Menu

1st-3rd grade moms . . .

If your child (1st-3rd grade) listened to a story, was given a paper, and told to write a sentence themselves about what they had just learned, would they be able to do that?

Please tell me their age/grade in your answer, thanks!

My son who just turned 8 and is starting 3rd grade can and does often surprise me by doing just that, but he has had almost 2 years of WWE so summarizing a story and writing it down is part of his life. But my just now starting to homeschool 7th grader, who is 12 and made all A's and B's in traditional school, can't do it half the time. So take it for what its worth.

I have a 1st grader (age 6) and a 3rd grader (age almost 9). Both are able to do that. The 1st grader's sentence would probably be very simple. The 3rd grader's would be more complex, but would probably have spelling errors. They would both write something topical and use proper punctuation and capitalization.

My 7yods, yes, no problem and chances are most of the words would be spelled correctly )He's doing somewhere between second and third grade work)

My 6yods, no, he's about halfway through Phonics Pathways but I'm sure he would just freeze up - about the only thing he's writing now is a bit of copywork, his name and the numbers he needs during his math lesson.

Yes, she could, at almost 7 (2nd grade, but advanced in LA), and it would be spelled correctly. However, it probably wouldn't be the most important details or the main idea. Filtering down to the essentials is still a skill she's working on.

Edited by dmmetler

My ds is 8, he'll be 9 in a few days in 3rd grade and i'm ashamed to say that he could not do it. He would be able to tell me a few things about it or answer a few questions. Now, if I asked him something about the Army, he'd be able to tell me more than I wanted to know about that.

Edited by mama25angels

My boys are 6.5 and just starting 2nd (they'd be the youngest kids in their class if they'd gone to ps).

Narrate? Absolutely, but they'd have trouble doing just one sentence. Write it? Sort of. It would really depend. If it was their own project, then sure. I've actually seen them do that exact sort of thing, though with pretty simple sentences. But in general, not without some structure from me. If I helped set it up by giving them a more specific prompt then probably. Like if I told them to write a sentence about their favorite character or if they liked it or what was the saddest part or something along those lines, then they could probably do fine. We've done things like that and they can usually do it. But just "write a sentence about that book" is so open ended. I think they would rightfully feel lost.

My dd (2nd grade) could definitely write one sentence. Would the spelling, punctuation, etc. all be correct? No, but she could get a complete thought on paper that made sense.

Yes. Though mine is a 6yo 1st grader. The sentence might not capture the main idea. I have noticed she tends to get wrapped up in the details!

Almost 7 yo end-of First Grade daughter could do this. A short, easy sentence, but properly spelled and punctuated (except for hyphenating at the end of a line where she shouldn't :glare:) She has tired hand issues.

5 yo end of K will try to write a lot more, but uses no lower case letters, terrible spelling, and no punctuation. Happily, he hasn't started WWE yet. He loves to write and taught himself how. I can't wait to see what he will do as we add instruction ...

DD in 2nd or 3rd could've. In 1st, she would've needed to dictate the sentence to me first and then copy what I'd written. She's young for her grade (fall birthday).

DS, who is also a fall birthday kid, could probably dictate a sentence to me. But he's not writing well enough to do full-sentence copywork just yet.

My 7 yo 2nd grader could, but he's been writing (physically) well for a long time, he enjoys making up and writing down his own stories, and we've been doing WWE, which develops that exact skill. I'm sure there are plenty of 7 yo 2nd graders who would struggle with that, though. Some could probably come up with a sentence, and most could copy one, but my guess is that many kids that age who haven't had practice with narration and/or writing would struggle with doing both at the same time.

My 5 yo could do an oral narration and then copy it easily, but I don't think he could write it himself at this point without a lot of help (mostly with spelling).

Edited by Kirch

DD6, grade 1, could narrate (not always on main topic, but some basic ideas), and could write it in incomprehensible but neat writing. Meaning she can't spell very well. She can copy what she narrates and I then write for her.

DS8, grade 3, sure, but he'd whine the whole time and try really hard to come up with the most succinct answer possible.

Yes. Though mine is a 6yo 1st grader. The sentence might not capture the main idea. I have noticed she tends to get wrapped up in the details!

This is so true for DS 6. I can always count on him to find to have interesting narrations, even if they're not quite what I was looking for. :D

To answer the OP, DD 8 (3rd) could do it with mostly correct grammar and spelling (depending on what vocabulary she used). DS 6 (1st) would not be able to do that without me sitting there and guiding him through each step.

Our eldest will start 1st grade shortly.

She can't write yet, I'd say she probably could do it by halfway through 1st grade, but it would be simple & short.

Right now she just sums it up for me in her own words and I type it up (she talks pretty fast, and my poor handwriting can't keep up with it) She's good at either doing a short or long summary this way.

Yes, my daughter could, but that's been her strength since at least age 5. She'll be able to do that easily and automatically without being told because she cannot wait to write down the story. Most of the grammar and spelling would be correct. Sometimes she doesn't want to "plagiarize" so she'll change the name or setting or time and mix it up with other stories so it becomes more her own.

It's an addiction for her. She complains that she can't write in the bathtub!

My daughter is 7, 2nd grade.

She'd probably freak out if I had her do it herself. After she got done freaking out, she could probably manage a sentence or two with serious help on the spelling (not her strong subject). She's pretty good at summarizing out loud, but writing it down is overwhelming for her at this point.

My ds is 8, he'll be 9 in a few days in 3rd grade and i'm ashamed to say that he could not do it. He would be able to tell me a few things about it or answer a few questions. Now, if I asked him something about the Army, he'd be able to tell me more than I wanted to know about that.

:iagree:Whew! Glad to see there's at least one more. My ds will be 9 in November. He could certainly talk about it. (Plenty of narration practice.) I'm not sure if he could summarize, though. Writing would be especially difficult, though he has done a bit of it in the past with his own stories. I have never asked him to do such a thing, but we are heading that way this year. And he couldn't talk too much about the army, but baseball or anything from the Little House books and he could probably write his own book.:001_smile:

Absolutely.I have my 6.5 y/o journal about our day but the rule is he can write anything as long as it's at least two complete sentences... a few days ago I got "I hate sentincis. Theyr to long." :lol: We do Aesop's and he reads then completes the writing exercises- it's helped tons with getting to the comfort point!