Menu

Young Earth or Old Earth Poll

How old do you think the Earth is?  

1. 1. How old do you think the Earth is?

• About 6,000 years old
    • About 4.5 billion years old

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although in a recent thread, I classed myself as "Old Earth", in reality I do not have an opinion because I do not think the question matters. I am a staunch Eastern Orthodox Christian, who understands that everything was created by God, that people are "special creation" (thus are not animals), and that the claims of macro-evolution are false. How long it took Him to create the universe is, frankly, irrelevant to, and vastly less important to my soul, than my hope of salvation being granted at the end of my life.

The Church teaches that Adam named the animals (species, not pet names), before the expulsion from Paradise. So they [animals] existed. Thought I would add that, in case anyone found it interesting about our faith. I realize that this is not part of the worldview for Protestant Christian groups; I don't know what Catholics teach regarding the point.

Edited by Orthodox6

I'm an Episcopalian. While I don't personally know, I trust scientists who do know how to measure these things that the earth is around 4.5 billion years old. I don't think there's any possible way the earth is less than 10,000 years old, though.

As an Orthodox Christian, I believe that we are created in the image and likeness of a loving God. As a somewhat scientifically minded person with a degree in Biology, I know that we are also the product of millions of years of evolution. The two are not in conflict, as far as I'm concerned, though many people on both "sides" seem to feel otherwise.

Other options I would have added:

Undecided but think it's an important issue

Undecided, and consider it unimportant either way

Leaning YE, but not 100% convinced either way and think it's important

Leaning OE but not 100% convinced either way and think it's important

Leaning YE, but not 100% convinced either way and think it's not important

Leaning OE but not 100% convinced either way and think it's not important

YE and consider it unimportant either way

OE and consider it unimportant either way

other (No matter how many options you give there are going to be people who fit into the "other" category.)

I'm Independent Baptist living in the suburbs surrounding PHX and in the "undecided and consider it unimportant either way" because it's not relevant to salvation. I think the rabid debating going on is a distraction from the simplicity and weight of the gospel.

This is the first poll I have ever made. I thought that meant that WTM people could see it. Does that mean anyone can see it? If so, I apologize.

A public poll means we can all see who voted what--no anonymity. A private poll is anonymous. Anyone on the Internet can see it either way.

As an Orthodox Christian, I believe that we are created in the image and likeness of a loving God. As a somewhat scientifically minded person with a degree in Biology, I know that we are also the product of millions of years of evolution. The two are not in conflict, as far as I'm concerned, though many people on both "sides" seem to feel otherwise.

This is very well-put. I like it.

A public poll means we can all see who voted what--no anonymity. A private poll is anonymous. Anyone on the Internet can see it either way.

Are there people who have an opinion on this but want to keep it secret? That wouldn't have occurred to me either. I'm not criticizing or anything, it just never crossed my mind - it seems most people who have a definite opinion on this are pretty vocal about it, but maybe we just know their opinion because they're vocal about it.

Guest momk2000

I am Protestant. Since our family leans toward Old Earth, that is what we teach. I do admit, since we were not there when God spoke, we don't know for sure; and therefore respect all viewpoints on the issue. :)

Edited by momk2000

Are there people who have an opinion on this but want to keep it secret? That wouldn't have occurred to me either. I'm not criticizing or anything, it just never crossed my mind - it seems most people who have a definite opinion on this are pretty vocal about it, but maybe we just know their opinion because they're vocal about it.

I have no idea, really. I don't care either way. I have my belief, I don't debate it, I don't mind sharing it, whatever. But I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't answer any kind of public poll because they wouldn't discuss their belief publicly, but who might have answered anonymously. Either way, it's not exactly a precise polling system, just fodder for thought and maybe some discussion. Some people don't answer polls at all!

Ditto for every other poll on here. Yet most are private. So I asked.

I don't think it matters. The controversy is an example of us mere humans getting caught up in the details and completely missing the bigger picture. God created the earth for us, he sent His Son to die for us so that we may be redeemed and have everlasting life with God, as he created us to do.

Different interpretations just serve to allow a greater number of people to come to God. I don't think God care whether we believe ye or oe.

FWIW, I'm Lutheran, but I don't think this is Lutheran theology.

I always find it funny that humans think they know what God did or when it did it.

Reason for demanding a third option.

Now, ask me if I believe in micro-evolution and then if I believe in macro-evolution, I would have answers for you. But the two arguments aren't necessarily combined.

Although in a recent thread, I classed myself as "Old Earth", in reality I do not have an opinion because I do not think the question matters. I am a staunch Eastern Orthodox Christian, who understands that everything was created by God, that people are "special creation" (thus are not animals), and that the claims of macro-evolution are false. How long it took Him to create the universe is, frankly, irrelevant to, and vastly less important to my soul, than my hope of salvation being granted at the end of my life.

The Church teaches that Adam named the animals (species, not pet names), before the expulsion from Paradise. So they [animals] existed. Thought I would add that, in case anyone found it interesting about our faith. I realize that this is not part of the worldview for Protestant Christian groups; I don't know what Catholics teach regarding the point.

Au contraire mon cheri. :001_smile: I am in complete agreement with your statement, except I am a Protestant...albeit a rather dissatisfied one.

Exactly! From my understanding, the Earth was created before "time" was, so it matters not.

Au contraire mon cheri. :001_smile: I am in complete agreement with your statement, except I am a Protestant...albeit a rather dissatisfied one.

I agree with the above.

And, I think the reason may protestant churches choose this as a hill to fight over is that it relates to the view of scripture. Is it right or is it not? Are the six days literal days? What does the bible say about days? (These are rhetorical questions--not asking for answers or debate!)

But, while I believe in the literal six days and I believe God could certainly have created the world as it's outlined in Genesis, I'll concede that I could be wrong and I'll also go that as far as my salvation goes, it's irrelevant. I think there are parts of the bible that are literal and parts that aren't. I do believe Genesis is a literal account of creation, but it's not a hill I will die on with anyone. There's no scripture in the NT that says, "Believe and be saved, and, oh, BTW, if you don't believe in YE, you're darned to heck."

I believe that God created the universe and that the best scientific evidence appears to support an age in the billions of years. However, I am open to the idea of God creating an "old" universe more recently. God exists outside the human conception of time and Scripture says in 2 Peter 3:8 that to God a thousand years are like one day and one day like a thousand years. So I really don't get all the theological controversy of OE vs. YE. There could be a "gap". The "days" of Creation could represent some time frame other than 144 modern hours.

In-fighting about the specific details IMHO distracts Christians from the bigger problem of atheistic materialists claiming that "it's all just random" and denying the role of God.

I love the way you put this. I truly believe that 7 days as mentioned in the Bible does not necessarily mean a week as in modern times. The Biblical account actually does state that everything happened in the right order (according to science).

I believe that God created the universe and that the best scientific evidence appears to support an age in the billions of years. However, I am open to the idea of God creating an "old" universe more recently. God exists outside the human conception of time and Scripture says in 2 Peter 3:8 that to God a thousand years are like one day and one day like a thousand years. So I really don't get all the theological controversy of OE vs. YE. There could be a "gap". The "days" of Creation could represent some time frame other than 144 modern hours.

In-fighting about the specific details IMHO distracts Christians from the bigger problem of atheistic materialists claiming that "it's all just random" and denying the role of God.

Agreeing with the bolded. I'm YE, but I have no problem with the possibility that God created the earth and made it appear older. After all I believe he did just that with Adam and Eve. I don't believe he created the first humans as infants, but rather as full grown adults. It is just as possible that he created the earth with the appearance of age. I have no clue. I know quite a few who lean that way. I tend to take the Bible at what it says, "evening and morning" seem clear enough to me.

I'm very much opposed to the idea of evolution (macro- that is) and because I do believe the earth to be younger (thousands) versus older (millions/billions), I consider myself YE.

I'm a Reformed Protestant Christian who attends a nondenominational church for those wanting to know. My pastor recently preached on Genesis and I like how he put it. He said...

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

If we are going to take a stand somewhere, let it be there.

:lol:

Edited by Daisy

Other: I don't know how old the earth is, and it doesn't matter to me. I just know God did it. :)

:iagree: This is me. I was taught old earth growing up. I've heard some of the reasons for why I should believe in young earth. I don't know which is right. I haven't researched it alot because it just isn't that important to me as an issue.

Other: I don't know how old the earth is, and it doesn't matter to me. I just know God did it. :)

:iagree:

Amen, sister.

I was raised American Baptist and currently attend a nominally Southern Baptist somewhat evangelical church. However, I don't recall ever being taught one definitive answer to the question. I'm inclined to believe old earth but I could be wrong.

Pam

Being that there is no credible evidence to support a 6000 year old earth, and scads of credible evidence to prove a 4.5 billion year old earth, I voted "Old Earth." I am non-deist.

Here, here. Parts of creation preceded the creation of time.

I have a strong dislike for the teaching that the Earth is Young but God messed with the fossils to test our faith. Those are capricious and dishonest acts, and God is neither capricious or dishonest. These things have no part in love.

I never heard of the "God messed with the fossils to test our faith" out of YE theory. I heard they exist due to a castastrophic event (aka the flood).

Beats me. I've enough on my plate as it is. God is much better at this stuff than me, so I just leave it up to Holy Mystery.

I think he could have done it in 6 days, but I don't read Genesis that way.

One day we'll all know, and I hate to think of all the energy we wasted on it, and all the enmity it caused.