Menu

Would you let your child...

If your local homeschool group was having a biography fair would you allow your young child to chose to do his project on a religious figure or would you try to encourage him to pick someone different? The group is secular in nature but has members of varying faiths.

Ds has his heart set on this and for some reason I'm wavering. I just don't want him to inadvertently offend anyone, I suppose. Maybe there will be people there who would be upset to have their children subjected to a presentation on a non-Christian religious figure? That's their problem, not mine, right? Or not?

Thoughts?

FWIW, I'm a confessional Lutheran, and I'd let him do it. If people are upset, it's their problem - it's a secular group, there's no SoF or anything you'd be going against. The only reason I wouldn't was if I was genuinely worried that people would be offended and attack my dc over it (as opposed to me) - and if that was the case, I'd leave the coop rather than walk on tiptoes.

Jesus or Buddha or Moses or Mohammed or St. Francis or Martin Luther (and so on...) are all extremely important historical figures. I think that it would be appropriate as long as the religious figure was presented in a historical biographical sort of way, not in a religious sort of way.

Discussion of the annunciation and virgin birth is probably not the right approach, but "Jesus was born around the year 5 BCE in the town of Bethlehem." is totally appropriate.

Biography is a biography.

Really. Are people supposed to pretend that people they disagree with do not exist?

The only restriction I think should be age-appropriateness. It would be inappropriate to do a presentation of Pol Pot or Hitler if the group includes very young children. So similarly I would not include graphic details of a martyrdom or anything like that if the group includes younger children.

Also, any religious figure at such an event should be of course presented with academic integrity. That is, no claims of "truth" on matters of faith that cannot be proven. For example, I would not put "Jesus was resurrected from the dead" in a presentation, even if that is what your family believes. For an academic presentation something like "It is reported in the Bible that Jesus was resurrected, blah blah blah. Belief in this event is of central importance to Christianity." is more appropriate.

Edited by zenjenn

As a purely secular person, I would be absolutely fine with a child doing a biography of a verifiable religious figure. Mother Theresa, Martin Luther, Popes, etc. would all be great people to do biographies on, but to do a "biography" there must be verifiable proof that they existed so I can see it being a sticking point with the teacher if he did a bio on someone whose existence and deeds cannot be corroborated.

I would let my kid do it, *but* there is a group or two around here that try to be what I feel is overly secular (i.e. freaking out when an email comes through the loop that shares an *open* event that is Christian in nature). I wouldn't want my child to have to face the wrath of some parent at the event of a group like that, YKWIM? I personally would be fine with biographies of religious figures of any sort.

Jesus or Buddha or Moses or Mohammed or St. Francis or Martin Luther (and so on...) are all extremely important historical figures. I think that it would be appropriate as long as the religious figure was presented in a historical biographical sort of way, not in a religious sort of way.

Discussion of the annunciation and virgin birth is probably not the right approach, but "Jesus was born around the year 5 BCE in the town of Bethlehem." is totally appropriate.

:iagree: I'm helping start up a biography book group in a secular homeschool setting, where the kids will take turns picking a historical figure and everyone will read a biography. The line I would draw is whether the biography is historical vs. devotional - and that the child/family have to be prepared for others to discuss the figure in a secular way.

Who does your son want to present about?

in a secular homeschool setting, where the kids will take turns picking a historical figure and everyone will read a biography. The line I would draw is whether the biography is historical vs. devotional - and that the child/family have to be prepared for others to discuss the figure in a secular way.

Who does your son want to present about?

He's actually torn between two very related figures: the current Dalai Lama and Siddhartha Gautama. We're not actually Buddhist (despite my signature here) but for some unknown reason ds is fascinated by stories of monks, learning about places like Tibet, Nepal, and Bhutan, watching documentaries about the Buddha and so forth. I suspect that he might be one of the only 6 year olds in the US who can easily label all of those countries and their neighbors on a blank world map, LOL.

He's actually torn between two very related figures: the current Dalai Lama and Siddhartha Gautama. We're not actually Buddhist (despite my signature here) but for some unknown reason ds is fascinated by stories of monks, learning about places like Tibet, Nepal, and Bhutan, watching documentaries about the Buddha and so forth. I suspect that he might be one of the only 6 year olds in the US who can easily label all of those countries and their neighbors on a blank world map, LOL.

I just want to say this is so very cool...I would be such a proud mama if I were you.

I would say that while they're religious figures, both have an influence that goes beyond the boundaries of religion and into socio-political spheres, and thus would be valuable biographies for Buddhists and non-Buddhists to know about. Just like I'd say the same thing about Mahatma Ghandi or Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ... they were religious figures, but their impact and influence went beyond that.

I am a christian and I am fascinated by the Dalai Lama. Did you know you can follow him on facebook? We watched Michael Palin's Himalaya last year. He got an audience with the Dalai Lama, it was very interesting.

I would have no issue with a biography.

I just want to say this is so very cool...I would be such a proud mama if I were you.

:iagree: (for the record, we are secular homeschoolers too and belong to many secular groups. I wouldn't have a problem with this at all nor would anyone we get together with. Nor would have I have a problem with other religious figures.)

I've paid to hear the Dalai Lama speak. He is a fascinating, and wise figure. I've read some of his books too (and books about him).

Edited by kck

That would be totally fine, I'm sure.

I can think of situations where a child from a religious household might use such a platform to cross a line and make religious statements rather than historical/biographical ones that might cause tension, but this clearly isn't the case here.

I am a christian and I am fascinated by the Dalai Lama. Did you know you can follow him on facebook? We watched Michael Palin's Himalaya last year. He got an audience with the Dalai Lama, it was very interesting.

I would have no issue with a biography.

I do follow him on Facebook thanks to my ds! I don't think I've actually seen Himalaya yet, I'll have to check and see if it's available on Netflix. I'm sure ds will love it. Thanks for the suggestion- the trailer for it looks fascinating.

FWIW, my ds has seen the Dalai Lama. We actually have a good sized Tibetan Buddhist community in our town because the Dalai Lama has extended family here- it's common to see the monks in their gold and red robes around town. Several years ago, on one of his numerous visits here, we stood outside in the rain to watch the procession as the Dalai Lama arrived. Ds was disappointed that the Dalai Lama didn't get out of his car to greet people but surmised that it must've been because he forgot his umbrella at home. ;) In retrospect, I suppose that's what started this interest of his.

If your local homeschool group was having a biography fair would you allow your young child to chose to do his project on a religious figure or would you try to encourage him to pick someone different? The group is secular in nature but has members of varying faiths.

Ds has his heart set on this and for some reason I'm wavering. I just don't want him to inadvertently offend anyone, I suppose. Maybe there will be people there who would be upset to have their children subjected to a presentation on a non-Christian religious figure? That's their problem, not mine, right? Or not?

Thoughts?

I'd be happy he choose a person of faith and support him totally.

Well, my family is Jewish and secular at that, and if my homeschool group (which is not religious by nature) did something like this and someone's child did their biography on a Christian/religious figure, I would not be bothered by that in the slightest!

I'd let him do it on whoever he wants to do it on.

One of mine did a Ghandi poster, so yes.

Doesn't matter who.. Maimondes or Jesus or ....Tammy Faye Baker or Jim Jones ;) , I'd not say no. I don't like to micromanage.

Seriously, there is much to be learned. Education cannot exist without an understanding of religious history.

I would discuss with them the difference between a report and an endorsement, however. "Come Drink the Koolaid in Tropical Guyana Paradise!"

Edited by LibraryLover

Thoughts?

I'd let them do it on almost anyone they chose. if someone is easily offended, what does that say about them?