Menu

What do *you* do to broaden your child's vocabulary?

Plain_Jane

I have found that vocab programs have no effect what so ever on my gang. They can't remember the words most of the time but reading great literature has worked much better. When they are engulfed into a great book, they retain so much better. I have found them going to the dictionary on their own when they reach an unknown word and they actually remember it.

Wordly Wise is not working for my dd7 1/2 right now. I don't plan to dump it, just bring it back later. Beatrix Potter stories are hands-down my favorite way to introduce great vocabulary! I try to introduce new words in my own speech which they enjoy picking up. We also emphasize the derivatives in Prima Latina and also introduce greek roots usually in the context of science.

Michele

I agree with Laura--just by reading they get so much. I tried Wordly Wise (kept calling it World-ly Wise for the longest time!) but it was just busy work for dd8. Other levels may be different. Another great vocab builder is Latin--even Prima Latina has helped dd learn more words because of the derivatiives.

I wanted dd to have an outstanding vocabulary, but for me, context is key, so reading to her above her own level and using those words around the house has helped a lot.

For my younger boys, I just read, read, read. I also have them read every day. Finally, I deliberately use words that they probably don't know or that are not used often, and I use a synonym after that to let them know what the word means.

For example, I might say "I was livid! You know, very upset."

I honestly haven't had to do anything besides have tons of great literature at their disposal. Mine are both voracious readers and having quality books around for them to read has been the number one factor in their vocabulary development. I'm often surprised at the words and phrases they'll use (and correctly), but things you don't often hear kids their age saying.

Latin and I explain any words in books they don't know. Also, I don't talk down to them. I just talk the way I talk.

That is what we have always done. I stop and ask if he understands some of the words we read. His preschool teacher loved that he used the word "actually" a lot.

We are going through a short Vocabulary book from Teacher Created called Vocabulary Practice makes perfect. That is so he can understand the terminology, but he has always had good comprehension of words.

Read a lot out loud to them, read aloud together, or books on tape

- define the word as you come across it; vocab. sticks best when heard and explained in context and in the moment

- books above their reading level; classic books; British books; and books written before 1960 all tend to be well-written, with great vocabulary

Use Vocabulary

- we never spoke down to our children, but always used words we would have anyways (fortunately, I have a "wordsmith" DH -- he is very literate and uses language very precisely!)

Greek/Latin Roots (starting about grade 5)

- helps them make connections between words, and for new words to jumb out to them in their own reading

In Their Spelling

- still doing spelling in gr. 8 and 9 (no natural spellers here); individualized programs based on The ABCs and All Their Tricks, and I always try to include 2-3 words from that book that fit the phonetical pattern that will give them some vocabulary

I like to think of building vocabulary as a life-long process we do together -- like the medieval communities spending entire lifetimes building a cathedral together -- rather than a solo workbook activity. Just our experience! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- "Free Rice" website is a fun and helpful website for building your own exposure to new words, plus it sends free rice to the needy; my older son has gotten into doing this on his own, too! http://www.freerice.com/

Reading, reading, reading. Latin doesn't broaden DD's working vocabulary in and of itself, but she's a better guesser because of it when reading new words.

I don't intentionally work on my child's vocabulary, but here are some things that happen at our house:

reading

Megawords has vocabulary in it

Latin - particularly, our Latin tutor has the kids look up words every week. I think that they are English derivatives of Latin words in the chapter they are working on. I think this is helpful because at least they can see which English words are coming from Latin words they are learning.

I find the latter fascinating. Things like obsess comes from ob-in front of and sedere - to sit.

Read, listen, and watch! We read and listen to vocabulary rich books/poems/stories. Watch movies both in English and other languages that are rich in dialog. We also listen to radio shows like My Word, or Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me. It also does not hurt that dh is incapable of using age appropriate language, by this I don't mean curse words, just phrasing things in language that always seems a number of years above all our heads!

For my younger boys, I just read, read, read. I also have them read every day. Finally, I deliberately use words that they probably don't know or that are not used often, and I use a synonym after that to let them know what the word means.

For example, I might say "I was livid! You know, very upset."

When we hit a word in speaking or reading that's unusual, either I tell them what it means or they ask. Ds have always had great vocabularies without a whole lot of effort. Spelling's a whole "nuther" story!:lol:

1.Reading...thats includes their independent reading of choice for school.

2.Read-a-louds and audio stories

3. Magazines of interest or hobbies to them.

4. Scrabble-I had my kids playing Scrabble with me and their grandparents just when they could barely read and spell. We helped them but now they give us a great run for our money!

5. Crossword puzzles are a great way to introduce new words!

I have found that vocab programs have no effect what so ever on my gang. They can't remember the words most of the time but reading great literature has worked much better. When they are engulfed into a great book, they retain so much better. I have found them going to the dictionary on their own when they reach an unknown word and they actually remember it.

:iagree:

Apart from the going to the dictionary part :001_smile:. Usually they ask me instead of a dictionary, but I am encouraging them to use an online dictionary at least.

I have tried vocab programs and every time I feel it is busy work. There seems to be so little retention for the amount of time they take. They have a great vocabulary though, people often comment on it, and I put it down to lots of reading over many years.

Latin seems to help in the recognition of roots too.

My kids have expanded their vocabulary this year and I think it is due to these three things: (1) Reading quality books such as books found in the Sonlight catalog and Newbery award books; (2) Using Spelling Workout -- I require them to write the definitions for ten spelling words and also write a sentence using each word correctly; and (3) Writing with IEW -- they look for interesting adjectives and adverbs to use in their papers.

The only controlled vocabulary exposure I remember was during the 10th grade. My English teacher was fabulous! I remember her standing on her desk when delivering the Jonathan Edward's sermon. She made everything memorable.

Each day, she wrote a "quickie word" on the board including any affixes or root word clues. We wrote it into our notebook. We played games with these words, were quizzed on these words, and so forth.

I still remember several of the words.

Read alouds with words that stretch them, using "big" words in conversation, keeping a dictionary at the dinner table and looking up words for fun (this sometimes degrades...), studying Latin and pointing out roots of English words when we come to them. I've found that vocabulary programs aren't helpful enough to warrent the time spent.

Reading books like G.A. Henty or other written before 1950.

Wordly wise has helped somewhat, but is more beneficial for reading comprehension.

When my kids get older, I give them 5 words a week to define, spell, and write a sentence using the word. I test them at the end of each week, and then have a cumulative test at the end of each semester. I have seen these words subsequently pop up in their vocabulary, or in presentations, writing, and other projects randomly. I use a PSAT word list.

A basic Latin course has made a bit of a difference not only in vocabulary but also in learning other Latin based languages.

Pam

We do a lot of reading aloud of all kinds of high quality books. The kids also read on their own from lots of good books. I am sure to keep plenty of appealing and good quality choices on the book shelves for them to select from. I find that older publication dates (classics, etc) often have wider vocabulary than more recent pulications.

I also always take the time to cheerfully answer the "what does that mean" questions, no matter how many times I am interrupted reading. I take a moment to list a few synonyms, comment on usage/antonyms/etc. I don't worry about being Webster's correct, but just correct enough to allow reasonable usage. If I really have no idea, we look the word up.

Kid: "What does "sycophant" mean?"

Mom: "A sycophant is someone who flatters someone too much and is not sincere, as in they don't mean what they are saying. . . like they are trying to butter them up. A sycophant says, "Oh, wonderful boss-of-mine, you have the most beautiful hair. . . I love your shirt. . . You are the best boss in the whole world, such wise choices you make. . . " I often make it silly and go over-board.

You get the idea. . .

Other reading interruptions might get a cranky response if they occur too often, but understanding the meaning of the reading is never considered an interruption, but just part of the process.

I think reading, reading, reading of good books is the best, easiest and most enlightening way of expanding vocabulary.

I also define words (via synonym or few-word-explanation) frequently during conversations and/or reading aloud if I sense it is a new word. If I were recorded, I probably do this hundreds of times a day, largely unconciously and I doubt my dc have any idea that I do this, as it is just part of my natural communication style with them.

It just takes 5-10 seconds but helps turn that word into a word they will likely remember forever.

When they learn vocab that way (the same way they've learned every other word they know), they OWN it, use it and it becomes part of their natural language in a way that vocabulary very rarely does if learned artificially.

I'd guess that whatever time is spent in a vocabulary-expanding program would be better spent in more reading.

I only plan to do intentional vocabulary study for a year or so around age 15-16 (just in time for the SATs) and at that time, we'll use some commercially available SAT vocab-prep list(s) of 1000 words, or whatever.

FWIW, we also study Latin and Spanish. I do think the Latin will expand their vocabulary, even though that isn't my primary aim. (And, if it *were*, I think the time would be better spent with more reading!)

People learn words best in context, so I agree with everyone that elementary school vocab work probably isn't needed.

In high school I think it's worth it to cover some vocab, because some of the words you're expected to know for the SAT are a little out there and don't come up much.

Read-alouds here, too. I try to use books that have vocabulary that's more unfamiliar and quickly explain what they mean as I read-aloud the story. Also, I'm having the kids use Wordly Wise (the old version) starting in 4th grade. This is working well with ds11 so far, but I'm not sure how dd8 will do with it next year, as far as retention goes. But it takes about 10 min./day, so it's easy to fit in.

I use Spelling Workout and I think it really becomes a vocab program for the last two or three books. I'm also using Wordly Wise 3000 with my younger son. My older worked through all the Vocab from Classical Roots books, but I'm less than satisfied with the results (maybe it was just the person studying it).....

In real life, I don't dumb down my language for my children and I use a pretty varied vocabulary. They ask when they don't understand (so does my husband, LOL). Over time, they begin to incorporate some of my common language usage into theirs.

Reading, reading, reading.

Listening to books on tape/cd.

Having conversations about what we're reading, what we're studying, or just having conversations in general.

Copywork.

I have been amazed to hear my dd6 use the words malicious and revolted this week.

My kids are young, but so far anyway, they just seem to pick it up from reading, copywork and life.

:)

Melissa

We read and talk a lot. We've never talked down to the girls and always try to answer any questions or explain things where they can understand. If I use a word Becca's not familiar with, she always asks and I define it for her as best as I can. I also take nerdy glee in giving the girls crazy, wordy things to say. :D

I would guess the best way to increase vocabulary is just to use a lot of big words with your kids. And be ready to define them--or just do it out of habit. Ask if they understand a word in a read aloud.

However, I do think that vocabulary programs can have some impact. I can think of words that I learned as a youth just because they sounded cool: syzygy, benthic and abecedarian come to mind. I'm a bit of a word geek, so we'll continue on after finishing SWO with some sort of vocabulary program I'm sure.

Pretty much many of the same things that everyone else has mentioned:

lots of reading/good books

normal, adult conversation/vocabulary

defining/giving synonyms as needed

exposure to Latin/Greek roots &/or other languages

word games (Scrabble, crosswords, Apples to Apples)

etc....

Also, I picked up Vocabulary Cartoons to start in the fall. I figure we can pick a few words a week & then we'll try to do something like use those words as much as possible that week, make silly sentences, etc... (My dc love goofy stuff like that.)

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is using books that are companion guides to some popular literature. For example, my dc love the Harry Potter books & I got a book called "The Sorcerer's Companion". The book basically is an alphabetical listing of many of the creatures, legends, etc... used in the HP stories, but it gives the history, folklore, and mythology behind those things. Since it's a topic they are already interested in, this just builds the knowledge (& lets them see connections across literature) while expanding their vocabulary. We tend to read a couple of entries together during lunch. For example, one of the items we read today was on banshees. Both kids were aware of the word from reading it in the HP books, but really didn't know what a banshee is. Now they know a much better definition/description/history of the folklore & are much more likely to remember it going forward, imo. I've seen these types of books for LOTR and Narnia books; there are probably plenty of others too.

From the time they were babies, I just talked to them as I would to any other intelligent human being. When they didn't know what a word meant, they asked. I would definte it for them and, if I wasn't 100% sure of the official definition, we looked it up together in the dictionary.

On top of that, they were read to from the time they were in their cribs and both have become big readers on their own.

They've each studied at least three languages on a more-than-casual leve. (Latin, Spanish and German for my daughter; Latin, Spanish and adding Greek next year for my son). And we actively talk about the derivatives of these languages in English and about how to take apart a word and figure out its meaning from its roots.

They've both played with the Word Roots software from Critical Thinking, too. However, it is my impression that the program has been most helpful in teaching them how to approach dissecting a word, rather than in making them memorize specific prefixes, suffixes and roots.

I've honestly never understood the point of studying vocabulary as though it is a subject on its own. Words are meant to be used and understood in context.

All you have to do, starting when they're young, is try and figure out ways to talk in 'code' about things you don't want them to know about, using synonyms.

Example...

Me, to Husband: "When the children go to bed...(eyes 5yo)...we can partake of the frozen dairy product."

5yo: "Ice cream?!? Can I have some?!?!"

Or, an honest-to-goodness example, from today...

Me, again, to Husband (see a pattern, here?): "So...I'm going to travel to S-O-N-I-C*, and purchase an item--"

3yo: "CAN I COME?!?"

*Trying to fool your kids is also a great way to enhance any spelling program. Even before my kids can truly spell, they know that we spell good things, and so they begin trying to crack the code. I've had a toddler, who had no idea what we were talking about, shout, "I want some LMNOP!!", when we tried to spell something in front of her.

In all seriousness...I'll echo those who say, "Read good books". And keep a good dictionary around. And say, frequently, "Look it up!!"

:)

I find that Dd remembers words better when she learns them in context.

However, we did participate in a Wordmasters team this year, and to my surprise, although DD did not enjoy this, she has continued to remember the words that we focussed on learning for that. It was interesting to me to see what words she didn't know. For instance, although she knows a lot of pretty long descriptive words (LOTR fan, for sure!), she didn't recognize or understand the word "slob"--which I take as a sign that we are kind but sheltered in our family!

We also have used Vocabulary Vine a bit. DD likes that because it enables her to surmise the meanings of words from their roots, like deciphering a secret code. But, she doesn't like to do it by herself and it tends to fall by the wayside because of my other teaching focusses. We have not gotten to the biology roots set yet, but I think that that one is excellent.