Menu

Safe co-sleeping?

I co-slept with DS in a king size bed. It was just he and I.

DH is a heavy sleeper who moves around a lot. He also drives large vehicles filled with hazardous flammable materials through cities, up mountain passes, and on highways every day. I want him rested, so we decided not to share a room until DS slept through the night on a regular basis-about 10/11 months. DH doesn't do the middle of the night care.

Co sleeping scared me. DS only ever rolled towards me, he had lots of space and I slept with a pillow and light blanket tucked around me. He had lots of room around him. I slept OK, heard every whimper, and never rolled near him.

I have a bassinet I can put right next to my bed, but DS hated it. He wanted to sleep in bed with me or in his bouncy chair/car seat. Or in my arms. I hadn't really heard of co-sleeping with infants when DS came home, I just finally put him in my bed because we needed sleep and I had to try something since he refused his bassinet and crib and my Ped didn't think sleeping in a bouncy chair or car seat was good for him.

If DD needs to co-sleep what are some ways I can make it safe?

I co sleep with my babies beginning on Day 1. They sleep nestled in the crook of my arm. I put a blanket only up to my waist and have baby lie on top of it. I have a bed rail on the side that baby is on with a small blanket stuffed down into the side of it so baby wouldn't roll into the small gap. I never had that problem though because I was always subconsciously aware of every movement baby made. I never put baby in the middle because DH is not aware when he sleeps.

I had a co-sleeper with DS, but we moved to an apartment with much, much smaller bedrooms and we don't have room. So, we've had DD and the new baby in a sleep nest when they were smaller. DD stayed in it for about 3 or 4 months, then transitioned to her crib (she didn't really like co-sleeping very much). DS is still in the sleep nest at about 10 weeks, but is close to growing out of it. He'll either just start sleeping right in the bed soon, if that works for him, or we'll move him into the crib and DD into a bed.

We like the sleep nest when they're very little and we're worried about the possibility of rolling onto them. That said, my first never used his cosleeper and could only sleep if he was touching me, so he slept in the middle of our bed from the day he came home until he was two or so, and it worked out fine.

James McKenna (Notre Dame mother-infant behavioral sleep laboratory) has good cosleeping info and tips, as do Dr. Sears and Dr. Jay Gordon.

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/frequently-asked-questions/

http://www.naturalchild.org/articles/sleeping.html

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/safe-cosleeping.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/sleep-safety/safe-co-sleeping-habits

We co-sleep too. Right now, it's just me and DD in bed because DH is a heavy sleeper. Because of the c/s, I sleep propped up on a bunch of pillows. Its hard to describe exactly what we do, but DD sleeps with her head on my chest and I tuck a baby blanket around her at chest height. She can't really move and I'm a really light sleeper so I wake up to every noise she makes.

I can't imagine NOT co-sleeping anymore. It makes middle of the night wakings so much easier.

The problem with any type of "co-sleeper" bed is that a baby who needs to be close will not sleep in that either. In my experience, my babies who could sleep without being in my arms could also sleep in a crib in a separate room, or in a bed on the other side of my room.

OP, your question is a good one and it's good, of course, to be prepared for every thing! But if you don't really want to co-sleep, then push that at first. Your baby will let you know if he/she is willing! There's a very good chance your baby will adjust fine :)

I co-slept with babies #3-6. With #1 and 2, I had them in the bed with me sporadically. #7 didn't like to be in the bed with us.

Dh jokes that he was always black and blue when we had babies in the bed - according to him, if he so much as *breathed* in the baby's direction I would punch him.:lol:

ETA: I quit using the bed rail when I realized that their weight was not enough to hold it in place and the babt could push it away from the bed, then get trapped in the gap. I also realized at that point that falling off the bed wasn't that big of a deal.;) Having said that, only #6 fell off the bed regularly and *never* when I was in the bed with her.

During the winter when my baby was a newborn, I wore flannel pjs (and I hate wearing pjs) to stay warm and didn't use any blankets. Baby was in a Hanna zipper and a cotton swaddle blanket beside me.

I have a rail guard on the side of the bed and baby sleeps between me and the rail. If I need to switch sides, I put my head the other way. Or when dh isn't in the bed, I'll just put baby on my chest and roll him over.

I used to sleep with one hand on baby so I'd be aware of him in my sleep but now he always sleeps in my armpit, snuggled up to my chest, and I like that I can always feel him there.

I've co-slept with three kids now and I do it the same way for each. I'm rather short (5'3") so I sleep scooted down the bed a bit. The baby sleeps up top so that my head is around belly level with the baby. That way my blankets won't ever reach the baby. I scoot up to breastfeed and back down to go to sleep. The bed is a queen and is pushed up to the wall. I sleep between dh and the baby, with the baby next to the wall.

Not really in the budget right now. :o A co-sleeper I mean.

I didn't have a co-sleeper. I just had baby in between my husband and I. Really, it wasn't a big deal, because I am a light sleeper, but especially when it comes to my littles.

When they got a little bigger and starting to roll over, we actually ditched our bed and put the mattresses on the floor for a couple years. Not beautiful but much better for peace of mind. I also had a roll-pillow-style "railing". I forget what it was called, but it was soft and specifically meant for co-sleeping.

The problem with any type of "co-sleeper" bed is that a baby who needs to be close will not sleep in that either. In my experience, my babies who could sleep without being in my arms could also sleep in a crib in a separate room, or in a bed on the other side of my room.

)

Yes, this is true. Or....sometimes you end up with your two year old in the co-sleeper and baby in bed. :tongue_smilie: The nice thing about a side car crib, though, is that you can have a little more space for the baby and should be able to keep the baby on that side of you so as not to disturb DH since that seems to be one of your objectives.

I co-sleeped with all of mine and they are now 18, 14, and 5. I wouldn't have it any other way!! I am a very light sleeper. I would sleep with them either right in between my chest and arm or right beside me. I usually did not use covers and if I did, I would have them at my waist. A friend of mine had a co-sleeper and I thought that was neat. Her husband was a very heavy sleeper and moved around ALOT.

DH and I are both light sleepers, which is good because both kids so far have absolutely refused to sleep unless they were/are in the middle of the bed with one hand on each parent. We keep covers at waist level or below and make sure that the pillows are at the edges of the bed. Outside of that we don't do anything special. Neither one of us is a restless sleeper and both of us have found that we've got some kind of sense that is flipped "ON" the second the baby is in the bed. DS1 was a so-so sleeper who needed to nurse every hour, hour and a half and he tended to sleep in my arms, nestled up to my side with one hand stretched out to touch DH. DS2 will sleep for 8-10 (!!) hours at night before he wakes up to eat so he tends to take up about half of the bed (in the middle of course) in what my DH calls the "Jesus position" (arms outstretched - one hand on each parent).

ETA:

DH was skeptical when we started co-sleeping with DS1 but I *loved* how much easier night feedings were and how I wasn't waking in a panic every 30 minutes having to go check on him. DH is now a co-sleeping convert. Especially after having a family member lose their 5 month old to SIDS both DH and I really, really appreciate being able to feel and/or hear the baby breathing all night long.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

I co-slept with all three babies, even though I swore I never would before I had the first one (and didn't for about 6 weeks minus the first night until I realized I might drop her because I was so tired). My eldest slept between dh & I when I moved her there at bedtime, and then in the crook of my arm once she nursed, but dh slept elsewhere for the next two because he was no longer able to sleep this way (we had a queen size bed then). My younger two needed to spread out, so I would put something between the edge of the bed & them so I'd wake up if they knocked the boxes over as they moved.

My sister-the-MD says to avoid co-sleeping in a water bed. People that roll over on babies are drunk or stoned, according to her. We didn't have a co-sleeper, and I mainly did it so I could get more sleep, although ds would get so cold & still sometimes I liked to have him close (he was always fine, just has a lower than average body temp.)

I co sleep with my babies beginning on Day 1. They sleep nestled in the crook of my arm. I put a blanket only up to my waist and have baby lie on top of it. I have a bed rail on the side that baby is on with a small blanket stuffed down into the side of it so baby wouldn't roll into the small gap. I never had that problem though because I was always subconsciously aware of every movement baby made. I never put baby in the middle because DH is not aware when he sleeps.

This.

Co-sleeping is the norm in many parts of the world now. It was the norm for most of humanity going back to whenever you think it is humans came on the scene. All this angst is cultural.

Remember that the synonym for SIDS is "crib death."

Assuming neither of you is on some sort of substance that alters your sleep, neither of you has some sort of sleeping disorder, and you're not putting your baby between yourself and a hard place (like the back of the couch) it will be fine.

