Menu

Food Police

Would this annoy you?  

1. 1. Would this annoy you?

• yes
    • no

My dd has gone to a Girl Scout camp every year for the past five years. It is a day camp but it meets in the evening to avoid the heat of the day. She loves it and I do too.

BUT (and you knew there was going to be a but right) each year the list of foods they are not allowed to bring gets longer. Most of it I understand because it has to do with food allergies. There is a girl who has been assigned to my dd's group each year who has an extremely severe peanut allergy. Even breathing on her after you eat pb will send her to the hospital or worse. So even though the long list of things can't bring on her account is a hardship (cause I have to buy foods that are not the norm) I can clearly understand the reason.

But now to the part that annoys me.............the list includes some things that I think the food police just don't think are healthy. For example, no soda. Uhm............who are they to decide what I can and can't put in my child's lunch. Yeah, I know soda isn't healthy and no my kids don't drink it all the time but if I want to send one with her as a treat, who are they to tell me that I can't.

So what think you?

Edited by MamaJo

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't give us an 'other' option, so I said yes. It wouldn't bother me that much. I've come to expect such things when my children participate in activities like that. So, while I might be slightly annoyed it wouldn't extend beyond that.

Yes me too. And generally I think I react like you. Aunt Flo is probably getting ready to visit.

Maybe I'm just getting crabby in my old age, but I've been a mother for 22 years (in two weeks!) and I don't need people constantly telling me how to raise my children or what to feed them. I've watched these kinds of rules become more and more common over the years and it is starting to annoy me. I can understand severe allergies, but other food is my choice.

Someone has been encouraging this. If all they hear is complaints about kids coming home in the evening wired, the list will get even worse.

Can you talk to whoever is running it?

Even more effective would be to demand a refund because "the food list is too restrictive" and contact both Council and National, telling them your daughter won't be participating this year because of this issue. Be very clear about the list including items that are NOT life threatening allergy items for those seated around your dd,but merely the personal preferences of some of the staff.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Someone has been encouraging this. If all they hear is complaints about kids coming home in the evening wired, the list will get even worse.

Can you talk to whoever is running it?

Even more effective would be to demand a refund because "the food list is too restrictive" and contact both Council and National, telling them your daughter won't be participating this year because of this issue. Be very clear about the list including items that are NOT life threatening allergy items for those seated around your dd,but merely the personal preferences of some of the staff.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You are right that this would be the way to go to get results BUT I would have to be willing to follow through and I am not. This particular camp is something my dd looks forward to all year long.

It would not bother me. If my child participates in an organized activity, the organizers have the right to set rules. They might have had bad experiences with kids and soda. They might not want sugar high, they might not want kids whining because they did not get soda, they might not want sticky drinks spilling. Their camp - their rules.

Would you feel the same if the camp did provide certain food and drink for the campers and they could not bring anything from home?

Have you considered that they might have other reasons for restricting certain foods?

Soda makes a huge, sticky mess when spilled. Which it always is, in a group of giggling kids. Juice is also sticky, but the hole in a juice box is much smaller than than a soda can or bottle opening, and even the bigger juice boxes are generally have several ounces less than a can or bottle of soda.

And this is at least partly outdoors, right? Chocolate melts. All candy and sweets, including soda, attract ants and other bugs VERY quickly in an outdoor setting. The same problem exists with cookies and chips and such, but to a much lesser degree. Sugary items are just a clarion call to ants.

I used to think some rules were very odd - cookies but not cupcakes being allowed, for example. Then I had some more direct experience and realized that cookies don't know HOW to crumble when compared to cake items. Cupcakes, especially when frosted, can make an unholy mess that is out of all proportion to the number of kids and cupcakes!

So, it's possible they are being the "clean" police rather than the food police. Or just the "let's see if our volunteers can keep their sanity, shall we?" police.

It would bug me. I can see why they want to eliminate soda and such -- shaken up sodas causing mess, kids hyped up on caffeine and therefore possibly harder to manage. . . But I think it's not really their place to do that. If they want to make a gentle suggestion, that might be one thing, but to outright forbid soda and such -- that would bug me.

One big reason that would bug me is because it tends to diminish the importance of the actual allergy. Kids might react badly to the dyes and caffeine in soda, but they're not going to be allergic to it, like the one girl is to peanuts. So people tend to think, "oh, a little soda's no big deal, a little peanut butter is no big deal, she can just stay away from it," when it sounds like no, she can't just stay away from it. When you include too much on the "no" list, you make all of it less important, and it's more likely that people will ignore all of it, including the "no peanuts" thing.

It would not bother me. If my child participates in an organized activity, the organizers have the right to set rules. They might have had bad experiences with kids and soda. They might not want sugar high, they might not want kids whining because they did not get soda, they might not want sticky drinks spilling. Their camp - their rules.

Would you feel the same if the camp did provide certain food and drink for the campers and they could not bring anything from home?

No, in fact if the list continues to grow, I am going to suggest that they provide food instead of having the kids bring it. It becomes harder and harder each year to know what to send.

Life threatening allergies are one thing.

Personal preferences are another.

:iagree:

We have 2 kids in our hs group with severe peanut allergies, and we decided that we would be a nut free group. The parents still bring food from home for those kids, but at least they know there won't be peanut butter residue on the playground equipment.

We do have some healthier-than-thou eaters in our group, but thankfully no one dictates what we bring for our own kids, beyond the no nut rule.

Have you considered that they might have other reasons for restricting certain foods?

Soda makes a huge, sticky mess when spilled. Which it always is, in a group of giggling kids. Juice is also sticky, but the hole in a juice box is much smaller than than a soda can or bottle opening, and even the bigger juice boxes are generally have several ounces less than a can or bottle of soda.

And this is at least partly outdoors, right? Chocolate melts. All candy and sweets, including soda, attract ants and other bugs VERY quickly in an outdoor setting. The same problem exists with cookies and chips and such, but to a much lesser degree. Sugary items are just a clarion call to ants.

I used to think some rules were very odd - cookies but not cupcakes being allowed, for example. Then I had some more direct experience and realized that cookies don't know HOW to crumble when compared to cake items. Cupcakes, especially when frosted, can make an unholy mess that is out of all proportion to the number of kids and cupcakes!

So, it's possible they are being the "clean" police rather than the food police. Or just the "let's see if our volunteers can keep their sanity, shall we?" police.

There certainly could be other reasons. Particularly with the Girl Scouts who are well know for liking their rules.

The banning of certain foods due to allergies and soda (and candy if that were banned) wouldn't annoy me at all. Were there a long list in addition to that, it would start to annoy me, but I voted based on the OP, which only mentioned allergy-triggering food and soda.

ETA: my son does have soda and candy sometimes-- I just wanted to be clear that I don't ban it myself.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

I passed on a preschool co-op in which I was interested when I saw the 3 page list of rules for the snack that parents had to take turns in providing for the group. I could understand the allergy issue, making sure there was a vegan option available, and common sense stuff like avoiding HFCS. But this was way, way, way, *WAY* over-the-top.

When did the Food Nazis get permission to impose their paranoia about ingesting "impure" food on the rest of us? :glare:

They are the people putting together a program for a lot of kids, probably trying to teach healthy habits. If you want to give your daughter soda for a special treat, keep her home and give it to her.

Except that things like Kool-aid and Hi-C are not on the list of don't brings. The only way you can teach healthy habits would be to completely be in charge of the food. Otherwise the kids parents are just going to send a variation of the things they already eat at home.

I didn't answer the poll.

It would annoy me if it was just a personal preference about what someone thinks is healthy or not.

But it is possible that someone has an allergy or intollerance to HFCS which is in most soda or even food coloring which is in some sodas too.

It wouldn't bother me at all, but I can see why it bothers you.

If I were running the camp, I'd definitely be happier if kids weren't wired on soda and whatever else. As a parent, the list wouldn't bother me because I tend to give him water/veggies/whole grains for meals. It wouldn't cramp my style at all. However, if it was out of accord with what I normally serve, I can see it being annoying. But, being me, I'd just send him with weird food that they'd never put on a list. Cactus and dragon fruit and pickled cow's tongue. He loves that stuff and I can be snarky that way. :001_huh:

I didn't answer the poll.

It would annoy me if it was just a personal preference about what someone thinks is healthy or not.

But it is possible that someone has an allergy or intollerance to HFCS which is in most soda or even food coloring which is in some sodas too.

Unless its life threatening, I still don't think it should be on the list.

I can't have gluten. I wouldn't be surprised if one of my kids ended up the same way.

So, since my mom has Celiac's, and I at least have IBS, should I request/demand that any group they're in not have gluten? I mean, I eat gluten, and there's physical pain involved after. Should everyone adhere to such a diet when in a group setting?

No, I think that would be highly unreasonable. Not to mention, viciously expensive for others in the group.

I would think if soda was on a list of "DENIED!!!" items and koolaid was not that it would be an issue of hydration. Hydration is very important and I would agree with them in that it is not an appropriate treat at a camp. It isn't only an unhealthy option but proper hydration is the safe choice when one is going to be in the heat.

Koolaid might be full of dyes that turn some kids into Tasmanian devils all over the place but at least they would be hydrated Tasmanian devils.

I don't give my kids soda if they are going to be in the heat but it certainly isn't banned from my house (my precious)

I cannot imagine what else is on the list but I would imagine there was a rational reason behind it.

Edited by Sis

I would think if soda was on a list of "DENIED!!!" items and koolaid was not that it would be an issue of hydration. Hydration is very important and I would agree with them in that it is not an appropriate treat at a camp. It isn't only an unhealthy option but proper hydration is the safe choice when one is going to be in the heat.

Koolaid might be full of dyes that turn some kids into Tasmanian devils all over the place but at least they would be hydrated Tasmanian devils.

I cannot imagine what else is on the list but I would imagine there was a rational reason behind it.

:iagree: When we took middle/high schoolers on mission trip to Mexico, we banned/didn't allow them to drink soda until after the sun went down. It was a hydration issue.

:iagree: When we took middle/high schoolers on mission trip to Mexico, we banned/didn't allow them to drink soda until after the sun went down. It was a hydration issue.

I was in a highly physical youth activity during the summers when I would younger and soda was NOT ALLOWED all summer. If someone else saw us drinking it on our free time we could get in trouble.

For the record, I am one of those "healthier-than thou" eaters... but, yes it would absolutely bug me. I don't want anyone telling me what I can or can't pack in my own kid's lunch. And if another kid brings a soda and shares some with mine... So what? It's not the end of the world. I wouldn't impose my choices on someone else just because my kid might be upset he didn't get something either.

A friend of mine told me her school only allows fruit and water for a snack. :confused: I don't know about other kids but mine need some protein to keep them going! Hummus? Cheese? Madness.

(FTR#2-- Obviously I'm not talking about food allergies here; that's a whole different ball game)

I agree. It's not the same as a public program telling you what to pack in your child's lunch. Private programs are chosen because they meet a particular need and you want that particular need met.

I'm also reminded of a song: You can't always get what you waaant, but you just might get what you nneeeed.

I remember a Waldorf school parent who was upset there were no computers in the Kindergarten. ;) lol I remember running a child's art program where glitter, feather and sequins were forbidden beause they make too much of a mess. There are all sorts of odd little rules that at first don't make sense, but if one stops and thinks, some things do make sense. Do you want an angry custodian who glares at you...over glitter? Maybe these girl scouts have a health badge they are working on. :auto: Do Girl Scouts still earn badges? Or does everyone get a prize just for showing up?

Edited by LibraryLover

I agree. It's not the same as a public program telling you what to pack in your child's lunchbox, Private programs are not mandatory.

I remember a Waldorf school parent who was upset their were no computers in the Kindergarten. ;) lol Maybe these gorls scouts have a health badge they are working on. :auto: Do Girl Scouts still earn badges, even. Or does everyone get a prize for showing up?

I would agree if this was an organization rule, but it's not. I was a unit leader at a GS summer camp and we sold soda at the "trading post" for a treat. If there was a reasonable reason given, I would support it, but just because.... It's going to bug me.

I also agree that if takes away from the true life threatening allergies some kids face (such as the PB).

Quote:

Originally Posted by regentrude viewpost.gif

I agree. It's not the same as a public program telling you what to pack in your child's lunch. Private programs are chosen because they meet a particular need and you want that particular need met.

I would agree if this was an organization rule, but it's not. I was a unit leader at a GS summer camp and we sold soda at the "trading post" for a treat. If there was a reasonable reason given, I would support it, but just because.... It's going to bug me.

I also agree that if takes away from the true life threatening allergies some kids face (such as the PB).

:iagree: I've been a leader for almost 10 years and have been to lots of GS occasions (meetings, camporee, camps, etc) and the only food limitations ever had to do with nut allergies.

Anything non-allergy related would annoy me and I'd protest.

Like you say, it's none of their business. If I want to send a soda and a pack of chips and a pack of cookies, it should be up to me to do so.

(I wouldn't, but still -- it should be my choice, as long as my choice is not endangering some other child)

:) I'm not mad. I am just trying to see, in a common sense way, why this has to be an issue. I just don't see where one would get the energy to let this bug. It's worse than thinking about mascara. ;) So they don't want soda...for whatever reason...so what? She can have soda when she comes home. So she can't have Doritos until supper? Why do such simple things have to take so much mental energy? It's *soda*. It's bad for you. They don't want soda at *this particular * Girl Scout program even if they had it at the last. Sticky mess, sugar, caffeine issues for some of the children (kids do often share), HFCS allergies...whatever. It's like not there is a No Baby Carrots rule.

Edited by LibraryLover

I would not have an issue with it. My dd is in a YMCA camp now and has looked ahead in the menu to see what looks very processed (chicken nuggets,e.g.) and I will pack her alternative food for those days. This is a child who has had no trouble telling grandparents point blank that she won't eat processed food/HFCS/etc. after reading a few books on the subject on her own. She is her own food police and I am proud of her.

I threw a royal, screaming sh*tfit two years ago when I sent a candy bar in my dd's lunch to celebrate her very first day of school ever and the teacher sent it back home with a note to the effect that it was a poor food choice and was not allowed in school. I wrote her a very tersely worded letter to the effect that I was perfectly capable of making food choices for my child and that I would consider to do so until such time as I was given a legitimate reason as to why it wouldn't be allowed. This same teacher requested that parents donate candy for her to use a rewards and treats. :confused: Apparently, she was the only one that was able to decide when it was appropriate and acceptable for children to have candy.

I just don't see where you get the energy to let this bug you. It's worse than thinking about mascara. ;) So they don't want soda...for whatever reason...so what? She can have soda when she comes home. So she can't have Doritos until supper? Why do such simple things have to take so much mental energy? It's *soda*. It's bad for you. They don't want soda at *this particular * Girl Scout program even they had it at the last. Sticky mess, sugar, caffiene issues for some of the children, HFCS...whatever. It's like not there is a No Baby Carrots rule.

Soda in moderation isn't bad. Overindulgence is. And what my child eats/drinks should be my decision.

But the main issue is this: If I give into this without any protest, then what about the next item that gets included on the list, or the next? If it's really necessary to decide what these girls should/shouldn't eat, then just supply the meal(s). But don't put it on an allergy list.

Soda in moderation isn't bad. Overindulgence is. And what my child eats/drinks should be my decision.

But the main issue is this: If I give into this without any protest, then what about the next item that gets included on the list, or the next? If it's really necessary to decide what these girls should/shouldn't eat, then just supply the meal(s). But don't put it on an allergy list.

Then you find a program more suited to your needs. I am sure there are many programs allowing soda. I thought soda and pizza were mandatory foods for youth groups. :lurk5:

I threw a royal, screaming sh*tfit two years ago when I sent a candy bar in my dd's lunch to celebrate her very first day of school ever and the teacher sent it back home with a note to the effect that it was a poor food choice and was not allowed in school. I wrote her a very tersely worded letter to the effect that I was perfectly capable of making food choices for my child and that I would consider to do so until such time as I was given a legitimate reason as to why it wouldn't be allowed. This same teacher requested that parents donate candy for her to use a rewards and treats. :confused: Apparently, she was the only one that was able to decide when it was appropriate and acceptable for children to have candy.

Public schools should not dictate what you pack for your child to eat. That's something different. That's daily, for 9 months out of the year. It's not a short term private camp program.

:) I'm not mad. I am just trying to see, in a common sense way, why this has to be an issue. I just don't see where one would get the energy to let this bug. It's worse than thinking about mascara. ;) So they don't want soda...for whatever reason...so what? She can have soda when she comes home. So she can't have Doritos until supper? Why do such simple things have to take so much mental energy? It's *soda*. It's bad for you. They don't want soda at *this particular * Girl Scout program even if they had it at the last. Sticky mess, sugar, caffiene issues for some of the children, HFCS allergies...whatever. It's like not there is a No Baby Carrots rule.

but that's just the point. If the "no soda" rule is there only because of someone's personal preference, then where does it stop? at what? will sports drinks be banned next because they are too high in sugar? Only water allowed? What if I want to send milk in a thermos for a child who needs plenty of fats in his diet, but they decide "only water" next year?

What if next year the person in charge says "no foods with HFCS"??

What if next year they decide pretzels only, no potato chips? Or plain chips, no flavored ones?

I realize we can, as parents, choose to take the rules with the activity but I automatically bristle -- big time -- at someone telling me what to do IF they do not have (or choose to share) their very valid reason for doing so.

Give me the reason, or the goal, and let me make my choices within that guideline. Tell me "we need our campers to stay well hydrated, so try to choose drinks that aid towards that" -- then I will choose water or fresh juice.

Tell me "we've had a large problem with crumbs and sticky drips attracting ants this year, so please keep that in mind when sending snacks for your child" and I will send fruit or veggie sticks instead of cookies or chips, I will send water or juice in a thermos/sports bottle that is unlikely to drip.

Give me the guidelines and the point of the rules, and trust me to choose well for my child. Don't tell me "do not bring a, b, c, d, ...., x, y, z" except for those life-threatening allergy items, or I will be tempted to give my child those forbidden foods at home before taking him to the event, carry my own in when I drop him off/pick him up, and otherwise be obnoxious about it.

I would be fine with it and know that my preferences and needs would also be taken into account should they arise.

Choosing fun foods that meet the guidelines becomes part of the whole camp experience. It might be fun to try some shared foods, cooking, etc. al well.

But the main issue is this: If I give into this without any protest, then what about the next item that gets included on the list, or the next?
:iagree: Yep, they are heating up the water under the frog and no one is noticing. Soon, there will be no freedom left.

Then you find a program more suited to your needs.
Unfortunately, it appears that way too many people have taken this approach to Girl Scouts and now the program has been just about ruined.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Edited by In The Great White North
typo

but that's just the point. If the "no soda" rule is there only because of someone's personal preference, then where does it stop? at what? will sports drinks be banned next because they are too high in sugar? Only water allowed? What if I want to send milk in a thermos for a child who needs plenty of fats in his diet, but they decide "only water" next year?

What if next year the person in charge says "no foods with HFCS"??

What if next year they decide pretzels only, no potato chips? Or plain chips, no flavored ones?

I realize we can, as parents, choose to take the rules with the activity but I automatically bristle -- big time -- at someone telling me what to do IF they do not have (or choose to share) their very valid reason for doing so.

Give me the reason, or the goal, and let me make my choices within that guideline. Tell me "we need our campers to stay well hydrated, so try to choose drinks that aid towards that" -- then I will choose water or fresh juice.

Tell me "we've had a large problem with crumbs and sticky drips attracting ants this year, so please keep that in mind when sending snacks for your child" and I will send fruit or veggie sticks instead of cookies or chips, I will send water or juice in a thermos/sports bottle that is unlikely to drip.

Give me the guidelines and the point of the rules, and trust me to choose well for my child. Don't tell me "do not bring a, b, c, d, ...., x, y, z" except for those life-threatening allergy items, or I will be tempted to give my child those forbidden foods at home before taking him to the event, carry my own in when I drop him off/pick him up, and otherwise be obnoxious about it.

I would much rather have these restrictions than think about what they would give the kids otherwise!