Menu

A home library to drool over...

Beautiful! Surely one of those bookcases opens to a secret reading room somewhere. :001_smile:

now this *is* in the plans for us to do in the next few months. We have an alcove in our hall way that will have a bookshelf across it - including a door into my storage cupboard.

Ok so I've seen this Ikea hackers site...

Does anyone know if there's something along the lines of "d@*^ you Ikea" where folks post about a simple trip to Ikea turning into a huge renovation??

Because about a month ago hubs took me to Ikea to get bookshelves for our living room, to flank the fireplace. Well..the ones we wanted didn't quite fit. He says "Oh I can just....."

And next thing you know we've painted the fireplace, built a surround, installed wood floor in half the house....and installed new Ikea bookshelves. :p

I love that room!

A word of caution though: if you completely fill shelves on the standard-width Billy with hardbacks or other heavy books, they will start to sag after a year or so. (I am looking at one right now, sigh.) So, spread your heavy things out!

When we (literal we) built our house, the plans we used included a formal dining room. Who needs that? I seized the opportunity to claim it as a library, built-in bookshelves and all. I :001_wub: my library. It only took a few years before the books began spilling out into the living room, dining room, and hallways again....I dare not complain to dh.

That's awesome.

But can you imagine assembling all of those bookcases?

Once you assemble a few it really takes no time since you no longer need to read the plans. You know, not that I have any experience with this smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

My parents don't have quite that many, but they do have double layers of the extra shelves.

Once you assemble a few it really takes no time since you no longer need to read the plans. You know, not that I have any experience with this smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

My parents don't have quite that many, but they do have double layers of the extra shelves.

Oh, we're also covered in Billy bookcases here -- I think we have about 15? DH is a total pro at assembling them by now, but it still takes about 15 minutes per bookcase, not including anchoring to the wall. 60 bookcases would take FIFTEEN HOURS of assembly alone!

That makes me feel much better about adding one more bookcase. :001_smile:

I agree! This makes my puny addition of one more a little...well...puny! BTW...I love your 'name'. As a mom to a 9, 6, 4, 2, 15 month and 15 month w/ a newborn on the way....kids happen here too!

I'm trying to figure out what some of the bookcases they used were. I can pick out the standard 79" bookcases, but on top of them are not the standard height extensions. (can you use an extension on an extension?) did they use the short ones and cut off the toekick? they also have some of the narrower ones. and what about above the doors?

Love the daybed . . . .

(my daughter just bought a set of three bookcases and extensions. I have six in my basement "library" and would like to add more.)

Update- as I look at it, it looks like they upended the short ones and used them upside down as height extensions - then there is "molding" in front to hide the toe kick.

Edited by gardenmom5

I love that room!

A word of caution though: if you completely fill shelves on the standard-width Billy with hardbacks or other heavy books, they will start to sag after a year or so. (I am looking at one right now, sigh.) So, spread your heavy things out!

The Target bookcases do the same thing. :glare:

I bought solid wood bookshelves from Sam's. These are twice as wide as a Billy (48")solid and sturdy. I have many atlases, encyclopedias, large coffee table books and textbooks and they haven't caused any sagging in the many years I have owned them. They were originally $150 each. I have seven sets and am contemplating one more. I just priced them at Sam's today and they are $200.