Menu

XPost: Please name your three all-time favorite* homeschool currics (m)

74Heaven

Hands down, my three favorite homeschool curriculums are:

Rainbow Science (beginningspublishing.com)

Shurley English

Latina Christiana - Memoria Press

These are the curricululms that have made my homeschooling more effective, more fun and *easier*. (a key benefit is ease of use in our busy household).

What are yours? And why:?

Lisaj, mom to 5: K-4,3,5,8,10

Ambleside Online

Math U See

maybe FLL3

I think I'm choosing based on my confidence in these curriculums as much as whether they are terribly convenient or not. As far as confidence goes, I would have to add SWR to that list, although it has been a struggle deciding how to implement it - I have a lot of confidence in it, but it's definitely NOT convenient, fun, or easier! LOL!

Tapestry of Grace

Homeschool in the Woods Time Traveler CD's

Explode the Code

Now ask me what my favorite homeschool books are. I had a hard time answering this question because it is the method in which I use my curriculum, not so much the curriculum that makes me love it.

Michelle

Tapestry of Grace

Why? It allows me to be me and still provides everything I want for my children. That's the short answer.

Explorer's Bible Study

Non-denominational, age appropriate, and includes all the elements I desire from a K-Adult program without fluff.

Margot Davidson's updated versions of Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons (see samples at hillsideeducation.com)

Provides just enough freedom and instruction for me while using beautiful techniques to teach concepts. This is one of the products that helped me put more heart into our studies.

Phonics Pathways...easy to implement, solid, laid the foundation for 3 of my kiddos to be great readers (#4 is now working through it)

SOTW w/ AG...FUN, easy to implement, great activities and literature recs.

Classical Writing...systematic & comprehensive, it challenges my children

I have to choose 3? Just 3? Okay, so far (and this will probably change as we test out new curriculum next year!):

GWG (turned grammar from a struggle to a joy for ds10)

LLATL (simply a great all-in-one LA program...perfect for those times when a "lighter" schedule is necessary or any other time as well!)

MOH (my favorite...not dc's...they are not big History fans yet!)

Those that I am excited to use for next year and have high hopes for:

WT (the one I'm most excited about!)

MFW (love the K curriculum, looking forward to ECC)

PLL (thanks, Jessica for all your reviews...we have the "old" version, not Margot's but I'm hoping it will do for us what it has for you!)

I'd have to say that my kids have really loved/repsonded to:

LLATL-Blue

Horizons Math

R&S ABC preschool books

We've used a couple of other things, but these have been stand out winners for us in terms of being easy for me and the kids to work through, and effective.

R&S English--Got my kids really understanding grammar, LOVE the Teacher Books!

SOTW--Especially the Ancient. LOVED the AG and was able to branch out with other things as well to make it a WONDERFUL History curriculum!

Christian Kids Explore Chemistry--For my dd....it got her so interested in Chemistry that she wants to do science every day and wants to be a Chemist, and wants me to get more and more Chemistry stuff!

Oh, most looking forward to, I wanna do that too! :D Things I'm trying for the first time and have high hopes for:

NOEO Chemistry and Rainbow Chemistry for DD

Life of Fred to get the Algebra in ds's head

Lightning Lit for both

MUS~Made Math "click" for my dd, who didn't get it at all...and the rest love it too!

SOTW~Adore History here, and this keeps it to the "good" stuff, and I can add in the "fluff" when we like! Even my 13yo LOVES to listen to me read this aloud...just for fun, in her case!

CLE Language Arts~This is a recent addition, but it is going so well. Love, love the workbook format. So much easier for the kids to track progress. Tidy and to the point!

We've tried lots of other things that others listed, for better or worse, but these are the best! More concrete over the long haul...and complete programs the I can rely on for the entire journey for which they are intended.

R&S English. Completely thorough, great amount of writing for our uses through elementary, excellent TMs. Love it.

MUS. My little kids think they're playing with blocks, and my oldest is thoroughly convinced that he's a math whiz. What's more, he finally understands multiple digit multiplication. ;)

Mystery of History. Just the right length for lessons, is excellent about including Biblical history, and even has a Christian worldview for the "rest" of the lessons. I love it.

Those I'm most looking forward to:

Winter Promise history for the middle grades. Literature rich and hands-on. Exactly what I was trying to create myself.

Christian Kids Explore sciences. Not too teacher intensive, thorough, and the price is right.

Little Hands to Heaven and the rest of the HOD books for the littles. I'd love to be able to afford MFW, but can't, and this looks fantastic for the price.

Just three??? *sigh*

CLE Math - we've tried almost everything out there and this is our far and away favorite

Ambleside Online - rich, broad, practical

TruthQuest History - the living books she has organized make history so laid-back and enjoyable

Apologia Science (elementary and high school)

Growing with Grammar

Story of the World

Those three are the top winners for making our homeschooling go smoothly and run easily. But my #1 all-time favorite of anything is BJU Math. Anything that makes that subject cease to be a problem forevermore deserves an A+ in my book. (OK, so the BJU Math perfection only lasted through Algebra - still, that's a pretty good run!)

Writing Tales will probably make the thumbs up list for me soon - I'm about to order it. :D