Menu

Little Ceasars Shocker

I ordered 3 pizzas today. Pepperoni, cheese and three meat. Three meat is pepperoni, sausage and bacon. It is my favorite. I drive the half hour there get my food drive the half hour home. I open my favorite pizza only to see it covered in ham. That is not even on a three meat pizza how could this have happened. I expected aplogies when I called an admitted mistake. What I got had me :glare: :confused: The managers exact words to me were, "We ran out of sausage so I substituted the ham in it's place it will taste very good I love it". WHAT?? What? Are you kidding me.

That is like saying I know you ordered steak but I feel you will enjoy this burger more. Who in their right mind does this? Who puts something on another persons food and tells them to like it! She was amazed I expected it replaced. She kept asking why I wanted another pizza. I am in shock. I have worked in food service for years when I was in college I never would have dreamed of doing this.

I ordered 3 pizzas today. Pepperoni, cheese and three meat. Three meat is pepperoni, sausage and bacon. It is my favorite. I drive the half hour there get my food drive the half hour home. I open my favorite pizza only to see it covered in ham. That is not even on a three meat pizza how could this have happened. I expected aplogies when I called an admitted mistake. What I got had me :glare: :confused: The managers exact words to me were, "We ran out of sausage so I substituted the ham in it's place it will taste very good I love it". WHAT?? What? Are you kidding me.

That is like saying I know you ordered steak but I feel you will enjoy this burger more. Who in their right mind does this? Who puts something on another persons food and tells them to like it! She was amazed I expected it replaced. She kept asking why I wanted another pizza. I am in shock. I have worked in food service for years when I was in college I never would have dreamed of doing this.

Sounds like the manager is a young 'un. Trying to do the best he/she can, but failing.

(My most charitable best guess.)

Sorry about that!

Whoever is his/her manager probably needs to know, because that is NOT the right way to handle the situation, obviously.

Years ago, we ordered cinnamon sticks from Dominoes. When we got them, they tasted terrible. Why? Because they had run out of regular butter and were using the garlic butter instead!

When I called to complain, I got the run around. The "manager" told me that they had many calls that night from customers who were so very happy with the way it tasted.

Yeah, right. Idiot.

It's amazing she could say all that without taking a breath.

I am sorry about your pizza. We try to check food orders before we leave the restaurant but we don't always remember.

I could see subbing the ham for the bacon but not the sausage.

it kinda reminds me of when I got a slice of (what I thought was sausage) pizza in Omaha. It was the most bland sausage I had ever tasted...because it was hamburger! :ack2:

Sounds like the manager is a young 'un. Trying to do the best he/she can, but failing.

(My most charitable best guess.)

Sorry about that!

Whoever is his/her manager probably needs to know, because that is NOT the right way to handle the situation, obviously.

Thats another thing, if it was a young girl I could have laughed it off. I would guess this woman was older than me and I am 34. I am still thinking about it. Who does this is all I can think of!

While I agree that the manager didn't really handle it well (acting like it was no big deal), I'm also not sure exactly what would have been the right way to handle that. If they ran out of sausage, they ran out of it; she can't magically make more of that appear. It's a bummer for you (been in similar situations -- we went to Chili's for *Mother's Day,* and they were out of FOUR things I ordered!), but what else can she do? I think she should have been up-front and told you about the substitution when you picked up your pizza, allowing you to decide whether you wanted it that way, or whether you wanted another pepperoni pizza, or extra pepperoni on the meat pizza, or whatever. And I think she should have offered you a free pizza another time, since you weren't in a position to go back to swap it.

While I agree that the manager didn't really handle it well (acting like it was no big deal), I'm also not sure exactly what would have been the right way to handle that. If they ran out of sausage, they ran out of it; she can't magically make more of that appear. It's a bummer for you (been in similar situations -- we went to Chili's for *Mother's Day,* and they were out of FOUR things I ordered!), but what else can she do? I think she should have been up-front and told you about the substitution when you picked up your pizza, allowing you to decide whether you wanted it that way, or whether you wanted another pepperoni pizza, or extra pepperoni on the meat pizza, or whatever. And I think she should have offered you a free pizza another time, since you weren't in a position to go back to swap it.

Please tell me one wasn't the baby back ribs.

Please tell me one wasn't the baby back ribs.

LOL, I don't know -- they're not my thing. I'm a little on the picky side when it comes to eating out and don't generally order meat dishes at restaurants, so Chili's is somewhat limited for me. But everyone else likes it, and I had a coupon for free dessert, and I really like the southwestern eggrolls, so I was cool with Chili's. They were out of the eggrolls. So I ordered the "make your own appetizer, pick three" as my entree, and they were out of the shrimp that I really wanted for that. And the lemonade (IIRC) I wanted. The waitress felt so bad! (I went ahead and ordered my dessert with my meal so she could put my order in -- sure enough, I think she said I got the last one of that!)

It was still a nice dinner though. :) (And they did comp part of the meal, which was appropriate, I think.)

The managers exact words to me were, "We ran out of sausage so I substituted the ham in it's place it will taste very good I love it". WHAT?? What? Are you kidding me.

Sounds like someone who is either

a) from another culture where this sort of thing is acceptable

b) developmentally/socially disabled

c) on a power trip (maybe this is her only opportunity?)

I think she should have been up-front and told you about the substitution when you picked up your pizza, allowing you to decide whether you wanted it that way, or whether you wanted another pepperoni pizza, or extra pepperoni on the meat pizza, or whatever.

That's how anyone with even one iota of concern about customer service would have handled it. It's up to the customer to decide what she wants as a substitute if what she wants isn't available—even if that means a completely different kind of pizza. It isn't an unusual situation for a restaurant to run out of something, and it isn't a difficult problem to solve.

I'm still :lol: and :ack2: at the cinnamon garlic bread.

Edited by WordGirl

Sorry, but your story had me LOL!! :lol: Sounds like some kid who wasn't sure how to really handle the problem. Go up a level to a manager, and insist on a FREE replacement pizza. If the manager isn't helpful enough, send off a complaint email to the corporate office and you'll probably be compensated for your inferior pizza. :D

I can't believe they just didn't tell you up front they were out of sausage. The had to know when you placed your order or seconds afterwards.

Maybe not. The person taking the order probably wouldn't have know until he hung up the phone and handed the order slip to the person who said, "You idiot! We're out of sausage!"

OP, I agree that the manager was probably doing the best she knew how to do. Kindly let them know that you were not happy, and try to understand that a minimum wage business won't always give you top dollar service.

Years ago, we ordered cinnamon sticks from Dominoes. When we got them, they tasted terrible. Why? Because they had run out of regular butter and were using the garlic butter instead!

When I called to complain, I got the run around. The "manager" told me that they had many calls that night from customers who were so very happy with the way it tasted.

Yeah, right. Idiot.

That is so insane!! :lol:

Yeah, right. Idiot.

Oh, ack.

I once got a cappuccino mistakenly sprinkled with cumin rather than cinnamon, but nobody tried to claim I should be grateful for it (and actually, it wasn't half bad).

I hate to admit this, but one time I went through the drive through at KFC and ended up with 8 pieces of chicken instead of 10. It would not have been a big deal if it had not been the second time in a row this had happened. I called the manager and had him bring me the extra 2 pieces. That's bad, huh. I still can't believe I did that. I must have had a bad day. :lol:

Maybe not. The person taking the order probably wouldn't have know until he hung up the phone and handed the order slip to the person who said, "You idiot! We're out of sausage!"

OP, I agree that the manager was probably doing the best she knew how to do. Kindly let them know that you were not happy, and try to understand that a minimum wage business won't always give you top dollar service.

Around here, Little Ceasers is a pick up. You don't call ahead, you just show up, so you would have been present when you placed the order.

I think you're over reacting a bit. Yes, you didn't get what you ordered, and yes they should have handled it better, but... the person was trying to do something in the face of a shortage that she thought would be acceptable. She didn't put ham on your pizza to spite you. She ran out of the sausage. They are both pig meat. It isn't the most unreasonable substitute.

What she should have done was call you back as soon as she knew she was out of sausage and ask if there was a substitute that would be acceptable to you, or if you wanted to order a different pizza or cancel the order.

Still... it's just ham instead of sausage. I don't think it's such a shocker.

Still... it's just ham instead of sausage. I don't think it's such a shocker.

I love bacon. I don't eat it often, but I do love it. I absolutely do NOT like ham and please, don't think about putting it on my pizza. If I order a BLT, I do not want to find out (especially after I get home) that it's really a HLT. :ack2:

I think the pp who said burger vs steak was a good comparison. And really, to not say something when you're there to pick up the order? Yeah, that doesn't work for me either.

Around here, Little Ceasers is a pick up. You don't call ahead, you just show up, so you would have been present when you placed the order.

Like one of those Subway sandwich shops? So wouldn't you be watching as they made your pizza and notice what they were putting on it?

If that is the case, why wouldn't someone correct them before they made a pizza that you didn't want to eat?

We ordered a specialty pizza once but I made it very clear, I did not want the onions that normally came with it. I watched them write down "no onions". 1 1/2 hours later, out it came with extra onions. I sent DH up to tell them they had made a mistake. They said they were really busy and we could pick the onions off:glare:.

To OP: I don't understand why they couldn't have just called and told you about it, they always take a number down when you order.

The managers exact words to me were, "We ran out of sausage so I substituted the ham in it's place it will taste very good I love it". WHAT?? What? Are you kidding me.

:lol: Crazy.

I would be sending an email.

Kindly let them know that you were not happy, and try to understand that a minimum wage business won't always give you top dollar service.

:iagree:Little Caesar's should have handled it a lot better, that's for sure, but this reminded me of the time we got HORRIBLE service at Steak-N-Shake and I told my sister about it. Her response? "It's Steak-N-Shake." She had that "what in the world did you expect" tone. I had to laugh because she was exactly right! After all, it's not like I was at Tavern on the Green. :lol: She really has a way with putting things into perspective!

Wait a minute....you drive for an hour to get a Little Caesars pizza??? :confused:

Bill

Yep! 26 miles to town!! I just cannot believe she insisted I would like it. I did the pickup thing so I was out in my car while they made it. They are the only place around that uses real bacon and not that canadian ham junk. Ham is nasty. Sorry to any ham lovers but it is gross. I ordered sausage, pepperoni and bacon. If I wanted ham I would have asked, you just don't put stuff on other peoples food and tell them to like it. I wanted what I paid for.

She told me I could have another pizza tomorrow but was really insistent that I should like it. Why didn't I like it she kept asking. It's ham it's gross it is not what I paid for. I don't feel I should have had someone put something on my food and tell me to like it. I don't like it not at all. I was just in shock. I was right out front she even had the cell number. I just cannot get over that. It's my money and if I pay for something I want it.

I never let the pizza guy leave without making sure I have my actual order- usually pesto, artichokes, mushrooms and goat cheese on one pie and pepperoni, olives and mushrooms on the other. I don't care if they will replace it. It sucks too much to walk upstairs and find something we did not order and do not like. :glare:

I am sorry they messed up your order. They certainly should ask in advance about substitions.

ETA: there is a pizza that the place we order from sells that also has pesto so it has happened more than once that I open the box and it is pesto, white sauce, roasted peppers and ricotta cheese. Which is totally yucky to me. I would be baffled if the manager said to me, "well ma'am they both have pesto and it tastes good to me!"

Edited by kijipt

I never let the pizza guy leave without making sure I have my actual order- usually pesto, artichokes, mushrooms and goat cheese on one pie and pepperoni, olives and mushrooms on the other. I don't care if they will replace it. It sucks too much to walk upstairs and find something we did not order and do not like. :glare:

I am sorry they messed up your order. They certainly should ask in advance about substitions.

Thank you! I mean it is our food we pay for it. It should be made the way we order.

Bad customer service and why did they not just pick up the phone and say we are out of bacon? All of my kids have worked for Pizza Hut. Today we ordered 14 pizzas (all different) for a party for ds. The got our order exactly right and because ds was leaving for basic training they took off $50 from our price. Now, I call that service.

I like LC but we are Hut people here.

Yeah, right. Idiot.

That is ridiculously hilarious! :001_huh::lol:

Like one of those Subway sandwich shops? So wouldn't you be watching as they made your pizza and notice what they were putting on it?

If that is the case, why wouldn't someone correct them before they made a pizza that you didn't want to eat?

At least here, they take your order in the front and yell the order into the back. You can not see them.

Wait a minute....you drive for an hour to get a Little Caesars pizza??? :confused:

Bill

I got a kick out of that. We probably wouldn't walk across the street for a Little Caesars pizza. :lol:

We don't have LC in this area. We have so many mom & pop pizza shops that most pizza chains (except for Pizza Hut) don't come into this market. There are at least 6 locally owned pizza places within a mile from my house. There were 8 but two recently closed (one closed after 40 years in business and the another closed after about 5.)

Bill

Bill,

To each his own, right? :D

I've never tasted Little Caesar's pizza, but I rememer the television commercial from when I was a kid.

What would YOU drive an hour for?

(I think I would drive 30 minutes each way for really good Indian or Japanese food. Yep.)

No, huh, uh, not acceptable. With all the allergies and medical diets people have to follow, you CANNOT make a food substitution without permission. Even one pork product for another, because they are prepared differently, by different cooking methods using different spices.

And the other poster who mentioned being asked "to pick it off." No. It leaves residue. If you are allergic, it is enough to cause problems.

The only acceptable, professional thing to do is to contact the customer and ask if you can make a substitution, and if you've made a mistake, you need to ask if your proposed solution is acceptable.

DH thinks I'm funny, because I am an introvert who hates confrontation in real-life (my online alter ego can be quite different), but the one thing that gets me up there talking to the manager every time is a mistake in our order. (I'm polite, but insistent.)

Sorry it happened, but I also think it's a little funny that she could think that way ! Perhaps she will reconsider before doing this again.

I was at an ethnic restaurant on a Friday evening once...very busy. The two waiters got about 20 entrees at at least six different tables completely mixed up. As they were setting down plates all over the dining room, everyone started saying "this isn't what I ordered"....so.... they started randomly handing out dishes, telling us each what they were and how much we would like them ! It was hilarious ! They tried to give me one with shellfish which I am allergic to, so I told the waiter that, and he gave that to another customer who said he would like to try it, and gave me another random entree...none of us got what we ordered, they charged us all a flat (very low) price for dinner.....:lol: