Menu

Mythbuster spinoff - what if it were your house?

If the Mythbuster Cannonball had hit Your House?  

1. 1. If the Mythbuster Cannonball had hit Your House?

• I'd be angry just like the people from the house it hit. Possible lawsuit pending.
    • I'd be angry, but no lawsuit. Accidents happen and they're fixing it. No TV.
    • Well, it's done. No one got hurt. They're fixing it. My house can be on TV! Might as well enjoy it!
    • Other

It would depend upon the actual damage. If the cannonball ruined things that couldn't be replaced (like old home videos), I would be seriously ticked. If it just damaged the house, I would go with the flow and be happy they were gonna fix it. I can't imagine a lawsuit over it though.

Now, if the show had a history of things like this, it might affect my feelings. But, in this case, as long as they fix everything, I'd be fine. Definitely no lawsuit.

:iagree: This is me too. I'd also want to keep the cannonball... and would enjoy the episode where this myth occurred (seeing my house as an example of WHY to be more careful than one ever expects).

If I thought they had purposely done something trying for a publicity stunt, my feelings would change, but I just don't see that here.

If it were our house, we would all be super excited that we get to meet the Mythbusters crew! We would expect them to pay for all damages and put us up somewhere if needed while work was done. I'd also love to keep the cannonball as a souvenir. :)

:iagree:

And I would add a stipulation, I get to shoot the next cannonball.

The reason that punitive lawsuits exist is so that people/companies are more careful and take better precautions. It is great that nobody was hurt, but they were *extremely lucky* that nobody was hurt. I would be absolutely furious that they endangered my family.

What if it hadn't been Mythbusters? What if it was the wealthy neighborhood loony? Would it still be cool.....since no one was hurt?

It would depend upon the actual damage. If the cannonball ruined things that couldn't be replaced (like old home videos), I would be seriously ticked. If it just damaged the house, I would go with the flow and be happy they were gonna fix it. I can't imagine a lawsuit over it though.

For the record, this doesn't fit with the definition of accident that I use with my kids.

You are walking, you trip and break a vase. That is an accident.

We have a rule against throwing a ball in the house because of the possible consequences. You are throwing a ball in the house and break a vase? Not an accident.

I don't find their safety precautions acceptable unless they were at an *artillery range* versus a firing range. I can drive past a firing range any day of the week. Nobody is allowed within a certain perimeter of an artillery range. They have very different rules.

The reason that punitive lawsuits exist is so that people/companies are more careful and take better precautions. It is great that nobody was hurt, but they were *extremely lucky* that nobody was hurt. I would be absolutely furious that they endangered my family.

Did you look at photo 14 from the article - the pathmap of the cannonball?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2011/12/08/BAN31M9Q81.DTL&object=%2Fc%2Fpictures%2F2011%2F12%2F07%2Fba-cannonball120_SFCG1323309495.jpg

They took precautions. The article says even the Alameda County Sheriffs Dept was surprised at what happened.

I don't see where this was a lack of precautions personally. Had they fired the cannonball from their workshop I can see a serious lapse of judgment.

I think everyone is glad that no one was hurt.

Did you look at photo 14 from the article - the pathmap of the cannonball?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2011/12/08/BAN31M9Q81.DTL&object=%2Fc%2Fpictures%2F2011%2F12%2F07%2Fba-cannonball120_SFCG1323309495.jpg

They took precautions. The article says even the Alameda County Sheriffs Dept was surprised at what happened.

I don't see where this was a lack of precautions personally. Had they fired the cannonball from their workshop I can see a serious lapse of judgment.

I think everyone is glad that no one was hurt.

Did they consult anyone with experience at firing a cannon? Did they consult military rules regarding artillery in relation to civilian populations? These may be unknown factors to the Sheriff's office, but that doesn't make them unknown factors.

I'd be livid. Someone could have been KILLED!

I imagine that husband is having somewhat frequent visions of that cannon - which had enough for to hit a hill, bound off a street, go through a door and two walls, bounce off a roof, and go through a car roof - flying over his sleeping wife and infant as they napped.

Makes me a bit angry and sick to my stomach too!

Because the ONLY reason his wife and or infant aren't dead is because they were laying down. Scary how incredibly lucky they were.

So no. I wouldn't think it fun at all.

It looks like the home will be redone. And probably living expenses where that's in process will be covered. I would expect policy changes for the city as well as MB. And likely a settlement for the injured people for their scare and major inconvience.

Unless the families are nuts in what they expect, I think MB will do the above without litigation.

:What if it hadn't been Mythbusters? What if it was the wealthy neighborhood loony? Would it still be cool.....since no one was hurt?

Exactly, I guess I am not easily starstruck. I definitely would NOT find it cool or amusing to have my house hit by artillery, no matter who was firing it! I can hear artillery fire from where I sit. That could affect my perception.

I imagine that husband is having somewhat frequent visions of that cannon - which had enough for to hit a hill, bound off a street, go through a door and two walls, bounce off a roof, and go through a car roof - flying over his sleeping wife and infant as they napped.

Makes me a bit angry and sick to my stomach too!

Because the ONLY reason his wife and or infant aren't dead is because they were laying down. Scary how incredibly lucky they were.

So no. I wouldn't think it fun at all.

It looks like the home will be redone. And probably living expenses where that's in process will be covered. I would expect policy changes for the city as well as MB. And likely a settlement for the injured people for their scare and major inconvience.

Unless the families are nuts in what they expect, I think MB will do the above without litigation.

I totally agree.

I would probably be pretty ticked at first. Then when the realization that it was property damage only and no one was injured I'd be not quite so angry. Then in a day or two it would be funny and as long as all damages were repaired I'd be okay without legal action.

I voted no lawsuit, but I would want to know what they planned on doing to avoid future possible harm to the public.

:iagree: I am in the "lawsuit pending" group. A CANNONBALL?! I can't imagine if that had hit one of my children. Just the thought that someone put my family in harm's way like that warrants a trip to the lawyer's office IMO.

Now, if the show had a history of things like this, it might affect my feelings. But, in this case, as long as they fix everything, I'd be fine. Definitely no lawsuit.

I agree.

I would demand, though, that they accept my college sophomore son as a summer intern (he LOVES that show!) in lieu of a lawsuit. And - I'd want to keep the cannonball, too. :D

If it were our house, we would all be super excited that we get to meet the Mythbusters crew! We would expect them to pay for all damages and put us up somewhere if needed while work was done. I'd also love to keep the cannonball as a souvenir. :)

:iagree: This would be us. We love Mythbusters and I truly think it was an accident. As far as I know they don't have a history of things like this happening.

I would probably be pretty ticked at first. Then when the realization that it was property damage only and no one was injured I'd be not quite so angry. Then in a day or two it would be funny and as long as all damages were repaired I'd be okay without legal action.

I think this would be mine emotional path as well. And then, lastly, COOL! Get to meet the Mythbusters guys!! :D

Did they consult anyone with experience at firing a cannon? Did they consult military rules regarding artillery in relation to civilian populations? These may be unknown factors to the Sheriff's office, but that doesn't make them unknown factors.

I don't know in this case; however, every Myth Buster's show we have seen that deals with crazy weapons has had an expert consulted.

Oh gosh... I would be livid... yes I would file a lawsuit and hope for criminal charges even. Can you imagine if someone had been in that ball's path?

Out of curiosity, have you read the article about what happened and looked at the flight path to see just how far away this occurred vs what they were aiming at? Did you notice that even the Sheriff's Dept (owner of the firing range) was surprised at what happened? Life is unpredictable at times. Hindsight is wonderful, but all of us live life going forward without the benefit of hindsight.

Perhaps we just have a difference of opinion, but I'm firm in my belief that this was an accident - certainly nothing criminal! Like any other accident, I'm glad no one was hurt and many people will learn from this experience to make things safer in the future.

I'd probably have been angry at first-and then excited to get to meet the Mythbusters team in person :). Obviously, it would be different if someone got hurt, but no one did, so it's a little late to be angry now-and I'm sure, knowing the detail they go into as far as small scale testing, that they really did NOT expect this result!

:iagree: I am in the "lawsuit pending" group. A CANNONBALL?! I can't imagine if that had hit one of my children. Just the thought that someone put my family in harm's way like that warrants a trip to the lawyer's office IMO.

I checked lawsuit, but only because I have a child who suffers from anxiety to begin with. She stays up at night worrying about college and volcanoes (we live in the midwest) for example. This would send her over the top. I'd need money to cover her therapy for the rest of her life :001_huh:

Out of curiosity, have you read the article about what happened and looked at the flight path to see just how far away this occurred vs what they were aiming at? Did you notice that even the Sheriff's Dept (owner of the firing range) was surprised at what happened? Life is unpredictable at times. Hindsight is wonderful, but all of us live life going forward without the benefit of hindsight.

Why wouldn't the sheriff's office be surprised? Do they have artillery? I don't think so.

This is exactly why I would be angry. Cannonballs are a known entity. Artillery fire in general is a known entity. Their failure (as far as I can tell) is in not consulting someone who could give them good information on what could happen. Artillery ranges must be a certain distance from the population for a reason!

I checked lawsuit, but only because I have a child who suffers from anxiety to begin with. She stays up at night worrying about college and volcanoes (we live in the midwest) for example. This would send her over the top. I'd need money to cover her therapy for the rest of her life :001_huh:

I don't think you'd need a lawsuit for that coverage. Everything damage-wise is being covered without a lawsuit. Anxiety/therapy would be in the damage aspect. It's not like they're trying to get out of making any amends necessary to fix what went wrong.

Why wouldn't the sheriff's office be surprised? Do they have artillery? I don't think so.

This is exactly why I would be angry. Cannonballs are a known entity. Artillery fire in general is a known entity. Their failure (as far as I can tell) is in not consulting someone who could give them good information on what could happen. Artillery ranges must be a certain distance from the population for a reason!

Maybe they should just hire you as their expert? ;) (Written with humor, not negatively.)

It is not the way I would want to get 15 minutes of fame, but no one was hurt, and they are fixing the damage. I would just move on and hope the show continued on, because well I enjoy it and my kids have learned a lot from it. We live near a very large military base, and our house shakes when they train, so our experience are a bit different than others.

My kids would flip to meet the Mythbusters team too. :lol: Surely they will personally apologize to those that were affected. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by dwkilburn1

After getting over the initial shock I wouldn't be angry. BUT I wouldn't exactly be enjoying it either. Accidents happen. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. I'm not an angry sort of person, and I'm not a law suit sort of person. So as long as they're taking care of the problems they caused, I wouldn't bring a lawyer into it. I wouldn't be star struck - though dh would be. I would let them show my house on the show - not because it's cool, but so they can show all the nuts who watch that show and want to copy it exactly WHY proper safety precautions are necessary.

I agree.

I would demand, though, that they accept my college sophomore son as a summer intern (he LOVES that show!) in lieu of a lawsuit. And - I'd want to keep the cannonball, too. :D

My son would demand to be an intern as well. He would demand to be a part of that episode. Then he'd want his own segment on the show on a regular basis.

I think they are D*** lucky no one was injured. I would want to know more about who was hired as the expert on this one.

I wouldn't sue, and I would let my house be part of the episode, with proper compensation, of course.

sometimes, bizarre things happen. and they do use saftey precautions, but still things went wrong. (as one person commented somewhere - saftey precautions followed. myth: busted. ;))

anyway, I voted, I'd be grateful no one was hurt, they're fixing things, making apologies, but no need for a lawsuit. accidents happen! It would be interesting to see the results of the investigation on why the cannonball was so off course.

yes, I have at least three kids who'd want to be part of it.

eta: even if someone was killed, I'd wait upon an investigation of what went wrong before deciding on a lawsuit or not. I have a friend whose son was killed by a runaway popcorn truck (very bizarre, totally freak accident) - there was no lawsuit.

Edited by gardenmom5

I'd be upset. I don't see how it is possible not to be.

I would be very thankful that no one in my family was harmed.

I would expect Mythbusters to pay for all repairs and to demonstrate that they are putting into place procedures that will prevent this type of thing in the future.

My kids would be thrilled, but of course, they are children with no real sense of the danger involved and they love Mythbusters.

We would not pursue a lawsuit because we...well, we just wouldn't. It isn't how our family operates.

I'd definitely file a lawsuit. It was totally preventable.

Edited by shinyhappypeople

I'd definitely file a lawsuit. It was totally preventable.

Was it?

Freak accidents are called that for a reason.

Going back to read article.... savage said what this type of thing is called, but I forget it. And I don't know how preventable or likely it is.

Common sense consultant? Whose job it is to hire/request the actual consultants that they need? I could do that. ;)

In all honesty, that's probably more of what they need. When one gets really into the groove of doing something (anything - math wars, artillery, etc) sometimes tunnel vision takes over (it's always like "this" - I "know" because of my experience) and it's hard to see what may be plain to anyone else outside the tunnel.

Common sense consultants ought to be a requirement for many people who make decisions now that I ponder that thought.

Was it?

Freak accidents are called that for a reason.

Going back to read article.... savage said what this type of thing is called, but I forget it. And I don't know how preventable or likely it is.

Anyone with common sense (and that includes the posters in this thread :D ) knows that a cannonball is not a gun and therefore a firing range is not an appropriate place to shoot a cannon. If it had happened at an artillery range, I'd be more likely to call it a freak accident.

Common sense was not applied and lives were put in danger. Totally not acceptable. An apology doesn't cut it.