German Shephers so maybe this one was huddled behind a chair.)

Alley

The 21 minutes doesn't really surprise me. I am a little shocked that the dog didn't give them pause, though. That said, my dog (who is not a German Shepherd, but is still 70 lbs and has a 'big' warning bark) would give said warning bark and then sit down at their feet to be petted. :tongue_smilie:

Nah, maybe not really. I've heard that even docile dogs can be pretty feisty if their owners are being threatened...

That said, my dog (who is not a German Shepherd, but is still 70 lbs and has a 'big' warning bark) would give said warning bark and then sit down at their feet to be petted. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree::D That's the way my black lab was.

I like the last sentence of the article.

There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."

More and more people are defending themselves. We've had two would be robbers shot in our area trying to hold up a store in the past month. Each of them had length rap sheets. The clerks said they were tired of getting robbed and took steps to defend their property.

I applaud this woman for her calmness. Being a former dispatcher it is rare that someone in that situation is that calm but then she had just lost her husband and her baby was there. I stay calm around the kids.

The other guy turned and ran and then turned himself in. It's obvious from the story - one of them had come by the house before - they were casing houses and thought she'd be an easy mark.

There is no telling what the dog would do in that situation. I have a cocker spaniel that would tear someone up but a large lab mix that would probably go hide.

WHAT??? :svengo: If the police are under no obligation to help, what are they for?? :001_huh:

The 21 minutes doesn't really surprise me. I am a little shocked that the dog didn't give them pause, though. That said, my dog (who is not a German Shepherd, but is still 70 lbs and has a 'big' warning bark) would give said warning bark and then sit down at their feet to be petted. :tongue_smilie:

Nah, maybe not really. I've heard that even docile dogs can be pretty feisty if their owners are being threatened...

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html

"The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation."

This is an old article, but there have been several more rulings that say the same thing.

The crazy thing is, in some states you have to run. You can't always shoot someone breaking into your home. If you're in a duty-to-retreat state, you have to run away and then can use deadly force if they pursue and attack you. In other states the law says you can "stand your ground" and shoot anyone breaking into your home, vehicle, or business.

Castle doctrine on Wikipedia

The crazy thing is, in some states you have to run. You can't always shoot someone breaking into your home. If you're in a duty-to-retreat state, you have to run away and then can use deadly force if they pursue and attack you. In other states the law says you can "stand your ground" and shoot anyone breaking into your home, vehicle, or business.

But how do you run with an infant?

I'd take the chance. There is no way i would be able to run with my 4 kids. You break into my house knowing I am there with my kids you are going to get shot. I'll let the courts (all the way to the supreme courts if need be) decide.

But how do you run with an infant?

That, I don't know. I'm glad she was in Oklahoma and didn't have to try. Maybe retreating to a bedroom and locking that door would be "good enough", but you wouldn't know unless you shot them, got sued/charged, and then found to have been justified. I've never seen anything that specifies how you're supposed to get away.

This reminds me of an African folktale about a lion family. During a drought the father was far-ranging for food for the baby. The mother felt threatened by hyenas, then a leopard began trailing her. She moved her cub into a protected overhang of a cliff and waited. She placed herself face out blocking the entrance. When the father finally found them, there was a dead leopard outside the enclosure. The mother was dead, but turned inside so that her child could feed from her body. The old people who tell the story end it with the admonishment that no matter what you do as a hunter, you never, ever, go after a mother with a baby.... Good lesson to know....

I'd take the chance. There is no way i would be able to run with my 4 kids. You break into my house knowing I am there with my kids you are going to get shot. I'll let the courts (all the way to the supreme courts if need be) decide.

:iagree: I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Yes, everything changes when they perceive a threat. My always docile mastiff once placed herself between me and a man who was cleaning out my chimney. Every hair on her back was raised. As soon as he was done and gone, she relaxed. I don't know what bad vibe she got but she turned protective immediately.

More info on this story, accomplice is now charged with the shooting. http://www.news9.com/story/16446500/prosecutors-charge-accomplice-of-man-shot-killed-by-blanchard-mom

He's not charged with the actual shooting, but, "Prosecutors have now charged Stewart with first-degree murder because he was engaged in a felony crime when his accomplice was killed."