Menu

Does anyone else her drink raw milk?

CarenM

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the only milk our family drinks, too. Here in Australia it's illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption as well, so they sell it as "bath milk". Our milk also comes from a very small dairy (they occasionally don't have quite enough milk for everyone who wants it, at certain times of the year) and they are very particular about hygiene and cleanliness. They have a reputation to protect :001_smile:. I will never go back to drinking pasteurised milk if I can help it, especiall from a large, commercial dairy.

Nah, not really. I just made it all up. :tongue_smilie:

Why are you jumping all over my answer? I said that we don't and I showed part of the Health Canada information.

Whether OTHER foods may have contaminates doesn't change the risks with raw milk.

I don't have the same level of suspicion toward the canadian government as you seem to have toward yours.

I am not jumping all over your answer, really, just wanting to point out that just because the government says it is so, doesn't mean that one should not go ahead and think for themselves and decide for themselves. I felt that you posted that government information as if to share it with these folks who are living on the edge by drinking raw milk, as if they weren't aware of that information, and it should change their mind. Maybe that wasn't your intention. But that is what it felt like. "I don't drink raw milk simply because the government tells me I shouldn't" is what I got from your post, that's all I am saying. And the intended reaction would be "oooh, really, I didn't know the government said it was dangerous!!"

As far as "suspicion", naaaawwww, I am not suspicious at all of my government, but I am fully aware that it is ran by humans, who make mistakes, err in judgements, and flat out lie. Everything example I stated was not based on suspicion, but true, proven examples. I would LOVE to be able to sit back and have my government run things they way they should be, to know that the government fully has the interest of the people at large as the forethought. But sadly, that is just not the case, at least not for every member of the government. I would LOVE to be able to say "I do this or don't do this because my government tells me so". But that simply would not be a wise thought process,*and though some people do that, it is probably half of the reason that the U.S. is in the situation we are in today.

Anyhoo....sorry to tangent, but really, I was not attacking you, just simply pointing out that most raw milk drinks could give a hoot about what the government has to say about it.

If it's handled right, I love raw milk. We drink raw goat milk pretty often. We get it from someone who has only a few goats and is very clean.

As far as freezing it, I can only speak for goat milk, and it does not freeze well at all. It separates and you get a yellowish layer and a white layer, and you have to blend it in the blender to mix the two again, but I wouldn't drink it. I know people who freeze it and then blend it and make goat milk soap with it.

If you separate it first this shouldn't be a problem.

We have a milk cow so we have all the raw milk we can handle! Love the stuff-DH and I both grew up on it. We're hyper careful about sanitation and we've never had a problem in the slightest. We go through about three gallons a day of milk-more if I buy Kid Ol' Roy (the huge bags of cereal that I buy when we need to use up the milk!)

We make our own butter, yogurt, and sour cream too...

My SIL that is lactose intolerant can drink raw milk with no issue.

Skim milk can freeze but the whole milk does indeed separate and turn into a nasty concoction that isn't fit for humans but chickens LOVE. We made a lot of sweet mash for the chickens out of ours.

My 13 year old son's favorite snack is a half dozen fried eggs on homemade bread toast with a Mason jar of milk on the side-he can fix it in about 3 minutes. :)

We used to. But it's not legal here, and the closest place we can get it is about a two hour drive one way. Now that we don't make the drive, we just don't drink much milk at all anymore (and, by the way, the organic store milk is more expensive than the organic raw milk that we used to buy).

I agree - once you'v had it, the rest tastes terrible.

There are places here in N.E.W that you can get raw milk if you are part of a cow-share co-op. (It is not illegal to drink your own cow's milk, so many people join together to 'buy' a cow. I'm just south of you, and I have several friends locally that do this. I can get the info from them if you would like - just PM me if you're interested :))

We pay $5 per gallon and I have seen the whole process and know what our farmer does every step of the way. She sometimes has more milk than she can sell in time as fresh so she will sell it to us as "pet milk". Usually it is just about a week old and we only pay $2 for it. I will buy a bunch and freeze it to use in yoghurt, kefir, cheese, etc. I have a friend who does freeze the milk her family drinks and says that you just have to shake it vigorously while it thaws to reincorporate the fat globules.

As an aside, our dairy farmer used to be a commercial dairy farmer. When she told me the practices it made me nauseous. There are only a few major dairies in the US but they buy milk from all over. The milk truck is sent to the individual farmers once a week, and then trucked to a central repository where it is all mixed together, pasteurized, and then bottled and shipped. Basically, the milk you get at stores is never less than about 2 weeks old. Thanks, but no thanks. I like to be able to pet the girls I get my milk from.

I buy milk from our neighbor (usually it's still warm from the cow), but we don't drink it raw- I boil it when I bring it home. The containers (mine or my neighbors) are always clean, but never sterilized and it's not worth the risk to me.

Honestly, I can't imagine that the quick pasteurization I do so markedly ruins the taste of the milk. It's still the best milk I've ever had and I don't regret not drinking it raw.

We love our raw milk here! I can't stand skim milk at all, but I like the raw stuff -- totally different product. Raw milk is completely legal here in PA, and I can get it from several different small farms. We drink two gallons a week (and would drink more, but it's not cheap -- $6-7 a gallon, depending on which farm). No, I'm not worried about getting sick; that's a risk I take with any food, pasteurized or not, and in PA, testing and licensing is required. We've been drinking raw for four years, including through two pregnancies, and we've all been very healthy. We have cut and modified our grocery budget to accomodate our financial status, but raw milk from grassfed cows would most likely be the last thing we'd ever cut.

We have one in Erie County Pa. They have to follow stringent standards. Here is a link to what they have on their website , pasturized verses raw

They charge $4.00 a gallon and you have to bring your own container. Which is about right for us in PA, even for the homogenized pasteurized milk. We go to Lakewood, NY where we can get a gallon of milk for $1.89 a gallon.

I have had raw milk. There was a farm that was close by us that sold it but they went out of business( the family moved away). But it was good and it did taste different and I don't remember it giving me stomach ache like 'regular' milk does.

The Raw milk farm in Columbus , PA sells it for $5.75, for a half gallon.

I also love free range eggs. They are the best. They have the biggest and yellowest yolk.

Edited by TracyR

We go through about three gallons a day of milk-more if I buy Kid Ol' Roy (the huge bags of cereal that I buy when we need to use up the milk!)

Thanks for the visual. :lol: Do you serve it in big stainless steel bowls?

Wow. Three, for your entire country? :001_huh:

Dairy Establishments in Canada

Number of farms/cows/heifers

There are hundreds of processing plants and tens of thousands of dairy farms in the US, but a few large companies have a disproportionate share of the market. According to the Canadian government, there are similar issues up north as well.

"The dairy processing sector is relatively concentrated. 15% of Canadian plants are owned by the three largest processors in the country (Saputo, Agropur and Parmalat), processing close to 80% of the total raw milk produced in Canada."

Small family farms are in a tough situation in both countries. Niche products are one way that they can still succeed. With raw milk, in particular, they have an advantage over the big companies. It doesn't scale up well. :tongue_smilie:

With regard to the OP's question, even though raw milk is legal here, I'd be hesitant to give personal information about that sort of thing due to (possibly justified) concerns about nosy doctors and CPS. But I have, um, a friend who's been drinking it for ten years, pregnancies included, and has raised four children on it so far. They are rarely ill for any reason. If the younger children ever have to go without their fresh milk for a few days -- whether they switch to pasteurized milk, or no milk at all -- they always come down with whatever preschool virus is going around. Seems like more than a coincidence.

Thing is, the milk in our area is certified and excellent quality, but it's $$$$. Someone said they get it for $1.50 a gallon? Around here it's more like $1.50 a glass. :glare: When the children get bigger, I think it'll be time to buy a cow.

Yep and we're raw milk dairy farmers. :001_smile:

http://www.facebook.com/centraloregonjerseyfarm

I just checked out your page, I really liked it, especially the blog links/articles. Your cows are beautiful! Our heifer is a Jersey/Brown Swiss cross-we already had the BS and wanted to work in the Jersey, can't wait to get her started! Congrats on your new place, I bet you're loving it!

Re: Kid Ol' Roy-my son serves it up in a big ol' tupperware bowl! By the ton... especially if I get the chocolate crud it really looks like dog food... I always cringe a little.

Nah, not really. I just made it all up. :tongue_smilie:

Why are you jumping all over my answer? I said that we don't and I showed part of the Health Canada information.

Whether OTHER foods may have contaminates doesn't change the risks with raw milk.

I don't have the same level of suspicion toward the canadian government as you seem to have toward yours.

I am not jumping all over your answer, really, just wanting to point out that just because the government says it is so, doesn't mean that one should not go ahead and think for themselves and decide for themselves. I felt that you posted that government information as if to share it with these folks who are living on the edge by drinking raw milk, as if they weren't aware of that information, and it should change their mind. Maybe that wasn't your intention. But that is what it felt like. "I don't drink raw milk simply because the government tells me I shouldn't" is what I got from your post, that's all I am saying. And the intended reaction would be "oooh, really, I didn't know the government said it was dangerous!!"

