Menu

What is your 5-6 year olds favorite toy?

My daughter loves Calico Critters, Littlest Pet Shop, Zoobles, American Girl (she got her first one a couple months after turning 5), and now she likes those Squinkies too.

DS liked Imaginext toys at that age. It's pretty much all he played with.

Dd4 and Dd7 enjoy the following....

Trio blocks....they build huge houses out of these.

Crafts. One time I got them a big box of various things to craft with. Things like buttons, wooden pegs, string, ribbon, glue dots, foam stickers, felt, wooden pieces to paint, magnetic strips, beads, elastic, cardstock, etc. I basically raided Michaels and got a bunch of stuff. They use that stuff a lot.

Right now they are into the new My Little Pony series and toys called Canterlot. They have them at Target.

My daughter at both age 5 and 6 is into American Girl dolls/accessories and Barbie dolls. She's really into puzzles. She likes any chapter book with a mouse or wolf on the front cover.

Her primary love is stuff like journals and pens, although that probably isn't the most popular 5-6 year old toy. :)

Whoever posted the Lakeshore Learning Tape Center of colored tapes, that's something I've always wanted but cannot bring myself to splurge upon. :)

My 5-year old girl is very much into Littlest Pet Shops. She has a *lot* of them, but she knows where/who each and every piece came from and where it belongs. I buy her more whenever I get a chance, because I play with them too. :D

She also loves to draw. I like to keep a supply of good markers for her art projects (I buy her the big Crayola sets and the Pip Squeaks - she "borrows" my PaperMate Flairs and Sharpies).

LEGO and K'nex are popular with both of my kids (DD5 & DS7). They play with LEGOs at least 5 days a week.

My daughter loves legos and little hard plastic figurines (animals, historical figures, etc.) She has a pretty active imagination and enjoys creating scenes and plays with legos, figurines, blocks, and tinker toys.

She also likes anything on wheels: roller skates, skateboard, scooter, bike. These get really heavy use.

My nephew is the same age, and he his favorite toys are legos, lincoln logs, and balls of all kind: football, nerf ball, whiffle balls, bouncy balls, tennis balls, soft tee-balls, soccer balls, foursquare balls.

Both kids have a fascination with ping pong paddles and balls. Neither can play very well, but they love to try! We don't have a table, they just do it on the kitchen table LOL.

Boy:

Legos

Puzzles

Cardboard box and toy saw...he builds dog houses

the Wii - WordJong (great for practicing spelling, you must spell words to get rid of the tiles); Mario Kart, Lego Games

Craft stuff - construction paper, colored pencils, glue/glue sticks, and scissors!

Son (is now 6, but when he was 5)- Legos. Hot Wheels. Typical boy stuff.

Daughter- the Wii. She would play the stupid thing all day if we let her. Good thing she has a chart! :001_smile: The Leap Frog TAG Reading pen. Her school books. Books, books and more books. Her stuffed Hello Kitties. Fingernail polish and lip gloss. She canNOT be bothered with dolls.

My son, when he was 5-6, wanted and played with trains. Wooden, Lego/Duplo, or GeoTrax. Other than that, he started collecting the huge assortment of teddy bears that live on and under his bed, but he doesn't really play with them.

My older daughter, who is still six, asks for Barbies/LivWorld, but doesn't play with them for more than a week or so afterwards. What she plays with are costumes. Especially ballerina, princess, or animal costumes, in that order.

My DD just turned 6. Her favorites are basically cars, animals, blocks and paints.

Wood blocks - We have 2-3 of these sets and a several more small packs of the natural wood looking blocks that are the same size. DD builds cities, garages and roads for her cars or farms for her animals.

Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars

Playmobil - Vet Operating Room and Zoo Vehicle sets. We also have their Nativity set and she just asked me the other day how many more days it was until we get the Christmas things out because she wants to play with that one.

Toob animal sets - We bought the penguin set when we were reading Mr. Popper's Penguins. Since then, we've added several other sets to go along with other things we're studying. They turn school into play and vice versa for her.

Safari animals that are about twice the size of the Toob animals

Stuffed animals - almost exclusively dogs (collars, food bowls and dog toys to go with them)

Journals, which just means any notebook with a pretty cover. She usually draws or paints in them. Sometimes she'll copy something like the table of contents from our animal encyclopedia.

Watercolor paints and a ream of copy paper. She walked around the store hugging the ream of paper before we got it and could barely contain her excitement when got home. I was starting to worry that she misunderstood what was inside that package. No, she understood perfectly and was just very excited to have her very own paper.

Girl

8 rolls of colorful masking tape on a dispenser ala Lakeshore Learning

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302106155~~.jsp

My kids love this too!

When my DD was 5-6yrs she never played with toys that much except for Little Pet shop. Her main thing was art. She would draw and paint and craft for hours each day-still does at almost 10yrs.

Gifts for her have always included at least one of these since age 5-6:

some type of nice large drawing pad, fun blank page journals, stamp sets, stickers, colored pencils, bead sets, and/or some type of caddy or organizer bins for supplies.

She loved the "Bedazzler" she got when she was 8yrs old! LOL

She also liked books on CD and has a few she still listens to such as Cam Jansen mysteries, Farmer Boy, and Boxcar children stories.

5 yo boy.

Best $1 I spent at the Goodwill: I bought a cage spinner that came from a bingo set (you put the balls in the cage spinner and turn the spinner and it spits out a random ball.....only my son uses it as a cage in imaginative play, it churns out all sorts of things...it turns Diego into an alien, etc.). This would be gender neutral....I saw it also a Target's Games section.

Also likes masks (I bought a set of animal masks and he (and my 5yo neice) LOVE pretending with these. My neice (age 5) also likes her microphone and boxes to make houses/tunnels with.

Also, my son and my neice like the attack gerbils....what are they called? ZuZu pets? You push the little button on the top and they make cute little gerbil sounds and roll around and change directions when the bump into things. My neices LOVES the ones I got her.

And last, but NOT least...(this should be listed first on my list here) are his MEMORY MATCH CLAMS from Learning Resources

http://www.learningresources.com/product/parents/shop+by+category/early+skill+development/active+play/smart+splash--174-+memory+match+clams.do?search=basic&keyword=clams&sortby=bestSellers&page=1&

(he and all my neices....my neices are ages 7,5,and 3) all like these a lot.

Edited by mhg

My girls are going on 5.

DD1's favorite thing right now is her bike. She recently learned how to ride it independently and she is pumped!

DD2 is absolutely crazy about her dollhouse. It's about 2.5' tall and has lots of little dolls (collected over the years) - from Disney princesses to Playmobil knights to ethnic dolls in costume. She acts out fairy tales and movies and creates all kinds of romances, LOL.

Bitty Baby twins with the double stroller is #1 today. Other days it is her art easel (Melissa and Doug brand) or her wooden doll house or the Littlest Pet Shop house with all of the little pets. Definitely a good age for imaginative play! Her birthday is in a few weeks and I have no idea what to get her. She doesn't need anything, but it would be fun to find something small that would delight her. :001_smile: