Menu

What are gas prices where you live?

I think our price here in England will top you all. £1.41/liter, so around £5.64/gallon. At the oanda exchange rate, that would be $9.11/gallon. I don't even like to think about it. It costs more in petrol to get to dd's gymnastics class/dc's swimming lessons/ds's tae kwon do than the classes themselves cost. :willy_nilly:

Edited by MeganP

Just filled up yesterday @ 4.05/gal. The total cost was almost $72!!! Ouch! At least I don't drive much - this should last all month.

DH is making good money, but drives about 60miles one way. I think our total gasoline cost is now topping $400/month.

We live in Lansing, MI.

Family emergency had me renting a car and driving from Bergen County, NJ to my hometown in Michigan - big tourist area. I left last Saturday and came back yesterday. Our prices in NJ were the lowest across the board when compared to PA, OH, IN and MI.

Bergen County - $3.87/gallon

PA - $3.99

OH - $4.08

IN - $4.33

MI - in my on the water tourist trap of a hometown - $4.37

I then wept quietly and wanted to puke.

But, like many people have stated, it is better than the European prices =/

Edited by july19
typo

Guest jab300

It's hovering around $4 here in NW Florida. When we took a trip to Disney this month we paid over $4 the further south we traveled. While we were at Disney a new gas station opened in our town and my oldest son (who didn't go with us on the trip) texted me that they were having $3 gas for the grand opening. Then all the neighboring gas stations did the same! He said lines for the pumps were crazy all over town, and once the local paper reported about it people were coming from other counties as well lol.

I do wonder, though, when there's an increase in the cost of living in general in other countries, aren't incomes generally higher also?

According to this website (which gathered information from the IMF), the gross national income of the US only ranks below that of Luxembourg and Norway. Average incomes are lower in every other nation.

Interesting, isn't it, that gas prices are always quick to rise and verrrryyyy ssssllllooowww to fall.

It's actually gone down here this past week (south central PA). It was hovering right at $3.99 for regular for a while, with a few pricier places hitting $4.00, and then this past week, it was about $3.89. We were out Wednesday in a nearby town, and I thought it was $3.89. Then when we passed that same place a couple of hours later, and it said $3.83. I'll take what I can get!

We're paying around $3.80-$3.90 in Kansas.

There was a story on NPR yesterday about the fact that most of the increase in spending these last few months has actually been an increase in the cost of things - people aren't buying more, they're just paying more. I believe it - between gas and food we don't do much of anything else.

This is what I tell myself every time I complain about gas prices. I do wonder, though, when there's an increase in the cost of living in general in other countries, aren't incomes generally higher also?QUOTE]

Cost of living in NZ is a lot higher than what my siblings pay in Vermont. That's the price we pay for living in paradise. ;) Incomes are not higher. The average wage is NZ$48k. Income tax up to $48k is 24%. Tax on income $48k+ is 33%. Everyone pays 15% GST on everything (food, fuel, doctors visits, books, etc., even on our taxes!!!) Minimum wage is NZ$12.50 & overtime isn't paid on many jobs until you've worked over 50hrs. that week.

Our family would be much better off financially if we had moved to the States or Australia 13 years ago, instead of moving to New Zealand. That said, you can't beat the life style here. :)

This is what I tell myself every time I complain about gas prices. I do wonder, though, when there's an increase in the cost of living in general in other countries, aren't incomes generally higher also?QUOTE]

Cost of living in NZ is a lot higher than what my siblings pay in Vermont. That's the price we pay for living in paradise. ;) Incomes are not higher. The average wage is NZ$48k. Income tax up to $48k is 24%. Tax on income $48k+ is 33%. Everyone pays 15% GST on everything (food, fuel, doctors visits, books, etc., even on our taxes!!!) Minimum wage is NZ$12.50 & overtime isn't paid on many jobs until you've worked over 50hrs. that week.