As far as "suspicion", naaaawwww, I am not suspicious at all of my government, but I am fully aware that it is ran by humans, who make mistakes, err in judgements, and flat out lie. Everything example I stated was not based on suspicion, but true, proven examples. I would LOVE to be able to sit back and have my government run things they way they should be, to know that the government fully has the interest of the people at large as the forethought. But sadly, that is just not the case, at least not for every member of the government. I would LOVE to be able to say "I do this or don't do this because my government tells me so". But that simply would not be a wise thought process,*and though some people do that, it is probably half of the reason that the U.S. is in the situation we are in today.

Anyhoo....sorry to tangent, but really, I was not attacking you, just simply pointing out that most raw milk drinks could give a hoot about what the government has to say about it.

Nah, I didn't post the snippet for that - I posted it to show what Health Canada advises us and to say (in a much shorter way) that I agreed with them about the risks (rather than just rephrase it all) Ă¢â‚¬Â¦. baby brain/newbie often on lap = shorter posts, not always explaining myself well. :p

I trust the information that comes through something like Health Canada because that information didn't just come from random people (I agree that government peeps can make screw ups and such) --- it's information that has come from medical professionalsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ and those people, I generally accept as knowing their stuff. I'm not a doctor - I didn't go to medical school for ten years or whatever it is that they doĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ know what I mean? It's kinda like.. I trust the mechanic to know what's wrong with my vehicle, the dentist to tell me what work my teeth need, the lawyer to advise me on legal matters, the tattoo artist to do my body art, and so onĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.

Sure, I can read some reviews/talk to other clients/look at portfolios/etc .. but in the end - I don't have the training, talent, skill, or anything else that these folks have in the respective areas and I can't 'be' themĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

I do think that, for the most part, our government works FOR usĂ¢â‚¬Â¦not against us. There's definitely a difference in the US/CAN distrust levels when it comes to governmentsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I don't know what causes it, but I can see it..especially around boards such as thisĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

Maybe it's the snow. Or the moose. Or the maple syrupĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.yeah I bet it's the maple syrup. :w00t:

We can't easily get raw milk in Texas. :glare:

But truthfully, although raw milk does taste *different,* I can't in my heart of hearts say that it tastes *better*. I'd prefer it, because I always prefer foods that are as unprocessed as possible. However, I drank raw milk in California and saw no health benefits at all. And my lactose-intolerant babies still couldn't tolerate it.

I would be happy being able to buy heavy cream that hasn't been ultrapasteurized with carageenan added, even if it wasn't raw. :glare:

Oh sure you can!!! :) check this site to http://www.realmilk.com

We love our raw milk. Helped with my daughters eczema/psoriasis, sons asthma and my lactose intolerance. We pay $6.50 a gallon. Worth every penny.

I just checked out your page, I really liked it, especially the blog links/articles. Your cows are beautiful! Our heifer is a Jersey/Brown Swiss cross-we already had the BS and wanted to work in the Jersey, can't wait to get her started! Congrats on your new place, I bet you're loving it!

Oh, what a neat combo for a dairy cow. She sounds lovely. Thank you for the kind words about our fb page, and, yes, our new place is such a blessing! Thanks for the friendly chat. :001_smile:

• 1 year later...

I live in Midland, Texas, also. I would like to try it for my thyroid issues. I watched several videos on youtube about how people cured their thyroid problems with raw milk. I figured I wouldn't hurt to try. CarenM, If you don't mind me asking how do you get yours?

Since the idea that a "clean farm" or "carefully handled milk" or "good hygiene practices" can keep bovine TB at bay is hysterically absurd....NO. No, we don't.

My grandmother had TB. My great aunt died from it. It's nothing to play around about.

No and I wouldn't try. One, because we are very lactose intolerant (I am deathly allergic to milk) so we don't drink much of it, and two because in a small online community I was a part of, 2 of the families there got really ill from raw milk- bloody diarrhea and vomitting, I can't remember what the illness was called. They did not live in the same area and that alone was enough to persuade me from trying it.

I grew up milking a cow. Both of my boys are unable to handle pasteurized milk so we bought a Jersey.

It was a long debate here between Jersey and Holstein as their milk does taste different. We went with Jersey cause I like the richer cheeses, more butter, and richer yogurt.

Here in Alberta cow share programs are legal. Ad selling cheese that has been ripened 30 days is legal. The laws that surround milk have more to do with the dairy board controlling it than it has to do with anything else. My boys health has improved dramatically since putting them on raw or cultures milk products (I culture everything I can)

I do warn people to be careful where you get your milk. Make sure the farmer is super careful and clean or that milk could be the carrier of anything.

We have 1 Nubian in milk and her two does that are pasture pets until they are a bit older. I was concerned that one goat would not be enough for my family of six, but she does give us about a gallon a day and has been for over 6 months. That is enough for me to make all the ice cream, yogurt, chevre, coffee creamer, cajeta and mozzarella I could ever desire. The kids use it in their cereals and and various other dishes.

My only issue is that I really want to make our own butter!!!

I've never tasted it because you can't get it here in NC unless you own a cow. Even owning a cow share is illegal. It's also illegal to go get some in SC and bring it back here. They tired to make a law that if you sold milk for animal consumption, that you had to put charcoal colored dye it in so it would be unpalatable to humans. I'm so glad I have my government at work to protect me from the evil milk. :angry:

Nope. "Raw milk" isn't allowed to be sold in CanadaĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and I wouldn't take that health risk.

information from Health Canada

including:

According to the Food and Drug Regulations, milk must be pasteurized in order to be sold in Canada. Pasteurization is a process where heat is applied to kill organisms that cause disease while keeping the nutritional properties of milk intact.

Raw or unpasteurized milk has not been treated with heat to pasteurize the milk and can have bacteria that can cause foodborne illness. Bacteria, such as Salmonella, E. coli and Listeria, have been found in raw or unpasteurized milk. These bacteria can cause foodborne illness and can lead to very serious conditions from fever, vomiting, and diarrhea to life-threatening kidney failure, miscarriage and death.

Not wishing to start a debate here, but you can get those same bacteria from spinach or cantaloupe, and they haven't banned those items. The banning of raw milk has more to do with big business realizing they would have no market if people drank raw milk from their local farmer. Don't be fooled that the sole reason for pasteurization is for your health.

We have tried it, I heard it was better for allergies. It didn't work for me.

It tasted great, I wished it would have worked out. It is very creamy. I have paid about $6-7 a gallon for raw goat or cow milk here in Kansas.

People freely advertise it here.

Really? What area of KS?

No kidding. The government allows people to purchase cigarettes and booze, but raw milk's a no-no? :confused: Thanks, but I'm an adult and will make my own decisions about how much "risk" I'm willing to take with what I consume... :glare:

AMEN. And that is what is so frustrating with this issue... big business has lobbied so hard and won that we don't have the right to purchase and consume raw milk. They treat raw milk as if it is an illegal drug and those that choose to partake have to jump through hoops in most states, I.e. be a part of a cow share or agree to drink "pet" milk. Truly ridiculous.

No and I wouldn't try. One, because we are very lactose intolerant (I am deathly allergic to milk) so we don't drink much of it, and two because in a small online community I was a part of, 2 of the families there got really ill from raw milk- bloody diarrhea and vomitting, I can't remember what the illness was called. They did not live in the same area and that alone was enough to persuade me from trying it.

Ummm, do you still eat spinach, cantaloupe, peanut butter? That same bacteria has been found in all of those and caused all the same problems, as well as death.

We did, but I ended up in the hospital with a bacterial infection. It was horrible. They dairy moved their cows south and then the HFS didn't send me the recal of one batch that was tested from the new dairy. It was an awful ordeal all around.

I an buy vat pasturized milk and it is delicious. I also used to get fresh goat milk from Oberhaslis but I'm a bit too far now. I would love a cow or goat in my backyard

But I am NOT for governing what we cannot consume. It's our business, and should be our fault should something happen.

We are part of a dairy collective. I own part of a cow and I pay for a percentage of its upkeep. I get a certain amount of the milk produced. The collective works with one farmer and we know the family well. I wouldn't buy raw milk any other way. I like knowing the farmer and knowing how the milk is handled. I trust that they follow best practices to provide clean safe milk for my family and theirs.

We did for a couple years but dh and ds were allergic to it (milk protien allergy). Raw milk contains the enzyme that lactose intolerant people need to digest dairy which pasturization destroys. If you are allergic to milk protein, however, you might still have a problem with raw milk. We got ours from an Amish community with an informal co-op - taking turns driving down to the farms to collect it. I think we paid about $2.50 per gallon (each farm set their own price per gallon).

I'm very supportive of allowing farmers to sell their products independently, and believe raw milk is far superior to pasturized. Like anything, you have to be careful that it is handled safely and in a clean environment.

From what I understand, the primary reason behind outlawing raw milk sales is that grocers can keep pasturized milk on the shelves much longer, and less would go to waste.

• 1 year later...