Menu

Im really upset.....ok I am LIVID!

OMG DD #2 just told me that yesterday during snack she touched peanuts. OMG!!!!!!! The school assured me that her classroom would be peanut free. She told me that she had to go to the snack room and pick a different snack b/c she couldn't eat her apple b/c she touched the peanuts. I didn't get a note home or a phone call....Im livid! This is her 2nd exposure to peanuts in the classroom since starting K.

I spoke with the Vice Principal and she was apologetic and said she would talk with her teacher and the school nurse.

Sorry not good enough. I go in tomorrow for parent teacher conferences. Should be interesting.

****clarification*****

I do not expect the school to be peanut free. I do expect the school to follow protocol. Which they did not. Apparently when posting my frustration this was unclear.

Edited by my3luvbugs990105
clarification but did not edit first post

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG DD #2 just told me that yesterday during snack she touched peanuts. OMG!!!!!!! The school assured me that her classroom would be peanut free. She told me that she had to go to the snack room and pick a different snack b/c she couldn't eat her apple b/c she touched the peanuts. I didn't get a note home or a phone call....Im livid! This is her 2nd exposure to peanuts in the classroom since starting K.

I spoke with the Vice Principal and she was apologetic and said she would talk with her teacher and the school nurse.

Sorry not good enough. I go in tomorrow for parent teacher conferences. Should be interesting.

an apology is NOT enough -- her classroom should be nut-free -- you need to remind them that this is a libablity issue for them legally

Being that I have a kid allergic to tree-nuts, I would FLIP if something like this happened to DD! Sorry is just not good enough. If she reacted, were they planning to cover all the medical bills?

My other issue is they didn't even give her any benedryl as a precaution. She has a Allergy plan and they were suppose to administer the medication in the event of accidental exposure.

I get that you are pissed. I would be too. But do not go in to the meeting with all the anger. They will just blow you off as an over reacting mom. Be calm. Get your point across in a way that leaves no doubt as to your next step if something like this ever happens again. But do it calmly.

I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry.

Maybe when you go in for your meeting, bring a typed list of the medical costs involved with a reaction- including the cost of replacing the epi-pen once used. Maybe seeing the costs in black and white- and being put on notice that you will go after the school for the costs- will scare them into doing the right thing next time. Besides the whole possible death thing...how can anyone be so non-caring about something so dangerous?? I'd be so livid,too.

I get that you are pissed. I would be too. But do not go in to the meeting with all the anger. They will just blow you off as an over reacting mom. Be calm. Get your point across in a way that leaves no doubt as to your next step if something like this ever happens again. But do it calmly.

:iagree: and so sorry this happened!

This. My DS5 is peanut- and walnut-allergic, so I can feel where you're coming from. Hope things work out satisfactorily--and I'm very glad your DD didn't have a reaction!

My other issue is they didn't even give her any benedryl as a precaution. She has a Allergy plan and they were suppose to administer the medication in the event of accidental exposure.

This is a school that would not be able to host my child anymore then. WOW. I would go nuts on them all at this point.

Oh I know. :) When I spoke with the VP I was calm no anger just to the point. Tomorrow I will do the same.

I'm so sorry this happened. Was it a snack that another child brought, or was it something the school provided?

My DD said it was a bag of peanuts that the student brought from home. This is the second incident. I let the first episode slide b/c it was the beginning of the new school year and sometimes parents need an adjustment period and some education. But DD said when she got the bag open there were little peices all over the place and on the ground. OY!!!

I would be irate and calling for an imemdiate suspension of the teacher and nurse pending investigation. No joke!

Really?? I would be terrified to be a teacher these days. Doesn't seem like it would be worth it.

OP, I'm sorry this happened. Get both sides of the story and then decide what to do.

That is the exact reason we started homeschooling. School was not keeping DS safe, and after repeated conferences ( one where we even brought in the county health nurse with us to explain how serious of a situation this was) - the school still refused to do anything. After all of that, we caught the teacher eating Chex mix (with peanuts) at her desk a few feet away from DS, and we decided to pull him.

an apology is NOT enough -- her classroom should be nut-free -- you need to remind them that this is a libablity issue for them legally

It's awful that it happened, and I'm *truly* not trying to be an oafish clod, but I don't understand how the classroom could be guaranteed to be nut-free. While the school can remind other families, and they can confiscate items when they find them, how on earth can they possibly be expected to guarantee that grandma won't pack a K's lunch one day and not know about the nut issue that another kid might have? :001_huh:

I understand the anger about the treatment plan not being followed, but I don't understand the anger about the fact that we can't catch every allergen.

We live in a world that contains nuts, even though that's really, really unfortunate for some of the folks living here.

Edited by Julie in CA

That is the exact reason we started homeschooling. School was not keeping DS safe, and after repeated conferences ( one where we even brought in the county health nurse with us to explain how serious of a situation this was) - the school still refused to do anything. After all of that, we caught the teacher eating Chex mix (with peanuts) at her desk a few feet away from DS, and we decided to pull him.

I just had this conversation with my husband. Next year she will be in a lunch room with a bunch of kids eating all sorts of things [she has other allergies as well] and there is no telling what will happen.

I understand that I can not keep her isolated but she is 5. Not 10 so I have to depend on the teacher and staff to follow protocol. She is well educated on her allergies. When I had the reminder talk with her this morning she started crying b/c she said she was trying to be a good friend and help the student open his snack. I told her that she can be a good friend but if she see's that it's nuts or she see the word nut or peanut she needs to walk away and let the teacher know.

I would be irate and calling for an imemdiate suspension of the teacher and nurse pending investigation. No joke!

:iagree:

this is not a difference of opinion, this is life and death. Time off, without pay seems the least that should happen, the least.

me too, only my lawyer would be doing it - it writing to the school board. death is not something to play with.

I agree no anger meeting -- you'll get written off.

in writing, calm, cool and demand results.

It's awful that it happened, and I'm *truly* not trying to be an oafish clod, but I don't understand how the classroom could be guaranteed to be nut-free. While the school can remind other families, and they can confiscate items when they find them, how on earth can they possibly be expected to guarantee that grandma won't pack a K's lunch one day and not know about the nut issue that another kid might have? :001_huh:

We live in a world that contains nuts, even though that's really, really unfortunate for some of the folks living here.

They had a parent meeting and sent home a notice. They are also expected to check the snacks. If my daughter had ingested or licked her finger just from touching the snack they would have had to follow the Anaphylactic reaction protocol and I would have found myself in the ER. I EXPECT them to do this b/c it's PUBLIC school and they are required to keep all kids safe even mine.

this is not a difference of opinion, this is life and death. Time off, without pay seems the least that should happen, the least.

me too, only my lawyer would be doing it - it writing to the school board. death is not something to play with.

I agree no anger meeting -- you'll get written off.

in writing, calm, cool and demand results.

But how is the teacher to blame if some parent didn't follow the rules and sent peanuts?

That's just inexcusable. I would be beyond angry. I can somewhat understand a circumstance where someone else packs the other student's lunch for the day and something sneaks in, but not following the protocol after the exposure took place? No excuse for that. Especially since this is the second time!

But how is the teacher to blame if some parent didn't follow the rules and sent peanuts?

well per my situation and the plan that was put into place the teacher should have checked the snacks. The kids put their snack in a bin until snack time. Not that I think the Teacher should be fired or suspended BUT I think the school needs to go over the allergy SOP the district has set in place for kids like mine.

It was a major fail on their part that could have had Life alternating consequences for my daughter.

I can understand your frustration as we want to protect our children and try to put safety measures in place to do so, but we can not rely on the schools to keep our kids safe. We would like to, but there are too many other people involved including those outside the classroom. Grandparents that might be keeping kids that week, pack a lunch and include their grandchild's favorite PBJ. A new sitter packing lunches in the morning with celery and pnb, etc...it's going to happen.

