Menu

Dear Troll Hunters

Do you see the damage you have caused when people have to put disclaimers that they are not a troll on their sincere requests for prayer? Do you see the damage when people think twice about even posting here at all? This is lasting damage that I've never ever seen a troll do to people on this board - even JGEMom.

If you think there is a troll, you don't have to call them out publicly. Hit the red exclamation point on their post and tell the moderators. The moderators here are very intelligent. They will delete that person's account if there is any REAL proof of them being a troll. If you think the person is just over-the-top and a whiner, there is this function on the board called "ignore".

I am really upset. I'm not posting this to break any rules about being rude or bashing of other board members. I've tried to express my opinion in a straight forward but respectful way.

I've tried to express my opinion in a straight forward but respectful way.

:grouphug: Yes you have and I'm sure there are MANY of us who feel the same way. The problem is that trolls likely don't care about the feelings of others. And there are some who troll just to get an emotional reaction out of people. It's like a high for them. I've even heard some people say that people who get emotional through the internet deserve to be harrassed. One of the reasons I really like this board is that the moderator is paying attention. I don't care for free-for-all type message boards which are a breeding ground for trolls.

Hi Jean,

It's one reason that I know longer post about dd's paramedic experiences. I may post about something general, such as in the ambulance thread. But, though she has had some amazing experiences working with an EMS that services two level 1 trauma units, I will not post about them again as I've been accused of lying...apparently there are some who are not medical professionals who felt I was a troll because obviously these kinds of medical dramas only occur on t.v.

I'm not a troll, but having been accused of being one by ignorant individuals, I won't waste my time posting about her job/college/training again, though I am IMMENSELY proud of my kid and do like to talk about her.

Faith

Hi Jean,

It's one reason that I know longer post about dd's paramedic experiences. I may post about something general, such as in the ambulance thread. But, though she has had some amazing experiences working with an EMS that services two level 1 trauma units, I will not post about them again as I've been accused of lying...apparently there are some who are not medical professionals who felt I was a troll because obviously these kinds of medical dramas only occur on t.v.

I'm not a troll, but having been accused of being one by ignorant individuals, I won't waste my time posting about her job/college/training again, though I am IMMENSELY proud of my kid and do like to talk about her.

Faith

I'm so sorry to hear this, Faith. I've enjoyed reading about your dd's experiences! You have every reason to be very proud of her.

On the old board I posted about my SIL and her parenting - or lack there of, (emotional neglect of kids) and asked "What can I do for her children". I was quickly labelled a troll.

I wonder how many people have been called "troll" or something similar?

It's one reason that I know longer post about dd's paramedic experiences. ...I will not post about them again as I've been accused of lying...I won't waste my time posting about her job/college/training again, though I am IMMENSELY proud of my kid and do like to talk about her.

Oh, post anyway!!!! That's what these boards are for - we are HOMESCHOOLERS and we are supposed to brag about our kids here!!! Just ignore any accusations of lying or trolling (or report the posts/messages) - who cares - if you know you are not lying or trolling, then really, who cares? People who are familiar with your posts/posting style are going to rejoice with you. Post away about your daughter's experiences!

It's one reason that I know longer post about dd's paramedic experiences.

I love it when you post about your DD's experiences. Maybe you could start a PM list instead of posting. Personally, I wish you would post anyway.

I know what you mean, though. When the troll thread was going, a couple of people made remarks about how they didn't believe people who have a continual parade of crises ... and then post when an ambulance is on the way. Who does that fit exactly? Me!

Well, we have had a lot of medical problems in our family lately. Not everyone goes to the hospital, and we have a 20-30 minute wait for the ambulance, so plenty of time to post asking for prayers. Those prayers mean a lot to me and to the kids, especially.

DD and DS3 were at home this morning, waiting for news, and taking comfort from the prayers offered by all of you. DS1 went to the hospital, and DS2 was at school and doesn't know anything about this, thank heavens, because he would have freaked out.

Edited by RoughCollie

I love it when you post about your DD's experiences. Maybe you could start a PM list instead of posting. Personally, I wish you would post anyway.

I know what you mean, though. When the troll thread was going, a couple of people made remarks about how they didn't believe people who have a continual parade of crises ... and then post when an ambulance is on the way.

Well, we have had a lot of medical problems in our family lately. Not everyone goes to the hospital, and we have a 20-30 minute wait for the ambulance, so plenty of time to post asking for prayers. Those prayers mean a lot to me and to the kids, especially.

DD and DS3 were at home this morning, waiting for news, and taking comfort from the prayers offered by all of you. DS1 went to the hospital, and DS2 was at school and doesn't know anything about this, thank heavens, because he would have freaked out.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Jean - thank you for posting this. I wholeheartedly agree w/you.

Faith and RoughCollie - please continue to post about these things. We're here to support each other and learn from each other.

Troll hunters - if you can't be supportive of people, just let them be. Please.

Denise

Jean - thank you for posting this. I wholeheartedly agree w/you.

Faith and RoughCollie - please continue to post about these things. We're here to support each other and learn from each other.

Troll hunters - if you can't be supportive of people, just let them be. Please.

Denise

:iagree:

Maybe we could start heading threads "TC" (Troll Content) and then the hunters can agree to stand down. :p

A prayer request would look like this: "TC Prayers Please CC"

All bases covered :lol:

:grouphug:

Jean, you're too wonderful for words.

Do you see the damage you have caused when people have to put disclaimers that they are not a troll on their sincere requests for prayer? Do you see the damage when people think twice about even posting here at all? This is lasting damage that I've never ever seen a troll do to people on this board - even JGEMom.

If you think there is a troll, you don't have to call them out publicly. Hit the red exclamation point on their post and tell the moderators. The moderators here are very intelligent. They will delete that person's account if there is any REAL proof of them being a troll. If you think the person is just over-the-top and a whiner, there is this function on the board called "ignore".

I am really upset. I'm not posting this to break any rules about being rude or bashing of other board members. I've tried to express my opinion in a straight forward but respectful way.

I said something along those lines on a post last week. It just broke my heart that a genuine prayer request came with a caveat that she was not looking for attention and she could prove she belonged here.

Well said Jean.

To the bolded: I agree. That feature works very well for anyone whom you feel drains you emotionally or mentally. Frankly, there is nothing on this board that is worth that kind of stress.

Hi Jean,

Faith

I posted ONCE about not having heard of things that have happened to your DD happening here...and I included that I have close relatives that work in Level one trauma centers and are paramedics.

For example, you wrote on that thread that your DD ran a code in the hospital with floor nurses under her (taking direction from her.) That would NEVER happen where my relative works. A paramedic student is not a hospital employee so that student could not take responsibility for a patient within the hospital.

Another time, you mentioned your DD putting people in bodybags. In the 2 states my relatives work, paramedics cannot transport dead bodies. It is illegal.

I never accused you of being a troll or lying. I never made any comments about stuff on TV.

Am I myself a medical professional? No, but if you can relate stories from your relatives, (your DD) then why can't I do the same?

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Jean,

You took the words out of my mouth. I have popped in and out of here a few times today and have seen some very sweet ladies pouring their hearts out for different reasons, but they all prefaced their comments with, "I am not a troll". :crying:

It is horrible for someone who is in pain (physically or mentally) to feel that they cannot be trusted on a message board that they frequent.

I agree with using the ignore button or telling a moderator if things seem amiss. Other than that, let's stop speculating! :chillpill:

Hi Jean,

Faith

but you're not being fair to those of us who have asked you to continue to share. :sad:

Personally, if there was a troll asking for prayers I wouldn't care. I've got lots of prayers to go around. The Lord knows the truth. As far as money or donations go though, no. I've barely got enough of that for US to go around. So it really doesn't bother me either way. Never has.

I posted ONCE about not having heard of things that have happened to your DD happening here...and I included that I have close relatives that work in Level one trauma centers and are paramedics.

For example, you wrote on that thread that your DD ran a code in the hospital with floor nurses under her (taking direction from her.) That would NEVER happen where my relative works. A paramedic student is not a hospital employee so that student could not take responsibility for a patient within the hospital.

Another time, you mentioned your DD putting people in bodybags. In the 2 states my relatives work, paramedics cannot transport dead bodies. It is illegal.

I never accused you of being a troll or lying. I never made any comments about stuff on TV.

Am I myself a medical professional? No, but if you can relate stories from your relatives, (your DD) then why can't I do the same?

I used to be an EMT student and while I don't remember the stories you are referring to, I've never seen anything too odd about her DD's stories.

As a student, we had the opportunity to volunteer in a local ER. You had to do it once but you could do it as many times as you wanted. I did several. They sent me upstairs to watch a code once, and had me help out with all sorts of things that EMTs don't normally do. Why? Because they wanted me to learn the ropes and understand how things worked around me and my job. I even helped out with a minor surgery that took place in an ER room. Just me and the doc. It was cool. I was perfectly capable of handing her things. LOL She was teaching me how to do it all sterile manner. No, that is *not* normal EMT work. But I did it, and she asked me to. Another time a doctor walked up with an x-ray and asked me what I saw. It was a pencil lead in someone's arm, which didn't fit with the story they gave him. No, normally doctors don't care what an EMT sees in an x-ray. *sigh* I really miss those days. Unfortunately, ambulances make me puke my guts out because of how they sway, so I couldn't work in one. :(

A quick google search lead me to see that some states do not allow paramedics to transfer dead bodies. That means that some do. Also, helping to put a body in a body bag is not the same as transferring it.

As for giving directions to nurses? Well, Faith was not there. EMTs do have to rattle off information when they get to the hospital to the medical staff taking over care, so perhaps she misinterpreted something. If it was a really awful emergency I can imagine an EMT urgently asking a nurse to grab some piece of equipment or do something else because the EMTs have been providing care and may be in the middle of something serious and at the point of getting to the hospital they are the only people who know the whole situation. Of course, it's not normal to ask a nurse to do something at all, but I can see it happening.

She's a proud mama. And she is only relating stories second hand. Allow her some grace.

Edited by Sputterduck

To the bolded: I agree. That feature works very well for anyone whom you feel drains you emotionally or mentally. Frankly, there is nothing on this board that is worth that kind of stress.

Why? Because it is real live people behind the words that automatically appear on this message board. And some of these real live people have connections with the other real live people on this board. And they use this place as a support, not only in homeschooling, but in other aspects of their lives. These real live people have been hurt by people who have acted as bullies using suspicion and innuendo as their way of hurting others.

Sometimes people are too sensitive, that is true. And sometimes we need to pull on our big girl panties (and big boy briefs). But it is equally true that instead of apologizing, bullies often will accuse those who have been hurt of being sissies.

You did start one thread that was used by troll hunters as a place to hang their "trophies" for all to see. I said at the time that I thought that was unfortunate because I don't think that was your intention at all.

I used to be an EMT student and while I don't remember the stories you are referring to, I've never seen anything too odd about her DD's stories.

As a student, we had the opportunity to volunteer in a local ER. You had to do it once but you could do it as many times as you wanted. I did several. They sent me upstairs to watch a code once, and had me help out with all sorts of things that EMTs don't normally do. Why? Because they wanted me to learn the ropes and understand how things worked around me and my job. I even helped out with a minor surgery that took place in an ER room. Just me and the doc. It was cool. I was perfectly capable of handing her things. LOL She was teaching me how to do it all sterile manner. No, that is *not* normal EMT work. But I did it, and she asked me to. Another time a doctor walked up with an x-ray and asked me what I saw. It was a pencil lead in someone's arm, which didn't fit with the story they gave him. No, normally doctors don't care what an EMT sees in an x-ray. *sigh* I really miss those days. Unfortunately, ambulances make me puke my guts out because of how they sway, so I couldn't work in one. :(

A quick google search lead me to see that some states do not allow paramedics to transfer dead bodies. That means that some do. Also, helping to put a body in a body bag is not the same as transferring it.

As for giving directions to nurses? Well, Faith was not there. EMTs do have to rattle off information when they get to the hospital to the medical staff taking over care, so perhaps she misinterpreted something. If it was a really awful emergency I can imagine an EMT urgently asking a nurse to grab some piece of equipment or do something else because the EMTs have been providing care and may be in the middle of something serious and at the point of getting to the hospital they are the only people who know the whole situation. Of course, it's not normal to ask a nurse to do something at all, but I can see it happening.

She's a proud mama. And she is only relating stories second hand. Allow her some grace.

Where am I not allowing her grace? By saying stuff that like wouldn't happen here?

My point is that simply b/c I posted that things that she posted wouldn't happen here doesn't mean I am calling her a liar or a troll.

Where am I not allowing her grace? By saying stuff that like wouldn't happen here?

My point is that simply b/c I posted that things that she posted wouldn't happen here doesn't mean I am calling her a liar or a troll.

Ok. It sounded like it was more than just saying it wouldn't happen where you are. Just saying that is reasonable. That's just a statement of fact and not a judgement, right?

Ok. It sounded like it was more than just saying it wouldn't happen where you are. Just saying that is reasonable. That's just a statement of fact and not a judgement, right?

I actually wrote that I have relatives that work at a Level I trauma center and that are paramedics and that I had never heard stories like this.

I wish I knew how to quote from that other thread b/c I'd put it in here.

Edited by unsinkable

I actually wrote I had never heard stories like this.

You might have just been a victim of the climate of suspicion and innuendo, just as FaithManor has been a victim of that climate. In that sort of climate, your innocent comment could be seen as expressing suspicion even if you didn't mean it to do so.

Why? Because it is real live people behind the words that automatically appear on this message board. And some of these real live people have connections with the other real live people on this board. And they use this place as a support, not only in homeschooling, but in other aspects of their lives. These real live people have been hurt by people who have acted as bullies using suspicion and innuendo as their way of hurting others.

When I said there is nothing worth the stress, I meant that if it bothers you, use the ignore feature, or just ignore those threads. If someone is always giving me a headache -- I just stop listening and reading them. It's not worth it (to me) to keep diving into that kind of stress.

Sometimes people are too sensitive, that is true. And sometimes we need to pull on our big girl panties (and big boy briefs). But it is equally true that instead of apologizing, bullies often will accuse those who have been hurt of being sissies.

?? I'm really not sure what you're talking about there. I thought we were talking about trolling, not bullying. Cyber-bullying is a totally different animal.

You did start one thread that was used by troll hunters as a place to hang their "trophies" for all to see. I said at the time that I thought that was unfortunate because I don't think that was your intention at all.

Yes, I did start that thread because there was a lot of stuff flying around about trolling at the time and it makes me remember that awful old incident. I found an article. I shared it. There was no intention of starting a "let's out the trolls" thread. You know, though, that threads take on a life of their own and the OP has no control over that.

If I had wanted to start a "let's out the trolls" thread, I would have said it straight out. No BS. I doubt a thread like that would last long, though, and I doubt it would be a very productive exercise anyway. In the end, we'd all get pegged as trolls, probably. :rolleyes:

I openly admit that there are some people on here that I ignore because they give me headaches -- either they always post things that offend me, or they post things that I just can't buy no matter how hard I try. I might have them on the ignore feature, or it might be that I simply don't open any threads or read any posts made by them.

I've had my fill of that kind of carp. It's my perogative not to engage with people, if I choose not to do so. If people are so intent on troll hunting, I think it's best they do it privately and not bring the subject out on the board. This board has enough drama as it is, and I think we're grown up enough to rely on our own BS meters.

Edited by Audrey

Maybe we could start heading threads "TC" (Troll Content) and then the hunters can agree to stand down. :p

A prayer request would look like this: "TC Prayers Please CC"

All bases covered :lol:

:grouphug:

Jean, you're too wonderful for words.

:lol::lol::lol:

You might have just been a victim of the climate of suspicion and innuendo, just as FaithManor has been a victim of that climate. In that sort of climate, your innocent comment could be seen as expressing suspicion even if you didn't mean it to do so.

My point is that I've seen one post that questioned Faith. Just one. And Faith responded by saying she'd put that poster's name by her computer and make sure that she (Faith) questioned that poster if that poster ever bragged about her children.

Faith has posted more than once that people (multiple) are accusing her of lying and being a troll.

Where are all those accusatory posts?

Sometimes things need to be defused. And sometimes things need to be confronted - esp. when real people have been caused legitimate distress.

And sometimes after things are confronted, comes a good time to diffuse things a little, maybe...or maybe not. :001_smile:

Mountains

Chocolate silk pie

Cadbury eggs

Pysanky

Bach's St. Matthew Passion

Aretha Franklin

....these are a few of my favorite things...