Menu

Ok, bibliophiles: What books did YOU get for Christmas?

So, what books did you get for yourself (or buy w/ bookstore gift cards you got)???

:lurk5:

Here's what I got:

The Complete Works of Marvin K. Mooney by Christopher Higgs

Mozart's Last Aria by Matt Rees

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures by Walter Moers

The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

I got a Kindle Touch!! So far, I have downloaded a number of free books from Amazon, including:

Pride and Prejudice

The Scarlet Letter

The Last of the Mohicans

Paradise Lost

Wives and Daughters

North and South

Jane Eyre

Anna Karenina

Common Sense

Uncle Tom's Cabin

I'm still browsing for more! :D

For $1.99, I also bought Half the Church by my friend Carolyn.

Wendi

None. :001_huh:

Christmas night, I kept wandering around the house, looking for a new book to read, when it dawned on me this is the first Christmas I didn't receive a single book.

DH says I'm hard to shop for, but I had told him to look at my Amazon wish list. It is only 30 some pages long. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear that some of you didn't get books! :001_huh: (Maybe you need to treat yourself to a New Year's book or two. :D)

I usually don't ask for books because I use the library all the time. But, this year, I had some books I either couldn't get through the library or that I knew I wanted to have my own copy (at least for a bit), so I actually put some on my list. Dh & my mil got me the books. Mil also gave me the annual fee I pay to use a nearby library system (which is much better than my county's library system). I'm super excited about that as my membership there was getting ready to expire!

I didn't get many, either, which kind of bums me out a little. I was carefully dropping hints about the new Infernal Devices volume, but apparently no one noticed.

I did get this one: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hunger-games-companion-lois-h-gresh/1100849758?ean=9780312617936&itm=5&usri=guide+to+the+hunger+games

I've just dipped into it a little bit, but it looks cool.

And I got the 30 Rock music set, which comes with a nice booklet.

That was it, sadly. I'm thinking I'm ready to cash in those MyPoints rewards that weren't posted in time to use them to shop for other people and snag a B&N gift card so I can buy a couple of things for myself.

I got a BN gift card, which I SO WAITING/WANTING to use....but....

after I got my Nook Tablet, I rooted it to keep BN from doing their janky upgrade, and while I protected my Nook from BN, I also lost the ability to get books from them :001_huh: SO, for the time being I can only download Kindle books. Last night I got The Odyssey and a few other freebies. Woot!

Of course, it wouldn't kill me to walk into Barnes & Noble and buy a hard copy...or two....

From Aunt M-mv:

The Irresistible Henry House (Lisa Grunwald)

The Magicians (Lev Grossman)

Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings (Alison Weir)

And from the wonderful Mr. M-mv:

The three-volume, hardcover edition of The Complete Letters of Vincent Van Gogh

The Iliad (translated by Stephen Mitchell)

An iPad (a bookish treat, right?)

And this little fella:

Dh got me my own copy of TWTM. He thought it was scandalous that I was still checking it out from the library - over and over and over. . . :D

Nice!

Mine is always within reach.

My ds got a Kindle Touch, and I have to say I like my Nook better. I like the controls, settings, and menu options better. Now I wish I had told my mom to get my sister a Nook instead of a Kindle.

Dh got me my own copy of TWTM. He thought it was scandalous that I was still checking it out from the library - over and over and over. . . :D

You mean you don't own all 3 editions?!?!? For shame!!!!!;)

I got, "Fool," by Christopher Moore and, "Blood and Thunder," by Hampton Sides. Both from my Dad, who also bought me a Kindle Fire. :lol: He and I are alike. We like our e-readers, and they suit their purposes, but there will never be any substitute for holding a good book.

From Dh...

Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir

Quarrel with the King: the Story of an english Family on the High Road to Civil War by Adam Nicolson

From Dd..

The Good Treats Cookbook for Dogs by Barbara Burg

picked up for myself while shopping....

squirrel seeks chipmunk by david sedaris - looks sort of like a somewhat twisted Beatrix Potter view of modern life through the eyes of animal characters. Definitely not for kids. Some pretty harsh reviews on amazon, but I couldn't resist. Hope I don't regret it!

All I got from hubby and son were books. :001_smile:

1. Around the World with Auntie Mame - Patrick Dennis
  2. Inheritance - Christopher Paolini
  3. Voyager - Diana Gabaldon
  4. The Vendetta Defense - Lisa Scottoline
  5. Dead Ringer - Lisa Scottoline
  6. The Art of War - Sun Tzu (it was on the list to buy for him and he got it for me instead. We'll both be reading it)
  7. Thicker Than Blood - C.J. Darlington
  8. 5 Conversations You must have with you son - Vicki Courtney
  9. The Family Tree Problem Solver - Marsha Hoffman Rising (Genealogy book from my sister in Law)

I gave myself a few ebooks:

1. The Mortal Bone (#4 Hunter Kiss Series) - Marjorie Liu (released today - Yeah)
  2. Spirit Bound (# 2 Sister Sea Haven series) - Christine Feehan (released today - Yeah)
  3. Kitty and the Midnight Hour (#1 Kitty Norville series) - Carrie Vaughn
  4. The Scent of Shadows (#1 Signs of the Zodiac series) - Vicki Petterrson

Enough reads to keep me busy for a while. As of the first, I'm going on a 6 month book buying ban and going to concentrate on the books in my TBR. Wish me luck. It's so easy with the ereader to see it, buy it.

