Menu

What Is One Thing That You Do (Homeschool)...

1. To be with family more

2. To have picnics in the sun, or sit on the back swing, or in the shade of the tree, or at the park, or by the pool- READING together. learning, in the sun, and cool breeze and fresh air. Kids these days look sickly. They're all cramped inside all day and then into all their activities and daycares and they have sallow, yellow skin.

My homeschool friends kids are all tan, freckled, and well rested and exercised.

We have downtime--time in the day that isn't scheduled by me or anyone else. The girls start their day with an hour of play and get many other breaks through the day. I see school kids who have most every waking moment in their day scheduled--school, after school sports practice, homework. Then if they do get a holiday, they don't know what to do, how to fill their time with something other than television or video games.

...that you wish all schooled kids had the opportunity to do?

Just Curious :)

Be with their folks more and actually like it! *Ü* Being able to relax and know that who they are is enough, and ok. The peer pressure in public school is so brutal now a days... much worse than when we were kids. It even creeps in to youth groups...

Maybe even for them to have less on their schedules, just being a kid more.....

Just looking at "school" things...

Hear more stories. Fiction, history, biography, legends, myths, folktales, nonfiction.

OK, two things. Children should have the opportunity to work at their own level and to have time to explore their own interests.

OK, three things. All people need downtime. It not only keeps us sane, but lets the brain process information, thereby enhancing learning.

In addition to what everyone else has said, I would add extended field trips. When my oldest started fourth grade he needed to study our state. We took four days to travel around the state and really see the state. He learned the state bird after having it fly right by him, can give several unique facts about insects and soil after visiting the sand dunes, and learned so much more.

When studing the westward expansion we followed many of the old wagon trails. In one year we drove across every major river in the US. We have explored mining tunnels, walked along the Grand Canyon, visited Lincoln's boyhood home, seen Mount Rushmore (several times), played in the badlands, watched Old Faithful erupt, been stopped by heards of buffalo, stood in four states at once, looked over Hoover Dam, found shrimp in the ocean, hiked to old cliff dwellings, crossed the continental divide (numerous times), and many more wonderful hands on experiences that we learn so much from.

We try to camp and take back roads so we can really see our beautiful country. It is true educational and family bonding experience.

1. Be together as a family and enjoy being together...as Sally Field said, "They like me...they REALLY like me!"

2. Enjoy being a child...not feeling pushed to grow up faster.

3. Developing their OWN sense of style---my kids wear what they want to wear not based on what everyone wants to! And they both have a great style about them(opposites of course!)

4. Innocence...so many ps kids lose the ability to play,pretend and enjoy "just being" at such an early age.

To have a teacher (me) that is truly excited when they finally get it. To be able to spend time in an area when they are having difficulty with it and not rush into the next just because it is time to move on.

Also to be able to move on if they do have it down and not drudge them through mind numbing excersices just because we have to spend x amount of time doing this.

I just asked my oldest dd and she said you don't get called bad names.:D

Boy, I agree with everyone. We just got home from a little walk/scooter ride around the graveyard and field on our church property (we live on 40 acres). Dd picked a handful of buttercups, we counted the bumblebees on the bushes, we checked to see if the locust trees were still blooming, she climbed a little dogwood and investigated a caterpillar. She's eight, and so innocent.

We live an unhurried life most of the time. I love that. We saunter. We poke along. No one tells her to stay with the class, or keep up, or "get it finished."

She doesn't have to ask to get a drink or use the bathroom. There's a natural rhythm to the day, and to life. We can swing in the hammock, she can read for two hours at a time, we can play with the dog, we can make up stupid jokes. She can wear flowered pants that she's outgrown. No one laughs at her. No one says she's stupid. No one excludes her.

She can discover things and make comparisons across cultures, because we've soaked in the history and culture of other lands, not just America. We laugh if an experiment doesn't work. We can process AND produce.

We can choose.

Sometimes it's boring around here. Sometimes I wish I were better at introducing more art or dance or labeling the leaves in the backyard. But most of the time, I'm so happy she's had these years of wondering and exploring, of gentle learning and fretless living.

Next year it's public school. Hopefully she has a good foundation and it will all be alright.

Yes, many of the same things as already mentioned regarding both the lifestyle and education:

to have the opportunity to develop both close family relationships AND the skill of handling /working out the relational hard times

to have flexibility in daily/weekly/school schedules

to enjoy time for to develop own interests

to just enjoy being a kid w/out being rushed along to adulthood

to receive a rigorous, individualized education that takes into account both strengths & weaknesses

to have freedom to learn outside of a "one size fits all" setting

to be mentored & taught by those who love them most

to enjoy hours of reading on the couch!

I used to be a public school teacher and the one thing that I do that I wish I could have done for my students is that I teach my dc at their level and at their pace. I don't have to speed them up or slow them down because of someone else. I also teach my dc the word of God which I couldn't do in ps. Many children in the schools have horrible home lives and/or are very poorly disciplined and trained. I can do a much better job with my children at home than teachers are allowed to do at school.

- Read for fun, read to siblings, read with mom, just have lots of time to snuggle and read, history, science, classics, fun stuff. Not this mandated homework of "Read 20 minutes per day," but discovering that reading is simply a pleasure.

- Turn math, history, and science lessons into excuses to build with Legos. Legitimate excuses, even.

- Spend time with siblings and parents.

- Take the day off when (1) it's the first warm day of spring, (2) a bunch of new fluffy snow fell in the mountains, (3) it's Cinco de Mayo and we can go to the Hispanic shops, (4) the salmon are running at peak and you can see them at the fish ladder, (5) it's your birthday, and no one should have to work on their birthday, or (6) it's just a nice day to snuggle and read. And gee, it's not even a weekend day.

This is a great thread - after a somewhat stressful day of potty training the youngest I was losing sight of the big picture again. :) I agree with so much that's already been said, I just wanted to add that kids should get to pick their friends, not have to hang with the same group because that's where they've been assigned based on age or grade or any other arbitrary designation. The freedom to explore our world at their own pace would be at the top of my list as well.

I do agree with the previous posters, but I'd like to add in the opportunity to go on a lot more field trips than psers. We can go to every children's theater production, museum exhibit or local landmark that we want without having to sacrifice academics. Our flexible schedule allows the kids to have so many experiences schooled kids just don't have time for.

Just looking at "school" things...

Hear more stories. Fiction, history, biography, legends, myths, folktales, nonfiction.

OK, two things. Children should have the opportunity to work at their own level and to have time to explore their own interests.

OK, three things. All people need downtime. It not only keeps us sane, but lets the brain process information, thereby enhancing learning.

:iagree: 100%

To realize what life is like outside of status quo.

To have a safe, secure family environment where they can truly discuss their ideas, dreams and feelings.

To be inspired, encouraged and cherished on a daily basis within all their worthwhile pursuits.

To be able to comfortably be themselves with those around them.

Sleep in.

LOL -- that's just what I was going to write too. And, I agree w/ all the previous posters! Many of the things said echo my beliefs.

It's also nice that my kids don't have to scarf down their lunches or eat them at extremely early hours just to accomodate short lunchtimes or overcrowding issues (too many lunch periods, so some kids eat really, really early). My nephew inhales food & it's partly from having to eat that way at school -- if he buys lunch & isn't near the front of the line, he said he ends up w/ less than 5 minutes of actual eating time.

Also, we have a lot more time to enjoy extended family (grandparents, aunts, uncles) than kids who are tied to a 'regular' school schedule.

And, isn't math always more fun when there's a cat sitting on your book? :D

I agree -- be with their parents more.

I am so absolutely thankful that my boys get to snuggle me throughout the day, that they get to spend time together throughout the day, that we get to enjoy learning together.

I really think our family is so much closer because we homeschool.

I also love that I can teach whatever I/we feel like as opposed to what some board deems important for a certain age. This allows my children to enjoy learning more. So, I feel like they have more control over their learning.

I love that my boys don't spend their nights doing homework.

I love that my boys have so much creative free time.

At school around here kids learn quickly to act like they don't like their parents- my kids told me about it years after they left school, that they actually like their parents, as if that was wierd, so I questioned them further. At school, noone liked their parents. How sad. I am so grateful my kids like me :001_smile:

The first thing that came to mind when I read the OP though was "read lots and lots of books".

Oh, I almost forgot.

My boys get to stay up insanely late because they are devouring books. They then get to sleep in late.

I happen to be a night owl -- always have been. My boys read from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM because they don't have to rush off to anywhere in the morning. Tonight, their personal reading time started later than usual, so I let them read until 10:30 PM.

I am now having to go to the library 2-3 times a week now just to keep them in books. :tongue_smilie:

:001_smile: I would say time to explore interests, time with siblings, travel on our own schedule, and time with parents. Last night my 12ds and I got into a discussion about why he has to put his laundry away. We ended up talking about how we know God exists. He told me he was glad he could talk to me, that I didn't laugh at him and give him simple, silly answers! Wow! We are building a relationship; that is just hard to do if you don't have time together!

pick-up stick ball games at 9:30 each morning...

helping build a chicken coop together so little brother can raise chickens...

being able to stay up late to cheer on big brother at his ball games (since we can sleep a little later the next morning if needed)...

helping each other with livestock training for the 4H fair...

being able to help Dad/Nana/Pappy in the office each Friday (my eldest "works" there each week)...

Although the academics have been better at home, it is the relationship that my sons have developed that has made home schooling so great!

When our eldest goes to the engineering academy at the local ps next year, there is no doubt that his brothers will miss him being here with them!!

Not many kids these days can say that about their siblings!!