Menu

Have you ever drugged a kid who didn't need it on purpose?

Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you ever drugged a not-sick kid on purpose?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

In this article, it says that "Nearly one in five moms admits medicating their child to get through a special event like a plane flight; one in 12 does it just to get some peace and quiet on a regular night." So that equals about 20% or so. I was wondering what our breakdown would be. I've never done it, although I've joked about it to my husband occasionally. :001_smile:

ETA: I believe I made it anonymous, although I've never made a poll on here before, so be warned in case.;)

Edited by Meagan S

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've joked about it and thought about it... but never actually followed through. Both dc were HORRIBLE sleepers when infants, though at different stages. I nursed to get ds through plane rides when he was under 1 yr, and after that he didn't need anything. Both my dc LOVE to take a trip in a plane and are better behaved than many adults I've seen.:001_huh:

ETA I had a friend that kept a bottle of infant Tylenol in her diaper bag and would give a dropper full to her dc if they even felt remotely warm (after yelling & bouncing all over the restaurant seats)... or if they just asked for it because they liked the taste. I never understood that... especially since she was a health care worker and worked with high risk pregnancies!?

Edited by bairnmama

No, although when choosing which cold medicine to give a snuffly kid on the flight from Honolulu to Atlanta, I did choose the one most likely to make her drowsy.

(And boy did that ever backfire. Turns out this particular kid has the opposite reaction. Nothing like a very awake and snuffly 15-month-old on a long flight. :lol:)

Depends on how you define "need". Dd had always had trouble sleeping, but it was particularly bad when we traveled. When she was 2, we were visiting dh's parents, and she wouldn't go to bed. After a few hours of trying to get her to sleep, we gave her some benedryl.

It made her worse. I don't think she went to sleep until about 2 or 3 am.

Yes! When the kids were little they were very prone to ear infections. I would always give an antihistamine before a flight. I wanted their ears draining well. ;)

Also, if dd goes thru a bout with sleep issues I will do about 2 nights of allergy meds to help her over the anxiety about being able to sleep.

I could be wrong, but at one point in history I believe it was common to give children wine or milk with brandy(?), after particularly distressing situations or exposure to cold. Again, I may be wrong on the particular type of alcohol.

Do I think these should be the first line of defense? Of course not!

No, but I can imagine the mother who felt the need to based on the thread we had a while ago about airplane travel.

With such a huge fear of ticking off another passenger, I'm surprised there isn't MORE of this.

I think it is terrible.

No. I have drugged myself on occasion though:tongue_smilie:

Susan

:lol:

Benadryl to head off congestion, melatonin when needed, so I guess that does not count, and prophylactic tylenol when my allergic to motrin with a knee problem boy has to hike.

And then for me . . .

No, though I don't find it terribly horrifying and know a lot of people IRL who have said/indicated that this is an option they use or consider, ie., "Well, there's always Benedryl..."

I've heard people say this too- but I thought they were joking. In fact, I have probably said it.....but I was definitely joking.

I'll admit to "yes" but not sure if "needed" or not. My older son gets melatonin at night occasionally, as per his psychiatrist. I suppose it is not really due to illness, but I do give it to him if he can't sleep. The article wasn't clear exactly what they meant though.

I also use chamomile or Rescue Remedy if a child is really upset and doesn't seem able to calm down with the usual measures.

Yes, I gave my daughter benadryl on our flight home from China, which turned out to be a 30 hr total trip. We had just adopted her and she was frightened and hysterical on every plane, bus, car or taxi. The doctor at the medical clinic suggested a bit of benadryl so we gave her some to relax her and lower her anxiety level.

No, I once had it out with my mom about it though. Digby was a horrible sleeper and when we went out to visit her for Christmas it was even worse. He was about six months old and she kept insisting he was teething. There was absolutely no sign of it and I knew it was more likely that he was just worse because he was in a new environment (Pigby always did worse when he wasn't in his own crib too). I told her it had been going on for two weeks and she said sometimes it takes that long. And I yelled, "I'm not giving him Tylenol for two weeks when I have no idea what's wrong with him."

This year we gave Pigby Benedryl to try and help his nose from running. His nose kept bleeding (I think it was like 17 times in 5 days or something, but I could totally be wrong about that) and it was running so bad it was hard to stop it. Well, the Benedryl knocked him out, but he was so drowsy that when he woke up in the middle of the night with a bloody nose, he was so confused and didn't know what to do. He was so out of it and kept falling asleep as I plugged it for him.

Yes, I gave my daughter benadryl on our flight home from China, which turned out to be a 30 hr total trip. We had just adopted her and she was frightened and hysterical on every plane, bus, car or taxi. The doctor at the medical clinic suggested a bit of benadryl so we gave her some to relax her and lower her anxiety level.

I think that is a completely different situation and understandable. In fact since a Dr. recommended it could be considered medically necessary?

I'll admit to "yes" but not sure if "needed" or not. My older son gets melatonin at night occasionally, as per his psychiatrist. I suppose it is not really due to illness, but I do give it to him if he can't sleep. The article wasn't clear exactly what they meant though.

I also use chamomile or Rescue Remedy if a child is really upset and doesn't seem able to calm down with the usual measures.

I don't count that, because it is under the guidance of a Dr for an actual condition. Might not be an illness but is still a condition kwim.

I took the article to mean those that dope their kid up on cold or allergy meds to make them be compliant and/or knock them out

No. Our pediatrician knows he has to justify medicating our children to us, and he has chosen to do so exactly one time in the past 7 years.

I don't think we even own any kid medications. (we have, but I believe it has expired unopened and been tossed)

I never have but our pediatrician actually recommended Benedryl for ds for the flights when we thought we might be moving to China. DS has sensory issues especially with sounds and would be extremely distressed with the noise on a plane. Of course, they did recommend trying it first to make sure he wasn't one of those kids who get hyper on it.

I think it's absolutely insane and borderline child abuse to give your kid drugs when not prescribed or due to an illness. Too many kids are doped up these days from paranoid, over-zealous parents who find it necessary to control their children's behavior through drugs in any given situation, instead of taking the time to actually parent the child.

On a plane? Drug him! Loud? Drug him! Excitable? Drug him! Angry? Drug him! Happy? Drug him! Walking down a street? Drug him! Whatever happened to taking control as a parent instead of allowing drugs to do your job? The pharmaceutical companies are lining their pockets and feeding off paranoid, lazy parents and it really needs to stop.

This is just my opinion. :)

Edited by Alveraz

Ummmm.... I've dosed myself with either Benadryl or the generic version of Tylenol Simply Sleep (same ingredients!). During allergy season, I don't mind the sedating qualities of a Benadryl before bed, though it's usually breathing I'm concerned with.

Have I dosed one of my boys before? Yes. Once. And I'm not ashamed of it.

My older DS is our emotional barometer, and when things get stressfull, he literally bounces off the walls. They have the dents to prove it. The time I "drugged him", he hadn't slept in DAYS, which means neither had I. My teenage stepson, the cause of it all, was being such a complete @$$ and causing so much trouble that week that I nearly left my husband over it.

Nothing "natural" I tried on DS worked. A warm shower, a good snuggle with mommy, and a dose of Children's Benadryl was what finally got him to settle. I'm not exaggerating when I say that one dose probably saved my marriage. I was NOT thinking clearly and needed a good night's sleep, and one dose of something he gets fairly regularly anyway (at least during the summer, when he swells up terribly with even the smallest bug bite!) wasn't going to hurt him.

So yah, add me to the "done it" list. Luckily, I'm fairly fire resistant on this one.

ETA: I wouldn't do this regularly, or for anything other than a seriously desperate reason. I think doing it regularly is wrong.

Well, I occasionally give him Benadryl at bedtime, perhaps once or twice a month. This only happens when it is 2 - 3 am and he just can't fall asleep. He gets nervous when he has nights like that and I have to stay with him, so the Benadryl occasionally will tip him over into sleep and we can both rest. If it's the weekend and he is on a Melatonin break I will see if he falls asleep before 3am, if not I will give him a teaspoon or two.

Yup. Gave my youngest Benedryl on a plane ride once. He was 10 months and SCREAMED the last 20 minutes of the flight going and I didn't want a repeat on the ride home. It was nerve wracking for all of us and unfair to the other passengers. Other than that I am not big on drugs, especially the ones over prescribed for ear infections that can clear up on their own.

I have to laugh though because I lived next to a family that would drive through the night to go visit family every holiday and they would bring out the cough meds every time. That was before there were TV's in all the minivans.

Would I do it on a regular basis to get my kid quiet-heck no.

No. The only meds I have ever given my kids were fever reducers(only when their fever is higher than 101, or they are in pain), and antibiotics. I can't imagine giving my kids meds to make them sleep unless it was medically necessary. :001_huh:

I think this is where there may be a difference of opinions. ;) I consider unusual anxiety, stress, disturbance, and extreme fatigue as something that can be deemed medically necessary.

I've never done it. However, the visiting home nurse for my dad (when he was living with me) suggested it. One of my twins was pretty riled up that day, my dad wasn't doing well, life was hectic, and it had taken its toll on my younger two. Anyway, the nurse suggested some Benadryl or something. I didn't even think she was being that awful under the circumstances. I didn't follow up on the suggestion. I was rather shocked a health professional would recommend it but it's probably more common than I think.

I think another thing that is difficult is they grouped giving benadryl for a flight with medicating so the parent could catch a break on a regular night. Those are two very different things in my book. I would never give a child a mind/body affecting substance, just to make it easier on me!

Obviously, I would if it will be beneficial to them.

I think this is where there may be a difference of opinions. ;) I consider unusual anxiety, stress, disturbance, and extreme fatigue as something that can be deemed medically necessary.

Too many of you are confusing symptoms (stress, fatigue, sleeplessness) with actual illnesses. If your kid is not sleeping, don't drug him. Take him to the doctor to find out if there's a physical problem. Not sleeping is SYMPTOM of something else wrong. If not physical, try a psychologist or other natural therapies before shoving drugs down his throat. Humans sleep by nature, it's part of survival. Not sleeping isn't a medical illness, it's a symptom of a variety of things.

Again, just my opinion. :)

I voted other, because I have never given meds to my children to control their behavior or sleep...however, I do have a serious issue with snot! During the winter, my kids had regular doses of Dimetapp to keep their noses dry.

Some people thought I was being over the top...but I just could not handle snot everywhere.

We have foster sons right now, and we are very limited on what we are allowed to give them...Dimetapp is not on the approved list--so we don't, but boy if they were mine LOL!

I must be living under a rock because this whole concept boggles my mind.

Are people out of their minds?

Let's have a homebirth with no drugs but think nothing of drugging our kids. Let's throw in a spanking and call it a night.:confused:

Totally. I'm blown away by this thread and how many folks drug their kids with zero credible reason other than symptoms of something they are either choosing to ignore or don't wish to work on through parenting or professional help.

Drugs are easy, so why bother? :glare:

Too many of you are confusing symptoms (stress, fatigue, sleeplessness) with actual illnesses. If your kid is not sleeping, don't drug him. Take him to the doctor to find out if there's a physical problem. Not sleeping is SYMPTOM of something else wrong. If not physical, try a psychologist or other natural therapies before shoving drugs down his throat. Humans sleep by nature, it's part of survival. Not sleeping isn't a medical illness, it's a symptom of a variety of things.

Again, just my opinion. :)

I have already done that about 10x over, and continue to do so. This is a stress anxiety issue (hereditary). We do many things that are not drug related to combat it. Please do not assume this is the only thing I rely on.

I think it is very sad that you are making certain assumptions.