Menu

If you could take one educational trip outside of your current country

I'd love to take my kids to England. I'd probably want the youngest to be at least late-elementary school, but would take youngers if it meant not going.

How about you?

That is what I'm trying to decide. I'd love to go to England - if for nothing else but to go see Top Gear live. ;) Not very educational, I know.

India. It has everything from ancient to traditional to modern, from rich to poor, all the main religious traditions, all climates, arts and sciences, and so much more. It's also affordable and relatively safe. And a lot of people speak English in the tourist destinations.

Because of bathroom, food, and other practical considerations, I'd want the kids to be at least 5 or 6.

That is what I'm trying to decide. I'd love to go to England - if for nothing else but to go see Top Gear live. ;) Not very educational, I know.

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's my second choice, and for that exact reason.

My first choice is Australia because that's where DH is from. We're planning to go in the next year or two, which means DD will be 7 or 8.

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's my second choice, and for that exact reason.

My first choice is Australia because that's where DH is from. We're planning to go in the next year or two, which means DD will be 7 or 8.

:D

Which reminds me I have to change my Stigism.

Edited by Parrothead

Man, that's a really tough question. :tongue_smilie: I have two dream vacations that I swear I'm going to go on before I die.

First, I want to go on a European vacation. I want to see Greece, Venice, Rome, Paris, etc. Maybe a side trip to Stonehenge?

The second, I really want to take my kids to Israel. I want to see Jerusalem. I would love to stand on the bank of the Jordon River! Just to stand where Christ stood... Wow! It is a dream of mine that my children see Christ's homeland.

So, I guess if I had to choose one I would choose Israel but I also really want to have the European vacation too so I better get crack a lackin with saving money. :D

I would want my youngest to probably be 13. That would put my oldest at 16. Both of these trips would be a once in a lifetime thing for us so I would want to make sure that they were old enough to really remember them forever.

England - Top Gear would be a bonus :D (they filmed an episode in our city and my son is still annoyed that they were here and we didn't know). We went when my youngest was 9 and he remembers quite a bit but we went again when he was 12 and he remembers a lot more. The first time was a cool immersion in a different culture thing for him but for remembering historical information, or really learning, I think 12 is about the minimum.

I love how much time we spent studying roman empire stuff while in England, and anglo-saxons and vikings and medieval life and...for such a tiny, out of the way place, it covers a huge sweep of history.

Where? Hard to narrow down. How about Earth? LOL OK, I like India because of the diversity.

Age? Eleven or so. They will remember more and it is easier to make the trip educational because they are more likely to somewhat enjoy more adult things like museums. Yes, we took our kids to museums at much younger ages, but I think they enjoy them more as they get older. Older kids will also be able to appreciate the culture more than young kids.

Yesterday, 7yo ds asked if it's possible to take a boat from here (UK) to Dubai (we have friends there). I have no idea what brought it to his mind, but we started to talk about the route, around France, Spain, Portugal, through the Mediterranean and the Suez Canal, around the Arabian Peninsula and to Dubai. I thought about what a fantastic trip that would be with stops in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Egypt, and Israel along the way. I think that would be my ideal educational trip, youngest child 12yo.

The UK and I'd want my youngest to be at least 10, though 12 would be even better.

Having said that, my oldest went on ministry trip with Dh to Slovakia, which included Austria and Hungary when she was 9 and again when she was 11. Now she wants to be a missionary, so it definitely impacted her. :)

We currently have three trips planned, each with a different child as we can't afford to take the entire family to all three destinations. These are based around countries of interest and the foreign language each child would like to study.

Ds 13 is saving a $1000.00 to go to Iceland. We told him that when he reached that goal, we would kick in the remaining $2200.00. It will be a cheap trip...low key hotel, buying easy foods from the grocery or very cheap eat-outs, seeing the country but not doing a lot of expensive touristy stuff. Ds is beginning is studies in Icelandic and is keen to see the "Land of Fire and Ice". We'll be using public transport and lots of walking to do our exploration. We do have a ferry ride to Videy Island planned and there are couple of museums within walking distance of the hotel we are likely to stay at.

Ds 14.5 is beginning German and wants to see Germany. That's actually quite a bit more expensive than Iceland so it's going to take longer to save the money to go. Likely only one or two cities will included in that. But, he'll make due with what we can afford and be thrilled. DH is accompanying on this trip.

Ds 11 wants to study Hebrew/Yiddish and go to Israel. If we can manage it, dh and I will both go with him.

None of these trips will be longer than 10 days - the Icelandic trip is 9 (two days of travel, 6 nights/7 days in country), red eye flight - hopefully we'll be able to sleep - back to Minneapolis, cheap airport hotel for some more sleep, and then the drive home to Michigan. (Yes, we are flying out of Minneapolis/St. Paul with Icelandic Air. Currently it is $600.00 per person less to fly from there than our home port of Detroit. I can drive it for a whole lot less than $1200.00!)

I'd also really like my children to experience another culture. Preferably one that is vastly different from ours. This is another reason, out of many, that dh is considering a 3-5 year move to Thailand. We'll see if that pans out. We've got some concerns about MIL's health and since his sibs are completely unreliable, this may be a show-stopper.

Faith

India. It has everything from ancient to traditional to modern, from rich to poor, all the main religious traditions, all climates, arts and sciences, and so much more. It's also affordable and relatively safe. And a lot of people speak English in the tourist destinations.

Because of bathroom, food, and other practical considerations, I'd want the kids to be at least 5 or 6.

:iagree: I'd go to that part of the world. I've been to Nepal twice (right next to India) and I'd love to take my kids there too.

Where would you go and how old would you like your youngest child to be?

I would love to take them to see the Roman Forum and Coloseum; they made a huge impression on me.

On a less ambitious scale but very full of stuff to do, we loved Vancouver, BC, Canada this summer!

I'd go to Uzbekistan today if I could. I'm also hoping to go to China again and spend several months traveling around by train. I'd like our youngest to be a few years older than he is now (8 would be nice). I also hope I can take my children to the Middle East someday. Both my husband and I have spent a lot of time there and it would be fun to go back with our kids.

But I'd rather live in all those places instead of just visiting. It's so much better.

Come for a visit, would love to meet a WTM person over here! You are right - the hardest part with young kids is the bathroom and food situation. However, kids adapt pretty well and they might surprise you! We went to Hampi this year...you have to put that on your itinerary if you ever come over!

Where? Hard to narrow down. How about Earth? LOL OK, I like India because of the diversity.

Age? Eleven or so. They will remember more and it is easier to make the trip educational because they are more likely to somewhat enjoy more adult things like museums. Yes, we took our kids to museums at much younger ages, but I think they enjoy them more as they get older. Older kids will also be able to appreciate the culture more than young kids.

Just a quick tip...the museums in India...not so good. The historical sites - forts, palaces, ancient ruins, etc are great and the kids will really enjoy those!

Come for a visit, would love to meet a WTM person over here! You are right - the hardest part with young kids is the bathroom and food situation. However, kids adapt pretty well and they might surprise you! We went to Hampi this year...you have to put that on your itinerary if you ever come over!

I'm thinking we might make a trip to India around Christmas 2013. We have friends there as well as an Indian friend here in the US who will accompany us.

I spent three weeks there maybe 10 years ago, and we traveled to many cities in that time. The old forts and palaces and cities like Jaipur were just awesome. The Taj Mahal is a thrill "in person" no matter how many times you've looked at it in photos. Seeing the way everyday people live in various settings is also very eye-opening for someone who has grown up in the US.

It does take a day or so to get used to the haggling and begging, but overall it beats every other trip I've taken so far.

ETA: We did visit Bangalore. My friend's cousins live there. Nice place - and they have the best chikki! From there we drove to Mysore, Ooty (sp? on all these words), Massanguri (friend's relative owned part of the wildlife preserve) and then to the Menakshi temple and then to Trivandram and Kovalam. Probably some other southern stops that I'm forgetting.

Edited by SKL

We've taken the kids to Montreal twice (business for dh). Once when they were 6 & 8, the second time they were 14 & 16. Both trips were wonderful but very different because of their ages. If we could have only gone once, we'd have gone at the older age. We're really hoping to do a tour of Western Europe with them before they leave home. At minimum, Great Britain, France and Spain.

If you want them to remember it, 8ish is probably the youngest you could get away with, and that would still depend on the child. I can remember trips my family took when I was eight, with quite a lot of detail. DH can barely remember trips his family took when he was 12. (Our son is a "rememberer"; our daughter can't remember what I told her two minutes ago. Don't know about the baby yet, but she seems more like her brother.)

For ease of traveling, once they are past the "three week, keep them away from germs" mark, they can't really be too young. The little ones can't help carry their own gear, but they really only need diapers (which can be found most places you travel), wipes, a food source, a warm blankie, and a means of being carried (and a car seat if you are renting a car). They don't argue about what to go see, or over who gets the window seat, etc. Older children can carry their own gear, but think they can't possible live without "_________" (your choice), and have very definite opinions about what to see.

Locals, who might otherwise be stand-offish, don't seem to be able to resist a baby and get suddenly helpful if you've got one.

We took our son to Austria/Germany when he was 10 months. We found diapers at every grocery store and formula at most. Even "our" brands from home. We had a ball; he attracted every Opa and Oma we saw anywhere; we had a lot of fun throwing bread crumbs at the swans on the Hallstaat See, in the fountains at Schonbrunn, etc.

We went again when he was 4 and his sister was 2. Also an easy trip. He still remembers that there "were lots of trains and we rode a bullet train," but not much else. His sister remembers nothing.

I haven't traveled yet to any third world places with my kids. My only trips to third world places were with University groups, which are insulated from local life, because all that stuff was dealt with by directors, etc.

