Menu

climbing toddler, aka I'm going to LOSE MY MIND!

Ok, I can't do this anymore!!! I spend ALL DAY getting the toddler off of the table, off of the desk, off of the kitchen table, off of the counter, off of the back of the couch, etc. I put her in her high chair a lot to watch sesame street while we are doing school, so I don't want to stick her in their any more than I already do. I think she can climb out of the playpen (she's trying so I put it away before she gets hurt), so that is no help, and again, I think she needs to be down exploring and playing anyway. But heavens!!! I'm already losing it and it is only 9am. She figured out how to push the chair over to the counter to get into the glass sugar bowl. AFter reprimand nuimber 6 million in 2 days I moved the sugar bowl and in desperation put some tupperware there for her to play with, thinking hey, she wants to stand on a chair, I'll let her stand on the chair at the counter and play with the tuppeware. Aparrantly that isn't fun, and she climbed the kictchen table to play with the antique china that I had put on a shelf out of her reach. At least, it used to be out of her reach. There is also a window there to fall into. I have to have her in the kitchen with me when I'm cooking or cleaning, or she will be in the other room climbing on the desk or dining room table. She particularly likes to dance on tables. :glare:

So...today I've decided the kitchen chairs need to go in the garage. That way I have one room she can't climb in. Is that insane? I just can't take it!!! And she is NOT an advanced toddler, she doesn't get reprimands. I tried putting her in her crib every time, but she just plays. She's too young for time out. I won't spank a baby for developmentally appropriate exploration (or any other reason), so I feel I have no other option.

That still leaves me pulling her off the other tables a million times a day, but might give me SOME peace. We never sit at the kitchen table anyway, we just use it for folding laundry. Laundry she likes to climb on and throw around.

ugh.

Any other suggestions?

My now 16dd was like that as a toddler. What we ended up doing was getting one of those Little Tykes plastic play structures (and we got the BIG one with 5 foot slide) and put it in the LIVING ROOM. I figured if she was going to climb all day we would just give her something positive to climb. It might have looked weird but it really helped and helped to keep her safe.

Alternative place to play--What can you do outside? Do you have anything for her to climb there? Can you take school outdoors for a couple of hours to wear her out a bit?

Alternative climbing activity--Can you pull out a big pile of couch cushions and nearly every pillow in the house for her to climb on?

Alternative sensory activity--Is she needing a lot of sensory input? Do you have water play set up, or lentils, or sand? Can you redirect the climbing to some other sensory-rich play?

Wear her out strategy, continued--Does she like to run/chase a ball/go for long walk/swim/etc. before school time?

Would she like a large mat and some toddler climbing toys? Or some big blocks, like on the bottom of that page? The climbing stuff is expensive, but you could probably find something on Craigslist. Even one of those cubes to climb on might work, if you have some matting underneath. Something like this but just 4 sides of climbing. Then just redirect, redirect, redirect...

Alternative place to play--What can you do outside? Do you have anything for her to climb there? Can you take school outdoors for a couple of hours to wear her out a bit?

Alternative climbing activity--Can you pull out a big pile of couch cushions and nearly every pillow in the house for her to climb on?

Alternative sensory activity--Is she needing a lot of sensory input? Do you have water play set up, or lentils, or sand? Can you redirect the climbing to some other sensory-rich play?

Wear her out strategy, continued--Does she like to run/chase a ball/go for long walk/swim/etc. before school time?

Would she like a large mat and some toddler climbing toys? Or some big blocks, like on the bottom of that page? The climbing stuff is expensive, but you could probably find something on Craigslist. Even one of those cubes to climb on might work, if you have some matting underneath. Something like this but just 4 sides of climbing. Then just redirect, redirect, redirect...

A climbing structure in the living room might be the way to go. That's what we did with my son at this age, but we had carpet. Here we have all hard floors and dh is worried about her falling and hitting her head. Money is tight, so the mat is more an issue of money than anything.

Sensory play was great for my son, but she would eat all of it. I do water play at least once a day, in her high chair. But lentils, playdough, sand would be eaten. I tried having her string pasta on a shoelace, she ate the raw pasta. She can't even have crayons because she eats them instead of coloring. She can use pen or pencil only.

God love her.

OUtside is too hot to do much, it is still in the 90's here. And humid. And fire ants. Etc.

Edited by ktgrok

LOL--well, let's see, what else...

(I'm avoiding housework...)

Can you get your hands on a large box and put junk mail and scrap newspaper in it for her to play with, fling about, tear up? It won't hurt her to take a bite, and she won't like the taste...lol

Maybe waterplay OUT of the high chair, so she can really get down into it? deep tub set in a bigger tub on a beach towel in your kitchen, with you watching out of the corner of your eye so she doesn't get into trouble?

Do you have a kiddie pool? Can you put lots of things to explore in it for her? a few blocks, some spoons, some containers, some pots and lids, some stuffies, some tubes--sit and play for a few minutes with her, then turn her loose.

Some sort of fill and dump activities? think colorful and attractive. Different sized blocks in shoe boxes to open and dump and put back in (put it on a large beach towel so she gets the idea to not toss them too far--training involved)

Can you make her a fort or a tunnel, or get one of those crawl-thru tunnels? Again, spend a few minutes searching Craigs if you want. It's prime time for garage sales, too! lol

ITA about outside. Water is your friend there. But fire ants...yuck. We had them in Dallas. Wish I could eradicate them from the earth.

You've described life with my 10 month old. :glare:

He's a joy, but always two steps ahead of me. We've mostly created a safe environment so he can climb risk-free. (Including replacing walk-over baby gates with extra-tall walk-throughs.) I don't mind that he's on the table, I just don't want him to fall. :lol: Fortunately, he's mostly figured out how to get down safely, or at the very least, to yell until I come get him down.

One solution has been a parent-child toddler class at the Y that gives him an outlet for those large motor activities.

Also a baby pool filled with balls for a makeshift ball pit ($20 for 250 at TRU) has helped. A tunnel like a PP mentioned too! We've also done indoor climbers as well as lots of ride-on toys.

Good luck! I feel your pain!

ETA: Can you babywear at all still? Throwing my guy on my back while I'm cooking or cleaning still works (though he's less tolerant of long stretches). The way he throws himself around back there, however, I'm not counting on it for much longer. :sad:

Edited by Zuzu822

You've described life with my 10 month old. :glare:

He's a joy, but always two steps ahead of me. We've mostly created a safe environment so he can climb risk-free. (Including replacing walk-over baby gates with extra-tall walk-throughs.) I don't mind that he's on the table, I just don't want him to fall. :lol: Fortunately, he's mostly figured out how to get down safely, or at the very least, to yell until I come get him down.

One solution has been a parent-child toddler class at the Y that gives him an outlet for those large motor activities.

Also a baby pool filled with balls for a makeshift ball pit ($20 for 250 at TRU) has helped. A tunnel like a PP mentioned too! We've also done indoor climbers as well as lots of ride-on toys.

Good luck! I feel your pain!

ETA: Can you babywear at all still? Throwing my guy on my back while I'm cooking or cleaning still works (though he's less tolerant of long stretches). The way he grows himself around back there, however, I'm not counting on it for much longer. :sad:

I could wear her, but again, my goal is to give her time down on the ground. Between schooling time and when I'm doing dishes or showering she spends more time in the highchair or otherwise confined than I would like.

I'm bringing my hubby into this one, because I need help. Hopefully he will think of something.

Oh, and we did try water play on the floor. She preferred to sit in the water, then climb. Painting with water and qtips on colored paper works for a few minutes though.

Can you gate off a space that's big enough for her to play, yet doesn't have anything high to climb on? Maybe a dining room (remove chairs to hall or other space so she can't get up on the table) or part of living room or family room?

Can you give her things to do, like big empty boxes to get into and out of, blankets/sheets to make forts, toys to play with - nothing tall - but enough things to get her attention away from climbing on things?

I could wear her, but again, my goal is to give her time down on the ground. Between schooling time and when I'm doing dishes or showering she spends more time in the highchair or otherwise confined than I would like.

I'm bringing my hubby into this one, because I need help. Hopefully he will think of something.

Oh, and we did try water play on the floor. She preferred to sit in the water, then climb. Painting with water and qtips on colored paper works for a few minutes though.

Oh, right. I forgot that you were using the highchair during school time. All my kids are so young, our formal time is still so short (though of course, the baby still hates it).

Creating some kind of indoor, safe, obstacle course might be the best bet! :grouphug:

Oh, what about a small trampoline? I can't remember exactly how old she is, but the ones with the handles might work.

Mine climbed constantly. I ended up just letting him because he was pretty stable. His favorites were the back of the couch to look out a high window and the dining room table, which he vaulted off (lay on tummy with legs hanging off, swing legs, and push off to land) with a perfect landing every time. He climbed the couch by 13 months of age; the table came a month or two later.

He terrified other parents at the park. I would have to save him from being saved by the parents. I always told them to just watch, and they were always amazed by how well he climbed. The only time he really scared me was when he tried to climb down a climbing wall that led to the walkway of the play structure about 8 feet up. I couldn't reach him to spot him. Fortunately, he changed his mind.

These days, he still likes to climb, and I can usually keep him from climbing inappropriately (like the outside of a tunnel slide).

:grouphug: It is disconcerting.

My oldest son was my climber. I found teh best way to deal with it was to provide ways to climb safely. SO I got a little tikes toddler cube and set it up in the livingroom. Yes it took up almost all the space, yes it takes away from the decor. Yes it saved my sanity and my furniture. I also had good climbing things out in the yard, and we would go for a walk just to find the best climbing trees etc. When a safe option to use those gross motor skills and appease the climbing bent is offered you will find that the craziness you are feeling will drop dramatically.

So I wake one night in the pitch blackness to this very quiet sound.

It sounds like, "Uh oh!" over and over again.

I reach out. I find DD but DS isn't there. Panic time!

So I wander across the house trying to find him.

I find him in the kitchen. HANGING by his shirt from one of the cupboard handles. With Oreos all over his face. About 3 feet off the ground. (Cupboards all the way to the ceiling.)

I asked him if he was trying to get to the cookies and his response, "No. Why do you ask?"

The cookies were on top of the refrigerator so DS crossed over two countertops, the sink, and the stove and then apparently fell on his way back down.

Climbing toddlers. Been there. Done that. Had the heart attack to prove it. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you while you go through it.

Edited by Jennifer3141

I used to have one or two designated rooms where there was plenty to do, but it was all safe. I would move the girls from room to room at different times of the day, so they didn't get bored with the scenery. There needs to be something she is allowed to climb on and something she's allowed to completely trash, in a safe area that's fun to play in.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she can climb, she can probably learn to stay in one room/area. Alternatively, shut the door in a "safe room" and let her play there when you really need to concentrate on your other kids. If she doesn't like to be shut in, maybe you can use that as a threat/teaching tool until she learns to stay where she's supposed to.

Another thing to try is putting a big sheet over the table and letting her play under it. Or put all the couch cushions/pillows in a pile in the middle of the floor, for a safe climbing option. Just something to feed her creativity and provide a change of scene.

I find him in the kitchen. HANGING by his shirt from one of the cupboard handles. With Oreos all over his face. About 3 feet off the ground. (Cupbaords all the way to the ceiling.)

:lol::lol:This post has me cracking up. My oldest the climber is also my notorious snack thief. I could completely picture him being the one stuck on the cupboard handle when I read this.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:...my ds was a tree-climber in addition. Come to think of it, the climbing never really stopped. He ws 4yo when he climbed our fence and into a neighbor's yard, and then proceeded to climb a ladder they had propped against their house...and climbed onto their roof, all in about 3 minutes time.

Another word to the wise - maybe store tempting stuff somewhere other than "up high." My kid brother used to build unstable towers of household stuff to get the candy my parents "hid" on top of the tall furniture. It's sort of asking for trouble if you put things "up" when you have a known climber.

Sensory play was great for my son, but she would eat all of it. I do water play at least once a day, in her high chair. But lentils, playdough, sand would be eaten. I tried having her string pasta on a shoelace, she ate the raw pasta. She can't even have crayons because she eats them instead of coloring. She can use pen or pencil only.

God love her.

Oh my gosh, we have the same child! I locked away my chairs months ago. It made my life so much better. I really do think he would like more sensory play, but he just won't stop putting things in his mouth! He would love playdough, but it would just turn into one giant tantrum when I tried to keep him from eating all of it. It would be a disaster, I'm sure of it. I'm hoping it won't be too many more months before he can handle not putting things in his mouth as much.

Another word to the wise - maybe store tempting stuff somewhere other than "up high." My kid brother used to build unstable towers of household stuff to get the candy my parents "hid" on top of the tall furniture. It's sort of asking for trouble if you put things "up" when you have a known climber.

The problem is she thinks ANYTHING is tempting if it is up high. Well, other than the tupperware she is already allowed to play with, lol. But I just don't have enough storage to keep everything in cabinets. We have two cabinets for dishes, and one for pots and pans, and two for food. The stupid people that lived here before us took out a set to put in a trash compacter!!!

I do think getting rid of the kitchen chairs may be the only way to go for now.

And we do now keep all drinks off of the dining table and desk, because she will climb to get those. And I give her her own "big girl" non sippy cup with water whenever I see her eyeing those.

My oldest son was my climber. I found teh best way to deal with it was to provide ways to climb safely. SO I got a little tikes toddler cube and set it up in the livingroom. Yes it took up almost all the space, yes it takes away from the decor. Yes it saved my sanity and my furniture. I also had good climbing things out in the yard, and we would go for a walk just to find the best climbing trees etc. When a safe option to use those gross motor skills and appease the climbing bent is offered you will find that the craziness you are feeling will drop dramatically.

Thanks for reminding me of this. My son was a climber too, worse than she is actually, and much earlier. But that was 12 years ago and I just think i blocked it all out. He still climbs trees, houses, etc...but I don't watch. However, he did break an elbow climbing the dining room stools. And as my daughter has already had a broken elbow, I'd like to avoid more casts!

I think we will look at getting a climbing play structure with a mat for christmas for her.

Oh that brings back memories. My DD's second year (12 months - 24 months) was the absolute HARDEST PARENTING YEAR OF MY LIFE because of her climbing. It was insatiable - climbing came as naturally to her as walking comes to most toddlers. It took so much energy just to keep her safe, and I got many shocked stares from people when were at playgrounds at what she was capable of climbing as a bald 18 month old. I was doing GOYB parenting all the time.

The good news is that everything got easier once she turned 2 - so if you can just hold out a few more months it will get better. Cognitively, once she was 2 (and had conquered most things to climb) she didn't do it as much anymore, and the things she did climb were mostly ok (and she had better impulse control to not get into as much mischief).

I used to have one or two designated rooms where there was plenty to do, but it was all safe. I would move the girls from room to room at different times of the day, so they didn't get bored with the scenery. There needs to be something she is allowed to climb on and something she's allowed to completely trash, in a safe area that's fun to play in.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but if she can climb, she can probably learn to stay in one room/area. Alternatively, shut the door in a "safe room" and let her play there when you really need to concentrate on your other kids. If she doesn't like to be shut in, maybe you can use that as a threat/teaching tool until she learns to stay where she's supposed to.

Another thing to try is putting a big sheet over the table and letting her play under it. Or put all the couch cushions/pillows in a pile in the middle of the floor, for a safe climbing option. Just something to feed her creativity and provide a change of scene.

I think we are going to make the kitchen the safe room. it has a bit window that goes down to the floor right by the kitchen table. She likes to stand in the windowsill behind the table to look out. That would be fine. If I take away the chairs she won't be able to get ON the table to look out. She also has her own bowls and cups to play with on the bottom shelf of the baker's rack. And I am in that room alot. The living room is also fairly safe....but she can climb and jump on the couches and get behind the entertainment center where all the wires are, etc. So she still has to be watched. But both rooms have gates to keep her in.

I'm a bit paranoid about her falling onto the hard floor because my son, at an older age, fell off the kitchen bar stool and broke his elbow. She has already had a broken elbow from me tripping while holding her, so I'd rather avoid that again.

I think we will look at getting a climbing play structure with a mat for christmas for her.

If you don't mind used, check Craigs lists or other local classifieds for a climbing play structure. They are generally durable and easy to clean so used might save you a ton of money. Also, now would be the time that people are thinking of getting rid of stuff before winter hits and they have to store it.

My 4th was a climber. From the time she was 9 months old, she was up the bookcase, on the kitchen table and counter, on the piano, etc. We had a stressful 15 months or so where we were all attuned to her "I'm about to fall" panicked whimper. She wasn't strong enough to move our kitchen chairs (they are heavy), so we pushed them all the way under the table. That way she couldn't climb up.

:grouphug: It's stressful to have a little one set on getting into dangerous situations.

Mine climbed constantly. I ended up just letting him because he was pretty stable. His favorites were the back of the couch to look out a high window and the dining room table, which he vaulted off (lay on tummy with legs hanging off, swing legs, and push off to land) with a perfect landing every time. He climbed the couch by 13 months of age; the table came a month or two later.

He terrified other parents at the park. I would have to save him from being saved by the parents. I always told them to just watch, and they were always amazed by how well he climbed. The only time he really scared me was when he tried to climb down a climbing wall that led to the walkway of the play structure about 8 feet up. I couldn't reach him to spot him. Fortunately, he changed his mind.

These days, he still likes to climb, and I can usually keep him from climbing inappropriately (like the outside of a tunnel slide).

:grouphug: It is disconcerting.

:iagree:

My 2yo is a climber- In the end I just gave up and made sure to teach him how to climb safely. Make sure all your dressers and bookcases are bolted to the wall :001_huh:

I take my DS to the park and he climbs all over. His latest trick is jumping out onto the sliding poles and slide down from high places pretending he is a fireman :001_huh: He has to jump because his arms and legs are not long enough to lean over and grab the pole - I nearly had a heart failure the first time I saw him take a running jump and grap the pole and slide down -but he has never missed once so I let him continue (I stand at the bottom of the pole in case he misses). It's actually fun to watch the terrified looks on other parents faces as they watch my 25 month old take a flying leap towards the pole :D

I say continue on - just make sure she won't fall off anything.

Edited by sewingmama

I'm a bit paranoid about her falling onto the hard floor because my son, at an older age, fell off the kitchen bar stool and broke his elbow. She has already had a broken elbow from me tripping while holding her, so I'd rather avoid that again.

You're not being paranoid. We have a hard tile kitchen floor and my climbing toddler spent a morning in the ER with a concussion last month when he fell off a kitchen chair. At least he has since decided that he doesn't really need to stand on the kitchen table after all. :001_huh:

They also sell straps for kitchen chairs. Although it is probably easier to just put them in the garage if you don't use them anyway.

Well, quite a few years ago I was having trouble with dd, now 8 (adhd, pdd, asd). after discussing her on this forum I bought a plastic sandbox and filled it with rice (do not use beans). It was a great big hit. I had rice all over but it helped. :001_smile:

Somewhere online there is a site for things to put together for toddlers. Maybe someone on here knows what it is.

A few ideas: You could fill soda bottles with sand, rice, water with oil, sparkles, etc. and put little toys in there for her to find. (hot glue the lids shut ;))

You could have plastic containers and items for her to put in and out.

Make or buy lacing cards.

Get a magnet board with all kinds of animal, letter magnets that she can do.

Get a few large boxes she can crawl in and out of ... she may try to climb them. ;)

Rotate everything so she doesn't get bored.

A climbing structure in the living room might be the way to go. That's what we did with my son at this age, but we had carpet. Here we have all hard floors and dh is worried about her falling and hitting her head. Money is tight, so the mat is more an issue of money than anything.

God love her.

OUtside is too hot to do much, it is still in the 90's here. And humid. And fire ants. Etc.

You can get interlocking mats at Sam's for about $20. I think the pack has 8 - 2 foot squares. The play structure inside with those mats is the way I would go.

I vote for the inside climber. Maybe put a rug underneath it? Rocking horses, balls, a tunnel, a jumpolene, a ride on toy. We turned our living room into an indoor playground when they were that age. It helped. Bubbles were also a life saver.

A lot of baths? I.e. do school in the bathroom so she can play in the tub for half an hour a day or so? Or is she too young to be in the tub bc she will stand and climb and slip there?

If going outside isn't going to work, what about going to a church with an inside gym or large room? Throw out some balls and let her run around? Or take her to the pool to wear her out?

In the short run, however, honestly I think putting the kitchen chairs in the garage for the day isn't a bad idea. Maybe your older would find doing school work while standing to aid concentration as well? Or could use a big balance ball.

You're not being paranoid. We have a hard tile kitchen floor and my climbing toddler spent a morning in the ER with a concussion last month when he fell off a kitchen chair. At least he has since decided that he doesn't really need to stand on the kitchen table after all. :001_huh:

They also sell straps for kitchen chairs. Although it is probably easier to just put them in the garage if you don't use them anyway.

At least he learned his lesson. When my son fell and broke his arm I was relieved he had learned his lesson. Only to find him standing on the SAME STOOL the very next night!!!!! I about lost my mind.

I vote for the inside climber. Maybe put a rug underneath it? Rocking horses, balls, a tunnel, a jumpolene, a ride on toy. We turned our living room into an indoor playground when they were that age. It helped. Bubbles were also a life saver.

A lot of baths? I.e. do school in the bathroom so she can play in the tub for half an hour a day or so? Or is she too young to be in the tub bc she will stand and climb and slip there?

If going outside isn't going to work, what about going to a church with an inside gym or large room? Throw out some balls and let her run around? Or take her to the pool to wear her out?

In the short run, however, honestly I think putting the kitchen chairs in the garage for the day isn't a bad idea. Maybe your older would find doing school work while standing to aid concentration as well? Or could use a big balance ball.

ah yes, bubbles. Good idea. And yes, she tries to stand and dance in the tub as well...it isn't relaxing for me at all to bathe her. I'm hoping that gets better. I know I gave her brother 3 baths a day sometimes when I needed to entertain him.

Oh, and he does his school work at the dining room table, not the kitchen table, so he won't miss the chairs. Honestly, no one uses them.

Well, quite a few years ago I was having trouble with dd, now 8 (adhd, pdd, asd). after discussing her on this forum I bought a plastic sandbox and filled it with rice (do not use beans). It was a great big hit. I had rice all over but it helped. :001_smile:

she will eat the rice, not play with it

Somewhere online there is a site for things to put together for toddlers. Maybe someone on here knows what it is.

A few ideas: You could fill soda bottles with sand, rice, water with oil, sparkles, etc. and put little toys in there for her to find. (hot glue the lids shut ;))

she does play with these sometimes, my sister made them for her last year.

You could have plastic containers and items for her to put in and out.

she has them, not interested

Make or buy lacing cards.

I am not sure she is coordinated enough yet, but we could try. I like that idea.

Get a magnet board with all kinds of animal, letter magnets that she can do.

I caught her with the letter magnets in her mouth, about to choke on them.

Get a few large boxes she can crawl in and out of ... she may try to climb them. ;)

she is suprisingly uninterested in boxes. the cats are loving them though.

Rotate everything so she doesn't get bored.

This is probably a good idea. We don't have a ton of toys like some people...they all fit in a laundry basket for the most part. But I could rotate them.

My 3 yr old is a nightmare climber. I have tied the dining chairs to the table at various times so he can't drag them and climb into cupboards. He did improve for a while but has ramped up the climbing recently so I am thinking of getting him a more complicated higher climbing frame for the garden. We have one, its a big wooden thing but not much of a challenge really. Its a total nightmare when they seem to want to invent ways to kill themselves.

I soooo feel your pain. My oldest was not a climber. My 2nd was. My 3rd is just ridiculous and climbs everything. For a while we would lay the chairs down on their sides, and that worked, until he figured out how to flip them back up. He can flip them up and can slide them anywhere and everywhere to get things. Every time I turn my back he's heading for the sink (where sometimes there are dishes that can be broken, or knives sitting on the drainboard), the coffee pot, the bananas (take a bite out of each one?), the water/ice on the fridge (older fridge, no lockout). Grrrr. Standing on the dining room table and trying to pull the chandelier down. You name it.

Our current house is not set up well for blocking him off without impacting my older two children.

He's 18 months, but we've been dealing w/ this since 12 months or even earlier.

I introduced open cups to my older 2 kids by 12 months, and did the same w/ DS2. The older two got over the novelty of dumping water out pretty early. DS2 will still dump any water cups, he looooves to dump the dog bowls (kept out of reach in the sunroom most of the time, but as soon as the older kids leave the door open for a second, he's out there dumping!

I used a box of beans for DS1 at that age for sensory input. I think DS2 would just *destroy* the box of beans and have them everywhere.

I wear him a lot on my back in the Ergo when I get sick of it or *need* to get something done.

God love her.

I have nothing helpful to add, just commiseration. My baby is the same way, he's only 10 months but extremely active and he eats everything. Reading your post made me a little afraid of what's coming, because he's always been intense and I'm sure the climbing on everything is coming soon. I have planned on getting an indoor climbing structure myself, so if you get one, please post if it works! I've wondered if my ds would use it a lot or reject it because it's allowed, and therefore, boring. :glare:

My mil had one of these several decades ago - she gave in and installed climbing bars and a trapeze (!!!) in their living room for the kid! Later, that same kid became the first female paratrooper out of Ft. Bragg (is that the right place?) her folks did not know she was doing THAT until some soldiers showed up for her ride to the base....and friends mentioned "Er, that is where they train to jump out of airplanes!"

Maybe you have a little paratrooper on your hands ;-)

I just remembered that Ikea has a little ladder you can attach to the wall for climbing. I'm keeping it in mind for when ds gets a little older. It would have to not be near anything he could reach, and we'd need a mat under it in case he fell. Just a thought for your dd.

Hmmm, well this is all I could find when I was looking.

Rope Ladder at Ikea

That seems like it would wobble a lot and a little one would fall right off, I thought I had remembered metal rungs that you could bolt to the wall. Ikea's recommendation is 4 yrs +.

I refer to this stage as the goat stage. ;)

Can you just let her climb? Give her a 'safe' place to do it? Maybe just live with a blanket on the floor around that table for a time?

"No, you can't climb here, on the kitchen table, but you can climb here, on the coffee table and the dinging room table."

So glad I'm not alone in feeling this way!!! The climbing drives me crazy too!!!

Right now ds is 18 mos... his favorite thing to do is to stand on our swirling stools by the kitchen counter and rock. Like he's trying to make it fall forward. Of course, we've had several near misses where he almost did go crashing forward. Early on we nicknamed him "stunt baby" for the crazy things he would attempt.

Then when we're at our school table (lg dining room table) he does the same thing or he wants to throw every paper and book on the floor. Or dump all the pencils on the floor. But I like the idea of putting the chairs on their sides. That would give him something lower to climb on and keep him off the school table.

One day at a time, I guess.

My oldest was a climber, and I'm so glad he was first! :D

Get some rock-climbing holds and put them on the walls...or door jambs...or somewhere:) and tape stuff she wants high enough where she has to climb to get to it. Hang a swing from the ceiling. Put outdoor toys inside. Get a mini-trampoline for inside. A friend of mine actually installed a small zip-line type thing inside.

Hoping Sanity finds you quickly:D.

:grouphug:

My son was a climber.

Thankfully I wasn't trying to homeschool at the same time! :lol:

No advice, just a great big hug.

Yeah, me too. This is why our school is called Couchtop College. I took mine outside and let her climb the washing line.

Maybe if you start now, you can indoctrinate her to think she wants to work for search and rescue when she grows up? :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Rosie

If you lay the chairs down on their sides, can she put them back up? That's what we used to the do when the twins were small. For a while they thought chairs were supposed to be lying on their sides! :lol:

No..there is not room to do that in our little kitchen. But thanks for the idea!