We have to instruct our children to not touch and if so, to make the teacher aware immediately. My friend tells her children: If you do touch peanuts, you MUST tell the teacher: I have touched peanuts. I have a severe allergy to them that could kill me. I need to take benadryl now and call my parents.

Protocol should have been followed afterwards though and that is the main part that I would be focusing on. Accidents are going to happen. What they do after that is important.

IME, there is no such thing as nut/peanut free in schools. When I did my student teaching practicum, I saw teachers eating peanut butter cookies in the library (where we held our staff meetings) and 'sweeping' the crumbs from the cookies onto the carpet. There were several peanut-allergic kids at this school, some anaphylactic. :banghead: Some folks just don't get it. I also had to intervene when a child in our class brought in homemade cookies to share with everyone for his birthday (a classroom tradition), and when asked if there were any nuts in the recipe, the Mom said no. I then asked the more specific question as to what exactly was in the cookies, and she said "crushed Skor bars". Ummmm....don't those have nuts in? Her response, "Oh, I never thought to check. I thought it was just a chocolate bar". (They have almonds)

Fast forward a few years and I have a child of mine own with nut allergies. Yeah, we homeschool. We do so for a while variety of reasons, including the above.

They had a parent meeting and sent home a notice. They are also expected to check the snacks. If my daughter had ingested or licked her finger just from touching the snack they would have had to follow the Anaphylactic reaction protocol and I would have found myself in the ER. I EXPECT them to do this b/c it's PUBLIC school and they are required to keep all kids safe even mine.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be. I wish that we lived in a world where safety could be guaranteed.

because the teacher did not check and because the teacher and nurse did not follow the plan after the contact. AND because the teacher did not contact the OP -- the OP had to hear from her CHILD about the event.

Bottom line...I can't expect anyone else to keep my child safe when it comes to a life threatening food allergy. 2 of my kiddos have peanut allergies. I could go on about this being one of the main reasons we homeschool....but, your dd is in school so I don't want to come across as you being wrong for that decision. One thing is for sure....peanut allergies are scarey stuff. I hope it gets sorted out and that they strictly stick to the original plan you had in place.

If you don't have a child that can lose their life from simple ingestion of a tiny piece of nut, or even the oil, then most times you just don't get it. I have 3 out of 6 with SEVERE nut allergies. My oldest will be dead within a minute of ingesting walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and cashews. There is no time for intervention if the epi-pen is not given IMMEDIATELY. The other 2 are peanuts. Scares me every day. Thankfully the oldest is also allergic to eggs and most things with those nuts contain eggs as well. It is a shame that after an accidental exposure the teacher didn't man up and contact you right away.

If you don't have a child that can lose their life from simple ingestion of a tiny piece of nut, or even the oil, then most times you just don't get it. I have 3 out of 6 with SEVERE nut allergies. My oldest will be dead within a minute of ingesting walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and cashews. There is no time for intervention if the epi-pen is not given IMMEDIATELY. The other 2 are peanuts. Scares me every day. Thankfully the oldest is also allergic to eggs and most things with those nuts contain eggs as well. It is a shame that after an accidental exposure the teacher didn't man up and contact you right away.

If this was the case with one of my children, they would be with me. If it is this severe (and i believe it is!) than why would you trust anyone else with that?

I understand there is protocal. BUT the teacher has 25+ kids they are responsible for. Between, education and every thing else, is it no wonder that public schools are such a failure??

For the people calling for the teachers resignation, time off without pay etc, really?? I highly doubt any teacher would let this happen on purpose! Maybe she/he doesn't even know it happened.

If you want complete reassurance that your child will not be around any kind of nut (or anything else they're allergic to) or allergen, KEEP THEM HOME WITH YOU.

If this was the case with one of my children, they would be with me. If it is this severe (and i believe it is!) than why would you trust anyone else with that?

I understand there is protocal. BUT the teacher has 25+ kids they are responsible for. Between, education and every thing else, is it no wonder that public schools are such a failure??

For the people calling for the teachers resignation, time off without pay etc, really?? I highly doubt any teacher would let this happen on purpose! Maybe she/he doesn't even know it happened.

If you want complete reassurance that your child will not be around any kind of nut (or anything else they're allergic to) or allergen, KEEP THEM HOME WITH YOU.

One of the reasons I gave up classroom teaching was because I had four anaphylactic reactions in one term (12 week period). I could NOT get the parents of one particular class to understand / accept / abide by the whole school nut ban. A small group of them continued to give their children nut butters and sometimes whole nuts every single day, and when they got called out on it they instructed their child to lie (and say it was sunbutter), or conceal their snack (eat it under their desk... more crumbs). It was not until I deliberately exposed myself (topical reaction) to a smear of peanut butter someone's child had left on his desk while the parent was in the room that they began to have even an inking of what I was trying to get through to them. When approached about it the general attitude was: there are no children in the class with allergies. Yes, the teacher does, but she doesn't eat with them.

I'm sorry your child was exposed. Did the teacher actually know? In that case, I'm horrified she didn't follow the protocol but I'd bet something like this happened.. teacher: are you ok? Child: I washed my hands and got a new snack. Teacher: phew, well let me know if you start reacting. (Goes on with day and forgets about it altogether). I'm not saying it's the right reaction, but SO common. People who don't live it really don't understand the timeframes involved / importance of preemptive action.

:grouphug:I sure am glad your daughter was ok, and that she knew to do something about it. I hope you can get them to listen to you.

My dd went to school with a child who had severe peanut allergies. Every day at lunch time the school sat her in a peanut free designated area. The children were asked in the morning who wanted to sit with her that day. Any child who wanted to sit with her had to take their lunch to the nurse to be inspected before they were allowed to sit in the peanut free zone. It seemed to work well and kept this child safe. Maybe you could ask for a similar set-up.

Not every parent is in a position to homeschool. And last I checked, the public schools are under an obligation to provide education for all children, even the severely allergic.

Right, but teachers are also teachers and not nurses, EMTs, and everything else. I feel really sorry for the extreme burdens put on the teachers these days - especially from parents like those who are calling for her suspension. I don't see how this is a whole lot different than a child who had peanut butter for breakfast and comes to school with it on their pants, hands, etc. It happens.

And trust me, I understand. I don't have a child that is anaphalactic, but I do have a child with Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease who can't eat wheat and who needs medication every day of her life to survive. She's at home with me. She could go to school but I understand how burdened the school system is and because I can homeschool her, I do.

I definitely think a discussion about the response should be first priority. I get that teacher is supposed to "police", but I wouldn't count on that. I would count more on make sure the response is 100% in place.

I would also do more education with your daughter on touching peanuts. She sounds like a generous person who just wanted to help her friend - but its probably best to keep her helping to non-food related activities and just tell her to keep to her own food otherwise. I know she's young but she is going to have to learn how to live in the world of nuts, so focusing on "avoidance" on her part and response on the adults around her is probably best. Emma's responses to wheat aren't anaphalactic, but she doesn't eat or handle anything without asking me first if it has wheat in it and since she was about 3 1/2 she has known not to eat any food without me first checking her blood sugar and giving her insulin. She lives it and knows how to function in the world with her diseases, which I believe is the smartest thing I can do for my daughter.

Here's another way to discuss it with the teacher.

When my dd was first diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I read in a book about how to deal with people who say "A little gluten won't hurt". It said to say to them, would you like me to give you a "little bit" of rat poison? Because a little bit of gluten is like a little bit of rat poison to her body.

Seriously, ask the teacher if she would like to touch some rat poison and then eat.

The teacher and the nurse both new. I am LIVID b/c protocol was not followed and I was not made aware of the situation.

I am aware that exposure may or may not happen. BUT what I do expect to happen is that protocol is followed when exposure does happen.

When the children enter the school they wash their hands. IF she is exposed I am suppose to be given a phone call so I can make the decision if Im going to pick her up. They are suppose to give her a dose of bendryl. IF it's ingestion they are suppose to administer Bendryl/EPI, call 911 and then call me.

I fully understand the risks of sending her to school. I fully understand that she is going to be exposed here and there. WHAT I do not fully understand is why protocol was not followed-that is what my main concern is.

I did not post my frustrations to debate homeschooling or whether someones job should be at risk or how parent's who are uneducated about food allergies dont understand the risks.

I do home school but i do not feel anyone should be FORCED to homeschool to keep their child safe from a documented medical conditions. Again this is not a preference (like vegan) or even a faith based choice -- this is a medical issues that could kill the DD.

Schools go waaaay out of the way to make gay children feel safe from teasing, they should be able to keep a child physically safe from a deadly medical condition.

As long as public schools are tax supported and PUBLIC then they need to accomade and keep safe all the children; this is not a private place that can choose the children it wants.

why not put the teacher 'on the beach" without pay for 3 days, 5 days, 7 days? if he or she was in any other profession that was responsible for the safety of the children / people in his or her care and made a lethal mistake -- the punishment would that or more. what would people say if the child had to go to ER or died? then would people want to hold the teacher accountable for not doing his / her JOB.

and OP as far as next year, you can insist the school go nut free -- for the lunch room. you can ask for a nut free zone. I'd suggest demanding the school go nut free, so many have and all should. The school is legally obligated to keep your DD safe

I do home school but i do not feel anyone should be FORCED to homeschool to keep their child safe from a documented medical conditions. Again this is not a preference (like vegan) or even a faith based choice -- this is a medical issues that could kill the DD.

Schools go waaaay out of the way to make gay children feel safe from teasing, they should be able to keep a child physically safe from a deadly medical condition.

Say whaatt? You mean, except for the gay kids who are bullied so much they commit suicide? :glare:

I am sorry this happened to your child. My dd was very aware by age 5 not eat peanuts, touch peanuts, etc. I don't really know what you wanted people to post. Yes, it isn't good that the school can't follow protocol. It is natural that most of us here feel like sending your child to that school is probably going to be continually risky. Many parents here are saying that you can't get fully safe schools and the sooner you realize that, the better off you will be. Who is supposed to be checking the lunches? The teacher while she is in charge of 20-30 small children? I think it is most incumbant that you teach your child what to do. Of course, homeschooling in such a situation is better since you can control the environment and since you are on a homeschooling board and others here have in fact pulled children from school because of medical reasons like peanut allergies, you are going to get such responses. Once you express your outrage, some people will feel it is overblown while others will think your solution isn't drastic enough. That is the nature of a message board.

Not every parent is in a position to homeschool. And last I checked, the public schools are under an obligation to provide education for all children, even the severely allergic.

Yes, I would agree with this. There are all different kinds of disabilities out there, and I am realizing that having a nut allergy is a kind of disability. It isn't as obvious as a child in a wheelchair, but it does require modifications.

It would be so much easier if people didn't need to eat in public!!!! But of course we do it all the time. A child brings a nut muffin on board the bus to eat on the way to school, for example. And there are endless social gatherings that involve food. What is the food allergic child supposed to do - just stay at home all day and live in a bubble?

Even in our homeschool co-op, with a nut-free policy in place, people still accidently bring in snack items to share that, when closely checked, do indeed have nuts as an ingredient. It can be so disheartening to a child (ie, like my son), and I really wish these bad allergies did not exist, but they do.

