Menu

Young Earth or Old Earth Poll

How old do you think the Earth is?  

1. 1. How old do you think the Earth is?

• About 6,000 years old
    • About 4.5 billion years old

But Islam is an Abrahamic religion, so I'm not sure where to go with that one.

I guess I was thinking of religions outside of Abrahamic religions.

And by debate, I don't mean people standing at opposite podiums, I mean firmly held premises and conclusions (eg: convictions) that are in opposition to other premises and conclusions (eg: convictions).

We're not talking about the formal rules of debate here.

asta

Even in Judaism and Islam it's really not an issue to the degree it's become in Christianity.

I tend to think it's political. Modern creationism has it's roots in a reaction against textual criticism of the Bible and compassionate concerns for people but it's really morphed into a political force. I sort of think it's a way for Christianity, which was the closest thing the US had to an institutional religion (and you can't ignore the US in discussions about creationism. It simply doesn't exist in the same way outside US borders) to gain entry back into the state through schools and maybe even for some very conservative forces, to force science out of the role of a tool by which to make and measure decisions so that those decisions can be driven more by their agenda.

I don't think that's why most grassroots creationists believe it though.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tina - I listened to a TTC course a couple of years back that might interest you. I think it was the History of Science one. It's excellent. I don't mean it would bring you over to my way of thinking but that it's a wonderful tour through science and touches a lot on how interconnected it and religion have been. It even addresses the evolution/creation issue but not from a debate perspective but from the perspective of what was behind the puch for creationism and push back on evolution initially. It's a tremendously respectful look at both that had me looking at creationism in a new light. It didn't change my mind on it of course but it opened my eyes to the fact that creationism is not a boogeyman and it was very often an appeal to compassion for fellow humans.

Again, I don't think it would change your mind but I think you'd probably find it engaging and interesting. I'd be interested in what someone from the "other side" got from it.

Okay, I'll see if the library has it and when I have some spare time, i'll check it out. :)

Where is the option for other??? I would have picked that one...as in I am not sure....but I do believe God in his infinite wisdom created the earth. How ...with a Word...time wise, well, both sides have reasonable arguments that can go around, and around, and around....I don't think it is an issue of salvation, but an interesting issue to ponder.

Faithe

Even in Judaism and Islam it's really not an issue to the degree it's become in Christianity.

I tend to think it's political. Modern creationism has it's roots in a reaction against textual criticism of the Bible and compassionate concerns for people but it's really morphed into a political force. I sort of think it's a way for Christianity, which was the closest thing the US had to an institutional religion (and you can't ignore the US in discussions about creationism. It simply doesn't exist in the same way outside US borders) to gain entry back into the state through schools and maybe even for some very conservative forces, to force science out of the role of a tool by which to make and measure decisions so that those decisions can be driven more by their agenda. ....

I totally agree with your reading of the situation.

Very conservative Christian who interprets the bible literally. I used to be a "Young Earther", believing the earth was 6,000 years old.

I'm now an Old Earther who believes the bible points to a gap (the Ruin-Reconstruction Theory) of time between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. The 6 days I believe to be literal "evening and morning" days.