Menu

POLL: For early elementary (K-3ish), our favorite math program is___

mhg

Which has been your math program for early elementary?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which has been your math program for early elementary?

• Saxon K-3
    • Math in Focus / Singapore
    • Math Mammoth
    • Horizons
    • Math-U-See
    • Miquon Math
    • BJU Math
    • R&S
    • A Beka
    • Other

Please give me your vote on your favorite math program for early elementary. (I admit in advance I don't know all of the favorites, so I'm listing the ones I'm most considering....I'm SURE there are many other GREATS out there).

(One more disclaimer: I realize there are two Singapores, namely the Primary Mathematics and the newer Math in Focus. This poll is meant to just assess the general Singapore approach so I didn't list the two versions/types).

(Now...if I can just figure out how to add the POLL!!!?!!!......)

Edited by mhg

Poll works :)

I chose Saxon, I am in love with it. It's funny because I know a lot of people hate it but I can't for the life of me figure it out :) My son is even pretty "mathy" and gets things pretty easily, and we're using it sort of "ahead", but we both really just like it.

We tried using Singapore and Math Mammoth and he disliked both of them. I wanted Singapore to work but when it came down to it, he's always used Saxon and he just prefers it.

I voted Math Mammoth. We used MFW's suggestions for K (Cusinaire Rods Alphabet book and 100 chart with craft sticks and rubber bands to group 10's) which I loved. We started with Singapore for 1st grade which was almost ok, but we've switched to Math Mammoth which is much better IMO.

Our main math program for 1-3 is Math Mammoth. LOVE it!!

I used Saxon with my oldest from Saxon K to Saxon 3. By Saxon 3, I was disenchanted with Saxon and decided to move to Math Mammoth. Even though my son was starting 3rd grade, the Math Mammoth approach was so different and so much more comprehensive, I started him over completely from MM level 1. He's worked through level 1 and 2 and is half way through level 3, and his mathematical understanding is SO much improved. I am a big fan!!

I still use Saxon K and Saxon 1 for pre-K and kindergarten, and then plan to transition my littles to Math Mammoth in first grade.

We also supplement with Cuisinaire Rods and RS Abacus. I also plan to supplement MM with a little bit of MEP and Singapore CWP once we get back to grade level in MM. Oh, and I use Abeka's K4 numbers curriculum for my three year olds as a gentle intro to number concepts. And I plan to add in Life of Fred once we've covered fractions in MM. So, we use a little of everything. :D

Modern Curriculum Press, then we switch to Saxon in the upper grades. But I used it differently than just as a workbook. I mostly taught from the TM and only used the workbook if the kids wanted to or if it seemed like they needed reinforcement. I personally think you can have a very light touch at math in the early grades. I think most programs overdo it and make children unnecessarily miserable!

We've used Rod and Staff, Ray's, TT, and an eclectic mix of worksheets and me trying to teach math. The only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing, that has stuck has been Math U See. It's all we'll use for K-2 from now on. At 3rd or 4th, depending on the child, we add in Saxon 5/4.