Menu

Your wedding rings...if you have white gold are you happy with it?

Dh and I are going to get new wedding bands tonight and ours were gold. I still have my diamond solitaire--also gold band--but have really been longing for that silver/platinum look.

Dh does not want anything but gold, so that's one reason for my hesitation. Platinum is pretty expensive, right? And I've been reading complaints from white gold owners that it seems to tarnish or the plating that is on most white gold rings will eventually rub off.

What do you think? Go for a change or stick with yellow gold? (Will it ever be back "in"? LOL!)

I have white gold.

White gold diamond ring with two thin yellow gold bands on either side.

We are coming up on 8 years of marriage and I have had no problem. I LOVE it.

The only thing I might replace it with, if we had the chance, was a black hills gold ring. But that's because I LOVe the look of black hills gold.

I love the two tone look this gives me.

DH and I both have white gold rings. They are 15 years old with no tarnishing or any change. We have some nicks etc but no problems with the gold.

For an engagement ring, I wear my mother's white gold diamond ring. That was why we both went with white gold, to match the engagement ring. Her ring is about 44 years old with no tarnishing etc.

my dd got married in April. Her dh had designed her engagment ring. It is yellow gold and very unique. When they were looking for a wedding band that would go with the ring they wanted one that would have a row on each side of the band. After looking all over they found one that fit like it was made for her engagement ring. The only problem was that is was white gold. The jewelers told them that it is actually a new trend to combine both white and yellow gold. The set is absolutely stunning!

There should be no problem with tarnishing and chipping if you get a good quality white gold.

I love, love, love my white gold setting and haven't had any issues with it, other than needing it shined up occasionally (I rarely take it off and am pretty rough with my hands).

My rings are white gold. It is my 2nd set, but it's hmm..almost 30 years old. Still lovely. I did get an anniversary band on our 25th that was Platinum and I had my other rings polished at that time so they would match a little better. Now, 11 years later, they look like they have always been a set.

Dh and I are going to get new wedding bands tonight and ours were gold. I still have my diamond solitaire--also gold band--but have really been longing for that silver/platinum look.

Dh does not want anything but gold, so that's one reason for my hesitation. Platinum is pretty expensive, right? And I've been reading complaints from white gold owners that it seems to tarnish or the plating that is on most white gold rings will eventually rub off.

What do you think? Go for a change or stick with yellow gold? (Will it ever be back "in"? LOL!)

my ring is white gold and I love it -- no problems at all

I have an antique, platinum wedding band, but my husband has a wide, flat white gold wedding band. It shows no sign tarnish after 17 years, and counting :001_smile:.

Me too. I have my Great Aunt's ring from around 1900. It's platinum and dh's used to be yellow gold. It got damaged a lot from working on cars, so he replaced it (gained weight in his fingers too!:lol:) with white gold a couple of years ago. But our rings have never matched. That wasn't as big of a deal to me as being able to wear my Aunt's stunning antique ring.

I love the idea of combining the two. I have always loved that look! I say go for it!

I'm really surprised by all these responses! My wedding band is platinum but my engagement ring was white gold. Over time, the white gold DID change in color somewhat, becoming duller and less "pure" of a silver look. This is why (copies from a jeweler's website):

When white gold rings are new they are coated with another white metal called Rhodium. Rhodium is a metal very similar to platinum and Rhodium shares many of the properties of platinum including its white color.

The rhodium plating is used to make the white gold look more white. The natural color of white gold is actually a light grey color. The Rhodium is very white and very hard, but it does wear away eventually. To keep a white gold ring looking its best it should be re-rhodium plated approximately each 12 to 18 months. Most local jewelers are able to rhodium plate jewelry for a cost effective price.

I never had it replated, so by our 10th anniversary, it was definitely a totally different shade from my platinum ring. We had it reset in a platinum band for our anniversary (with a couple additional diamonds) and I LOVE it. I much prefer platinum, if you can afford it.

I'm surprised, too, because this was the information I was curious about! Many of these ladies have had their sets for a long time, though, so I wonder if this is a more recent process that isn't as good? I dunno. I'm having a really hard time deciding!!

It could also be that mine was right next to my platinum band, so I could see the difference really clearly. If you're only looking at white gold, you might not notice a slight shift in color over the years.

I'm really surprised by all these responses! My wedding band is platinum but my engagement ring was white gold. Over time, the white gold DID change in color somewhat, becoming duller and less "pure" of a silver look. This is why (copies from a jeweler's website):

When white gold rings are new they are coated with another white metal called Rhodium. Rhodium is a metal very similar to platinum and Rhodium shares many of the properties of platinum including its white color.

The rhodium plating is used to make the white gold look more white. The natural color of white gold is actually a light grey color. The Rhodium is very white and very hard, but it does wear away eventually. To keep a white gold ring looking its best it should be re-rhodium plated approximately each 12 to 18 months. Most local jewelers are able to rhodium plate jewelry for a cost effective price.