My daughter really wants "to go to China someday." We'll have to research that.

If you want them to remember it, 8ish is probably the youngest you could get away with, and that would still depend on the child. I can remember trips my family took when I was eight, with quite a lot of detail. DH can barely remember trips his family took when he was 12. (Our son is a "rememberer"; our daughter can't remember what I told her two minutes ago. Don't know about the baby yet, but she seems more like her brother.)

For ease of traveling, once they are past the "three week, keep them away from germs" mark, they can't really be too young. The little ones can't help carry their own gear, but they really only need diapers (which can be found most places you travel), wipes, a food source, a warm blankie, and a means of being carried (and a car seat if you are renting a car). They don't argue about what to go see, or over who gets the window seat, etc. Older children can carry their own gear, but think they can't possible live without "_________" (your choice), and have very definite opinions about what to see.

Locals, who might otherwise be stand-offish, don't seem to be able to resist a baby and get suddenly helpful if you've got one.

We took our son to Austria/Germany when he was 10 months. We found diapers at every grocery store and formula at most. Even "our" brands from home. We had a ball; he attracted every Opa and Oma we saw anywhere; we had a lot of fun throwing bread crumbs at the swans on the Hallstaat See, in the fountains at Schonbrunn, etc.

We went again when he was 4 and his sister was 2. Also an easy trip. He still remembers that there "were lots of trains and we rode a bullet train," but not much else. His sister remembers nothing.

I haven't traveled yet to any third world places with my kids. My only trips to third world places were with University groups, which are insulated from local life, because all that stuff was dealt with by directors, etc.

My daughter really wants "to go to China someday." We'll have to research that.

I don't know how much educational traveling one can do for an infant. :D More than likely they won't remember it.

But I get what you are saying. We did not even wait the 3 weeks before we hit the road when dd was tiny.

Gotcha.

I'm gonna have to look up Top Gear--I live under a pretty big rock!

If you ever get a chance to pick an episode to watch I highly recommend Series 8 Episode 6 (2006) the Caravan Holiday.

Their tame racing driver is called The Stig. I have a quote below in my siggy.

Edited by Parrothead

We just got back from a week in Paris. DS is almost 10, which is probably the youngest I would have wanted to attempt it. It was a long, long flight and we walked miles each day. I don't think he could have put up with the physical aspects of a trip like that much younger than this.

Paris was wonderfully educational -- French revolution, art galleries, architecture... We have had so much fun studying the country.

But I wouldn't say it was overly child-friendly. It was so crowded and DS was constantly jostled around and stepped on and knocked in the head with cameras, etc... We had to keep a very tight hand on him at all times, as there were just so many people everywhere we went. (Even though we went during the 'off' season.)

I don't want to fly over the ocean. I don't love to fly and a long flight over the ocean? Eek!
:lol:

That was totally me. I had no interest in flying that far or over the ocean. If it helps, they do fly "up and over" and not straight across the ocean. ;) DH only lured me into the trip with the promise of seeing Monet's garden. :D

So now that we have our first international "field trip" under our belts, DH and I are dreaming of another trip. I would love to go to India, China or Egypt, but I don't think I'm that brave and DH has no interest in visiting those countries. We will probably try to go to UK or Italy before DS leaves the nest.

I've taken my four out of the country a half dozen times, but the trips weren't particularly educational because of their ages. We went to London at the end of August and that was the first time that they all really seemed to get something out of it.

My dream educational trip is a Holocaust tour. I'd like to go through the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Belarus and Latvia. I'd like my youngest to be 11 or 12 when we go.

We have taken our on a number of international trips. Dd went on her first international trip at less than 2 months; ds was about six months on his first international flight.

No, they don't remember that earliest flight, but I do think it has had an impact on them. They don't have a lot of memories of museums or historical places when they were preschoolers on these trips. But, they do remember outings to the park, playing with other kids who didn't speak the same language, going to the grocery store and seeing different choices, etc.

I have had friends who have waited until their kids were "old enough" to remember everything, but then found that their kids were at a self-concious age and wouldn't mingle in the country, try the food, etc.

England or Australia. My kids are both teens, so now. I'd like to go now:D.

I was wondering what was so educational about Australia, then:

Gotcha.

I'm gonna have to look up Top Gear--I live under a pretty big rock!

We have a big rock! A really big rock!

:rofl:

I'd be on a plane to Poland as soon as we could get ds a passport. It'd be educational for dh and I, delightful for my great aunt and the kids would have a grand old time. So they wouldn't remember anything, oh well, they'd enjoy it while it was happening :)

Rosie

LIke most, I have a hard time choosing one since I haven't been outside of America but once and didn't know what to do once I got there anyway.:lol:

Greece, Scotland, New Zealand, places in South America, Italy, Iceland...(sil just got back from Slovenia and LOVED IT.

She also went to the Czech Republic and Slovakia and thought those were great places to visit as well).