Menu

Help with baby name...does Geneva sound too much like Genevieve

Does Geneva look/sound too much like Genevieve  

1. 1. Does Geneva look/sound too much like Genevieve

• Yes, Geneva probably could be confused with Genevieve
    • No, two different names. No one would ever confuse them.
    • Other

Is it pronounced like the city in Switzerland, or are you saying it with the emphasis on the first syllable - like JEN-uh-vah?

If the former, no.

If the latter, yes. Where I live, local accents would make Geneva sound very similar to Genevieve. I wouldn't think that too big a problem, though; it wouldn't stop me from using it :)

No; I thought "Ginevra" as in Ginny Weasley in Harry Potter. (Personally, I liked Ginny's name so much more once I knew it was short for Ginevra. I like Ginevra!)

There's no telling what people will do, though. People constantly think my dd is "Kayla" because she is "Kyla." Even though they are not the same name, the letters make people think of the more-common Kayla. It's not a deal-breaker though.

Otherwise it seems (to me) a little odd to call a child that. I wouldn't confuse it with Genevieve though.

Laura

It is our sweet great-auntie's name. Geneva was a very popular name for baby girl's born in the 1920's. Our Great-Aunt Geneva is still living :)

Other: I think the are two different names, but I think that it would be possible for people to confuse them.

:iagree:

We have cousins (2 families) that between them have a Junea, and Juvena, (girls) and a Jehan (boy). It's quite hard getting them all right, and getting the right name for the right kid. I love all the names, though, as well as Geneva! Very pretty.

Sure, some people will confuse the names. But I don't think that's a reason to discount a name you love as a possibility. Growing up, "Abbey" was a rather unusual name (despite being a fairly common derivative of a classic) and people would occasionally mishear my name as Amy, Ashley, Gabby, Happy (that was the worst, lol), and who knows what else. ... I've survived. ;)

My sister is named Genevieve (named after our grandmother who randomly went by Jenny.) Anyway, sometimes people who can't figure how to pronounce Genevieve for some reason have called her Geneva. Geneva is simpler than Genevieve, so I don't think you would have that problem in reverse. :001_smile:

I think they're too similar to have both in the same immediate family. But not so similar that many people would get confused. I like Geneva as a name, and I don't think it's weird at all - names that are also places have always been popular (India, Asia, Jordan, Sydney, Paris, Dakota, Virginia, Chelsea, etc etc etc).

I think they're too similar to have both in the same immediate family. But not so similar that many people would get confused. I like Geneva as a name, and I don't think it's weird at all - names that are also places have always been popular (India, Asia, Jordan, Sydney, Paris, Dakota, Virginia, Chelsea, etc etc etc).

In the UK, place names (unless there was a strong family connection) have not been common as given names until recently. I've never connected the name 'Virginia' with the state - it has a meaning separate from that. 'Sidney' was originally a surname.

Laura

Other.

They look awfully similar and some people will confuse the two when they see it written. OTOH, once someone hears the name they will not confuse them.

I know someone who named her dd Geneva because it was a family name. They called her Genna for short.

There was a restaurant in my hometown named Geneva's because that was the owner's name. When I hear the name Geneva, I think old lady, but it's pretty common for one generation's "grandparent names" to become the next one's baby names. I think it's a great choice.

Edited by Liza Lee

They could be confused, but I don't think it would be a huge daily problem that would merit choosing a different name.

For example, I know people named Damien, Melody, and Davin. About 1/3 of the time that they introduce themselves, the other person says

"Oh, nice to meet you, Damon."

"So, where are you from, Melanie?"

"Hi Gavin, I'm Bill."

After they repeat their actual name, the other person usually gets it right. They also immediately spell it when someone is writing it down, otherwise it's often written as the other name. But this doesn't really bother them and it's not a big issue most of the time. It seems much different than a totally unheard-of name or having to spell out something complicated and unintuitive.