Menu

What would you do in this situation?

We live in an up/down duplex, and every once in awhile, my dd will play with the kids from downstairs, one girl about the same age as dd, the other a few years older.

Today, they came over (without calling first to see if it was okay, ugh) to play, and the older girl told me that they're getting a pitbull. :blink:

Now, this is a no-dogs building, so I asked the girl how they'd talked our landlord into it. "Oh, he'll never find out," she said. Also, the mom is a single parent and works almost all the time. She is almost never home, and when the girls are down there, it's always with their teenage sitter.

I know that many pitbulls are wonderful, loving pets who wouldn't hurt a fly, but I also know that without proper training, they do have the potential to become dangerous. And I have to admit, the idea of a neglected pitbull who sits home alone for eighteen hours a day makes me nervous. Her kids, when they are home, pretty much roam the neighborhood unsupervised, and I'm assuming the pitbull will do the same. I'm petrified that dd and I are going to have to deal with it being alone out in the yard a lot. Not to mention that dd is terrified of any dog bigger than a chihuahua.

I want to tell the landlord so he can tell them no way, but if he talks to them about it, they're going to know it was me who told him, and then they'll most likely make our lives a living hell in retaliation. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!

I'd tell the landlord. Seriously what is a person who is not home most of the day going to do in retaliation? Sic the 3-year old on you?

If they give you carp like loud noises, vacuuming at 3am, or other annoyances, just keep telling the landlord and if need be call the cops.

We live in an up/down duplex, and every once in awhile, my dd will play with the kids from downstairs, one girl about the same age as dd, the other a few years older.

Today, they came over (without calling first to see if it was okay, ugh) to play, and the older girl told me that they're getting a pitbull. :blink:

Now, this is a no-dogs building, so I asked the girl how they'd talked our landlord into it. "Oh, he'll never find out," she said. Also, the mom is a single parent and works almost all the time. She is almost never home, and when the girls are down there, it's always with their teenage sitter.

I know that many pitbulls are wonderful, loving pets who wouldn't hurt a fly, but I also know that without proper training, they do have the potential to become dangerous. And I have to admit, the idea of a neglected pitbull who sits home alone for eighteen hours a day makes me nervous. Her kids, when they are home, pretty much roam the neighborhood unsupervised, and I'm assuming the pitbull will do the same. I'm petrified that dd and I are going to have to deal with it being alone out in the yard a lot. Not to mention that dd is terrified of any dog bigger than a chihuahua.

I want to tell the landlord so he can tell them no way, but if he talks to them about it, they're going to know it was me who told him, and then they'll most likely make our lives a living hell in retaliation. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!

I think it goes beyond the fact the it's a pitbull, ours is a huge lover who has been left alone during the day quite a bit, and will lick anyone who enters to death. This situation is more than just the type of dog, it sounds like it's more about an already neglectful person bringing another responsibility into their home without properly thinking through the situation. I would absolutely tell the landlord that they are talking about bringing a dog home.

I really hope this doesn't become a pitbull bashing thread.

I'd tell the landlord. Seriously what is a person who is not home most of the day going to do in retaliation? Sic the 3-year old on you?

If they give you carp like loud noises, vacuuming at 3am, or other annoyances, just keep telling the landlord and if need be call the cops.

They'll smoke in their unit. It's a non-smoking building, and they are aware that dd gets violently sick if we get any smoke in our unit. (Last time someone smoked down there and it came up the vents, dd ended up in the ER with an irregular heartbeat.) The mom is a smoker, and I had to beg to get her to smoke outside initially (even though it's in the lease not to). If I do this, I can pretty much guarantee she'll start lighting up inside when she is home to get back at us.

There are a lot of great things about renting, and we love our unit, but sometimes it is a huge pain in the @ss. :glare:

That's certainly not my intent. I've known people who have had some supposedly "dangerous" animals that were wonderful- my best friend growing up had a pet wolf that used to snuggle with me all night during sleepovers. All breeds have their quirks, and some breeds do become more unpredictable in neglectful situations.

can you ask the landlord to come over Saturday for some completely random thing, and let him 'run into' them with a dog?

I've thought about that. I was hoping to think of some way to let him know before they actually get it, because it would be much easier for them to not adopt it in the first place than to bring it home and have to give it away again.

She's 8. No, she was pretty sure about it. She knew all the details- that it's a younger dog, that they're bringing it home Saturday.

Is there any way to get your landlord over there when the dog is there, so it doesn't appear that you informed on them? I don't know what the excuse might be - I know when we rented, our landlord never came over. Or every time the dog is out, unleashed, call animal control (assuming you have leash laws there)? I'd want to inform the landlord, but know how touchy relations can be with neighbors in a duplex (we lived in one for a few years).

Is the only information you have from the child? The oldest kid must be around 8 or 9 if she's a few years older than your 5 yo. At that age, wanting a pet may be wishful thinking. The family doesn't have the dog yet. Also, the children aren't neglected since you mention a babysitter, even if they are outside unsupervised more than you feel they should be. I think I would want more definite information before I said anything to the landlord.

Ann

I would approach the mom and ask if this is true and then tell her that you'll be obligated to report the dog to the landlord. To heck with the aggressive factor if she truly works a lot, then this isn't the right time for a dog unless she had a great pet sitter set up.

But I find that unlikely since she's trying to SNEAK a pitbull in.

I think it goes beyond the fact the it's a pitbull, ours is a huge lover who has been left alone during the day quite a bit, and will lick anyone who enters to death. This situation is more than just the type of dog, it sounds like it's more about an already neglectful person bringing another responsibility into their home without properly thinking through the situation. I would absolutely tell the landlord that they are talking about bringing a dog home.

:iagree:We have a pit bull and she is the sweetest dog we have ever had. This person sounds like a problem, I hope you have get it resolved.

Is the only information you have from the child? The oldest kid must be around 8 or 9 if she's a few years older than your 5 yo. At that age, wanting a pet may be wishful thinking. The family doesn't have the dog yet. Also, the children aren't neglected since you mention a babysitter, even if they are outside unsupervised more than you feel they should be. I think I would want more definite information before I said anything to the landlord.

Ann

I'm pretty sure she was telling the truth. She's 8, but she's not the type to make things up like that. She pretty much raises her younger sister, so she's fairly mature for a kid her age. When they do come over to play, she usually spends her time sitting and talking to me instead of playing.

Tell the landlord about the dog, but also tell the landlord about how you don't want to make enemies out of the neighbors, so could he at least *try* to make a way to "find out" about the dog some other way than you telling him.

Worth a shot.

That's what I've been thinking. Ugh, this whole thing just sucks. I don't want to be a nagging tattletale, but at the same time I don't want dd to never be able to play in the yard again, either.

Oooh. Tough one, but liability wise, I would tell the landlord. That seems like a dealbreaker situation w/ kids unsupervised.

Yes, as a landlord, I BEG YOU to tell the landlord! If he drafted his Lease properly, this will be a violation of his Lease to bring in a pet. Also, many companies will cancel property insurance if a bully breed or one on the "dangerous breed list" (which can vary among companies) is harbored on the property. Additionally, the landlord can be sued if any incident occurs on the property.

I'd want to know so I could keep a watch on the property, as I will evict for violations. Of course, the kid could just be wishing for a pit bull and just blabbering.

Tell the landlord. Verbally, so he doesn't send your email on to the tenant and cause trouble.

I would approach the mom and ask if this is true and then tell her that you'll be obligated to report the dog to the landlord. To heck with the aggressive factor if she truly works a lot, then this isn't the right time for a dog unless she had a great pet sitter set up.

But I find that unlikely since she's trying to SNEAK a pitbull in.

Good idea but I wouldn't go so far as to tell the mom you will report her to the landlord unless you want WW III at the property.

I'd just casually see if she confirms the idea she is going to sneak in a dog and then proceed with the landlord from that point and ask him to independently verify rather than pointing to you as the source, for your protection.

My question is where the dog going to potty if no one is home for long periods of time and they presumably can't leave it with free access to the yard due to the landlord issue.

Chavez (our old pitbull) would be left at home from 7 am to 5-6pm and never had an accident. He was an adult by the time that I started dating DH, so I don't know about him as a puppy (other than his love of couch cushions!). Pitbulls are good apartment animals as long as they are walked daily. Chavez had NO desire to be outside unless we were there too.

Edited by MHowell
Spelling error

You could play dumb and call and ask if the lease has changed to allow dogs, as it seems your neighbor is getting one. ;)

I also agree from a insurance standpoint, some companies have exemptions on "aggressive" breed dogs.

That's a good idea too...playing dumb! You could just ask that question, mentioning that all kids seem to like dogs but you had thought they were prohibited by the terms of the Lease and you wouldn't ever want to do anything that was prohibited. Gets the point across. The landlord confirms that they are indeed prohibited; you thank him, agreeing that it is a bad idea in a house with young children and a shared yard and it is better that the kids can play in a clean yard. You mention that you certainly didn't want to cause any trouble, so could he just independently verify without mentioning your call so the other tenant doesn't get mad at you, and off he goes. Should work great. I know I would do everything to protect a tenant who gave me information.

