Menu

Have you read the book The Well Trained Mind?

happycc

Have you read the book The Well Trained Mind?  

1. 1. Have you read the book The Well Trained Mind?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if a lot of people haven't read it, but I'm always kind of surprised to see prolific posters say that they finally decided to check it out. I'm even more surprised when people with more than 100 posts haven't heard of the book or SWB. Don't they see the banner at the top of every forum page?

I don't know if a lot of people haven't read it, but I'm always kind of surprised to see prolific posters say that they finally decided to check it out. I'm even more surprised when people with more than 100 posts haven't heard of the book or SWB. Don't they see the banner at the top of every forum page?

:lol:

I am also surprised when people will say they are following TWTM methods, and then ask questions that are clearly answered in the book...Not advice type of questions, but things that are clearly answered...

ETA: Yes, I have read the entire book, the 3rd edition...I went back and bought the first addition just to read the history part since it uses the white Kingfisher and that is what I have...

:iagree:

Love the book! I got it from the library and read it, bought a new copy and read some again and then bought the original version and read some of that.

That's exactly what I did! I just gave my 1st ed. to my SIL who is thinking about homeschooling. I miss it already... :tongue_smilie:

I've read it 3 times and it's on tap to review sections again. It takes awhile for things to sink in to my thick skull.

I'm guilty of asking questions that are clearly answered. I honestly miss stuff, even with careful reading! I work at it though and do try to find an answer to my questions before posting.

Listening to SWB's lectures helps to fill in where I've missed stuff in reading, especially the writing lectures. :001_smile:

I said I read it, even though I mostly skimmed the high school part. I've read the grammar and logic stage parts a lot.

Yeah, that describes me, as well. I've read the grammar and part of the logic stage, and don't think I even skimmed the rhetoric stage, really.

I'm glad I read it, it had a lot of coherent and interesting arguments about several areas of homeschooling, but I don't know that it would be worth purchasing, for me. It was certainly worth checking out from the library, though!

Not every page totally in depth yet. The intro parts and grammar stage section I have read many many times and have all marked up with tape flags. The logic stage I have read a few times so far this year as I prepare for that next year, and I have only skimmed the rest as I don't have a student there yet.

Edited by WeeBeaks

oldest edition--at the library--at least four times; when I went to go buy it myself (it was a tight financial year), it was the 2nd edition

2nd edition---I read it multiple times every year....usually during summer and Christmas breaks, and again when I feel disillusioned with something

new edition--at the library--I've read it twice, and I did a page by page comparison to 2nd edition (oh yes I did); I'm saving for it but we keep having continuous medical emergencies....seriously :(....dh has asked me to use the library copy until some other needs are taken care of.

The first edition was the first homeschooling book I ever read -- when homeschooling was just my "backup" plan. By the time I finished the book, we decided to pull the kids out of school. :)

I bought the 2nd edition and read most or parts of it every summer. I have not bought the 3rd edition because I figured we pretty much knew what we were doing, and I always find out the latest and greatest materials at this forum. Am I wrong? Is it worth buying the 3rd edition?

You mean my index tabbed copy? :D

I also make sure to borrow our libraries copies a few times a year to make sure it's noted for its high circulation.

That is a good idea actually. We wouldn't want it to get sold off in a friends of library sale!

I had it covered the year I did first grade, and didn't buy my own copy. I was waiting for the new edition to come out before I purchased. But I haven't checked it out in several years. I think I will put a hold on it. Plus they have the 2nd edition. I am rereading logic stage right now. It would be good to compare the changes. Thanks!

I don't own it and haven't read it in it's entirety. I'm aware of WTM methods mainly through my decision to use SOTW for our history and my reading of swb's Well Educated Mind. I've had a time trying to find an online forum that I actually enjoyed reading and so far I like this one---the focus is on homeschooling and I don't get bogged down with parenting and due date clubs etc etc.

I have yet to find a homeschooling method that I would use 100% of the time. I have WTM on a to buy booklist because I think it is a great resource for our eclectic style of homeschooling.

Edited by Walking-Iris

I've read this book over and over and over again! It's my homeschool "Bible" so to speak. It's been a great road map for me and has really helped me set goals for our homeschool. I own the second and third editions; I refuse to get rid of the earlier one. :lol:

I said I read it, even though I mostly skimmed the high school part. I've read the grammar and logic stage parts a lot.

:iagree: I own the original edition. I have the 3rd edition checked out of the library right now as I'm going through the pre-grammar section and the logic sections with a fine-tooth comb. (Not sure what that'll do to the library copy? :tongue_smilie:) I'm also going to skim the rhetoric section (again) with a mind to doing a better job in the logic arena to prepare for the rhetoric timeframe.

I've read much of the stuff "in the back" over & over, but those high school years *shudder* scare me still.

I have the second edition,and it is full of sticky notes marking important pages, folded-over page corners (yikes!) and many pencil notes. Michelle in MO (we used to live near one another) told me about it years ago and I read the copy she had donated to the library, and afterwards bought my own. I didn't know about these boards until after I read the book. Love it!

Kirsten

I answered yes although I haven't read it cover to cover. Does that count? :001_smile: I read about 75% of the second edition when we first began homeschooling. I gave it to a friend after buying the third edition. Have read various portions of the third edition several times over. We are not exclusively WTM-ers though.

I voted yes, but not cover to cover. I skimmed over some of the things that don't apply to us or don't apply yet and I'll admit that I didn't read the sections that recommend different programs really at all. For one thing, I had a slightly older edition. But I also feel like it wasn't necessarily any better information from what I did see that you would get here or at somewhere like homeschool reviews.

I'd love to see a spin-off poll of how many times you've read it.... :)

And how many editions! I know SWB wasn't happy about putting the schedules in, but it really helped me in that it gave me a concrete starting point. So I have the 1st & the 3rd, and have read both multiple times!