Menu

For Republicans, are you watching debates...

For the Republicans (Democrats already have their nominee), are you watching the debates? Have you already selected your candidate? Don't name names since I don't want this thread banned but how are you choosing? For some reason, this time I am having a hard time choosing. However, I won't be voting until March so there will probably be less choices by then.

How will the thread not get deleted? It is a political thread. Political threads are not allowed. Am I missing something? I have been trying to restrain myself (not always successfully, I admit) from posting in these threads because according to my understanding they are not allowed. The last political thing I posted about was a bi-partisan issue, but was deleted in less than 5 minutes. Are people confused about the last sticky versus the latest one? I am asking because the last couple of deleted threads said things like, "well, that got partisan quickly," but how was it not political to begin with? I am genuinely not understanding.

This is the most recent word, right? It says no politics.

As an election season approaches...I feel the need to give y'all some guidelines.

This board is not for the discussion of politics. There are other places to do that.

Yes, we do say that this board is for "hanging out and chatting." That's because parents who teach their kids sometimes just need to...chat. Not about school, just about life.

Having said that...

I don't want to see political threads here that have nothing to do with home schooling. It was the last presidential election that forced us to ban political avatars, slogans, and partisan discussions. I'm already seeing threads that appear to be posted simply to start political arguments. Not interested, people. Chat about something else, here. Or go talk about politics, somewhere else.

Simple. :001_smile:

SWB

P.S. And, to clarify: the ban against political statements in avatars and signatures is STILL in effect.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Because I am not asking about who anyone votes for- I am asking about how people are getting informed for the vote. I could ask Democrats how they are doing that too but there is no primary vote for the Democratic Presidential Ticket, as far as I know. I am trying to gauge how interested people here are more than a year away from the election. In my view, much of the media thinks we have all made up our minds and that everyone is so engaged in the political process. I have a suspicion that in reality, people who don't vote in the early states (IA, NH, SC, and then Fl, I think) are not as engaged as the media seems to think we should be. I know I will be voting both in the primary and the general election but I haven't done any serious looking into any of the candidates yet since I figure by the time I vote, there will probably be half of them gone if not more.

No, I am not watching. I will read some news articles and such, but unless a Republican comes out in favor of The Occupy Wall street protesters, I will be switching to the "dark side." I have been a Republican since I could legally vote, but I guess that is about to change.

Edited: This is just "the straw the broke the camels back" for me.

For the Republicans (Democrats already have their nominee), are you watching the debates?

Yes. I've watched all of the debates so far.

Have you already selected your candidate?

I haven't narrowed it down to one candidate yet, but there are a few candidates that I definitely won't vote for in the primary election.

Don't name names since I don't want this thread banned but how are you choosing?

I'm looking at a their stance on the issues, their experience, the plans they are proposing, their abillity to articulate their message clearly, and their ability bring people together and appeal to a broader base of people.

For some reason, this time I am having a hard time choosing. However, I won't be voting until March so there will probably be less choices by then.

I am also having a hard time choosing. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I think I'm going to have to set aside some time to read through their proposals (as opposed to just skim over them) before I make a final choice.

I have been a registered Independent since the last election. I belong to no party. I've looked at candidates' backgrounds and voting records if they have held office before. I don't care what they say in a debate. I care about what they do. So no, I don't watch debates. I'm not interested in best performer in a debate.

Why can't anyone watch the debates? Why is it a Republican thing? I watch debates from various parties.

I've always loved watching debates! I was pulling up really old ones on YouTube a couple of weeks ago for Switzerland to show him the differences in "styles" of politicians. We had a great discussion about how the shift from radio to television changed the voting habits of America (video killed the radio star - thank you the Buggles...).

I think that this particular election cycle is very dynamic, and not only due to events in the US. The EU AND the Euro are both teetering on collapse, the middle east is more fubar than normal... it's like the world is suddenly MAGNIFIED (even though, of course, it's not - things have been going down the rabbit hole for quite some time).

So, to stop rambling - it is as if our 24 hr news cycle is even more jam packed and sped up than usual - and trying to keep up with who our next elected leaders will be is, quite frankly, dizzying. Switzerland will be able to vote for the first time and is trying to absorb as much as possible!

a

I haven't been watching the debates, they just seem too geared toward entertainment. I've been reading up on where the candidates stand on issues that are important to me and I also enjoy discussing them with a few personal friends whose opinions I value a great deal. I think I've got my vote picked, but like a previous poster said, the actual primaries are a ways off, so my choice could change. There's no one I'm ready to go sticking signs in my yard for though.

