Menu

Little girl kidnapped from bedroom.

Crazy story that happened about 1/2 mile from where we are right now. We saw the helicopters hovering around the neighborhood where it happened on Friday.

I'll link the story, but basically the parents had a party, the little girl went to bed, the parents checked on her when they went to bed, but in the morning she was gone. At 11:30am, a man dropped her off at the police station and tried to run. They caught and arrested him. He was a close neighbor who had been at the party the night before - he went home, but came back at some point in the night and took her.

He's in jail with no bond. Dh thinks that is really for his own protection - they couldn't let him out so that he could go back home (right by the girl's house.) He figures the Dad would go after him, because he knows he would.:glare:

Girl Kidnapped

There are a multitude of stories local to here. One story mentioned the parents facing charges, but no one else has reported that.

It just reinforces the fact that children are more in danger from people you know than the stranger on the street. This was a neighbor who came to the Christmas party and left. Being there gave him knowledge of the layout of the house. It's possible the girl didn't scream and wake her parents because she knew him.

Scary. Terrible for the little girl. Terrible for the parents.

that's SO scary. I get weary because boys have taken notice of dd12 since she was very young. Her bedroom and garage were added after the house was first built, so you have to walk through the corner of our bedroom to access her bedroom. We always had planned to change the access point when she got older, but since there was a break-in and murder a few years back, fairly close, one where the attackers tried to kill the 11 year old girl, too, and came pretty darned close, but did succeed in killing the mother, dh and I have decided that we really like our current layout. We like that nobody can get to her without going through our room first. And now we have a guard dog that will sleep on the floor by her door when he's a little older.

dd8 has an alarm on her door. If anyone opens it, we will hear it. It's only a few feet from our master bathroom. The dog will just be feet from her as well.

I hate that we have to think about these things, but we do. Our lives were forever changed with the break-in and murder in a small town in NH. 4 teenage thugs wanted to know what it would "feel like" to kill someone. I think they need to know what it feels like to have that same thing happen to them, but they have rights, you know. :angry:

I can't even imagine. How awful. How wonderful that he dropped her off at the police station rather than killing her, which seems to be how these things often end. Very very wonderful. But that poor child and the hideous things that happened to her. I simply can't imagine.

That was my reaction to - it's a miracle that he didn't kill her when he realized he was in trouble. I wonder if someone in the neighborhood tipped him off that they were looking for him and that is why he dropped her off (hoping to get away.)

Yes, this will ruin the poor girl's life. She will never, never get over this. Sometimes I wish we had vigilante justice in this country, because this girl's parents and neighbors would (I'm sure) do a great job of giving her kidnapper the punishment he richly deserves.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I will always wonder, and never know, exactly what happened to my dd8 when she was in her orphanage in China, the one who left the babies alone all night long, unattended. The orphanage that shared a building with an adult institution. :svengo: I will never know why she has so many fears at night. She was only a baby. She will be 9 soon, and those fears are usually not an issue unless she's upset, but they are always there.

The poor girl in this story will never forget what happened to her.

I'm relieved that he didn't kill her. What a horrible experience for the little girl and her whole family. I typically am a forgiving person, but I can't find any understanding for those who commit these types of crimes.

I hope this family finds peace this holiday season and healing. :(

...Our lives were forever changed with the break-in and murder in a small town in NH. 4 teenage thugs wanted to know what it would "feel like" to kill someone. I think they need to know what it feels like to have that same thing happen to them, but they have rights, you know. :angry:

I know the story you're talking about and my blood boils whenever I think of it.

That's the kind I think should be exterminated immediately.

But tortured first. Ahem. This is the part where I explain that although I am a Christian, I would be metering out hardcore punishment in these cases instead of turning the other cheek. I.cannot.stand.this. Perhaps I am a bad Christian in this aspect, BUT I JUST CAN'T STAND IT.

A similar situation occurred near where I live except the child wasn't kidnapped. The parents were having a summer party and a neighbor bought a friend. The "friend" snuck in the house and raped the homeowners little girl and was found by the mother hiding under the child's bed when she went to check on the child. He was arrested and is now serving considerable jail time. The family has since dedicated themselves to developing a foundation using equine therapy to assist children who have been through traumatic experiences.

Warning.

Don't click on the link to the Smyrna beach story. A story of a 9 month old raped.

I'm with remudamom.

That's the second story this week! There was a nine month old baby raped locally late last month. She has severe internal injuries and needed emergency surgery to save her life. :mad:

Oh my. I'm surprised he didn't kill her. There is that to be thankful for, I guess.

Now that my son is old enough to comprehend things like this is the news, he has taken to pleading to sleep in my room, even in a sleeping bag on the floor, even thought our rooms are 20 feet apart and both doors open.

I'm not sure - I think it might have been bad reporting. I just pointed it out in case someone googled and found that particular story.

My guess would be there were drugs in the house and at the party, since the parents' "guest" has a long history of drug arrests and was currently on probation for a drug related crime, according to the article.

It is incredible that he didn't kill her-- does FL have a death penalty? Maybe he knew that he was doomed to jail either way but wanted to avoid execution.

Stories like this make my inner liberal hippy die. :(

But this quote really got me: "Maxwell lives in a home near the girl's family in the quiet Brandy Hills neighborhood. At Maxwell's house, the Nativity -- Mary and Joseph, and the three wise kings -- adorned the yard..."

So on his way to rape a child, he passed the baby Jesus and did what?? If you can rape a child, why do you have the nativity on your front yard?? WTH???

Our area lost a baby this summer to sexual violence by her father. She was a First Nations baby though and her father met a different kind of justice that we're used to. I don't exactly mourn him.

The problem with this sort of crime is that there's no appropriate punishment. Even torture wouldn't really balance the scales. I'd be in favor of either a death sentence or vigilante justice. What amazes me is that these monsters are not to death, or given a life sentence with no possibility of early release. There's simply no good side to letting them free; even chemical castration doesn't reliably work with them. This person will probably get some time in prison, then be released within his lifetime.

My guess would be there were drugs in the house and at the party, since the parents' "guest" has a long history of drug arrests and was currently on probation for a drug related crime, according to the article.

It is incredible that he didn't kill her-- does FL have a death penalty? Maybe he knew that he was doomed to jail either way but wanted to avoid execution.

In this area, people possessing/using marijuana is pretty mainstream. I even have a couple of family members with "drug-related" convictions, so you are likely right.

just one more reason my boys are still in MY ROOM -- yes at 4 and 6 ....

Patty Glass was, what, 8 when she was taken from her room?

We're at 6 and 7 and the kids have no plans of leaving anytime soon. :D

I'm hoping high school at this point...

But stories like this make me very grateful for a family bedroom, complete with DS wrapped around a 120 pound guard dog.

The problem with this sort of crime is that there's no appropriate punishment. Even torture wouldn't really balance the scales. I'd be in favor of either a death sentence or vigilante justice. What amazes me is that these monsters are not to death, or given a life sentence with no possibility of early release. There's simply no good side to letting them free; even chemical castration doesn't reliably work with them. This person will probably get some time in prison, then be released within his lifetime.

If these kinds of crimes had the punishment of death, or life in jail without any possibility of parole.......it seems that it would make these sickos think twice before doing this. In the Bible it was eye for an eye.

If these kinds of crimes had the punishment of death, or life in jail without any possibility of parole.......it seems that it would make these sickos think twice before doing this. In the Bible it was eye for an eye.

I think the point we're missing... is that true sickos don't really "think." That assumes impulse control. I believe two things about people who fall into this category:

1) They do not have impulse control...

2) They have something wrong with them that has them believing what they are doing is okay on some level. That they either believe they are showing love to these children... or they live for their own lusts and have no care about anyone else at. all (the second category is it's own special evil)

I think the point we're missing... is that true sickos don't really "think." That assumes impulse control. I believe two things about people who fall into this category:

2) They have something wrong with them that has them believing what they are doing is okay on some level. That they either believe they are showing love to these children... or they live for their own lusts and have no care about anyone else at. all (the second category is it's own special evil)

Lisa, ITA with you. The problem with the really, really bad people is that the death penalty doesn't deter them. They're not going to stop and say, "Hey, I'm not goping to rape that boy because the cops will get me!" I think once you get to the point where you start with, "Hey, I'm going to rape that boy..." it's too late. You've already lost the humanity game. :(

It's it awful that we're grateful this monster didn't kill the girl? Yuck.

This is where my inner hippie dies. If I were this girl's parents, I would want to be able to cut this man apart with a dull kitchen knife untill he was in the shape of a pile of tofu cubes. I am beginning to think we should just give a one time pass to parents of children who are abused like this. And that makes me slightly nauseous, probably less nauseous than this family is right now. :(

Yes. No matter what penalty you put on it, being ripped apart by wild dogs or anything, sickos like this will keep doing what they're doing. They'll just get better about covering it up afterwards.

I see no problem, btw, with life in prison to keep the rest safe for crimes like this. I just don't think any deterrent will be strong enough.

Lisa, ITA with you. The problem with the really, really bad people is that the death penalty doesn't deter them. They're not going to stop and say, "Hey, I'm not goping to rape that boy because the cops will get me!" I think once you get to the point where you start with, "Hey, I'm going to rape that boy..." it's too late. You've already lost the humanity game. :(

It's it awful that we're grateful this monster didn't kill the girl? Yuck.

This is where my inner hippie dies. If I were this girl's parents, I would want to be able to cut this man apart with a dull kitchen knife untill he was in the shape of a pile of tofu cubes. I am beginning to think we should just give a one time pass to parents of children who are abused like this. And that makes me slightly nauseous, probably less nauseous than this family is right now. :(

Yes, I agree. With everything.

We're at 6 and 7 and the kids have no plans of leaving anytime soon. :D

I'm hoping high school at this point...

But stories like this make me very grateful for a family bedroom, complete with DS wrapped around a 120 pound guard dog.

110 pound dog at teh top of our stairs!

dangers are every all over the place -- you can NOT let your gurad dovn

When a stranger comes to the yard or door and my dogs go nuts, I don't let the children correct the dogs. If they start telling the dogs to hush before knowing the intent of the visitor (younger children are not permitted to open the door, only adults), I remind the children that the dog have a job, and they are doing it.

Just a note on the "party". What we think of as a Christmas party may not have been what was going on there. From my time in children's mental health, what is conjured up in my mind is a big drunken adult party with no thought for kids. People (usually alcoholics) who have long drinking parties while children are in the home (even if they are "in bed") are putting their children at high risk of sexual abuse by drunken attenders. This increases even more if partiers are allowed to "crash" at the house. Because the parents are also smashed, whatever normal protective functions they may have performed are absent. These type of parents are also not particularly protective in the first place.

Of course, I have no info about what this particular party was like and perhaps it was like a Christmas party that we all might conjure up and it is just a horror that a guest came back and harmed the girl. But if it was like the kind I was aware of, the harm is predictable--the only difference is that it occurred outside the home rather than inside it.

Just a note on the "party". What we think of as a Christmas party may not have been what was going on there. From my time in children's mental health, what is conjured up in my mind is a big drunken adult party with no thought for kids. People (usually alcoholics) who have long drinking parties while children are in the home (even if they are "in bed") are putting their children at high risk of sexual abuse by drunken attenders. This increases even more if partiers are allowed to "crash" at the house. Because the parents are also smashed, whatever normal protective functions they may have performed are absent. These type of parents are also not particularly protective in the first place.

Of course, I have no info about what this particular party was like and perhaps it was like a Christmas party that we all might conjure up and it is just a horror that a guest came back and harmed the girl. But if it was like the kind I was aware of, the harm is predictable--the only difference is that it occurred outside the home rather than inside it.

You're probably right. I host most of DH's work parties - we're doing our winter one in January this year - and no one comes to the party who looks like this piece of $#@!$#@. No drugs. Some regional wine. But everyone stays sober and the kids all play in the basement or outside by the bonfire and the sledding hills. This probably wasn't a "party" with Chex Mix and all...