You could play dumb and call and ask if the lease has changed to allow dogs, as it seems your neighbor is getting one. ;)

I also agree from a insurance standpoint, some companies have exemptions on "aggressive" breed dogs.

I like this idea! "Mr. Landlord, we're so happy you're now allowing dogs! Do we need to sign new papers or anything before we get our dog? What? No dogs allowed?!? I'm sure glad I asked".

They'll smoke in their unit. It's a non-smoking building, and they are aware that dd gets violently sick if we get any smoke in our unit. (Last time someone smoked down there and it came up the vents, dd ended up in the ER with an irregular heartbeat.) The mom is a smoker, and I had to beg to get her to smoke outside initially (even though it's in the lease not to). If I do this, I can pretty much guarantee she'll start lighting up inside when she is home to get back at us.

There are a lot of great things about renting, and we love our unit, but sometimes it is a huge pain in the @ss. :glare:

the fact she is smoking in a non-smoking building should be reported to the landlord, and if no satisfaction, then to the landlords boss (is the landlord the owner or property manager?) to the owner, then government housing authority that regulates such things.

Tell the landlord about the dog, but also tell the landlord about how you don't want to make enemies out of the neighbors, so could he at least *try* to make a way to "find out" about the dog some other way than you telling him.

Worth a shot.

:iagree: We own a business that essentially makes us landlords. I would absolutely do everything in my power to protect the source. We understand you don't want to live next to someone you're battling and appreciate that you're letting us know when someone is breaking a rental agreement.

YES. I most frequently hear the argument that "my pitbull will lick you to death". While that may be true, it doesn't make my insurance premiums go down if one is caught on my property. This is a serious issue for business owners.

I love pit bulls and I would get one if I could (but I choose to foster kiddos at this time instead).

What *I* would do is go and talk to the mom. I would be upfront with her so as to HOPEFULLY prevent them from bringing the dog home in the first place. Just simply saying that the kids were all talking about how neat it would be to get a dog and Riley said that y'all were getting one. I just wanted to let you know in case you hear it also. Since this is a no-dog rental, we are NOT getting the poodle my own daughter wants! <chuckle>

Something like that. I'd keep it really light, but clear that you know the rules and won't be breaking them even for your daughter.

Thanks so much for all the replies- you guys have given me a lot to think about.

I think I'm going to wait until after they get the dog and then casually mention to my landlord that since he apparently changed the policy, we'll be getting one too. (I wish we could, actually- I'd love to get a little lapdog. :tongue_smilie:) I wish there was some way for me to let him know before they get it to spare them the trouble, but I just can't figure out how to do it without ending up the victim of her retaliation, and I need to protect my dd first and foremost.

Thanks again for the insights, everyone. :001_smile:

I totally understand the fear of smoking neighbors. If they bring the dog home, it is going to bark. Call and ask the landlord to come over for some reason when the dog is there, so he will hear it barking. Let him know that it's really important that the neighbors do not know you were involved with him finding out about the dog.

Just go to your neighbor and ask if what the kid said is true. Then remind her of the rules, then tell her you'll be telling the landlord the minute the dog shows up.

I dont see what all the angst is about.

Because to many people "them's fightin' words". It starts a spate of nasty retaliation. OP is wise to go to the landlord instead of the neighbour. Neighbour already smokes in a non-smoking building even after knowing that OP's dd is allergic to it.

I would absolutely NOT say anything to the mom. If this were a normal "let's get along/wants to do the right thing" sort, then yes, but clearly she is not.

I would speak to the landlord. When we lived in a different apartment complex our upstairs neighbors got a dog that barked for hours a day. :glare: The complex did not allow pets and after hearing the dog bark for such long periods I called the property manager. She was awesome and told me that she thought she had seen the neighbors out walking a dog and I confirmed her suspicions. Our property manager told me she would leave us out of the conversation and say that she had seen the neighbors outside with a dog and needed to do an inspection (which was true). I would stress to your landlord to try to leave you out of it. Maybe the landlord drives by and sees a dog in the yard and decides to inspect the duplex because of that.

And be familiar with the dog laws in your area so you could call animal control. If it is running through the neighborhood then any neighbor could have called as far as the dog owner knows.

Because to many people "them's fightin' words". It starts a spate of nasty retaliation. OP is wise to go to the landlord instead of the neighbour. Neighbour already smokes in a non-smoking building even after knowing that OP's dd is allergic to it.

I would absolutely NOT say anything to the mom. If this were a normal "let's get along/wants to do the right thing" sort, then yes, but clearly she is not.

:iagree:

Ugh.:grouphug:

I always try to use the you catch more flies with honey approach first.