I think anger is a very really issue that people with food allergies (or their parents) have to deal with. Also how to extend grace and forgiveness when countless people ignore or forget about the child's food allergies. Bitterness only makes it worse. It gives a whole new slant on the term, 'longsuffering'. The other side of the anger coin is fear. Ultimately, what I have had to do is trust that God knows all the days ordained for my son before one of them ever came to be (Psalm 139) and do the best I can to help my son navigate these food allergy waters and put his trust in the Lord, as well.

But, yes, protocol is protocol. In the case of our co-op, I told my son I would talk to the mom that accidently brought the nut ingredient into co-op, and remind other moms of the rule (in order to show my son that I am doing what I can to protect him), and then encouraged my child to practice forgiveness.

Thus, I would encourage the OP to contact the school and make sure everyone understands how the plan wasn't followed... and then end by forgiving (and showing your dc how to forgive). It will go a long ways toward healing, and that is what we all ultimately desire.

Brenda

I'd be very upset too. (My oldest is allergic to peanuts and treenuts.)

Mini-rant: There is so much disdain for "snowflake" syndrome...and nut allergies seem to be shoved into that category. I'm not being hyperbolic when I tell you that a handful of nuts is as dangerous to my child as a loaded gun. From the point of contact, we have *minutes* to act and save his life. My child is lucky to homeschool, but he deserves a seat in a public school just as much as the next kid (who's parents send him with nuts as a purposeful passive aggressive slam at the "snowflake" - who is a CHILD that did not choose to be allergic :glare:).

That said, I'd go in to the meeting calm and collected. Be firm and blunt about the seriousness of the issue and the consequences of failing to protect your dd from a deadly allergen.

I did not post my frustrations to debate homeschooling or whether someones job should be at risk or how parent's who are uneducated about food allergies dont understand the risks.

Well maybe you should have or maybe post this on the after schooling board then? :grouphug:

I'm very sympathetic. I hope you come to a satisfactory resolution and I'm glad your child didn't have a reaction! We have some severe and potentially deadly allergies in our family and my oldest went to 2 years of PS. But I am also sympathetic to what teachers are faced with these days. I volunteered in my 1st graders class weekly. 27 kids, 3 with severe behavioral problems, several with life threatening allergies, kids at the highest and lowest ends of the spectrum, and playground time was cut that year. It was a real eye opener.

Ok so they missed the peanuts that somebody packed that were in a bin to supposedly be inspected.

They didn't inspect the snack bin.

They did not give her Benadryl as a preventative, as per her medical plan.

They did not call you to inform you of the incident, as her medical plan.

AND this is her 2nd nut exposure since school started in september!?!

That is hugely negligent! They need some serious scare tactic education on how serious nut allergies are and how fast they happen, and just how little time the child may have before meds may not even help! WTH!? I would go way up the chain here. The teacher and nurse both failed to protect your dd, and the principal is ultimately at fault as well for not seeing to it that these people in charge of a child's well being are not properly educated, or just simply do not care.

I also think that the parents need a reminder of how serious this is. How hard is it to pack a lunch w/o nuts? Seriously! We are nut free at our house due my 2 yr old's nut allergy. Yes, it could be a grandparent or babysitter packed the peanuts by accident, but I find it is usually careless parents who just don't take this seriously enough- because it's not their child. :glare:

Also, I've heard that some schools in the US do not allow the child to have access to medication themselves, they have to go to the office and get it from the nurse. Please tell me this is not true? Does your dd have access to an epi pen right in her class or is it locked up in the nurses' office? Because the latter is just not good enough, too many variables, too much wasted time.

Any updates on how your meeting went?

This is a sincere question. Does anyone know how schools handle children with other serious medical conditions, such as a suppressed immune system? I know there are those on the WTM board whose children can become deathly ill from a simple cold. The school can't guarantee safety for that child at school, but home tutoring also requires parent involvement ("forced" homeschooling?). What is the solution?

OP, I'm sorry they didn't follow the protocol. Since it's happened two times since school started it's obvious that they are not prioritizing your dd's health. Frankly, it's risky, and in your situation I'd be looking at all my options. :grouphug: