Menu

If you were moving out of a rental, would you pull out the plants you put in?

I'm thinking ferns, lavender, roses.. I would want to take those with me.

I've got plants in pots that need to be transplanted, but I'm not sure if I'll get a weird response from the caretaker when we eventually move. Especially because they might be showing the house to sell. Do you think that's going to create a problem when they realize all the pretty stuff is gone? Am I worrying too much? :001_smile:

If the plants are still in pots, then sure. I wouldn't take them if I had already planted them. In my experience with planting lavender, it ended up being huge and I had to divide it anyway. I think you can take some cuttings from rose bushes but I've never done it. Not sure about ferns.

I think that if you put the plants in at your own expense, you're entitled to take them--as long as you leave the yard as you found it when you started your lease. In other words, don't leave unsightly holes or dirt scattered where it shouldn't be.

I think that if you put the plants in at your own expense, you're entitled to take them--as long as you leave the yard as you found it when you started your lease. In other words, don't leave unsightly holes or dirt scattered where it shouldn't be.

Agree. And I would make sure it's known that the plants belong to me.

I've lived in many, many rentals. I never dig up the plants I put in, nor any other type of improvements like that. I figure I got my moneys worth out of it while I lived there. Our current landlord will be getting faux wood blinds, a 4x10 foot paver patio and a few garden boxes when we leave, oh and 3 storm/screen doors.

Dh and I view it as "if we're not prepared to leave it behind, don't put it up, install it, etc."

I've lived in many, many rentals. I never dig up the plants I put in, nor any other type of improvements like that. I figure I got my moneys worth out of it while I lived there. Our current landlord will be getting faux wood blinds, a 4x10 foot paver patio and a few garden boxes when we leave, oh and 3 storm/screen doors.

Dh and I view it as "if we're not prepared to leave it behind, don't put it up, install it, etc."

Same here.

I'd think it's be easier to buy new, smaller ones to bring home to the new house, than try and move the old ones. Plus once you put them in the ground they'll probably have growth spurt anyway and get even bigger.

If you really want to take them, I'd get new bigger pots and re-pot them for now instead of planting them.

But yes, I'd think that was really weird. Taking cuttings/starts, no problem, but to dig the whole thing up and take it with, yeah, odd.

I would and it is fairly common. Plants and such can be expensive and I don't feel an inclination to invest in someone else's property for free.

We got tired of the landlord never updating/fixing anything. So we would take the 1960s light fixtures down or other simple to update type things and put in something nicer. We had pictures of what was there when we moved in and receipts of our purchases. We told the landlord when we did it that we had the old items packed in the garage and would be replacing them when we moved.

The previous renters in one rental had planted a HUGE hydrangea plant that was just gorgeous. They dug it up and left grass. IDK why. And I probably wouldn't have noticed the loss except I happen to like hydrangeas.

Oh wait. We had purchased a storm door for the door going to the backyard. I wanted to be able to open the door and let in fresh air or hear the toddlers playing, but not let in the bugs, kwim? The landlord was really ticked when we took the door with us. Well it was $250 and it just so happened the house we purchased needed one on the garage exit door.

Personally, we lived in that rental for almost 6 years and left it in WAY better condition than when we moved in, so we felt she didn't have anything to complain about except that she didn't get free updates to her rental.:D

I reread. I was thinking mostly potted, just a few things in the ground. We have done that before when what we added was a very small amount in comparison to what was already there and remaining. For example, a rosebush and another heirloom plant from my grandparents.

If it's very much...no.

Same here.

Maybe it's a military thing. I know for us is started with the fact that we move so much and usually don't have lots of time to find a place so most of the stuff we would have taken with us wouldn't have fit in the new place correctly anyway.

The ones still in pots are mostly plants my mom gave me or ones I've had for years. Some of them need to go to bigger pots, and it got me wondering..

I promise, we don't pillage when we move out of houses. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by helena

I think it is a military thing. We always made the improvements/plantings we wanted to make our time there more pleasant. And assumed they wouldn't work in the next place (or the Army wouldn't move them.) The first renters we had were Coast Guard and they had the same philosophy.

Every renter we've had since then has refused to even plant annuals or weed the garden because it wasn't theirs. :confused:

Back to the OP, it depends on the agreement you had with the landlord when you planted them.

I cant see any reason why you couldn't if, as others have said, you left the place in as good a condition as you found it. Perhaps it would be a courtesy to the landlord, to let them know you will be taking some of your precious plants so they don't try to rent it as it is, before you take them.

However, I wouldn't personally take plants like that. We rent and I have made 2 vegetable gardens which I will leave (probably - I guess I might take the limestone bricks that border the gardens, but I doubt it). I simply don't plant plants in the garden- I use pots. I have a great herb collection, in large pots. We have a tropical plant collection at the front- in pots. WE have a beuatiful fish pond- in a ceramic pot. I guess I just learned to do vegies in the ground and everything else in pots because of our long term renting situation.

I also think...it is nice to leave a place better than when you arrive there. I wouldn't be too stingy about it.

I don't think I'd go through the hassle. As some one else said-don't do it if you aren't willing to leave it.

If you want to take them I'd make sure that the yard looks presentable and not full of holes when you are done.

Another option would be to ask if the landlord would reimburse you for these improvements. That might fund new plants at your new place. They will probably say no but you might be able to arrive at a figure agreeable to both of you.

I've got plants in pots that need to be transplanted, but I'm not sure if I'll get a weird response from the caretaker when we eventually move. Especially because they might be showing the house to sell. Do you think that's going to create a problem when they realize all the pretty stuff is gone? Am I worrying too much? :001_smile:

I would not take anything with me that I had planted. I'd have put them in pots instead of planting them if I wanted to take them with me -- planting and then digging up is going to leave holes and ugly dirt, etc.

I did divide a clump of Shasta Daisies and Michaelmas Daisies from my other house and planted them around our rental. I will not pull them out when we leave. They are my contribution to the landscape. Whatever flowers/veggies I have in pots will go with me. :)

I would be rather aghast if anyone took their plants when they moved out of one of our rentals. Oh, it's easy to say, I'd put it back the way they left it, but unless they dug up the plants months beforehand, there was be a hole. Yeah, they might throw a piece of sod on top, but it wouldn't be rooted and would die. Leaving me an eyesore. The cost to repair the damage would be coming out of the damage deposit.

Not if the plants were planted in a flower bed, in which case she could just fill the holes with soil and spread fresh mulch. No big deal.

I would not dig up plants. Potted plants, sure, those would be going with me. It seems like a lot of effort to go through to dig up border plants to take with you. We are also military.

If the outdoor area is left the way it was when it was first rented, how could a landlord ever expect a renter to leave plants the renter paid for, planted, and tended?

It would be like leaving pretty curtains or area rugs that you bought for the inside of the house.

For me, it's a money issue. Renter's time and money for buying and caring for the plants. The landlord has no right to a renter's plants.

Edited by unsinkable

In Texas, at least, once you attach it to the property it is considered part of the real property and no longer personal property. Legally those plants now belong to the landlord. Improvements to real property by tenants generally become part of the property and remain at the end of a lease.

Now, whether the landlord will pursue reimbursement from your security deposit is another question. But, at least in Texas, it would be his right.

It would never cross my mind to dig up plants and take them with me.

In Texas, at least, once you attach it to the property it is considered part of the real property and no longer personal property. Legally those plants now belong to the landlord. Improvements to real property by tenants generally become part of the property and remain at the end of a lease.

Now, whether the landlord will pursue reimbursement from your security deposit is another question. But, at least in Texas, it would be his right.

Nice to know. If I ever move to TX, I'll not plant anything if I rent. :lol:

Given the hours I've seen DH care for our plants, it would never cross my mind to leave them. (We don't rent, but if we ever move, the roses are coming with us!)

Did you take out any plants in order to plant the ones there now? If so, you need to leave them. In fact, I agree with a couple other pp that to leave them would be gracious on your part.

If there are one or two very special plants, just take them and do your best to make the area still look good. Ie Could you then transplant a couple plants from another area so there are no bare spots?

In the end, I wouldn't leave it worse looking than when I arrived; I'd leave it better looking, whatever it takes.

I would and it is fairly common. Plants and such can be expensive and I don't feel an inclination to invest in someone else's property for free.EXACTLY

We got tired of the landlord never updating/fixing anything. So we would take the 1960s light fixtures down or other simple to update type things and put in something nicer. We had pictures of what was there when we moved in and receipts of our purchases. We told the landlord when we did it that we had the old items packed in the garage and would be replacing them when we moved.

The previous renters in one rental had planted a HUGE hydrangea plant that was just gorgeous. They dug it up and left grass. IDK why. And I probably wouldn't have noticed the loss except I happen to like hydrangeas.

Oh wait. We had purchased a storm door for the door going to the backyard. I wanted to be able to open the door and let in fresh air or hear the toddlers playing, but not let in the bugs, kwim? The landlord was really ticked when we took the door with us. I can't imagine another business transaction in which the purchaser would be expected to do something to benefit the seller.Well it was $250 and it just so happened the house we purchased needed one on the garage exit door.

Personally, we lived in that rental for almost 6 years and left it in WAY better condition than when we moved in, so we felt she didn't have anything to complain about except that she didn't get free updates to her rental.:D

:iagree:

I'm with you!

One of the strangest things I ever saw was two women from down the street in on base military housing coming to the newly vacant house next door with shovels at twilight to take the roses the previous tenant had planted and tended. I happened to be out and asked them what they were doing. They swore they would be right back over to clean up and fill in (must have forgotten the way back after they got home).

I thought it was especially tacky since one of them had moved into a unit with a huge row of impatience that had been carefully watered by the neighbors so they would survive the couple weeks of summer vacancy without dying.

And in the end, the roses didn't survive being moved.

:iagree: Without looking it up, I'd guess that plants in the ground would be fixtures or appurtenances, or simply part of the land. Look at your lease for these terms. Removing fixtures/appurtenances would violate the terms of a typical lease agreement.

As a practical matter, it's hard to imagine that it would be worth the trouble, considering the time/effort and potential damage to the plants in the process.

This adds another layer of complexity, if the plants are in the ground rather than in pots. Yes, I think it would cause an issue. In our (admittedly limited) experience, if something was permanently attached to a structure or (I would presume) the grounds---fixtures, doors, plantings--then it is presumed to convey with the property when sold. Things that aren't permanently attached---curtains, patio furniture, potted plants, etc--aren't assumed to convey. If they are selling the property and showing it while you are in there, whatever you plan to take with you that is permanently attached needs to be spelled out for the prospective buyer. I would certainly not expect that, once I had put a contract on a house, the person owning it would pull established plants out of the ground, remove ceiling fans, doors or fixtures, etc. It would no longer be exactly the property that I entered into a contract to buy. The landscaping can be a big selling point. Obviously, I would check with a realtor in your area to find out about laws that might impact this.

So, if you want to take up plants you purchased, I'd go ahead and stick them in pots *before* the person starts showing the house (and detach anything else you plan to take with you). If you want to plant them for a while, make sure you have a written agreement with the landlord about which plants will go with you and how it is to be handled, so they can't come back to you later claiming you didn't live up to an oral agreement.

So, if you want to take up plants you purchased, I'd go ahead and stick them in pots *before* the person starts showing the house (and detach anything else you plan to take with you). If you want to plant them for a while, make sure you have a written agreement with the landlord about which plants will go with you and how it is to be handled, so they can't come back to you later claiming you didn't live up to an oral agreement.

Thanks! This is the common sense I needed to hear. :001_smile:

There's only one plant in the ground I regret putting in. My mom brought over a rose bush and took over the situation :001_smile:, picked an area not in the flower bed and bam there it is. It's doing well (surprisingly) in that spot. I'll have to decide sooner than later about that one. I'll most likely leave it since it looks so happy where it's at. Another poster had a good point about it not being a big deal if it's in the flower bed.. I think that sounds right. Our lease is up in the fall (they'll show the house, if at all, starting in sep.) and the gardens will be waning anyways.

Up to now, I always take cuttings and harvested seeds with me when we move. I think I'll stick with that system (I might take one or two out).

I'm going to take pp advice and separate the lavender into two pots.

Who knows, maybe they'll continue to rent to us. Or, even better maybe we'll end up buying it! This house is a gardener's dream come true, especially for this area. I've happily put a lot of work into it, and I'll definitely continue.

Edited by helena

Not sure of the law here, but the rental agreements we have signed all stated something similar to this.