Talk you your neighbor and ask her is she is really planning on getting a pitbull. It sounds like you share a yard, so ask what her plan is for dog mess. Also ask if she would consider a different dog since she won't be home much. Maybe a la or a golden retriever. Open up the dialog and ask to discuss the situation, especially if it will be using the outdoor space which you have equal right too.

If that blows up and doesn't work. I would have talk to the landlord, not specifics, but maybe that he should come around and keep an eye on the property. Gutters, siding, roof, does painting need to happen etc... Let him know that he might want to look at some new tenants downstairs as you don't think the current ones are treating his property well.

She's 8. No, she was pretty sure about it. She knew all the details- that it's a younger dog, that they're bringing it home Saturday.

If you are dreading them knowing, wait until dog shows up and shows its nose out the door. Then tell. It could be any neighbor, from one whose lawn is pooped on, to the dog-hater down the street, to the next door neighbor who can't stand barking, etc. They need never know it was you.

Oh, I guess I missed the part where she's already scared of her neighbor.

Then you tell the landlord that too. He will be able to smell it when he comes in the home. Hold him acountable for what is in HIS lease. You have the right to expect a smoke free building because that it what you signed in the lease too. I would even mention medical bills etc.

As far as the dog is concerned i would not mention a thing until that dog is in the house. If you say it before the dog is there and he checks the woman could act innocent and say no dog etc. BUT once that dog is there it will be had to hide it.

I always try to use the you catch more flies with honey approach first.

Talk you your neighbor and ask her is she is really planning on getting a pitbull. It sounds like you share a yard, so ask what her plan is for dog mess. Also ask if she would consider a different dog since she won't be home much. Maybe a la or a golden retriever. Open up the dialog and ask to discuss the situation, especially if it will be using the outdoor space which you have equal right too.

If that blows up and doesn't work. I would have talk to the landlord, not specifics, but maybe that he should come around and keep an eye on the property. Gutters, siding, roof, does painting need to happen etc... Let him know that he might want to look at some new tenants downstairs as you don't think the current ones are treating his property well.

No way, I would not be asking if they would get a different kind of dog. :confused: Go ahead and break the rules as long as you do it the way I want you to??

I have my reasons for not liking pit bulls but ANY kind of dog with limited to no supervision is a recipe for disaster. As much as I love my labs and could tell people they'll only "lick you to death" I really don't know if that would be true if they felt threatened, or if we weren't around.

Edited by Momto4kids
whoops forgot to finish a sentence!

I think I would first verify this with the parents of the girl. Kids sometimes like to exaggerate or toss out fantasies like "we're getting a new dog" or "my mom is having triplets" or "next year, we're moving to Baffin Island."

So, before anything, I think I'd want to clarify if this is even the truth or not. If you know them well enough, I'd express my concerns (maybe they haven't thought through the potential dangers, maybe they don't know you can't have dogs there?). If it is the truth and they actually go through with getting the dog, I'd call the landlord straight away.

I wish there was some way for me to let him know before they get it to spare them the trouble, but I just can't figure out how to do it without ending up the victim of her retaliation, and I need to protect my dd first and foremost.

Sorry, but the bolded sounds rather silly in light of the situation. This tenant has no regard for the stipulations of the lease, no regard for your dd's health regarding second-hand smoke, no regard for your family's safety and comfortable shared-use of the property regarding the dog, and you are still worried about "sparing them trouble"? :confused:

You have to do what is best for your family, which is keeping a dog off the property while preserving a civil relationship with your neighbor. IMO, this means waiting until the dog actually arrives (and if their dd is imagining the whole thing, you won't have opened a can of worms for nothing), and then finding a way for the landlord to "find out".

Best of luck. What a nightmare.

As a landlord, please, please, PLEASE inform the landlord about the dog. Wait until it actually shows up for confirmation, but please tell him.

Just be upfront about it. Telling your landlord that you're thinking of getting a dog because the policy has changed might backfire on you. He might be worried about losing not one, but two tenants to the issue and just give you the go ahead to get your own dog.

Animals, dogs in particular, ruin rental units. Not only that, but if someone heaven forbid gets hurt by the dog, he could be in a world of trouble.

I think you're 100% validated in your concerns. I know powerful breed dogs get a bad rap and most folks who own and love them will tell you that they wouldn't hurt a fly. It doesn't change the fact that I personally know two families, one whose young son was killed by a neighbor's pit bull and my aunt who lost an arm due to an attack from her own rotweiller whose situations would have been drastically different if the attacking dog wasn't a powerful breed dog. In the case of the young boy the mother wasn't able to physically remove the dog from her son....I can assure you that if the dog had been a less powerful breed she would have been able to.

I would never let my children play at someone's home who owned one of these powerful breeds and I would be horrified to find one was living upstairs from me.

Once again, tell the landlord.