None. :001_huh:

Christmas night, I kept wandering around the house, looking for a new book to read, when it dawned on me this is the first Christmas I didn't receive a single book.

DH says I'm hard to shop for, but I had told him to look at my Amazon wish list. It is only 30 some pages long. :lol:

Aw! Buy yourself a few from him. 30 pages is just too overwhelming for a man don't you know. :) That's what I did with my son. We went online and I let him pick from my list. :tongue_smilie:

I received a Barnes & Noble gift card and will probably get another one from my dad this weekend. I plan to buy the paperback boxed set of Harry Potter. I've actually never read them.

I did run out to Target for clearance wrapping paper and picked up 2 books since I forgot to bring one to MIL's with me. The Unquiet - a short story collection with the main one being JD Robb, and Full Dark, No Stars - a short story collection by Stephen King.

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

This is on my wish list.

My new rule/guideline: Check my long amazon wish list every morning with my green tea. When a book is very low (as in this morning, when a book dropped to $1.99), to grab it if I can.

I'm embarrassed to list all the books I got. I console myself that we don't have a library here, so I have no choice. Many of these were recommended here on these forums.

Raquel: Beyond the Cleavage - currently reading - good beauty and fitness tips, but otherwise, fluff reading, which I need at the moment.

Lessons from the Mountain by the middle girl who was in The Waltons

Lessons-from-the-Mtn.1-206x300-150x150.jpg&w=150&h=150&zc=1

Garden Spell

Let the Great World Spin

The Sugar Queen

Slaughterhouse Five

Ella Minnow Pea

AAAADFCpmVQAAAAAALJTPQ.jpg

Mary: Mrs. Lincoln

Fair Game because I loved the movie

valerie_plame_fair_game.jpg?w=150&h=150

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons

The Top Five Regrets of the Dying

Fall of Giants

The Thirty-Nine Steps

Jane Eyre - will be a re-read

The Hangman's Daughter

116790.jpg

Sold

Five Conversations You Must Have with your Daughter

Dear Fatty by Dawn French, whom dh and I really love :)

AAAAC9UNQ2cAAAAAAMmqSg.jpg?v=1273714836000

Life Recipes From My Mother: Timeless Lessons for Living a Contented Life

Prisoner of Our Thoughts

When She Woke

Murder in the Marais: An Aimee Leduc Investigation, Vol. 1

The 13th Hour

The Rule of Four

The Orchard: A Memoir

31kySi-g5lL-thumb-150x150.png

I did not get any books for Christmas. But I also recently downloaded some free ones from Amazon. That's ok, I have plenty of library books.

Books I bought for other people in my family:

Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare

Boxcar Children Snowbound Mystery

The Three Investigators and the Sinister Scarecrow

How To Make Friends and Influence People

Billy Joel's Note for Note Keyboard book

Book Lover's Guide to Great Reading: A Guided Tour of Classic & Contempory Literature, by Terry W. Glaspey

One Yard Wonders, by Rebecca Yaker & Patricia Hoskins

Pilgrimage by Annie Leibovitz (A great read for American history/art/literature buffs, not just for lovers of Ms. Leibovitz's photography.)

And.... ummmm.... I feel a B&N bookstore immersion with a side of coffee approaching before 2012 arrives. :D

A few of the books I purchased for family presents:

A couple hc Tin Tin books

Amphigorey , & The Blue Aspic, by Edward Gorey

Guinness Book of World Records 2012 (kid's big hc version)

Steve Job's biography

a couple of graphic design magazines

*several first edition, excellent condition Irving Stone's biographical fiction books - about Andrew and Rachel Jackson, John and Jessie Fremont, John and Abigail Adams and others. I love his work!

*Lots and lots of Amazon gift cards :). My bday is in December too - all of my extended family knows they are subsidizing our homeschooling!

I am so thankful for an Amazon wishlist, and even more thankful for the sibling who used it!

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Between this and The Children's Book by AS Byatt (which I'm reading right now) I'm going to have a good Edwardian buzz soon.

Gourmet Game Night (which was actually an entry for my husband but that's ok).

Cooks Illustrated Cookbook by America's Test Kitchen, even my brother thought this looked good.

Backyard Fruits and Berries for my gardening obsession.

And Dean picked up A Passion for Desserts at Goodwill for me.

I also got the new Ticket to Ride Asia and Dixit Odyssey (board games).

I received a Barnes & Noble gift card and will probably get another one from my dad this weekend. I plan to buy the paperback boxed set of Harry Potter. I've actually never read them.

QUOTE]

So once you crack those open, we won't be seeing you here for awhile. :lol:

And her writing just gets better and better as the books go on!

I got Crossed (the sequel to Matched), The Robe by Lloyd C Douglas, The Power of Babel (on the history of language), The Apostolic Fathers (early church writings), Augustine's Confessions, On The Incarnation by St. Athanasius, Climbing Parnassus, and two super cute Penguin Classics: The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Oh! And The Princess Bride.

The people in my life all know I love books. :D. I still haven't read all the books I got last Christmas. :001_huh::blushing::blushing::blushing: