Menu

My eye Dr ordered 7 thousand lightbulbs

It has already happened in the UK. The energy saving ones are awful. The light is white rather than yellow and it doesn't come on full straight away, it takes a while. I wish I had followed my parents lead and stocked up too.:001_huh:

Why would you want yellow light instead of white light?

I always buy bulbs that are more white and hate yellow ones.Yellow ones make everything looks dirty and dingy and depressing.

I received this email from my brother this morning. I think he said that he heard it on NPR. Anyhow:

The incandescent light bulb will be phased out as follows

1/1/12 – 100w no longer available

1/1/13 – 75w no longer available

1/1/14 – all remaining incandescent bulbs no longer available ie. 25w, 45w & 60w

I plan to buy as many as I can but I don't think I can buy as many as I will ever need.

I always buy bulbs that are more white and hate yellow ones.Yellow ones make everything looks dirty and dingy and depressing.

Now see, I love the yellow, it's much softer and easy on the eyes. At least for us. The *bulb* isn't yellow, not like a yellow bug light, but it's a 'soft white' which tends toward a yellowish tint.

Edited by justamouse

My word, I wouldn't know where to store 7000 light bulbs! And when he goes to use them 30 years from now, I'd be afraid they wouldn't work anymore or something. That would be a huge waste of money.

That is a TON of light bulbs.

He started out ordering 5 thousand. I bet he's planning on having them for his family.

This is a change I'm not happy about. Because of dh's concern about energy use, we have had MANY CFL bulbs. Ours have definitely not lived up to their claims about extended bulb life. :glare: While Lowe's and Home Depot are both good about exchanging light bulbs that die early, it is a huge hassle. And then there is the color and feel of the light they produce. :glare:

I can't imagine ordering 7,000 light bulbs though. Storing and moving them would be a nuisance.

My word, I wouldn't know where to store 7000 light bulbs! And when he goes to use them 30 years from now, I'd be afraid they wouldn't work anymore or something. That would be a huge waste of money.

That is a TON of light bulbs.

Yeah, but you sell them to people after they aren't available anymore. Dude is going to make a killing on the black market. :lol:

Now see, I love the yellow, it's much softer and easy on the eyes. At least for us. The *bulb* isn't yellow, not like a yellow bug light, but it's a 'soft white' which tends toward a yellowish tint.

I love bright white light! When I had my first place, I went out and bought 100w bright white bulbs for my whole apartment. I thought it was beautiful! :tongue_smilie:

I was in the office with Dd when he did it. Then he told his nurse to make sure she got hers.

What is going on?

Ohhhhh, he's an eye doctor! Does he know something about those horrid CFL lights that we don't?

We have some and let me count the things I dislike:

1. The light they give off

2. They do NOT last as long as they claim

3. They don't fit right

4. You practically have to call in the EPA if one breaks

Grrr!

We already have exclusively CFL lights here. The only problem for us will be that we have two ceiling fans that flicker when they have two CFLs installed. We need to have one CFL and one regular bulb. I guess this will be the nudge we need to switch those out. I'm not concerned.

This is my biggest question, will ceiling fan bulbs be considered decorative? Because you cannot use cfls in a ceiling fan over your bed, it will flicker all night. If so, couldn't you use those in regular lamps?

I wonder about the UV rays from the new light bulbs. I decided to start small with them, and use them in out of the way places or places where their long life would be especially valuable. Well, the long life has not worked out as advertised. I have heard that they do poorly with a lot of electric current variation, and that might be what is wrong with them in my house (we live in an older neighborhood that still has power surges and brown outs from time to time.) The ones I used in my closet resulted in fading of the shoulders of clothing inside--something that never happened with the normal bulbs. I am concerned that the UV rays from these, if they have not been improved since my trial, will contribute to macular degeneration and cataracts later on. I plan to stock up as well.

Ohhhhh, he's an eye doctor! Does he know something about those horrid CFL lights that we don't?

3. They don't fit right

Grrr!

That's exactly what I wondered! I have to see him again next week, I'll have to get brave and ask him (admitting I was eavesdropping on his convo!)

This is my biggest question, will ceiling fan bulbs be considered decorative? Because you cannot use cfls in a ceiling fan over your bed, it will flicker all night. If so, couldn't you use those in regular lamps?

We have the curly bulbs in our bedroom ceiling fan (3 of them)…they've been there since we moved into this rental (landlord pays electric, so all the lights are those) a year and a half ago and they never "flicker"… It's either on or it's off.

I like the curly ones.. it's rare that they burn out - which is good for someone like me who never remembers to buy light bulbs and has lived in many dark apartments. :p

I love bright white light! When I had my first place, I went out and bought 100w bright white bulbs for my whole apartment. I thought it was beautiful! :tongue_smilie:

I love bright light too! I dread the change....but I am not stocking up. I am hoping this will turn out to be like when I was a kid and they said the metric system was coming. It never did.

We have the curly bulbs in our bedroom ceiling fan (3 of them)…they've been there since we moved into this rental (landlord pays electric, so all the lights are those) a year and a half ago and they never "flicker"… It's either on or it's off.

I like the curly ones.. it's rare that they burn out - which is good for someone like me who never remembers to buy light bulbs and has lived in many dark apartments. :p

We had the curly ones in our ceiling fans in Hawaii, and they flickered when the light was off, but the fan was on. It was only noticeable at night when it was dark.

Just personal preference, I suppose? I think the white ones make everything look grey and the yellow ones give a nice glow. :001_smile:

But the white incandescent light is much different--it's still a bit "warmer." The white CFL gives everything a sort of greenish tinge. Even the "soft-white" CFL gives everything a sort of "off" tinge.

We have a lot of incandescent lights in our house that are still going strong after 5 years. We have a lot of CFLs that haven't lasted nearly as long.

As to the eye thing, some people can actually see the flickering in the CFL and it gives them headaches.

Why do your ceiling fan lights flicker? None of ours do and the all have CFLs. We have 5 different fans currently and have used them in probably 10 different ceiling fans without any issues. I am very visually sensitive, so I would definitely notice.

But the white incandescent light is much different--it's still a bit "warmer." The white CFL gives everything a sort of greenish tinge. Even the "soft-white" CFL gives everything a sort of "off" tinge.

We have a lot of incandescent lights in our house that are still going strong after 5 years. We have a lot of CFLs that haven't lasted nearly as long.

As to the eye thing, some people can actually see the flickering in the CFL and it gives them headaches.

:iagree:

Another problem I have not seen a solution for with the new bulbs - they don't work on a dimmer switch. They put them in all the ceiling fans at our church and some of them flickered terribly the first week or 2. Someone finally figured out that the only way for them not to flicker was to turn them all the way on. No dimming at all. On or off only. Not that I wanted dim light at church, but at home it would be nice sometimes.

Why do your ceiling fan lights flicker? None of ours do and the all have CFLs. We have 5 different fans currently and have used them in probably 10 different ceiling fans without any issues. I am very visually sensitive, so I would definitely notice.

These were pricey ceiling fans in the house we rented in Hawaii. They flickered at night when the lights were off and the fans were on. They were on dimmer switches and had remotes, I think that may have had something to do with it.

Another problem I have not seen a solution for with the new bulbs - they don't work on a dimmer switch. They put them in all the ceiling fans at our church and some of them flickered terribly the first week or 2. Someone finally figured out that the only way for them not to flicker was to turn them all the way on. No dimming at all. On or off only. Not that I wanted dim light at church, but at home it would be nice sometimes.

And if it is a ceiling fan on a dimmer switch they flicker even when all the way off.

Those energy saving light bulbs do not dim along with our dimmer switches! We have recessed lighting in the living room and all of the quadrants are on dimmer switches. The one light bulb we have in them that is energy saver won't dim at all. I HATE IT!

And I LOVE yellow light. It is so soft and pleasant. I would cry if I had to always just use white light. The energy saver bulb I mentioned above is a soft yellow light.

We had the curly ones in our ceiling fans in Hawaii, and they flickered when the light was off, but the fan was on. It was only noticeable at night when it was dark.

Now that I see you mention the dimmer thing in a later post - maybe that was why :001_smile: … ours doesn't have that… and we definitely had the fan running at night without the lights - pretty near all summer as it was grossly hot and we don't have a/c.

It has already happened in the UK. The energy saving ones are awful. The light is white rather than yellow and it doesn't come on full straight away, it takes a while. I wish I had followed my parents lead and stocked up too.:001_huh:

Some of them do come straight on at their brightest, it varies from brand to brand.

I'll go switch some bulbs on and see but the branded ones are definitely better, I hate that dull bit at the beginning too so try to avoid it. Its Phillips Bulbs we use I think. They will say fast start on them if they are, not all the phillips bulbs are fast start though.

Just googled and there are these fast start bulbs

http://ebulbshop.com/acatalog/Save_The_Penguins_Bayonet_Cap___BC__.html

Edited by lailasmum

I'll go switch some bulbs on and see but the branded ones are definitely better, I hate that dull bit at the beginning too so try to avoid it. Its Phillips Bulbs we use I think. They will say fast start on them if they are, not all the phillips bulbs are fast start though.

Just googled and there are these fast start bulbs

http://ebulbshop.com/acatalog/Save_The_Penguins_Bayonet_Cap___BC__.html

Thanks!:D

I hate that dull start.

Stinks because I use them for my bearded dragons as heat lamps. The 75 watt bulbs provide plenty of heat for my 5 cages. The other bulbs don't put out enough heat. Guess I will be stocking up.

I must say that I HATE - sorry, not too strong a word for this situation - the new bulbs.

If anyone can recommend a brand that gives off the same quality of light as a incandescent bulb, please point it out to me.

I had no idea that 100 watt bulbs were being phased out so soon. I don't use them in many lamps, but I have one over my kitchen island, and a lower wattage just doesn't cut it. Pigs will fly before I put a CFL in that spot.

I keep hoping the legislation will get repealed when unintended consequences begin to occur.

It sounds as if the CFLs only use 28% less electricity (e.g., 72 vs 100 watts) for the same amount of light. I thought it was a much bigger difference. Even setting aside the medical and other concerns with CFLs, this doesn't seem impressive enough to justify banning incandescents.

ETA: oops, I misread the article. The "28% less" is for halogen bulbs, not CFLs. But since California is allowing halogens but not incandescents, I still find this to be strange.

I'm inclined to think that subsidizing technologies that help people to use their lights only when they're really needed (timers, sensors, etc.), and encouraging people to use them, would go a LOT farther to save energy.

signed,

someone whose family members are constantly leaving lights on all over the house :glare:

Edited by Eleanor

3. They don't fit right

Grrr!

:iagree:They do not fit and they do NOT live as long as they claim.