Well, the bolded (above) is part of it -- this is a jeweler's website. I've never heard of replating or rhodium in relation to white gold until I read this. Every 12-18 months? :lol: After 19 years, my ring still looks great, nothing looks chipped off or faded. Maybe if I was wearing platinum next to it, I'd notice a difference, but I'm not and I would wager most people aren't. It still looks like silver, not yellow gold (while holding up like gold).

I've had my white gold ring for 11 years, since we got married, and have had no problems with tarnishing. I love it. I never wear yellow gold, so something silver-toned was a must.

:iagree: we've been married 11 years and my wedding ring is just as beautiful today as it was then. my husband actually wears what was his father's ring, so it is about 30+ years old and it is still beautiful as well. we are very happy with white gold!:)

Edited by mytwomonkeys
typo queen

Well, the bolded (above) is part of it -- this is a jeweler's website. I've never heard of replating or rhodium in relation to white gold until I read this. Every 12-18 months? :lol: After 19 years, my ring still looks great, nothing looks chipped off or faded. Maybe if I was wearing platinum next to it, I'd notice a difference, but I'm not and I would wager most people aren't. It still looks like silver, not yellow gold (while holding up like gold).

I have had rings with rhodium plating and it does look bad when it wears off. I think they must put it on to cover inferior quality gold (my best guess). I have some rings, antique and otherwise, that are just white gold and look fabulous. They get little scratches over time, but a light polishing buffs them right out and the white gold looks as good as new.

I have had rings with rhodium plating and it does look bad when it wears off. I think they must put it on to cover inferior quality gold (my best guess). I have some rings, antique and otherwise, that are just white gold and look fabulous. They get little scratches over time, but a light polishing buffs them right out and the white gold looks as good as new.

Makes sense. To me, the jeweler's statement that was quoted makes it sound like all white gold is rhodium plated so all white gold needs this re-plating every 12-18 mos.

Love our white-gold wedding rings! 25 years now and going strong! Never any tarnishing. However, because they are gold, they are soft, and about 3 years ago my ring wore very thin and broke through. But I had it repaired, you can't even see it, and no tarnish on the "patch", either!

Have a lovely, lasting marriage, whatever you get for rings! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Both of my rings are white gold. I adore them, and I've had absolutely no issues with tarnishing. (Though I've had them for less than 3 years ;) ) I've also got some other white gold jewelry which is still in great shape. One of my other pieces did get scratched up, but I wore it on my index finger while working. My engagement and wedding rings don't have any such scratches.

I'm looking at a white gold ring from Zales. I looked further on the site and read this:

White Gold Jewelry combines pure gold with other white metals, such as zinc, nickel, platinum and silver. Durable and resistant to tarnish, White Gold jewelry is brittle and requires platinum or rhodium plating. Generally produced to be a more cost effective than platinum, White Gold can cause allergic reactions once the plating wears off.

Now what?? Hmph.

My engagement ring was platinum but by the time we went back to the jeweler to pick out wedding bands the price of platinum doubled (late 90's/early 2000)!! So I decided to go with white gold. The white gold has probably more of a hint of yellow but it is so hard to tell since they shine and reflect skin and other nearby colors. It isn't enough to bother me, they both look silver in my eyes.

We randomly bought DH's band at a pawn shop:lol: It was thick and heavy and we bought it by the ounce-- and we both love it!!

If we were ever to decide to get new bands, I would love to try out precious metal clay (or Art Clay Silver) and make our own. :001_smile:

My white gold wedding band is fourteen years old and has no tarnishing. My white gold/diamond engagement ring is approx. 70 years old and has no tarnishing either. I think quality varies widely, though.

Yes. I have a ring from the early 1900s that is just now starting to "turn" and my wedding set that started showing yellow 10 years after I got it. I did a plate on it, and that only lasted 2 years.

And what you do while you're wearing it will effect the metal as well. I garden, and even with gloves, the friction, fertilizers, etc - they did a doozy to the metal.

I grew tired of wearing my stone + band set (it is a band that is formed to go 'around' the stone on one side) because the set always slid to one side. DS' ring always made him break out - something about the alloy (it was his father's ring). I bought us both titanium bands and wish I had gotten our original wedding sets in it.

Titanium is lovely, weighs nothing, never changes, is completely inert, and non-magnetic. This is the place I bought mine from.

a

My wedding ring is white gold or platinum (I honestly don't know which) from the 1880s. It doesn't tarnish. My engagement ring is from the 1930s. It has never tarnished, either, and I have never had either of them replated or anything else.

I usually wear a wide sterling band with the Song of Solomon "I am my beloved's..." engraved around it in Gaelic, but I do that because I'm really, really hard on rings. For the record, the only issue I have with tarnish on that one is when I make egg salad and cut up the eggs in my left hand. :)