Same here. In fact in NY you can even be registered with no party (which apparently is something different than registering as an independent because they are two separate options). I'm registered with no party. The only pain in the neck thing is I get mail and calls from all parties. I suppose that's not totally bad, but come election time it's hectic!

I can clarify-- I'm a Registrar of Voters in my town.

Unless there is a political party in your state called "Independent" (and in some states there are) you cannot "register as an independent and belong to no party." That is called "Unaffilliated." Many folks, when filling out their voter registration cards, do not check either major party box and instead write "Independent" on the line, intending to register as "not Republican and not Democrat." This may unintentionally register them with the Independent party in their state, depending upon how the Registrar who processes their application inputs the data.

In my small town, we have a local "Independent" party (about 15 members, all very cranky, but still....) so I always call the voter when I see this on their form, asking whether they intended to join that party or to be unaffilliated.

I don't know what state you live in, but in CT, a voter who belongs to neither party but is registered to vote is "unaffilliated" and cannot vote in a primary, as he/she is neither a Republican or a Democrat and we have a closed primary system in our state.

Anyway, hope that sheds some light. Or maybe it doesn't. :001_smile:

astrid

I haven't watched them this time, but I have for the last several elections. I think there are things to be seen about character if nothing else in a debate, & it's a chance to hear more than just a sound bite. I don't think a transcript could convey enough about body language, tone, etc.

I'm a registered Republican, but like Simka, I'm pretty disillusioned. Not sure where that puts me, but I can tell you that 2 of the front runners for the Republicans right now have my pre-formed opinions: a) would not vote for X under any circumstances b) wished Y had been an option previously. If Y becomes an option this time, I'll reread about him & probably do a happy dance.

Is that vague enough to be allowed? As far as HOW I've determined how I feel, I've followed X's career for quite a while & Y's for several years. While I think all politicians are probably liars, I feel exceptionally confident about this assessment of X. And I think he's the more likely candidate. :glare:

Yes, I have watched all of them so far. I prefer to watch them myself than to receive some news commentator's impression of the debate. I watched the last presidential election debates as well and often wondered whether I had watched the same debate as the commentator :)

I am also finding it an excellent activity to participate in with the boys. At this point, they are becoming more politically savvy and we discuss whether the question was actually answered, whether the question was idiotic (quite a few are) and not worthy of an answer, and whether we agree with the answer. We also enjoy the post-debate shows in that it helps the boys see bias in the observers and commentators.

No, I have not picked "my" candidate. However I have a few favorites. Some candidates that I had some reservations about have pretty well proven that I wouldn't want to support them. The debates are certainly not the only thing I'm using in picking a candidate. But I like to see them under pressure, I like to see how they respond to criticism, and I like to see what points they think will be the "kill" issues (like the vaccination issue).

Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is.

C. S. Lewis - Mere Christianity (1952)

I'm taking my laptop to scouts tonight in order to watch the upcoming debate :)

I have been watching the debates. I haven't picked a candidate yet. It's not the only research I do on candidates, because as others have said the discussion in debates tends to be pretty shallow and sound bite focused, but I do like to see how each candidate carries him- or herself, how they respond to off-hand comments, whether they seem like they're likely to lose their tempers over silly little stuff, that sort of thing. In addition to competence, relevant experience, and a position on various issues that I can support, I would prefer a president with poise, dignity, and a diplomatic air. Some of the candidates don't come across as particularly thoughtful, mature grown-up human beings, and I don't want to vote for someone who would be a public embarrassment. It won't matter much if a candidate agrees with me on every issue if (s)he can't present him-/herself in such a way as to be taken seriously by the people with whom (s)he will come into contact in the course of carrying out the job of president.

I can clarify-- I'm a Registrar of Voters in my town.

Unless there is a political party in your state called "Independent" (and in some states there are) you cannot "register as an independent and belong to no party." That is called "Unaffilliated." Many folks, when filling out their voter registration cards, do not check either major party box and instead write "Independent" on the line, intending to register as "not Republican and not Democrat." This may unintentionally register them with the Independent party in their state, depending upon how the Registrar who processes their application inputs the data.

In my small town, we have a local "Independent" party (about 15 members, all very cranky, but still....) so I always call the voter when I see this on their form, asking whether they intended to join that party or to be unaffilliated.

I don't know what state you live in, but in CT, a voter who belongs to neither party but is registered to vote is "unaffilliated" and cannot vote in a primary, as he/she is neither a Republican or a Democrat and we have a closed primary system in our state.

astrid

In California the only option for those who don't want to affiliate with a political party is the "decline to state" option.

This really rubs some people the wrong way. During the Red-Scare it was even a dangerous option as "declined to state" could raise the suspicion of Communist Party affiliations.

We also have a very right-wing party here called the "American Independent Party" and it is always amusing when people on the left who "think" they are registering as "independents" find out they are registered with a party of the far-right.

Bill

I hate debates. I like discussions. But back to debates and this goes for all parties, they are dull and predictable unless someone throws up or splits a seam.

I agree. I think debates are pretty much pointless. I'd much rather have them all sit around and discuss various issues, in the style of those Sunday morning political roundtables. (I'm not a Republican, and my dislike of debates extends to both parties.)

astrid

As we don't have a primary system in the UK, I've always been unsure how it was decided who could vote in the primaries for each party.

Do people ever register tactically? For example, if you think that the presidential candidate of the party you don't support is likely finally to be elected, you could register to vote in the primaries for that party, in order to sway the vote in favour of your 'least worst' candidate.

Laura

Do people ever register tactically? For example, if you think that the presidential candidate of the party you don't support is likely finally to be elected, you could register to vote in the primaries for that party, in order to sway the vote in favour of your 'least worst' candidate.

Laura

It would technically be "legal" to register to be part of a party you would not support in order to try to influence the party nominee, either to get one you consider "the least worse" or the most unelectable.

That said, I have never know of anyone actually doing this.

Bill

I have never been more politically disengaged as I've been this past year. It's like I flipped a switch. I've always been politically well informed, but I just can't bring my self to engage lately. I just feel so jaded where politics is concerned . . .

Lisa

:iagree:. I'm so glad that politics are banned on this board because I don't really even want to see it. I'll vote but I might not be happy with who I'm voting for.

I'm surprised that this thread isn't gone yet. It's a nice discussion but still a political one.

It would technically be "legal" to register to be part of a party you would not support in order to try to influence the party nominee, either to get one you consider "the least worse" or the most unelectable.

Bill

I think most people, even if that sounded very appealing, wouldn't want to give up the opportunity to vote in their own party's primaries.

I think most people, even if that sounded very appealing, wouldn't want to give up the opportunity to vote in their own party's primaries.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I also think it is one of those few places left in American life where such a thing conflicts with most peoples sense of fair-play.

Bill

Bill

Not in a closed party system... but when they can vote in any primary, regardless of affilation, yeah... it happens.

Bill

And not all states have you register for a certain party. In TN, for the primary, you just tell them which ballot you want when you go to vote. When you register, you do not pick a "party".

When I first registered to vote most people were registered as one party because most of the local and state candidates ran on that party's ticket. Therefore most of the elections were decided in the primary so you registered with that party in order to vote.

Now no party is particularly dominant here so it doesn't matter as much.

Laura

I don't know anyone who's ever done it, but here in NH, yes, it is very easy to do. You can change your party affiliation on the day you vote, cast your ballot, then change it back immediately after you drop your ballot in the machine.

I've watched most of the debates so far.... Only one of which has been even remotely "engaging", IMO.

I like the idea of round table discussions rather than formal debates. I watch the debates for the reasons some others have stated.... body language, response under pressure, and sometimes, just to see if one of the so-called underdogs is even going to get a chance to speak much. :glare:

What I'd really like to see is for each primary candidate to stand up against the incumbent in a debate prior to the beginning of primaries. I think that would tell us whether some "non-electables" are really electable or not. It would give them a chance to shine -- or not -- against the real deal. This business of all the candidates of one party debating back and forth among themselves over the same ol' stuff month after month gets redundant.

And no, I haven't decided yet who "my" candidate is. I probably have it narrowed down to one of four choices, but it's still early.

Laura

Unfortunately, I have known one person that has done this with our local state government.

I have been watching the debates. I hadn't really been that impressed with any of the candidates. I was leaning towards one candidate but wasn't sure if he/she was the right one. However, a week or two ago I saw that candidate being interviewed on a news station and I liked what I saw. Basically before seeing that interview I liked everything I saw about that candidate but wondered if this person would cave under pressure. After seeing that interview I am pretty sure this person can hold their own. At the moment that is my pick, but there is still a lot of time left and things can change.

Not in a closed party system... but when they can vote in any primary, regardless of affilation, yeah... it happens.

And not all states have you register for a certain party. In TN, for the primary, you just tell them which ballot you want when you go to vote. When you register, you do not pick a "party".

California always had closed primaries (meaning one could only vote in primaries For members of ones declared party. But last year a ballot proposition changed things. We have a new system (for us) in almost all races (except the one for President) where it is an open primary where you can vote for any candidate from any party and the top 2 finishers face each other in the general election, no matter if they are both from one party or the other.

It should be interesting.

Bill

I watch almost all the debates. I am not a Republican, though sometime I vote for Republicans.

In a primary election, I try to choose the candidate who's views most closely match my own, regardless of "electability."

I am pretty sure I have my candidate chosen, but also have a (distant) second possibility as well.

Speaking of primaries...

I just thought of something: since I'm currently living abroad, I'm pretty much reliant on YouTube to see them. And also dependent on finding news articles to learn about candidates for the local elections in the city/county/state where I am registered to vote (I feel that those are very important elections).

One thing I find very frustrating is that the "League of Women Voters" pamphlets aren't on line. I don't know if anyone else has heard of these, but they are awesome - they have a bio of each candidate and an outline of their positions on a slate of topics (same topics, each candidate). It allows the voter to actually COMPARE candidates. They are very helpful for local elections when you have EIGHT people on a ballot for the same office.

It has gotten to the point that I just end up calling my sister and asking her about each person on the ballot (she's a very informed voter) before marking it and sending it in.

That is a long diatribe to say that I think people often forget how important their local elections are, and how important it is to vote - even if you're FAR away.

a

I am an independent.

I have not watched any debates, as they are not usually on regular broadcast television.

I chose my favorite Rep. candidate a while ago, but I have little hope that he can make it through the primary process. Not because he isn't a good candidate, but because of the way that things went last time around. It seems like people other than voters pick the front runner before the primaries really get going. I also hope that all those states trying to move up their primaries STOP. I think that whole thing should be re-done.

In Ohio, I am not a registered anything. I voted in the last primary for the person of 3 that I wanted to see be president most. For me, as I am honest, it is a good system...but I can see where it can be abused.

(BTW, I didn't read all these replies.... just gleaning)

No, I am not watching. I will read some news articles and such, but unless a Republican comes out in favor of The Occupy Wall street protesters, I will be switching to the "dark side." I have been a Republican since I could legally vote, but I guess that is about to change.

Edited: This is just "the straw the broke the camels back" for me.

Me too :)

I've been watching most of the debates. I agree that they aren't the most useful forum to judge the candidates, but I do like to see how they handle themselves under pressure, etc.

I will support whichever candidate is the nominee, of course, but I do have a favorite and one that is a close second.

I'm definately intereseted, but since I don't watch too much tv, I don't even know for when they are scheduled....:glare: My interest in watching is mainly because I think it's important to "see" how the candidates "present" themselves. Not just talking attire here.... There verbals and non-verbals speak volumes!

So....did I miss them...embarrassed to ask.

Hey, thanks to all the posters for keeping this discussion civil and more like I wanted. I don't mind at all Democrats and independents responding. Like one of the posters, I don;t like the move to even earlier primaries. I would like a change in the primary/caucus system but not really sure how to implement. I do know that I like primaries better than caucuses.

Asta- I also had problems figuring out how to vote when away from our state. For many years, we were CA voters and it did a very good job of sending informative election brochures. When we switched to Florida, it wasn't quite as good but I looked up people on the internet. FOr the offices I couldn't find information, I just didn't vote. I remember when there was some discussion about whether people who didn't vote the complete ballot should have their ballots thrown out. What a bad idea! Maybe they were like me and didn't feel informed enough about some office to vote. Maybe they didn't like any of the candidates for a given office. Maybe they just felt that they should vote for this office not that one. Whatever the reason, it should not mean their vote is invalid.

In a primary election, I try to choose the candidate who's views most closely match my own, regardless of "electability."

I chose my favorite Rep. candidate a while ago, but I have little hope that he can make it through the primary process. Not because he isn't a good candidate, but because of the way that things went last time around. It seems like people other than voters pick the front runner before the primaries really get going.
These two comments are exactly why I'd like to see each of the candidates debate 1-on-1 with the incumbent BEFORE the primary voting begins. I think there are some excellent candidates out there who don't stand a chance because the media (or the establishment) has already chosen for us. In fact, some of those "non-electables" may make a better president than the one who's most popular. I think that seeing ALL of the candidates up against the incumbent 1-on-1 would not only tell us volumes about who would REALLY be electable, but would also encourage more of us to vote for the one who most closely matches our views, rather than for the one who's deemed "most electable".

Just think... if more of us actually voted for the one we like best, then maybe the term "most electable" would go away. We'd actually be getting someone in there that the PEOPLE want. (Saying this in general, btw, not just specific to this election.)

I also hope that all those states trying to move up their primaries STOP. I think that whole thing should be re-done.
Agree. It seems very unfair to the people to mess around with the dates.