Menu

IF you had to choose: Phoenix, AZ or Virginia (near DC)

Hubby interviewed for a job where he'd be able to choose from these two cities. Which is the best for families? I am drawn to Virginia because of the seasons/foliage/topography and the history among other things. I'm not really excited about Phoenix because I have lived in extreme weather locations and it does not suit me. Also, I am a wedding photographer. Wedding photographer means long days of outdoor work... 115 degree temps do not excite me.

So take all that away or keep it in (I don't care). I need people to tell me why they love or hate these two areas. Cost of living is important. My husband would be working for a non-profit and making under $50,000. While I could work and supplement our income.

We are interested in suburbs - detached housing. Not looking for ĂƒÂ¼ber large/fancy places but just nice family areas.

Give me all you got!! Right now he is in the top 8 for the position. He'll know by Friday if he is in the top 3. They want to have the position filled by January 2nd.

...Cost of living is important. My husband would be working for a non-profit and making under $50,000. While I could work and supplement our income.

If you are looking solely at cost of living - Phoenix wins hands-down. I checked one calculator - a $50k income in Phoenix is equivalent to $69,500 in metro DC. The cost of an average DC home is 2-3x the cost of the average Phoenix home.

Well, of course I have to put a plug in for Phoenix, both because you'll get a deluge of "come to VA" ones, and because I live in Phoenix!

Everybody knows the pros of moving near DC, so here is the Phoenix side of the story. I moved here 11 years ago, and coming from San Diego, I did NOT want to move here. Fast forward, and I love it. The people are friendly, the cost of living is very reasonable, particularly in the outer suburbs, the weather is GREAT from Oct-early June, there are lots of homeschool groups, many homeschool opportunities (sports, drama, music, art, etc), AZ is extremely homeschool-friendly, and there are many beautiful sights to see in our state, with MANY different climates.

As to photographing weddings, most weddings that I've been involved with are not held in the summer, so you would not be out working very often in 115 degree heat. A bride and groom don't want to stand out in that heat, either! My niece is getting married 12/31, which is just one example.

If you can tell me what part of Phoenix your dh's job would be in, I can help with the cost of housing near by, what homeschool groups to join, etc.

Good luck!

Edited by Elinor Everywhere

Well, all I can say is that I have been to both and I would pick Virginia hands down.

I've lived in the CA desert all of my life. Unless you REALLY like Indian history or you want to turn into a lizard, I suggest staying away from the desert. Ugly, awful, place. My grandparents lived in Arizona, near Phoenix, and we would visit every summer. Hated it.

Virginia is historically rich and full of field trip opportunities, and beautiful. We visited there for three weeks a few years ago and I totally fell in love. For me, it would be a no brainer decision...but I have no idea about cost of living in either area. ;)

With a salary of under $50k, I would definitely suggest Phoenix.

Ultimately, it depends on what type of lifestyle you are used to, and how that compares with what you'll be able to afford in each location. You'll get a lot more house for your money in Phoenix, but if you don't like the heat, that might not matter to you.

All things being equal, I would choose Virginia, but with finances being a concern, I think your standard of living will be higher in Phoenix.

Have you checked Realtor.com for housing info, or the City-Data.com forums for more information on different towns/neighborhoods/lifestyle options?

That is a hard one. Where are your families? Does that factor in at all?

My parents live in Phoenix and I don't care for it because it is too hot, too far from an ocean, and too flat, but my parents love it.

I would not have chosen anywhere East before I moved here, but now that we have been here for a while I do like it.

So, there you have it, I am as undecided as you are!

Dawn

I'm from VA and grew up in Fairfax. It was a great place to grow up, certainly, with access to culture, DC, etc.

As others have said, the cost of living is a challenge. So is the traffic. We moved south (still in VA) to get away from some of that.

Feel free to PM me. Good luck to your DH!

I would check hs laws. AZ is ridiculously easy: send in one form and you are done FOREVER. No testing, no reporting, no rules about hours or days, no annual refiling. Just opt out once.

VA looks fairly hs friendly, but appears to require annual testing (and perform in the top 2/3).

On the other hand, VA has access to the Smithsonian and tons of historical places.

Note: in some PHX suburbs there is plenty of greenery. You'll pay a lot of AC in the summer, but we don't even run central heat in the winter (never had it connected, since it was the only thing that used natural gas). :p I don't think you could get away with that in VA. The weather in AZ is...monotonous. Sunny and dry 90% of the time. Rare rain or storms, and they go thru quickly. If it is cloudy for 2 days in a row that's news. That can be good or bad, depending on you!

If you ID yourself with the East coast, I'd probably vote VA.

Edited by ChandlerMom

At under $50K, I would have to say Phoenix. One would probably be unable to buy here in NoVa unless they had a trust fund or had already done well in the housing and had a substantial amount of $$$ for a down payment -- $400k or thereabouts. No, I am not kidding.

I love NoVa -- I HATE the cost of living.

I'm finding houses in the 250,000 range in the Woodbridge Area. Anyone know about this area in particular? I know the traffic is awful in the DC area but we are coming from the SF bay area so we know something of that. We are accustomed to living on a VERY tight budget because of long-term underemployment so we know how to live frugally. I don't want a big house. I care more for a decent yard and an area that I enjoy. I like older houses in older middle-class neighborhoods. We like to hike, take day trips, etc.

Thanks for all the info. so far! Keep it coming.

Family lives in California and Arkansas.

All of this could be moot if he does not get the job but I like having my mind in the right place to be ready for a decision especially since this process will move rather quickly once they narrow it down.

VA looks fairly hs friendly, but appears to require annual testing (and perform in the top 2/3).

Yes, Virginia does require annual testing, but you can apply for a religious exemption, which exempts you from testing. So does having a teaching certificate (or designating a "certified tutor" to teach your child).

If you do test, you have to score above the 23rd percentile. Pretty low.

More info: http://heav.org/

I live in No VA. I grew up here, then moved to the desert southwest (not Phoenix, but close) for 10 years, and ended up back here due to a great job offer. I cried as we left the SW, and will always miss it (and plot to move back). So I'm biased.

My vote would be Phoenix. But that is based on the cost of living, and the fact that I love the southwest for the activities there.

You've already gotten feedback on the cost of living, so I won't even go there. Obviously, your income will go a lot farther in Phoenix. And traffic - well, enough said.

It really comes down to what you like to do with your family. Both areas are going to have lots of homeschooling groups and activities. VA has easy access to the Smithsonian - and it's wonderful. Lots of opportunities. But Phoenix is going to have a ton of different opportunities. Lots of hiking, biking, too.

My personal choice would be to live in Phoenix, get out and do everything there is to do there (and there is a lot - most of it healthy and active). And use the money we save by living there for occasional trips east for great museums. Your kids will maintain an active, healthy lifestyle for a lifetime. They can do that in the DC area as well, but overall - I saw more "outdoorsy" active people in the SW than I've ever seen in the No VA area (they are here, but we have to seek them out).

Woodbridge seems to have a fair amount of people who homeschool. Maybe you could join some VA homeschooling email groups to get an idea of the activities available. DH and I are currently talking about relocating within No VA, and DH has nixed Woodbridge specifically (I don't know much about it)... I can ask him his reasons, if you want to pm me.

Edited by Spryte

My husband delivers mail in Woodbridge - he is intimately acquainted with it. There are some very lovely parts and some perfectly hideous parts. Just depends. Pm me if you'd like.

We live in Stafford. Much less expensive than further north - also more homeschool friendly than Prince William County (where Woodbridge is).

Where exactly is your husband's job located?

Cost of living is cheaper here in Phoenix. Also, homeschooling laws are really easy to follow (as stated by a previous poster). Downside: the extreme heat in the summer. Upside: getting out of the heat is only about a 2 hour drive away. :D

People kept mentioning culture in VA. Well,there is a lot of culture here, too. And if you can embrace the desert landscape for what it is, it is beautiful in it's own way.

On your dh's salary, living here would probably make more sense for you.

You may want to make a list of pros and cons for living in each area and see which suits you better. HTH!

My husband delivers mail in Woodbridge - he is intimately acquainted with it. There are some very lovely parts and some perfectly hideous parts. Just depends. Pm me if you'd like.

We live in Stafford. Much less expensive than further north - also more homeschool friendly than Prince William County (where Woodbridge is).

Where exactly is your husband's job located?

If he gets the job (1 in 8 chance right now), he would work in downtown DC on K St.

I moved to Phoenix in 2006, and though I love the East Coast, I'd say in your situation you are probably better off here. The real estate market tanked earlier than anywhere else, so homes are REALLY affordable, and homeschooling laws are highly advantageous.

I have heard it said that you either love or hate Arizona, but I don't find that to be the case. We are here because of my husband's family, and our church is awesome, but we've frequently talked of moving to other places. That being said, we are not unhappy here. We took the boys hiking the day after Thanksgiving, and we ride our bicycles outside in December and January. You just adjust your schedule. (Our wedding was in February, for instance, but as lovely as any June wedding on the East Coast!)

If he gets the job (1 in 8 chance right now), he would work in downtown DC on K St.

I used to live in Crystal City (Arlington, VA), which is about 5 minutes outside downtown DC on a weekend (just right across the bridge). But my daily commute to work on H St was about a half hour by car. I can't imagine what it would be from Woodbridge, but it's definitely worth analyzing.

I'm not sure where you're moving from, but I grew up in PA, and the wonderful thing about being in NoVa or PA is the proximity to all of the wonderful other cities along the east coast. Living in Las Vegas now, I really miss all the great places we could reach in just a few hours. But I am partial to the weather in the desert. And the cost of living, as well as having family here, makes it a no brainer for us.

Good luck with your decision!

Do know about West v east, being new east transplant. Personally, I like the East, sick of sun, sun and more sun. I love the snow. Looking at it that is.

Someone mentioned activities, we do more here and I lived in San Diego all my life. I exercise way more, outdoors. There are sidewalks and great neighborhoods.

I vote for VA.

I live in Northern VA. My siblings live here. It would be hard for me to relocate and leave family. I think hs'ing is easy and there are lots of groups and opportunities for hs'ers.

HOWEVER, if the salary is 50K then go to Phoenix. Woodbridge is still expensive. The commute from Woodbridge to K St is long and you need to figure in the cost of the commute (gas, parking, rail/bus/subway tickets). The cost of commuting is significant and people do not often account for that.

All of this could be moot if he does not get the job but I like having my mind in the right place to be ready for a decision especially since this process will move rather quickly once they narrow it down.

I think it's great that you're researching and preparing. If he gets the job, you'll feel more confident that you're making the right choice, and if he doesn't, the worst thing that happened was that you learned about some new places. :001_smile:

If you move here, I highly recommend buying/renting near a VRE station (Virginia Railway Express). I have a friend who's husband works in DC and they live in south Stafford near the Leeland VRE station. He takes that to work everyday. That station is near the Rappahannock River - just north of Fredericksburg (very near Ferry Farm where George Washington grew up). Houses in south Stafford are less expensive than North Stafford and Woodbridge. If you look at real estate online the address might say Stafford or Fredericksburg because it has to do with which post office your mail gets delivered from rather than the actual city limits. This link might give you an idea of what things cost:

http://fredericksburg.com/Homes

Also, a lot of folks do a thing called "slugging." I've heard it's unique to the DC area. Commuters go to commuter parking lots and slug rides with others going their direction. Sounds kind of crazy, but apparently it works rather well for a lot of folks.

http://slug-lines.com/

http://dc.about.com/od/transportation/a/Slugging.htm

ETA: Just found this cute little house for about $160,000 in the Ferry Farms subdivision. I've driven through here a lot because we used to participate in an activity at Ferry Farm Baptist Church. It is very family friendly and convenient to shopping/museums/Old Town Fredericksburg.

http://fredericksburg.com/Homes/detail?list_numb=ST7617645&prevList=http://fredericksburg.com/Homes/Listings?county=STAFFORD&query_start=11

Edited by Kathleen in VA

I'm finding houses in the 250,000 range in the Woodbridge Area. Anyone know about this area in particular? I know the traffic is awful in the DC area but we are coming from the SF bay area so we know something of that. We are accustomed to living on a VERY tight budget because of long-term underemployment so we know how to live frugally. I don't want a big house. I care more for a decent yard and an area that I enjoy. I like older houses in older middle-class neighborhoods. We like to hike, take day trips, etc.

I would steer clear of Woodbridge, it is declining. There is lots of crime and all the stuff that comes with it like plazas with run-down buildings that were previously owned but now are empty. We bought last year in Burke for low 300k. It's a great townhouse community and we are 15-20 from everything not already in town. It's safe, my hubby drives 20 minutes to work in McLean and we are a 30 min drive from the Smithsonian museums or National zoo. I love this area. I'd be concerned about living on 50k here though. The income would need to be supplemented in some way here. The benefit of being here is that you also have the potential for more clients in your photography business b/c you are near MD, DC and NoVA. just my thoughts.

Just wondering -- is telecommuting one or more days a week an option for the new position? My DH and I live way south of Stafford, and his workplace is Reston, but he only has to drive up one or two days a week. The rest of the week, he just has to remember to wear pants. :D

For history, art, and culture, I'd definitely choose DC, but it would be difficult to live there on 50K. Phoenix area is ok, but I'm always surprised at the lack of art, cultural, and natural resources available for a metro area of that size (I've traveled/explored many of the US major, metro areas and live in a metro area). Parts of the Phoenix area are gorgeous though and there's great hiking. You just spend your summer months mostly indoors. My parents live there half the year and I've been there many, many times. I also have other relatives that live there year round. I have a close friend in VA I visit regularly too.

Agreeing with the others that you won't find much in Hoodbridge...I mean, Woodbridge. ;)

The commute from more reasonably priced places (south and west) would be really yucky.

Lots of pros here, tho--you'd get good clients yourself, and the testing in VA?-You only have to score 25% or better. We use the ITBS but you can use the CAT. No other requirements. You don't even have to test if you do religious exemption. There are two other ways to go about it, but they are more involved.

Lots to do, see, visit--but cost of living and commute would make it a Phoenix decision for me.

Well, I haven't read anybody else, but my sister has lived in Tucson for a long time -- and we moved two years ago from a lifetime in CA to VA.

We. Love. VA.

My husband had a weeks contract job in Phoenix once and couldn't believe anyone would choose to live there. Even my sister who lives in Tucson says that she wouldn't want to live in Phoenix.

If you like foliage, it's stunning in VA. I've found homeschooling super easy. And the people I've met -- for the most part -- are down to earth and kind and "real". (Compared to anyone in CA.)

I've only been to Tucson and the desert -- while beautiful -- is not something I'd want to live in 24/7.

Plus VA means you're so close to LAYER upon LAYER of history. Native Americans, the founding fathers, the Amer. Rev. War, the Civil War. It's an amazing place.

Plus, Susan Wise Bauer is here. :)

PM me if you want more info.

Alley ps. if by "VA" you mean the DC area, that is a different can of worms. Because of the expense and traffic. Still neat though.

For history, art, and culture, I'd definitely choose DC, but it would be difficult to live there on 50K. Phoenix area is ok, but I'm always surprised at the lack of art, cultural, and natural resources available for a metro area of that size

The Phoenix Symphony

Southwest Shakespeare

Phoenix Art Museum

Taliesin West

Arizona Science Center

Mesa Arts Center

ASU Gammage

Loads of concert venues

Loads of sporting events

Desert Botanical Garden

Heard Museum

Ballet Arizona

Around the state: Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum (not so much a "museum" as a combined botanical garden and zoo, IMO), Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Park, Canyon de Chelly, etc.

and so on. I live in Phoenix and I don't love it (the sun exhausts me by about September - I grew up in upstate NY, and I really miss autumn), but there are loads of cultural options here. It's a younger city than DC just because it's out west, and clearly it's not the US Capital, so it doesn't have things like the Smithsonian or all the national landmarks, but it's not exactly an educational wasteland out here.

The Phoenix Symphony

Southwest Shakespeare

Phoenix Art Museum

Taliesin West

Arizona Science Center

Mesa Arts Center

ASU Gammage

Loads of concert venues

Loads of sporting events

Desert Botanical Garden

Heard Museum

Ballet Arizona

Around the state: Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum (not so much a "museum" as a combined botanical garden and zoo, IMO), Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Park, Canyon de Chelly, etc.

and so on. I live in Phoenix and I don't love it (the sun exhausts me by about September - I grew up in upstate NY, and I really miss autumn), but there are loads of cultural options here. It's a younger city than DC just because it's out west, and clearly it's not the US Capital, so it doesn't have things like the Smithsonian or all the national landmarks, but it's not exactly an educational wasteland out here.

I really didn't mean to rip on AZ - I love to visit there and I definitely don't think it's a wasteland. :D I've actually been almost every place you listed. I just think the population and suburbs have grown much faster than their arts and culture scene. Most metro areas that are at 3-4 million+ people have been big metro areas for longer than the Phoenix area (I live in a similarly sized metro area). Phoenix is really a unique metro area in the way it's population has exploded the past 10-20 years, and I think those kind of resources tail population growth. I actually did a couple job interviews there and looked at moving out there when I graduated college.

Phoenix is way, way cheaper. Housing is still dirt cheap. Fresh produce is nicer, cheaper and available year round (trucked in from Mexico through Washington state). I get sticker shock every time I go back East. Homeschooling laws are terrific.

The heat is bad, but we just wear fewer clothes and stay indoors. Florida was as bad or worse because the wet air could be so oppressive. Not many weddings happening in 115 degree weasther...you stay a lot busier in the Spring and Fall. Wedding season lasts longer. No shooting in the rain. Still, I've been here 6 years now and I just tolerate the landscape. Meh. It's transient, so it's harder to put down roots. I miss the history that people on the Atlantic coast can take for granted. I think if I could, I'd go back East. But there are a lot of reasons for you to consider Phoenix anyway. PM me if you want to talk details.

Hubby interviewed for a job where he'd be able to choose from these two cities. Which is the best for families? I am drawn to Virginia because of the seasons/foliage/topography and the history among other things. I'm not really excited about Phoenix because I have lived in extreme weather locations and it does not suit me. Also, I am a wedding photographer. Wedding photographer means long days of outdoor work... 115 degree temps do not excite me.

So take all that away or keep it in (I don't care). I need people to tell me why they love or hate these two areas. Cost of living is important. My husband would be working for a non-profit and making under $50,000. While I could work and supplement our income.

We are interested in suburbs - detached housing. Not looking for ĂƒÂ¼ber large/fancy places but just nice family areas.

Give me all you got!! Right now he is in the top 8 for the position. He'll know by Friday if he is in the top 3. They want to have the position filled by January 2nd.

Is this a forever move or temporary? I live near D.C., and we do love it, but a few things that might give you pause:

Salary - 50K does NOT go far here

Detached home - you might be happier in a condo in a nicer area with an easier commute.

Commute - it can suck the life out of you. You could end up with 2 fewer hours a day with your DH compared to now. Thats 10 hours a week.

Snow - you'll get nothing one year and be buried the next. I'd bet THIS year will be bad. It's been SOOO wet. You are responsible for the sidewalks in front of your house. (see Detached Home note above)

Allergies -if you don't have them, you'll likely develop them. If you have them, they'll get worse.

I do love that there is so much to do here. I really do, but people often move here and are surprised at the toll the expense, traffic, and pollen takes on their quality of living. I think I'd prefer to have a little more financial breathing room and no snow. You'd be trapped inside for summer instead of winter, but you wouldn't get any salt on your car or have to deal with it getting dark at four friggin thirty in the afternoon.

In general, if you make 50K per year in the DC area, you are going to be poor because of the housing costs. If you can get your income up to about 100K, you can live okay.

I am not familiar with Woodbridge specifically, but I would advise you to really, really, really check out the costs in the DC area before you commit to it. Factor in especially housing costs, real estate taxes, commuting costs, food/gas costs, etc.

I wouldn't want the commute from Woodbridge to downtown DC. Last time I lived there, I lived with my parents. It took my dad 2-3 hours some days to get from the Pentagon to our house just on the SW corner of the beltway. I worked 5 am to 3 pm, based out by Dulles, but sometimes down in Woodbridge, and the traffic would already be horrendous coming the other way when I went home at 3.

Having just moved from the Phoenix area (10 years!) to NoVA last summer, I have to weigh in on the side of Phoenix. The cost of living and the commute are harsh here. Harsher than the desert sun. As another poster said, they will suck the life out of you. I saw a license plate shortly after we moved here that read I HT U 66 (66 is the main E-W road into DC) and I laughed. I'm not laughing anymore. DH leaves at 5:45am and the drive in isn't bad, but on the way home...if he doesn't leave at 3:00pm, it could be a two hour drive for 25 miles.

Here is an old thread that gives lots of great advice that I received before we came!

Ugh, I would also vote Phoenix, especially compared to Virginia in cost of living only. I despise Phoenix, it was a bad place for us. But all in all I know many people are happy there. And you can find affordable housing in the Phoenix area. If money wasn't an issue Virginia would win hands down but alas often times it comes down to finances. Good luck to you.

Sadly, you can't really live anywhere near DC on 50k in decent detached housing. I don't even know if you could live in a condo.

Check realtor.com for ideas, but really, IME, it's just not possible, even with the recent depression in home values.

Other than the $$ issue, I'd pick VA burbs in a heartbeat.

If you have enough savings to pay for a nice house (400k or so minimum, 500k more likely) in NoVA, and could live on your salary without the housing cost, you'd be OK. Also, beware the tollroad in NoVA (Leesburg to McLean via Dulles airport), as if you live in Loudoun County or the Reston/Herndon areas of Fairfax Co, you could be looking at $10/day per driver in tolls for one roundtrip. (Those are really nice areas, and are where I've lived.) There's no realistic way to avoid the tolls, as the non-toll roads are SO SLOW and congested, it could take 2 hours to get the same place as 20-40 min on the toll roads.

NoVA has some cheaper housing, but it will be in terrible areas. Really bad. You'd be much better off in a small townhouse in a nice area (still 350k or so) than getting a bigger house in a sketchier area. I lived in Fairfax & Loudoun Counties for many, many years and my entire extended family still lives there. I know what I speak. :( The sketchy areas are really, really sketchy. Crime, gangs, drugs, etc. The nice areas are really nice.

Both AZ & NoVA areas have gang/crime issues. In NoVA, you can largely evade the issues if you can afford to live in a nice area. I don't know about Phoenix. I know it's economy is really tanked right now, but that could be good for you in so far as buying a nice house. I'm sure you could get a MUCH nicer house there for the same $$.

(I grew up in NoVA, and lived there as a young parent, and now live 4 hours away . . . I went to college in Tucson.)

Note: If you can live REALLY far out of DC, as in Winchester, VA, you might be able to find a decent house for a more affordable cost, but if he is commuting into closer in NoVA or DC, you've e got the toll road ("Greenway" or Rt 267) and that would be crazy expensive in tolls and gas.

ETA: When we moved to NoVA as a young family, we paid $260k in 2001 for a townhouse in a nice area in Loudoun County (Ashburn, VA), and we were making 66k/yr. Yes, you read that right. We paid over 4x our annual salary for a house! We had a decent downpayment, but we were still very, very housepoor. By the time we moved away 3 years later, we sold that same little 3 BR townhouse for $420k. Yes, you read that right. It was really the only reasonable choice for us at the time. It was not luxurious. It was just "nice" in a safe, family friendly development. We are land/house people, and would never have chosen a townhouse if we felt a house (which we'd owned before!) could have provided our kids with a decent neighborhood. Really, be cautious about buying anywhere until you know the area. Also, don't discount the cost of commuting. Parking, tolls, metro, can very easily add up to $20/day or more commuting all the way to downtown. Parking alone can exceed $20/day. Metro and/or tolls can be another $10-15/day. Let alone gas and time.

Edited by StephanieZ

Is this a forever move or temporary? I live near D.C., and we do love it, but a few things that might give you pause:

Salary - 50K does NOT go far here

Detached home - you might be happier in a condo in a nicer area with an easier commute.

Commute - it can suck the life out of you. You could end up with 2 fewer hours a day with your DH compared to now. Thats 10 hours a week.

Snow - you'll get nothing one year and be buried the next. I'd bet THIS year will be bad. It's been SOOO wet. You are responsible for the sidewalks in front of your house. (see Detached Home note above)

Allergies -if you don't have them, you'll likely develop them. If you have them, they'll get worse.

I do love that there is so much to do here. I really do, but people often move here and are surprised at the toll the expense, traffic, and pollen takes on their quality of living. I think I'd prefer to have a little more financial breathing room and no snow. You'd be trapped inside for summer instead of winter, but you wouldn't get any salt on your car or have to deal with it getting dark at four friggin thirty in the afternoon.

LOL This post really spoke to me. I lived for 7 years in Calgary, AB. Snow was my life. I was thinking, "Meh... I could handle a snow storm now and then as long as spring comes before mid-June!" :lol:

Realistically... everything you said is what we have been considering. The commute especially. We looked at condos also. We like walkable neighborhoods, etc. I am not really opposed to high rise living... it would be a challenge with four (LOUD) boys. Our poor downstairs neighbors would hate our ever-lovin' guts! :tongue_smilie: And I can't contemplate only one parking spot... we would need two cars.

Oy vey. Much as I fear moving to an extreme climate again (these two years back home in the SF bay area have been lovely), I have a feeling that AZ is looking more and more like the direction we'd go.

IF! IF! IF! He gets the job. LOL

This board is the best for a girl who likes to overthink things on the front end. :grouphug:

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. This has been so helpful. It's the *real* stuff that you want to know that you can't seem to find on a regular Google search... stuff that other moms/homeschoolers, etc. would know.

You all are the best!

AND (while I must reiterate that we still are unsure as to whether or not he will even get the job) the winner is Practicality over My LOVE for deciduous trees. Phoenix would be the winner. Theoretically.

You know I'll update you all when I know if we'll be moving because I'm going to need to make some connections!!

Based on income alone I would seriously consider Phoenix. If you were moving to another part of VA I would shout down the rooftops about how great VA is - because it is!

It is going to be really tight on a 50k income with occasional supplementation here in NoVA unless you move into a very small condo or are willing to have your DH make a very serious commute in traffic each day. I'm talking at least 2 hours to drive in from Front Royal/Winchester, Spotsylvania or Charleston, WV. I know people who do this and they do not see their commuting spouse during the week because they are in their car by 5:30 a.m. and not home until after 7 p.m. Or you could buy a teeny tiny condo. No way (unless you have ample savings or a lot of equity in your current home) are you going to find a single family home with a yard in a safe neighborhood for under 400k.

Just for comparison my husband makes almost triple what your husband will earn and we still aren't feeling "comfy" here. We are not struggling but we are not living high on the hog by any stretch. It takes so much $ for gas for commuting, tolls, housing, even fees for extra curricular activities are more expensive, food and so on. To save money for retirement, for emergencies and live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle it takes A LOT of income around here. We've done it on less but it was tight and we didn't have children at the time and I worked 2 jobs to help make up the slack.

Honestly, I wouldn't attempt to live in NoVA without a solid 75k a year for a family of 4.

ETA: I see now that you have 4 sons + 1 exchange student! So a family of 7! Go to Phoenix!

Edited by drexel

We have not lived out west, although dh and I both visited with our parents growing up.

My first cousin and his wife live in Phoenix, AZ, and have for years. They like it, but it is HOT! They are looking to move east to where we live in NC or OH or some similar place b/c of the climate. This will happen when he retires in 3 years at 55.

Someone mentioned cost of living = Phoenix. From a climate standpoint and 4 seasons (we like those too) = VA. Contact the Chamber of Commerce now for all the particulars in both cities and hopefully that will help with your choice...along with the responses here.

I would vote VA!

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. This has been so helpful. It's the *real* stuff that you want to know that you can't seem to find on a regular Google search... stuff that other moms/homeschoolers, etc. would know.

You all are the best!

AND (while I must reiterate that we still are unsure as to whether or not he will even get the job) the winner is Practicality over My LOVE for deciduous trees. Phoenix would be the winner. Theoretically.

You know I'll update you all when I know if we'll be moving because I'm going to need to make some connections!!

Well if you come, we'll have to all get together and welcome you to the area! :001_smile: