Menu

Praise Moves?

My daughter's psychologist suggested she try yoga. I told him we are Catholic and won't do yoga. He said there is something new, similar to yoga, but with Christian prayers, called Praise Moves. Is anybody familiar with this? What kind of prayers are they doing? If you are Catholic, what did you think about it fitting in with our faith?

Thanks so much!

I've sort of come to the conclusion that it's more a matter of the person's thoughts than the position of the body. I lay in bed at night, and have for years, in a position that relieves the pain in my back. I just recently found out that is a yoga position. Should I stop laying in that position now that I know it's yoga? Have I been doing something evil all these years? I think the yoga moves, for the most part, are fine, it's all the stuff that 'they' (whoever THEY are) did along with the body positions that go against the Christian beliefs.

jmho :D

I was interested in your original question...I was a bit confused as to why yoga would be an issue at all. I talked to dh and he explained a bit about the roots of yoga, etc.

I will say that I have some dvds that don't have any offensive

content...they are just yoga moves (ie, physical stuff), nothing mental. Perhaps you could watch some dvds from your library to see if any would work for you?

Ria

As a very conservative Christian, I believe that Yoga with meditating on God's Word, sounds ideal. I think that TaiChi (know I must have misspelled that) would be ok, too. My mom's Naturopath suggested it for balance; she suggests it for cancer patients... and older people. Think about the Scriptures that talk about "meditating on God's Word." ;)

I actually have the dvd for Praise Moves :001_smile:. It's called the "Christian Alternative to Yoga". I heard Laurette Willis, who developed the program, at a ladies retreat several years ago. She was wonderful. I got the dvd thinking I'd enjoy doing it, but I never did it:tongue_smilie:. I actually just got it out of my ebay box to look.

Basically, each pose is called something like The Reed, The Angel, etc. They look like yoga poses, but they have a verse associated with it. It even has the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm done with poses. It comes with a comb-bound book that shows the movements and describes them. The dvd has a 60 min. and a 20 min. workout on it.

If you're not lazy like me, it would probably be great.

If you are interested, I have a like new dvd with book you can buy :tongue_smilie:.

Gayle

The problem is that most of the people who claim that Yoga is somehow satanic or whatnot have absolutely no understanding of the meaning of the word. Yoga in the religious, Eastern sense, is a much broader thing. A whole spiritual philosophy.

Basically, one subset of yoga, known as Hatha yoga, utilizes physical postures. We, as westerners, have basically taken these, stripped any kind of spiritual significance from them, and use them to work out. The way most Americans do them, they have about as much Eastern spirituality as a brick. Honestly, you'd be fine with regular old yoga

Have I told you lately that I love you??? It is true as soon as anything of cultural value comes to these shores it is made devoid of any meaning for a number of reasons, the primary one being for example, Hinduism is not polytheistic. It is far more subtle than that. If Hinduism is polytheistic then so is Christianity if one holds to a tripartite God as in Holy Spirit, Jesus and God.

Thank you for the info.

I am not trying to start a debate about yoga. I just want some info about Praise Moves, specifically. I will not do yoga because it is too difficult to figure out which teachers are not doing any kind of new age stuff, meditations, or prayers in their class and I don't have the time or energy to research and interview each person. Also, I don't want to get my child involved in something called yoga, that would be exercise only, because as she gets older, she may continue with it and unknowingly get into a class that is more of the spiritual. As her parent, it is my job to bring her up in her Catholic faith and always guide here in that direction.

Also, have never heard anyone say yoga is satanic.

Thank you for the info.

I am not trying to start a debate about yoga. I just want some info about Praise Moves' date=' specifically. I will not do yoga because it is too difficult to figure out which teachers are not doing any kind of new age stuff, meditations, or prayers in their class and I don't have the time or energy to research and interview each person. Also, I don't want to get my child involved in something called yoga, that would be exercise only, because as she gets older, she may continue with it and unknowingly get into a class that is more of the spiritual. As her parent, it is my job to bring her up in her Catholic faith and always guide here in that direction.

Also, have never heard anyone say yoga is satanic.[/quote']

I would simply ask the teacher what is involved in the class. Again, I am pretty sure you will find that most are just exercise classes and possibly deep breathing. Why not meditate on your beliefs as well if you did encounter other beliefs? The jesuits also encouraged me to visit other churches and learn about other beliefs;)

In answer to your original question, I am not familiar with Praise MOves, but have a WholyFit DVD and really love it. Its a great workout and I know there are several levels/themes available. You get all the benefits of yoga (which I do, and enjoy) but also a nice devotional type experience as well. Check it out on Amazon. :)

Thank you for the info.

I am not trying to start a debate about yoga. I just want some info about Praise Moves' date=' specifically. I will not do yoga because it is too difficult to figure out which teachers are not doing any kind of new age stuff, meditations, or prayers in their class and I don't have the time or energy to research and interview each person. Also, I don't want to get my child involved in something called yoga, that would be exercise only, because as she gets older, she may continue with it and unknowingly get into a class that is more of the spiritual. As her parent, it is my job to bring her up in her Catholic faith and always guide here in that direction.

Also, have never heard anyone say yoga is satanic.[/quote']

I completely understand and agree with your position. If you have a Wii, the Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus have yoga positions that focus on posture/balance and breathing only, with nothing added. With the Wii Fit Plus, you can input the order of positions you want to do to customize a work out, and you can add strength training exercises as well.

Thank you for the info.

.[/quote']

I had the same concerns. My dd had private sessions last year with a teacher trained in providing therapeutic movement for children/adults with special needs. I noticed that the studio also offered some classes with Christian music. For my dd, just learning how to do the various poses was challenging enough...without trying to add any kind of spiritual dimension to it.

At home, we've used Yoga Pretzels which is a boxed set of large, colorful cards with a variety of poses organized around relaxation/breathing, balance, bending, twisting, etc. The poses have names with animals, etc. to appeal to kids. If a parent found anything objectionable it would be easy enough to just remove that card from the collection. (I bought this at Barnes and Noble and was able to use my educator discount card.)

I had the praise Moves DVD. I did it once. It wasn't the moves, IIRC it was because the instructor talked though most of the moves and then you did the move. It was in no way relaxing. It's been a few years so I don't remember if the DVD was broken into sections, but I never used it again.

If you want something to relax, I found this ballet conditioning DVD very relaxing, and I don't even do ballet.

My special needs son did yoga as part of his curriculum at his special needs school run by Sisters of St. Joseph - Order of St. Francis. If Catholic nuns can do yoga.....

PS we are Catholic, too.

I figure there is yoga and there is Yoga.

If the purpose of the suggestion is to increase relaxation in your daughter, why not have her try out a non-yoga physical activity. If the suggestion is for mental focus, same thought. Stretching. Swimming. Archery. Fencing relies on mental focus. Ice skating. . . . Biofeedback therapy could be another option for you.

Just thinking while typing . . .

Hi

I have this dvd and I am not sure if anyone answered your question. While you are doing a pose she does not say a prayer, she recites a bible verse. I do not see anything that would go against your Catholic faith. I do enjoy this dvd, her voice is relaxing and I have memorized quite a few verses. There is a aerobic warm up which I did not like, it was way too easy for me.

I do not do traditional yoga, so I can not compare it what that. I am not Catholic so if you want more info I can ask Dh, who was raised Catholic.

You can pm me if you have any more questions about PraiseMoves.

Sheri

Yoga literally means "to yoke with God" in Sanskrit/Hinduism. It's roots are steeped in Hinduism in every which way.

Now anyone can take it, strip it, and add their own clothing to it, nevertheless it doesn't change it at it's core. But if it makes you feel better, go for it :).

Hi

I have this dvd and I am not sure if anyone answered your question. While you are doing a pose she does not say a prayer, she recites a bible verse. I do not see anything that would go against your Catholic faith. I do enjoy this dvd, her voice is relaxing and I have memorized quite a few verses. There is a aerobic warm up which I did not like, it was way too easy for me.

I do not do traditional yoga, so I can not compare it what that. I am not Catholic so if you want more info I can ask Dh, who was raised Catholic.

You can pm me if you have any more questions about PraiseMoves.

Sheri

Depends on the Bible version. Not that there are any anti-Catholic Bible versions, just some interpretation differences.

I've never used any of the Christian versions of yoga or tai chi. Tai chi is actually not a religion it is a martial art. It *can* be spiritual, but there isn't anything religious about it. In my limited experience yoga advertised as an exercise is just that. I do yoga, tai chi and Zen style meditation. There is nothing religious about any of them. But each to his own.

I'd actually like to evaluate one of the Christian versions of yoga programs. Sometimes Christian isn't especially for Catholic Christians.

I just wanted to say that I am a committed Christian and wouldn't do yoga if it involved Buddhist chants, or something along those lines! :) But our community ed offers yoga and I and my daughters have attended it and it was PURE exercise, nothing else. I would think that if you could find a yoga class through a community ed or YMCA, it would be exercise only, without any religious slant.

Another option for your daughter might be Pilates. Have you heard of that?

I've sort of come to the conclusion that it's more a matter of the person's thoughts than the position of the body. I lay in bed at night, and have for years, in a position that relieves the pain in my back. I just recently found out that is a yoga position. Should I stop laying in that position now that I know it's yoga? Have I been doing something evil all these years? I think the yoga moves, for the most part, are fine, it's all the stuff that 'they' (whoever THEY are) did along with the body positions that go against the Christian beliefs.

jmho :D

:iagree:

In answer to your original question, I am not familiar with Praise MOves, but have a WholyFit DVD and really love it. Its a great workout and I know there are several levels/themes available. You get all the benefits of yoga (which I do, and enjoy) but also a nice devotional type experience as well. Check it out on Amazon. :)

:iagree: I have three WholyFit DVDs, and I really love them. The moves are choreographed to Bible verses. The basic level DVD uses Galatians 5:22-23, Romans 12:1-2, and Galatians 2:19-20. I just looked those verses up in my Catholic study Bible (NAB), and there are not any differences in translation that would change the meaning. The DVD contains no interpretation of Scripture, just recitation and meditation. The workouts are very good, and I sleep very well on the days I do them, which is a big deal for a night owl insomniac like me. :)

Is it the creator of PraiseMoves who was a Christian yoga instructor until she went to India to study more about yoga and learned that each pose is a position of worship of specific hindu diety?

I agree with the previous posters who said that yoga cannot be separated from its religious/philosophical foundation. I've read comments from Hindus who know the religion and know yoga who have said the same thing.

As Roman Catholic, I won't do yoga. I didn't always feel strongly about the topic but with reading up on the subject and hearing both sides (including the view that it can be done as simply physical exercise), I can't justify the physical benefits in light of the potential spiritual risks.

There are a lot of Catholic people, priests, religious, and laity, who do, and promote, a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean it's kosher. We are all sinners. None of us have perfect knowledge of God.

My daughter's psychologist suggested she try yoga. I told him we are Catholic and won't do yoga. He said there is something new' date=' similar to yoga, but with Christian prayers, called Praise Moves. Is anybody familiar with this? What kind of prayers are they doing? If you are Catholic, what did you think about it fitting in with our faith?

Thanks so much![/quote']

there are many styles of yoga. Pilates has a similar effect. I'm a LDS, but I do understand your reservations. there was only one style I found objectionable, and that *really* *REALLY* bothered me. It was also the only one with "ooommming". During the one and only session, I substituted the Name of God or the Savior and focused on those during the "meditative" sections and that worked for me. I haven't gone back to it. (the other's that I rejected were more practical reasons - like our definitions of *beginner* were different. ;p)

Many styles have been westernized to be a variety of stretches, deep breathing, and isometric exercises without the stereotypical meditative "oomming". There are also many children's yoga dvd's for sensory kids that don't have any of the meditative stuff - just the stretches, isometics, and relaxation breathing. the only "imagining" i do during my favorite yoga DVD is standing under a gentle waterfall and having the water wash away the toxins in my body.

I did find it to be very calming and I can breath better. My favorite vinyasa flow DVD has many twisting postures squeezing toxins out of internal organs (I have liver problems) that have been very good for my health. (drink lots of water) Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center found that those who do yoga will automatically make improvements in their diet. Other forms of exercise - no matter how diligently practised - did not show the same results. (they may improve their diets, but it is a conscious choice)

Yoga literally means "to yoke with God" in Sanskrit/Hinduism. It's roots are steeped in Hinduism in every which way.

Now anyone can take it, strip it, and add their own clothing to it, nevertheless it doesn't change it at it's core. But if it makes you feel better, go for it :).

Do you (or anyone who holds this type of view re the origins of things like yoga) watch any of the Olympic games when they're on tv? They were originally held in honour of Zeus..

My daughter's psychologist suggested she try yoga. I told him we are Catholic and won't do yoga.

Several previous posters have mentioned Pilates. I'm assuming that the OP's dd's psych suggested yoga for the quiet relaxation it can provide.

I've taken both yoga and Pilates, each from a number of different teachers/studios over the years. Yoga is generally slow and gentle and relaxing, often with quiet gentle music. Pilates is quite different.

The goal of Pilates is to strengthen the "core", thus there are lots of sit-up-like exercises (among other types). It's very "exercise-y". There is sometimes music, generally of the "exercise class" energetic type.

While this kind of exercise can be great in many ways, it is not the gentle, quiet, peaceful experience that yoga often is. So depending on why the yoga was suggested, Pilates may not be a suitable substitute.

FWIW, I've never noticed any religious component in either kind of class.

Edited by askPauline