Our family would be much better off financially if we had moved to the States or Australia 13 years ago, instead of moving to New Zealand. That said, you can't beat the life style here. :)

How does NZ$12.50 compare to US dollars, anyone know? Our minimum wage here is US $8 something.

The PNW of the USA varies considerably, but last time I got gas (this week) it was $3.94 at Costco.

converting currency only is valid if you are spending US$ overseas or overseas money in the US. A more meaningful way of comparing cost of living would be to compare how many hours worked it costs to buy an average week's groceries for a family of 4 or how many hours one must work to fill the car with enough gas for the week.

i.e. We spend 10-15% of our take-home income on fuel for the cars & 30-40% of our take-home income on groceries.

When fuel prices rise, this has a carry-on effect in that many other prices rise as well.

$1.57 /litre for diesel here. No idea how to convert to American currency or gallons.

I know the Au dollar is over 108 US cents at the moment, but that is mostly because the US dollar is falling so much against other currencies.

Aussie costs currently convert to about USD6.10/gallon for mid range fuel.

This is what I tell myself every time I complain about gas prices. I do wonder, though, when there's an increase in the cost of living in general in other countries, aren't incomes generally higher also?

No, but cost of housing and most consumer goods are. The only thing which is cheaper for us than you is cost of health care.

converting currency only is valid if you are spending US$ overseas or overseas money in the US. A more meaningful way of comparing cost of living would be to compare how many hours worked it costs to buy an average week's groceries for a family of 4 or how many hours one must work to fill the car with enough gas for the week.

Yep.

Edited by keptwoman

I think our price here in England will top you all. £1.41/liter, so around £5.64/gallon. At the oanda exchange rate, that would be $9.11/gallon. I don't even like to think about it. It costs more in petrol to get to dd's gymnastics class/dc's swimming lessons/ds's tae kwon do than the classes themselves cost. :willy_nilly:

A US gallon is 3.78 litres. It is not the same as an Imperial gallon, which is slightly bigger. So, that would be £5.33/gallon and then whatever the exchange rate is.

ETA: I just looked up the UK/CDN rate and that would be $2.20/litre in CDN. :svengo: I think I would have a small heart attack if the prices here went up to that!

Edited by Audrey

$2.16 / litre this week (down from $2.22 / litre last week) That roughly translates to $8.64 / gallon, more than double the higher prices that you are paying in the States. We budget $100 for fuel for the family each week & that's with consolidating as many trips out as possible & we live in town. IF gas prices bounce back up as predicted we won't be visiting dd or watching ds#2's hockey tournament over Queen's Birthday weekend next month. :crying:

Wow. Allow me to stop complaining. :001_unsure:

No, but cost of housing and most consumer goods are. The only thing which is cheaper for us than you is cost of health care.

I wonder if it works out that way in the end, though? Is health care really cheaper if you're paying so much in taxes? That would be an interesting study if it could be done.

ETA: I just looked up the UK/CDN rate and that would be $2.20/litre in CDN. :svengo: I think I would have a small heart attack if the prices here went up to that!

Does the free health care cover heart attacks induced by taxes?:lol:

One of our state senators wants to raise gas taxes by .10/gal, and there are many of his constituents who are having blood pressure issues because of that suggestion!

I wonder if it works out that way in the end, though? Is health care really cheaper if you're paying so much in taxes? That would be an interesting study if it could be done.

Does the free health care cover heart attacks induced by taxes?:lol:

One of our state senators wants to raise gas taxes by .10/gal, and there are many of his constituents who are having blood pressure issues because of that suggestion!

I think that even taking into account health care being in our taxes, it's still cheaper. But as your (USA's) health insurance premiums vary so hugely from family to family, it may vary depending on the person. I wouldn't say we are paying "so much" in taxes, I'm not sure that we are paying that much more than you. I could do an estimate on a person earning $50K and $100K here in Australia including taxes on goods purchases if you like, and you could do the same for your area of the USA (I think taxes there vary from state to state yes? And your property taxes are much higher than ours I believe). It would be very much anecdotal, but interesting never the less.