Remember that the synonym for SIDS is "crib death."

If this is supposed to imply that babies have never died of SIDS when co-sleepingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ it's not true. They have. [i'm not making any kind of "this is better than that" statement here - I'm just saying "they have".]

"Crib death" is just a slang term. Babies have died of SIDS in cribs, parents' beds, car seats, playpens, and other places.

I co-slept for years. With my first she woud also sleep on a mattress on the floor in the same room, but my 2nd wouldnt - he had to be next to me.

I think co-sleeping makes for very secure kids.

My dh didnt sleep with us however. If he did, and I didnt feel he woudl be aware enough not to roll on the baby, I would simply put myself between the 2 of them. At once stage we did put 2 queen sized beds in a bedroom and he slept with the older while I slept with the younger.

People have been co-sleeping since the beginning of time. Unless there are alcohol and/or drugs involved, we instinctually do not roll on our babies. It is the most natural way to sleep.

I co sleep with my babies beginning on Day 1. They sleep nestled in the crook of my arm. .

I did that too--they were all in the crook of my arm. I had small bookcase next to the bed so that back was facing toward me. The baby slept on the side away from dh. But I didn't really need the back-up bookcase, because once in my arm, I was always aware of where the baby was.

proviso: I border on OCD when it comes to home safety issues. I go through the house each night unplugging things and checking smoke detectors. :glare:

I have co slept in the past and have occasionally co slept with my current newborn. But I do not think it is "safe--" regardless of precautions you might take-- in the "consumer product safety" sense. There are just too many variables in a big bed, with big pillows and blankets, with one or more sleeping adults.

The first week post partum I was so exhausted I would sometimes wake up in bed and momentarily panic wondering where the baby was, only to realize I was holding her on my chest. How could this possibly be "safe" for an unconscious adult to be holding a newborn??? I know women have done it for eons but in the strictest sense I don't see how co sleeping can ever be deemed truly safe.

That being said, especially when you are nursing, there are going to be times where you cosleep even if inadvertently. I'm always careful to pull the blanket down beneath baby's head level. I am the only adult in the bed. I sometimes put baby in the area where the second pillow would go (in a queen bed) on a smooth fitted sheet with the blankets pulled all the way over to my size. And, my mattress is on the floor-- no box spring or bed frame.

I still think cribs are safer-- I don't use cribs with bars though, I use playpens.

Not really in the budget right now. :o A co-sleeper I mean.

Here may be a couple of less expensive ideas.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Secure-Sleeper-Colors/dp/B00012CHFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319335051&sr=8-1

Possibly a flat sheet placed over these with baby inbetween?

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bumpers-Portable-Child-Safety/dp/B003KFCV6S/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1319335180&sr=8-42

co-slept with ds from the time he was too big for the bassinette and he's still in our bed now.....hubby works alot of weird shifts and when he's doing an overnight shift I'd rather have ds close to me in case of an emergency overnight or something....we have a king size bed....after the bassinette,zach slept between dh and I in a smaller bed-I would keep him snuggled closer to me and might have had a pillow in between him and dh (don't remember)--I did get one of those things that attach to the side of the bed where he wouldn't roll off--when he outgrew that we put a toddler bed and then later a twin mattress on the floor next to our bed and those both worked great--we've tried a futon next to our bed and that did well too----now we have a king size bed and it's pretty good unless all 3 of us are in bed together (plus the dog) and that can be pretty crowded sometimes but it works for us......

The safest position to cosleep is the 'C' position. Mom curls on her side like the letter C - head on a small pillow, arm stretched out along the edge of the pillow, legs drawn up for the lower part of the c shape. Her torso forms a cocoon for the baby (who will sleep either on side facing mom or on their back - put them on their back but many turn to the side by the breast naturally). Sheet/thin blanket should come up no higher than baby's waist in this position. Mom should dress in layer to stay warm.

The reason this is the safest position is because mom's body protects her from rolling over easily (try it with an outstretched arm - it's hard to turn over!), and the outstretched arm and legs prevent the baby from moving up against the pillow/headboard or down under the sheet.

Cosleeping with young (nonmobile) infants should NEVER involve mom turning her back to the baby b/c this removes those protective mechanisms. It's also not safe for the newborn to be between the parents, instead the baby should be only next to mom.

I liked either an on-top-of-bed mesh bedrail (so there was no way for a gap to develop) or sidecarring a crib to the bed so that the baby would have a safe space to roll onto.

Yep this is what I did with the last 2 (because I was their only food providerfor 1st 6 mos.). Never had a problem. I can't recall even 1X that I wasn't aware of exactly where they were (crook of my arm/head on shoulder). I did eventually have to push DS out of the bed when DD came along, until he got smart and started sleeping on the OTHER side of Daddy. I miss it. I may let DD 8 come lay down with me tonight.

The safest position to cosleep is the 'C' position. Mom curls on her side like the letter C - head on a small pillow, arm stretched out along the edge of the pillow, legs drawn up for the lower part of the c shape. Her torso forms a cocoon for the baby (who will sleep either on side facing mom or on their back - put them on their back but many turn to the side by the breast naturally). QUOTE]

This is how I do it! I've co-slept with all my babies, though unintentionally with the first. I was SO TIRED and she just wouldn't sleep anywhere but right up in my grill :D. Eventually, the need for sleep for the both of us won out. And there is something so wonderful about being curled up around your tiny new baby...

Since the first, we've co-slept on purpose and wouldn't have it any other way. DH even tells other new fathers how much easier it is on me and thus, easier on him:

Baby is happy being by Mom, so Baby sleeps. Mom is happy that Baby can finally go to sleep, so Mom sleeps. Mom sleeps, so she doesn't keep Dad up crying about being so tired, so Dad sleeps :D

At once stage we did put 2 queen sized beds in a bedroom and he slept with the older while I slept with the younger.

We have two queens pushed together on the floor, and it's amazing. I can't imagine going back to sharing a single queen with my DH. :tongue_smilie: My DH and the cats share one, and DS and I have the other.

I'm a little crazy with the bedsharing safety. When my DS was an itty bitty one there were no pillows or blankets on the bed we share. I was so exhausted that I could have cared less. We dressed warm. The mattress is extremely firm (no pillow top), and we have a tight fitting sheet. Once he was able to roll/fend for himself a tiny bit (3ish months?) I got a travel size pillow and blanket. The pillow was just big enough for my head, and the blanket really just covered up to my knees. At about 10 months I retired my travel pillow in favor of a purple unicorn Pillow Pet my husband came home with for me one day. :D

If you're not going to do two mattresses, these would be my bedsharing safety tips:

• Mattresses on the floor - the safety rails scare me
  • Push mattress into the corner and use that side for the baby - I probably would only do this if the mattress was on the floor
  • Baby sleeps next to mom only
  • Travel size pillow - pretty comfortable really
  • Individual blankets for mom and dad instead of one big comforter
  • Don't turn your back to the baby
  • Take off any mattress pad that makes your mattress more squishy

I've co-slept with three kids now and I do it the same way for each. I'm rather short (5'3") so I sleep scooted down the bed a bit. The baby sleeps up top so that my head is around belly level with the baby. That way my blankets won't ever reach the baby. I scoot up to breastfeed and back down to go to sleep. The bed is a queen and is pushed up to the wall. I sleep between dh and the baby, with the baby next to the wall.

This is what I did -I also had my baby in this http://www.bigw.com.au/baby/nursery/cot-accessories/bpnBIGW_0000000020554/tetra-snuggle-bed - and in case you are wondering it is very, very firm made from tea tree bark - there is no squishy filling and the baby cannot snuggle it's face into the mattress or sides -it's too firm despite what it looks like in the picture.

None of my babies ever wanted to snuggle me -the liked being close but not touching. I, myself cannot sleep with a baby snuggled next to me so the snuggle bed was great for keeping baby safe and close. All my kids fit in it till they were 6 months old and by then I felt it was safe enough to let them sleep closer to me.

People have been co-sleeping since the beginning of time. Unless there are alcohol and/or drugs involved, we instinctually do not roll on our babies. It is the most natural way to sleep.

I don't believe this at all - my DH has never taken drugs or drunk alcohol in his life - yet he rolled over onto my DD and I couldn't roll him off her because he was too heavy. I yelled at and punched him for a good long while before I finally roused him to move off my DD and when I pulled her out from under him she was red in the face and gasping for air. The next morning when I told DH what he did he had no recollection of me pounding on him to get him to move off her. Some people are just heavy sleepers.

Well, I was raised with Co-sleeping. I coslept, and so did my brothers, so it was normal to me when I grew up. Then I had kids and it came naturally. I'm a very light sleeper when co-sleeping. In fact, I've woken quickly to baby stopping breathing before and helped her (not because of blankets/suffocation), I think it was normal deep sleep, but it reconfirmed my co-sleeping beliefs. Dh was against co-sleeping until that first night. He's done fine ever since and it's never been an issue. We have a King sized bed. He is a deep sleeper, but wakes to move because of baby. This isn't an issue for either of us. I have a friend who co-slept until she had to go back to work night shift when her dh left her. That first night, her brother laid baby down in a crib for the first time and she died from asphyxiating on her own vomit. They never really figured it out, but you can imagine her pain and guilt. That's one funeral I wish I had never been to, for sure. So I am very paranoid about things like this and it makes me glad I cosleep. Especially since I breastfeed and it's just SO much easier to breastfeed and cosleep. I would be a zombie if I had to get up for feedings!

Our mattress is on the floor and I have a safe bed rail. We do use blankets and pillows, but they are kept away from baby, who is asleep in the crook of my arm. When baby is very little, she is above the blankets in a warm sleeper, with her head elevated on my arm (my babies tended to be colicky and have GERD).

Edited by mommymilkies

"Crib death" is just a slang term. Babies have died of SIDS in cribs, parents' beds, car seats, playpens, and other places.

Correct, although some studies indicate that SIDS is less likely in co-sleeping.

We have two queens pushed together on the floor, and it's amazing. I can't imagine going back to sharing a single queen with my DH. :tongue_smilie: My DH and the cats share one, and DS and I have the other.

I'm a little crazy with the bedsharing safety.

I love the idea of 2 queen beds! fwiw, my sister was nearly suffocated to death by a cat sleeping on her face, and this isn't as unusual as people might think. I would never let a baby sleep in a room with a cat unless I was awake, aleart and watching. My parents were very young and had no idea that that could happen.

I don't believe this at all - my DH has never taken drugs or drunk alcohol in his life - yet he rolled over onto my DD and I couldn't roll him off her because he was too heavy. I yelled at and punched him for a good long while before I finally roused him to move off my DD and when I pulled her out from under him she was red in the face and gasping for air. The next morning when I told DH what he did he had no recollection of me pounding on him to get him to move off her. Some people are just heavy sleepers.

There is a big difference between a father and mother in this regard. Fathers do not have the same maternal instinct kwim. My dh sleeps like a rock. I co-slept with my youngest because it was either co-sleep or no sleep.;) I always slept with him right in the crook of my arm and no blankets or pillows near him. I never roll in my sleep and I'm quite aware of him being there. It was much easier to be able to just nurse him right there. One other thought to consider is whether or not you will be nursing or formula feeding. I saw a study on the news once that said it is much more dangerous to co-sleep with formula fed babies. Basically Nursing babies are drawn to the milk source instead of pillows, blankets, cracks etc. Also nursing moms tend to sleep lighter. I'm not sure if this is true but something to consider anyways.

Thanks all!

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, labor started early Monday morning, stopped, and my water broke. I ended up having my c-section a day early. :)

Right now she likes to sleep in my arms, snuggled up next to me on a Boppy, in her swing, and in the bassinet.

She's cluster feeding like crazy and I'm too tired to feel very safe, though I always wake up in the exact same position I fell asleep in. Once I'm off pain meds and getting more sleep, I'll consider co sleeping again.

The suggestions and experiences have been so helpful!

Yes, there is a HUGE difference in a mother and a father co-sleeping with a child. My husband could not do it. I have never put our babies in the middle of DH and I. I'm always the one in the middle. DH sleeps like a rock and would/could roll on them.

Thanks all!

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, labor started early Monday morning, stopped, and my water broke. I ended up having my c-section a day early. :)

Right now she likes to sleep in my arms, snuggled up next to me on a Boppy, in her swing, and in the bassinet.

She's cluster feeding like crazy and I'm too tired to feel very safe, though I always wake up in the exact same position I fell asleep in. Once I'm off pain meds and getting more sleep, I'll consider co sleeping again.

The suggestions and experiences have been so helpful!

:grouphug: for the baby :party: for you having her :).